Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no ignition light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog standard charger cant put charge into it at all.
Is the battery likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the charge?
ta
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2016 21:16, misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no
ignition light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent
times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I
have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog
standard charger cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery
likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to
loose the charge? ta

Modern car batts don't respond well if deep discharged - so there is a
fair chance it well on the way to knackered.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no ignition
light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I have
tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I have used a
fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog standard charger cant
put charge into it at all.
Is the battery likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for
a month to loose the charge?
ta

Alas probably yes.

If you're using the car that infrequently it may be time to think about
alternatives. Hiring a car once a month would be a lot cheaper that
keeping/taxing/insuring/replacing the battery on a car used that
infrequently.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/31/2016 10:34 PM, Tim+ wrote:
misterroy wrote:
[...]

The other solution, unless it is parked on the road, is to keep it wired
up to a small trickle charger. A motorbike one would be enough.

I have a small van which is sometimes left for a month or so, and it has
a small battery which is readily flattened if the lights are left on
(e.g. in a shopping centre car park: being a very basic van it does not
have a "bleeper"). My "fix" for that is to keep something similar to
this in it. (Also comes in handy as a phone charger). These hold their
charge for ~ 6 months.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50800mAh-C...sAAOSwnNBXbM-h
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 31/08/2016 21:16, misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no
ignition light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent
times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I
have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog
standard charger cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery
likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to
loose the charge? ta

Modern car batts don't respond well if deep discharged - so there is a
fair chance it well on the way to knackered.

Car batts ever have responded well to being discharged. The op may well
find that something like an alarm or immobiliser is slowly discharging
the battery. If you are leaving it unused for some time best disconnect
one lead.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:45:04 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 8/31/2016 10:34 PM, Tim+ wrote:
misterroy wrote:
[...]

Or a small solar panel on the dash (depending on which way it's facing
of course). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last easter
and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month later I went
to move the car again and the battery was dead, no ignition light. I cant
remember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I have tried to move it
the battery has had to be charged and I have used a fancy charger borrowed
from a friend because my bog standard charger cant put charge into it at
all.
Is the battery likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a
month to loose the charge?
ta

Mine went flat overnight when (it seems) the AC fan didn't turn off, I
didn't realise. I charged it up and its been fine ever since.
I always check now that the car is making no noise (after a few mins).
Ford Fiesta crud (progress).
If you get the battery checked somewhere (which will prolly screw it
[drawing zillions of amps forever]), buy a new one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:47:28 +0100, bert wrote:

Car batts ever have responded well to being discharged. The op may well
find that something like an alarm or immobiliser is slowly discharging
the battery.

yep, all manner of stuff is quietly running when the car is "off".
Mine apparently is aware of this problem and if the battery voltage
gets too low (FSVO "too low") it goes into a really deep sleep and
has to be opened manually, via the one door that actually has a
(hidden) key hole.

If you are leaving it unused for some time best disconnect one lead.

Or do as I did when I left my car unused for the last month. A small
solar panel(*) on top of the dash board facing SE, connected to the
battery. Car opened and started without a hint of a flat battery. Not
conclusive, one would need to leave it for a month without the solar
panel and see if it went into deep sleep, that's not going to happen.

(*) Halfords/Maplin £15 15" x 5" ish, 12 V, 1.5 W, 86 mA at max
power.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
[...]

Yep, this is progress.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 31 August 2016 22:50:13 UTC+1, bert wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
[...]

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/16 21:16, misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no ignition light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog standard charger cant put charge into it at all.
Is the battery likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the charge?
ta

Do you have a car alarm or something that is draining the battery?

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/16 03:28, bm wrote:
[...]

Finally, a use for a solar panel.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."
"Don't what?"
"Think about Gay Marriage."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 31/08/16 21:16, misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no
ignition light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent
times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I
have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog
standard charger cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery likely
to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the
charge? ta

Do you have a car alarm or something that is draining the battery?

or a radio?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes even when the car is just sitting there some do use quite a bit out of
the battery as people soon find out to their cost. The old dodge of
disconnecting it is no good as somemany bits of the car seem to lose their
memories when you do that, according to a breakdown guy over the road who
seems to be one of those loud voiced blokes who lets his wisdom flow
loudly. Lets just say its yet anothreason why I'm not bothered by not being
able to drive....
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/08/2016 21:16, misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no
ignition light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent
times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I
have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog
standard charger cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery
likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to
loose the charge? ta

Modern car batts don't respond well if deep discharged - so there is a
fair chance it well on the way to knackered.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/16 09:12, Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

Well to be fair SOME onboard computers may lose SOME of their
*configurations*

Examples a car radio anti-theft kicking in and needing the code to be
re-entered.

