Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 20:49:33 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:24:49 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:40:39 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:20:12 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:27:19 -0000, Bod
wrote:
On 13/01/2017 11:48, NY wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in
message news On 13/01/17 08:49, NY wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in
message news Why tepid? I run the hottest water I can from the hot
tap and fling it liberally on to the screen. Been doing
it for oodles of years with no problems.

Tim

I pour a just boiled kettle on it

Thermal shock of boiling water on glass that is at around
zero degrees.

yes. helps get the ice off

Don't want to crack my windscreen. Also, I'm not sure
whether the rubber of the wiper blades and the surround to
the windscreen (between glass and car body) would
withstand boiling water.

I can assure you they all can*, but the water is down at
around 20 degrees by the time it reaches them.

*black metal easily reaches 100 degrees in tropical sun.

Ah, maybe I'm being over-cautious, then. What about water at
100 meeting glass at around 0 - isn't there a risk of the
glass cracking? I've heard of people that it has happened to
in this situation.

Probably best to play safe and wait about 30 secs after
the kettle has boiled. by the time you get outside it should
be well off of boiling.

Probably 90. I prefer to boil half a kettle, then fill it up
from the cold tap. That makes the glass plenty warm enough to
stay unfrozen until you've got the car going.

You could always fill the kettle from the hot water tap. Oh,
hang on!!!!!!!!!!

A decent kettle boils in a minute or so.

Of course the "logical" way is to cover the windscreen up. This
is logical Mr Hucker.
I got two windscreen covers from Aldi three years ago. One for
the back, one for the front. £1.99 each.
They take seconds to put on and work very well.

But you have to know it's going to be frosty the next day.

Google is your fiend.

We cannot predict the future. Anyway, a kettle is less hassle on
the few days that need it.

We can forecast frost with a lot of accuracy.
Most days this time of year will be frosty in Jockland, as you well
know.

Actually, my car has had a frosted windscreen only once this winter.

The covers only take seconds to put on and take off.

Not much longer for a kettle, and no forward planning necessary.

Pillock.

Try replying in an adult fashion, if you can.

You are a sad lonely little man with no woman, no money and no aspirations.
Thus, you are a pillock.

TTFN, you have entertained us all again.