Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:31:14 +0100, GB wrote:

On 01/09/2016 10:59, Tim+ wrote:
Scott M wrote:
harry wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars.
The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?

*Tsk*. Lose not loose and its, not it's. On board should either be one
word or hyphenated. The rest of it's ******** too. ;-)

Tim

Surely, it would be more correct to say "Onboard should either be one
word or hyphenated", "On-board should either be one word or hyphenated",
or "'On board' should either be one word or hyphenated"?

Not that either of us is in any way being pedantic.

)))

I've decided that "onboard" (and "killfile" and "killfiled") *do* belong
in Pan's spelling dictionary. They all seem to be more legitimate
additions than the compound words "binge-watch" and "binge-view" that
have made it into the OED fairly recently.

PS: Not forgetting that rule of Usenet concerning correcting grammar.

That P.S. looks to me rather like a 'hedge' against Murphy (a minor
'hands on' deity) whose self appointed task seems to be the strict
application of "Sod's Law" at every possible opportunity. :-)

Strictly (and pedantically) speaking, your P.S. has provided Murphy that
opportunity since "concerning correcting grammar" ought to have been more
clearly expressed as "concerning attempts to correct grammatical
errors" :-)

However, some may well argue 'common usage' and that no loss of the
intended meaning has ensued as a result, thus making it an acceptable
"colloquialism". Murphy otoh, will always assign "The benefit of the
doubt" in favour of the pedant's interpretation[1] and rule himself "The
Winner" (he *is* a deity after all, even if only a minor one). :-)

[1] My, my! I *am* taking chances with all these long words. Tempting
fate with regard to Sod's Law. BTW, I'm blaming Pan's spell checker for
any misspellings there may be in this Murphy baiting exercise. :-)

--
Johnny B Good