George Eberhardt

Default Windscreen wipers frozen to windshield

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run the
engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Barb Grajewski

George Eberhardt wrote:
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run the
engine and turn on the heat?

Um, uh, use a window scraper and simply dislodge them???

Patch

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the
engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

A pan of hot water always works for me.

Jim Thompson

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:59:32 -0600, "Patch"
wrote:

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the
engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

A pan of hot water always works for me.

For the four miserable years I lived in Massachusetts I kept a bottle
of windshield washer antifreeze in the car. Pour it along the wiper,
start the car and run the defroster for a few minutes.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

blue

George Eberhardt wrote:

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run the
engine and turn on the heat?

At Home Depot the other day, right near the checkout, they had some sort
of deicer product that was meant to be put on windshields to prevent ice
from forming and to prevent the wipers from getting iced up. It also
said that it could be used to deice windshields and wipers. For the life
of me I can't remember the name of the product but if you have a Home
Depot near you, you might want to check it out.

--
Remove YOUR CLOTHES to email me.

Mark Jerde

Patch wrote:

A pan of hot water always works for me.

My brother in law /used/ to do that. ;-) The last time the windshield
cracked.

-- Mark

George Eberhardt

"Barb Grajewski" wrote in message
George Eberhardt wrote:
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has

been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the
engine and turn on the heat?

Um, uh, use a window scraper and simply dislodge them???

My wife tried that but she has rotator cuff injuries and can't put much
force into it.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

George Eberhardt

"Patch" wrote in message

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has

been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the
engine and turn on the heat?

A pan of hot water always works for me.

I was looking for something more hi tech, but I think she should be able to
arrange that. Thanks!

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Jerry G.

We get this all the time up here in Montreal.

I just make sure that the motor is running with the defroster at max, and
use the scraper to work around them, without directly slashing at the
rubber. Eventually by scraping the ice along them, and sort of banking on
the support stem with my hand (not excessively hard), they will get freed
up. It is a good idea to look in to having the heavy duty winter type
wipers for your car. The summer ones are not very good, especially in the
winter time. The winter ones are very heavy duty, and are worth the extra
cost. They will also clean the snow off the windscreen while driving on the
highway during a snow storm.

Before using the wipers on any car during the winter, make sure that the
windscreen is clean from frozen snow and ice. This can put excessive
resistance on the wiper motor, wiper gearbox, and arm assemblies. If you are
lazy to clean the snow and ice off the windows manually before using the
wipers, you may shortly find yourself replacing a lot of parts.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run the
engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Jerry G.

When it is about -20 and colder over here, I would love to see what a pan
of water will do on a nice cold windscreen. I would make sure that there is
nobody sitting inside, or anything of any value the car first!

--

"Patch" wrote in message

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the
engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

A pan of hot water always works for me.

Jerry G.

I once tried that stuff, and it didn't work all that well all the time.
Also, when it did, it didn't last. The best thing is to start the car with
the defroster on full high. Then start scraping and cleaning all the other
windows first. Most of the time, by the time you get to the front
windscreen, it is starting to be warm enough to be easily cleaned.

--

"blue" wrote in message
George Eberhardt wrote:

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the
engine and turn on the heat?

At Home Depot the other day, right near the checkout, they had some sort
of deicer product that was meant to be put on windshields to prevent ice
from forming and to prevent the wipers from getting iced up. It also
said that it could be used to deice windshields and wipers. For the life
of me I can't remember the name of the product but if you have a Home
Depot near you, you might want to check it out.

--
Remove YOUR CLOTHES to email me.

Mzone719

this isn't that complicated..for a buck fifty buy a can of de-icer which they
have at any auto store or hardware store. spray it on and go to town!
Goedjn

A pan of hot water always works for me.

I was looking for something more hi tech, but I think she should be able to
arrange that. Thanks!

It's probably too late now, but cold water is safer for the
windshield, and works nearly as well. The correct answer is
still to turn on the defrost, and wait.

b&k

In future, if freezing rain is forecast, I suggest you raise the blades so
they are sticking up. Less freezing rain adheres to the blades this way in
my experience. You will still have a problem if you have summer wipers - get
winter ones (they are encased in a rubber jacket so that the joints don't
get jammed with ice).

