Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:48:11 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 15:42:57 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

The auto lights are weird too ,,.

Mine come on a little before I'd think, "hum ought to turn the

lights
on",

Surely that's adjustable?

If it is I've not found it.

How absurd that personal preference for lighting is not included. What's the chances of its setting being anything like what you want?

And do they have two brightnesses, where you turn on sides, then dips?

Fairly new car so has DLRs. The DLRs are brighter than the sides and
come on when you switch the lights to "off" or "auto" with a high
light level. With low light level the DLRs are switched off and
headlights on, but in the state they where last used, (dipped/main).
Being rural if I arrive home at night I'll be on main beam...

If I get a car with DRLs, the first thing I'll do is disable them. Shining bright lights at people when it's broad daylight is beyond stupid. It does not make you more visible, it just distracts people.

The side light position switches the DLRs off and sidelights on.

If it's bright daylight, the fog isn't thick enough to see lights. What
distance of visibility do you have at that point?

I've not driven in daylight fog since the occasion that the damn
thing silently switched the lights off(*). Well switched to DLRs at
the front but switched the rear lights and rear fogs off. IIRC
visibilty was such that dipped head lights and rear lights should
have been on. This was on a quiet motorway, rear fogs a good idea, so
the wazzocks doing 70 plus have as much chance as possible of seeing
me... (yes I do know how to switch them off and do so when visibilty
is reasonable and/or there is some one following me).

(*) Of course now I know it might silently switch things off I may
well select "manual".

What distance of visibility did you have for unlit objects?

--
Confucius say: "Man who sit on tack get point!"