*some* immobilisers kicking in, and the car won't start

*some* other systems losing their marbles. ISTR that sometimes window
warning lights come on until various resets establish where 'window
closed' is..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:12:00 +0100, Scott M wrote:

harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

Not to mention the spelling and grammar errors!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 01/09/16 09:12, Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

Well to be fair SOME onboard computers may lose SOME of their
*configurations*

Examples a car radio anti-theft kicking in and needing the code to be
re-entered.

I was thinking you'd need the radio's code if you disconnected the
battery for that long. OTOH the OP has tested all this by running the
battery right down, and he hasn't complained about the radio not working
or the immobiliser stopping the car working.

*some* immobilisers kicking in, and the car won't start

*some* other systems losing their marbles. ISTR that sometimes window
warning lights come on until various resets establish where 'window
closed' is..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no ignition
light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I have
tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I have used a
fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog standard charger
cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery likely to be knackered?
Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the charge?

You'd need to contact the maker and see how long they reckon it can be
left without use. Remember reading of one where the makers said it
couldn't be left for three weeks while going on holiday...

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

OBC usually refers to a user 'computer' on the car that does things like
MPG and journey times, etc. The ones which control the engine etc more
commonly called an ECU. (electronic control unit)

It's quite possible a flat battery can cause some things to be lost. Maybe
the radio station memory. But a very poor design if it is anything
important.

Many ECUs do 'learn' how the car is driven to some extent. But should
default back to the factory settings if the battery is disconnected for
some time. And quickly learn again. The ECU controlling an auto gearbox
being the obvious one. But in any case updates quickly if you alter your
driving style.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

*Tsk*. Lose not loose and its, not it's. On board should either be one word
or hyphenated. The rest of it's ******** too. ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Fit a battery isolating switch. Battery should stay up for about 3
months minimum.Would then need recharging. Alternatively fit a plug in
trickle charger. I have to do this on one of our cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 8/31/2016 10:34 PM, Tim+ wrote:

wrote:

[...]

IME these don't charge sufficiently.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Scott wrote:

harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

OBC usually refers to a user 'computer' on the car that does things like
MPG and journey times, etc. The ones which control the engine etc more
commonly called an ECU. (electronic control unit)

It's quite possible a flat battery can cause some things to be lost. Maybe
the radio station memory. But a very poor design if it is anything
important.

Many ECUs do 'learn' how the car is driven to some extent. But should
default back to the factory settings if the battery is disconnected for
some time. And quickly learn again. The ECU controlling an auto gearbox
being the obvious one. But in any case updates quickly if you alter your
driving style.

Agreed, I've left all our cars disconnected for up to a year and
the OBC relearns in about 20 minutes. Various ages of car. The only car
which lost it's marbles was a friends GM Oldsmobile, where it was
designed in as an anti theft measure and the reconfigure routine was a
total pain in the butt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/16 12:37, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no ignition
light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I have
tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I have used a
fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog standard charger
cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery likely to be knackered?
Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the charge?

You'd need to contact the maker and see how long they reckon it can be
left without use. Remember reading of one where the makers said it
couldn't be left for three weeks while going on holiday...

Chrysler Voyager.

Sell it.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 01/09/2016 10:59, Tim+ wrote:
Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

*Tsk*. Lose not loose and its, not it's. On board should either be one word
or hyphenated. The rest of it's ******** too. ;-)

Tim

Surely, it would be more correct to say "Onboard should either be one
word or hyphenated", "On-board should either be one word or hyphenated",
or "'On board' should either be one word or hyphenated"?

Not that either of us is in any way being pedantic.

)))

PS: Not forgetting that rule of Usenet concerning correcting grammar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/09/16 12:37, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Why? Most of the Chrysler products fom 1995 to 2012 approx have the
same problem. Providing you know about it it's not important. A friend
with a new 2016 Subaru has exactly the same thing occurring. It's known
as a design improvement!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:59:17 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

*Tsk*. Lose not loose and its, not it's. On board should either be one
word or hyphenated. The rest of it's ******** too. ;-)

So, it *is* ok after all, for me to add "onboard" to Pan's dictionary
instead of hyphenating "on board"? :-)

I guess Harry's ghostly presence[1] isn't totally useless after all.
Who'd have known? :-)

[1] That ghastly presence of a killfiled[2] troll which manifests itself
as quotage[3] within other posters'[4] follow ups.

[2] Yet another compound word that I've added to Pan's dictionary too!

[3] A more questionable addition to Pan's dictionary but Urban dictionary
and wordnik suggest this is likely to make it into the OED within a
decade or so. I'm just anticipating (and doing my 'bit' to assist) this
"official endorsement". :-)

[4] That is of course, posters who either aren't aware of the killfile
filter, see Harry as a source of amusement rather than as a festering pit
of toxic misinformation (the opposite of a "Font of Knowledge") or else
simply CBA to utilise the killfile filter to "Send him to Coventry" in
the first place.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:31:14 +0100, GB wrote:

On 01/09/2016 10:59, Tim+ wrote:
Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

*Tsk*. Lose not loose and its, not it's. On board should either be one
word or hyphenated. The rest of it's ******** too. ;-)

Tim

Surely, it would be more correct to say "Onboard should either be one
word or hyphenated", "On-board should either be one word or hyphenated",
or "'On board' should either be one word or hyphenated"?

