Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Scott wrote:

harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

OBC usually refers to a user 'computer' on the car that does things like
MPG and journey times, etc. The ones which control the engine etc more
commonly called an ECU. (electronic control unit)

It's quite possible a flat battery can cause some things to be lost. Maybe
the radio station memory. But a very poor design if it is anything
important.

Many ECUs do 'learn' how the car is driven to some extent. But should
default back to the factory settings if the battery is disconnected for
some time. And quickly learn again. The ECU controlling an auto gearbox
being the obvious one. But in any case updates quickly if you alter your
driving style.

Agreed, I've left all our cars disconnected for up to a year and
the OBC relearns in about 20 minutes. Various ages of car. The only car
which lost it's marbles was a friends GM Oldsmobile, where it was
designed in as an anti theft measure and the reconfigure routine was a
total pain in the butt.