Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 00:53:03 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 21:43:43 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

My current car combines the "auto on/off" with a single wipe, which is
****ing annoying. Luckily a quick pull to wash doesn't have time to fire
the washer but does a wipe ...

The auto wipers work well on my car, variable sensitivity to rain and
go from a single wipe as required to double speed flat out. Trouble
is the "single wipe as required" can happen on a lightly fly splatted
windscreen converting it from one can be seen through to one with
smeared fly splat that isn't... The auto doesn't cancel when you
switch off, but static snow frost doesn't trigger 'em. The heated
windscreen means that the blades aren't still frozen to the screen by
the time the rain sensor "sees water" and triggers a wipe. With frost
and light snow it's almost a fully automatic self clear.

The auto lights are weird too ,,.

Mine come on a little before I'd think, "hum ought to turn the lights
on",

Surely that's adjustable?

And do they have two brightnesses, where you turn on sides, then dips?

so they stay in auto, unless the hill fog is getting a bit thick
and I switch dipped off and just use the front fogs. Far less glare,
not much reach but then visibilty will be down to only a few tens of
yards anyway.

What they will do is switch off in bright daylight fog! Ok there is a
light on the instrument panel but if you're concentrating on what's
outside. I wish it would "bong" when ever it changes the state of an
indicator lamp. Ideally "bong" for pay attention and "bing" for
happy.

It's not as if it has a shortage of bongs. It'll use them with gay
abandon if the car is moving and your seatbelt isn't fastened, a door
is open and engine running and/or lights left on.

If it's bright daylight, the fog isn't thick enough to see lights. What distance of visibility do you have at that point?

--
A Irish family is sitting in the living room.
The wife turns to the husband and says, "Let's send the kids out back to p-l-a-y , so we can ****."