Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 31/08/2016 21:16, misterroy wrote:
Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last
easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month
later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no
ignition light. I cant remember how I charged it. The two subsequent
times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I
have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog
standard charger cant put charge into it at all. Is the battery
likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to
loose the charge? ta

Modern car batts don't respond well if deep discharged - so there is a
fair chance it well on the way to knackered.

Car batts ever have responded well to being discharged. The op may well
find that something like an alarm or immobiliser is slowly discharging
the battery. If you are leaving it unused for some time best disconnect
one lead.
--
bert