Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:59:17 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

*Tsk*. Lose not loose and its, not it's. On board should either be one
word or hyphenated. The rest of it's ******** too. ;-)

So, it *is* ok after all, for me to add "onboard" to Pan's dictionary
instead of hyphenating "on board"? :-)

I guess Harry's ghostly presence[1] isn't totally useless after all.
Who'd have known? :-)

[1] That ghastly presence of a killfiled[2] troll which manifests itself
as quotage[3] within other posters'[4] follow ups.

[2] Yet another compound word that I've added to Pan's dictionary too!

[3] A more questionable addition to Pan's dictionary but Urban dictionary
and wordnik suggest this is likely to make it into the OED within a
decade or so. I'm just anticipating (and doing my 'bit' to assist) this
"official endorsement". :-)

[4] That is of course, posters who either aren't aware of the killfile
filter, see Harry as a source of amusement rather than as a festering pit
of toxic misinformation (the opposite of a "Font of Knowledge") or else
simply CBA to utilise the killfile filter to "Send him to Coventry" in
the first place.

--
Johnny B Good

I had difficulty unravelling your numbered footnotes. You should observe a
rule not to have a numbered footnote within a numbered footnote. Or better
still don't use numbered footnotes.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
I had difficulty unravelling your numbered footnotes.

But is that footnote or foot note? ;-)

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 01/09/16 03:28, bm wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:47:28 +0100, bert wrote:

Car batts ever have responded well to being discharged. The op may well
find that something like an alarm or immobiliser is slowly discharging
the battery.

yep, all manner of stuff is quietly running when the car is "off".
Mine apparently is aware of this problem and if the battery voltage
gets too low (FSVO "too low") it goes into a really deep sleep and
has to be opened manually, via the one door that actually has a
(hidden) key hole.

If you are leaving it unused for some time best disconnect one lead.

Or do as I did when I left my car unused for the last month. A small
solar panel(*) on top of the dash board facing SE, connected to the
battery. Car opened and started without a hint of a flat battery. Not
conclusive, one would need to leave it for a month without the solar
panel and see if it went into deep sleep, that's not going to happen.

(*) Halfords/Maplin £15 15" x 5" ish, 12 V, 1.5 W, 86 mA at max
power.

Yep, this is progress.

Finally, a use for a solar panel.

I tried one on my caravan - pretty useless except when in direct
sunlight.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/16 09:12, Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

Well to be fair SOME onboard computers may lose SOME of their
*configurations*

Examples a car radio anti-theft kicking in and needing the code to
be re-entered.

*some* immobilisers kicking in, and the car won't start

*some* other systems losing their marbles. ISTR that sometimes window
warning lights come on until various resets establish where 'window
closed' is..

All of which are detailed in the handbook under the heading "Changing
the battery"
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Dave W wrote:
I had difficulty unravelling your numbered footnotes.

But is that footnote or foot note? ;-)

Thicko strikes again.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/16 12:37, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no
ignition
light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I
have
tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I have used a
fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog standard charger
cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery likely to be knackered?
Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the charge?

You'd need to contact the maker and see how long they reckon it can be
left without use. Remember reading of one where the makers said it
couldn't be left for three weeks while going on holiday...

Chrysler Voyager.

Sell it.

For yours to have gone fully flat something is discharging it .... put
an ammeter on the lead to check for current draw .. if none you may have
a faulty cell dragging the battery down.

If it is not sealed check each cell with hydrometer - or get it fully
charged and do a drop test on it.

Buy a multi-stage charger and leave it connected to the battery.
I have a winch in my boat shed top winch in boat and trailer ..... I
leave battery permanently hooked up to a CTEK MKS 5 smartcharger

When you first hook it up it does a full recondition charge.

Got mine for a good price on eBay

I also have batteries on boat which are intermittent use so have an
reverse pulse anti-sulphitation unit on these (extralifepulse.com) it
stops sulphate build up which happens when batteries are left idle.

Never had to change a battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 01/09/16 09:12, Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

Well to be fair SOME onboard computers may lose SOME of their
*configurations*

Examples a car radio anti-theft kicking in and needing the code to be
re-entered.

*some* immobilisers kicking in, and the car won't start

*some* other systems losing their marbles. ISTR that sometimes window
warning lights come on until various resets establish where 'window
closed' is..

Like the Renault I was working on the other week, procedure for
resetting the *fuse box* involved opening the window and turning on the
sidelights (with the door shut ) while re-connecting the battery.
Not jumping through the required hoops left the wipers permanently on
and no headlights... Genius
Can itself ran fine though

charge second battery Karl Townsend Metalworking 27 December 17th 10 08:24 PM
dry charge battery Alang UK diy 13 February 18th 09 11:07 PM
Can't charge my laptop battery Greg L. Electronics Repair 3 September 5th 06 09:39 PM
How to charge a Li-ION Laptop battery Nina Electronics Repair 6 April 7th 04 09:23 PM
How do I charge a battery.....? morgan UK diy 12 December 7th 03 11:09 AM