With the blades up it is easier to knock the ice build up off.

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the
engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

m Ransley

The winshield will break with hot water on it and it doesnt have to be
-20 , + 30f and it will break

William Brown

Patch wrote:
"George Eberhardt" wrote in message

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the

engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

A pan of hot water always works for me.

35 years ago we lived on an Air Force base in Illinois, where freezing
rain was common. After the first episode each year, you would see a lot
of the newcomers out there with a cracked windshield from pouring hot
water (a teapot was common) on it. Of course, windshields today are a
lot thinner, so perhaps the hot water would not damage them.
there.

Joe Bobst

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run the
engine and turn on the heat?

Keep a spritzer bottle of IsoHeet in the car. It's pure isopropyl alcohol and
won't damage paint or rubber, but does a number on ice very nicely. Get the
product at any auto parts place. Does pretty well on frozen door locks, too.
HTH

Joe

Phisherman

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:22:26 -0500, "George Eberhardt"
wrote:

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run the
engine and turn on the heat?

Just run the engine and turn on the defroster until it melts. I fyou
pull them away from the glass they can easily tear. Next time move
the wipers off the windshield. Some of the de-icer sprays could
damage your car finish.
Joseph Meehan

You are going to want to warm the window up anyway before driving so you
can see. If she can't free up the wiper due to the rotator cuff (been there
done that, tell her good luck the therapy is difficult but worth it) she
will not be able to scrap off the window and the wiper will not be able to
do it by itself.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

George Eberhardt wrote:
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to

the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has

been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious

run
the
engine and turn on the heat?

Um, uh, use a window scraper and simply dislodge them???

My wife tried that but she has rotator cuff injuries and can't put much
force into it.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Tom

Des wrote:

Pour boiling water over them until they free up.

Whoa. Warm/hot water is plenty. Could crack something if the thermal shock is
great enough... Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....
dkarnes

Tom wrote:

Des wrote:

Pour boiling water over them until they free up.

Whoa. Warm/hot water is plenty. Could crack something if the thermal shock is
great enough... Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....

please don't use hot water will crack.

Jim Yanik

"George Eberhardt" wrote in
:

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to
the windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which
has been predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious
run the engine and turn on the heat?

Don't they still make those deicing sprays? 12 oz cans of some stuff,I used
to buy it when I lived up in the Winter Wonderlands.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
m Ransley

And if no water is avalaible pee on the winshield

George Eberhardt

Thanks for all the good advice. My wife finally used warm water and the
heater and got it all cleaned up nicely. She said that the worst was the
drivers side window, and that took additional time.

Thanks,
George

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the
engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

Larry Bud

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message ...
My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run the
engine and turn on the heat?

I'm just wondering if you're sitting in front of your computer waiting
for an answer from a newsgroup!

Your wife's car will be hot by the time you get the right answer.
HerHusband

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to
the windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which
has been predicted for this part of New Jersey.
Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious
run the engine and turn on the heat?

I read that you already got the wipers unstuck.

For the future, I wonder if you could prevent the problem in the first
place by parking the car in a garage or covering the windshield with a
tarp?

Just a thought...

Anthony
Daniel L. Belton

Patch wrote:

"George Eberhardt" wrote in message

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to the
windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which has been
predicted for this part of New Jersey.

Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious run

the

engine and turn on the heat?
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

A pan of hot water always works for me.

A pan of hot water can crack the windshield, too... plus it freezes
back and then the wipers are stuck even harder...
Conase

My wife just called to say that the windscreen wipers are frozen to
the windscreen. Its probably the result of some freezing rain, which
has been predicted for this part of New Jersey.
Can anybody suggest any way to unfreeze them, other than the obvious
run the engine and turn on the heat?

I read that you already got the wipers unstuck.

For the future, I wonder if you could prevent the problem in the first
place by parking the car in a garage or covering the windshield with a
tarp?

Just a thought...

Anthony

A method to 'prevent' the problem :

on some cars you can LIFT the wiper blades off the windshield during snow or
ice or at night

barring that, work the wipers til they are in the middle of the windshield and
turn off the car = easier to work them free vs being in a SOLID BLOCK of ice at
BASE of windshield here in New Jersey