Posted to uk.d-i-y
rick rick is offline

Default car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

On 01/09/16 12:37, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no
ignition
light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I
have
tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I have used a
fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog standard charger
cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery likely to be knackered?
Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the charge?

You'd need to contact the maker and see how long they reckon it can be
left without use. Remember reading of one where the makers said it
couldn't be left for three weeks while going on holiday...

Chrysler Voyager.

Sell it.

For yours to have gone fully flat something is discharging it .... put
an ammeter on the lead to check for current draw .. if none you may have
a faulty cell dragging the battery down.

If it is not sealed check each cell with hydrometer - or get it fully
charged and do a drop test on it.

Buy a multi-stage charger and leave it connected to the battery.
I have a winch in my boat shed top winch in boat and trailer ..... I
leave battery permanently hooked up to a CTEK MKS 5 smartcharger

When you first hook it up it does a full recondition charge.

Got mine for a good price on eBay

I also have batteries on boat which are intermittent use so have an
reverse pulse anti-sulphitation unit on these (extralifepulse.com) it
stops sulphate build up which happens when batteries are left idle.

Never had to change a battery.