Not that either of us is in any way being pedantic.

)))

I've decided that "onboard" (and "killfile" and "killfiled") *do* belong
in Pan's spelling dictionary. They all seem to be more legitimate
additions than the compound words "binge-watch" and "binge-view" that
have made it into the OED fairly recently.

PS: Not forgetting that rule of Usenet concerning correcting grammar.

That P.S. looks to me rather like a 'hedge' against Murphy (a minor
'hands on' deity) whose self appointed task seems to be the strict
application of "Sod's Law" at every possible opportunity. :-)

Strictly (and pedantically) speaking, your P.S. has provided Murphy that
opportunity since "concerning correcting grammar" ought to have been more
clearly expressed as "concerning attempts to correct grammatical
errors" :-)

However, some may well argue 'common usage' and that no loss of the
intended meaning has ensued as a result, thus making it an acceptable
"colloquialism". Murphy otoh, will always assign "The benefit of the
doubt" in favour of the pedant's interpretation[1] and rule himself "The
Winner" (he *is* a deity after all, even if only a minor one). :-)

[1] My, my! I *am* taking chances with all these long words. Tempting
fate with regard to Sod's Law. BTW, I'm blaming Pan's spell checker for
any misspellings there may be in this Murphy baiting exercise. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
So, it *is* ok after all, for me to add "onboard" to Pan's dictionary
instead of hyphenating "on board"? :-)

Depends. Are you doing a GCSE anytime soon? Or should that be any time?

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:57:49 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

If you are leaving it unused for some time best disconnect one

lead.

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Not heard of any car that becomes brain dead or confused if it any of
its computers loses power. The ECU may well forget the engine
settings but it will then load a basic "these will work" set and
relearn the engine over the next hundred miles or so.

Note "computers", a modern car has loads of the things. Very few if
any sub-systems don't have a processor of some sort
controling/watching over/reporting that sub-system. "Sub-system" can
mean a single door...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 12:28:19 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Or a small solar panel on the dash (depending on which way it's

facing
of course). ;-)

IME these don't charge sufficiently.

Worked for me. At least the car was quite happy when I came to unlock
and start it up after being left for a month. I don't intend to
perform the opposite test leave it a month without the solar panel. I
might see if I can measure how much draw there is once it's been
"off" overnight as cars tend to have several sleep states.

But even if the solar panel is only providing half of what is taken
that doubles the lenght of time it takes for the car to go into a
coma.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 16:41:09 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
So, it *is* ok after all, for me to add "onboard" to Pan's dictionary
instead of hyphenating "on board"? :-)

Depends. Are you doing a GCSE anytime soon? Or should that be any time?

Well, I have no plan to do so right now (but who knows?), so it's purely
a matter of personal preference intended to get Pan's spell checker to
STFU.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 8/31/2016 10:34 PM, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you should claim a FiT for them then... that seems to make solar
panels charge nicely ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:
So, it *is* ok after all, for me to add "onboard" to Pan's dictionary
instead of hyphenating "on board"? :-)

Depends. Are you doing a GCSE anytime soon? Or should that be any time?

Well, I have no plan to do so right now (but who knows?), so it's
purely a matter of personal preference intended to get Pan's spell
checker to STFU.

It's quite interesting to use a spool chequer from a few years ago and
notice how many new words - or combining of two - have come into use. Much
of it from the US, of course.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 2:43:57 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/09/16 12:37, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

have a solar charger, I will try it if the sale of the car falls through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/16 05:50, misterroy wrote:
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 2:43:57 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/09/16 12:37, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

I meant sell it because it is a chrysler, not because it has a design fault.

WEll I suppose being a Chrysler means it IS a design fault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 31/08/16 21:16, misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no
ignition light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent
times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I
have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog
standard charger cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery likely
to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the
charge? ta

Do you have a car alarm or something that is draining the battery?

or a radio?

Most modern cars still draw current even when switched off.

Dunno what you mean by modern. Some car radios needed a standby battery
feed 40 years ago. And obviously anything with an alarm.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/09/16 05:50, misterroy wrote:
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 2:43:57 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/09/16 12:37, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't disagree with that statement. But IME the overall
benefits outweigh the problems. I had 20 years out of the Intrepid with
no major repairs and the Voyager is the most comfortable and stable
towing car I have ever used.

charge second battery Karl Townsend Metalworking 27 December 17th 10 08:24 PM
dry charge battery Alang UK diy 13 February 18th 09 11:07 PM
Can't charge my laptop battery Greg L. Electronics Repair 3 September 5th 06 09:39 PM
How to charge a Li-ION Laptop battery Nina Electronics Repair 6 April 7th 04 09:23 PM
How do I charge a battery.....? morgan UK diy 12 December 7th 03 11:09 AM