Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Got out just in time.

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 10:46:40 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 31 August 2016 14:45:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
WTF are you talking about ? If we have a trade deal with the USA will
the cost of say an iphone go up or down ?

Apple sets the price they sell things at - not governments.

Who sets the price of VW cars ?

The dealer you buy it from.

Who sets the price of scotch whisky ?

The shop you buy it from.

Drivel.
1st principle of capitalism.
Any object is worth what people are prepared to pay for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 31 August 2016 14:45:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
WTF are you talking about ? If we have a trade deal with the USA
will the cost of say an iphone go up or down ?

Apple sets the price they sell things at - not governments.

Who sets the price of VW cars ?

The dealer you buy it from.

Who sets the price of scotch whisky ?

The shop you buy it from.

Drivel. 1st principle of capitalism. Any object is worth what people are
prepared to pay for it.

Have you ever seen a sign in a shop to that effect? No - goods for sale
have a price posted.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/16 19:14, charles wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 31 August 2016 14:45:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
WTF are you talking about ? If we have a trade deal with the USA
will the cost of say an iphone go up or down ?

Apple sets the price they sell things at - not governments.

Who sets the price of VW cars ?

The dealer you buy it from.

Who sets the price of scotch whisky ?

The shop you buy it from.

Drivel. 1st principle of capitalism. Any object is worth what people are
prepared to pay for it.

Have you ever seen a sign in a shop to that effect? No - goods for sale
have a price posted.

which, if no one is prepared to pay it, eventually gets reduced to one
they are..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Apple does not have a trade agreement with Eire the EU or the UK.

Wrong with Eire.

Right with Eire.

Apple does in fact have a deal with Eire to get them
to setup there instead of somewhere else in the EU.

Nothing in the case of an iphone because in theory those arent
coming from the US, same with all other Apple products.

So nothing comes from the USA

Wrong with the software.

you're the one that says nothing comes from the USA not me.

That nothing of mine was about the PRICE of the iphone,
not what bits of the iphone come from the US.

as long as we know.

SO we don't need a trade deal with the USA then do we.

There might just be more involved in the trade with the US than just
Apple.

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

Never said there was anything that Britain can't buy from the
US because there is no bilateral trade deal with the US. In fact I
have always said the exact opposite, that trade is always possible
without any bilateral trade deal at all and even a terminal ****wit
such as yourself should have noticed that the by far the most
comprehensive trade deal the world has ever seen, the WTO
had both Britain and the US massively involved in setting it up.

currencies have always fluctuated that's what the EU was
really all about leveling the field across the whole of europe

Wrong, as always.

right as always that's why europe went the way of the Euro to eliminate
exchange rates and currancy fluctuations between EU counties.

That isnt what the EU was really all about. The euro came later.

but it failed with the Euro.

Not yet it hasnt.

It';s been failing

Even sillier than you usually manage.

but what option do they have left join the
pound and admit defeat or call them dollars.

The other obvious option is to **** over the worst of
the EU like Greece and make them get their act into
gear. And that is precisely what they have done.

What differnce would a trade deal with teh USA
make to someone in teh EU buying an idevice can
you at least answer a simple question like that.

The trade in those would be unaffected because legally
they are being supplied from Eire, not from the USA.

but how to they get to Eire

In a legal sense they come from China to Eire. In practice
they come directly from China to where they are sold.

Does teh EU have a trade deal with china then ?

Doesnt need one. And both are involved in the WTO anyway.

Do we buy apple computers in yen,

Nope, Japan is irrelevant.

dollars or euros .

Dollars, because that's what Apple wants.

they donlt have a trade deal with the USA

Dont need to because legally they are coming
from Eire with what ends up in europe.

So we donl;t need a trade deal with the whole of the EU just Eire.

Dont NEED a trade deal with Eire either.

so somehow products designed in the USA manufacutred
in china get sent to Eire for shipping to the UK.

Nope, they get shipped directly from China to Britain
with the stuff that is sold to the end user in Britain.

But we don't need a trade deal to do that.

Duh. But have by far the most comprehensive trade
deal the world has ever seen, the WTO, anyway.

Tell me how they get from teh USA to EIre when
there's no trade deal bewteen the countires.

Dont need a trade deal to be able to trade.

And nothing comes from the USA to
Eire trade wise anyway with iphones.

yeah sure.
Where do you think the parts come from.

Mostly from China, some from Korea. None
of the parts come from the US with iphones.

Most of teh iphones are assembled in Taiwan NOT china.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

The individual parts are sourced from all over the world.

**** all of them come from other than China and Korea.

What constraints.... there were none.

Wrong. There were in fact plenty of constraints on trade back then.

Not as many as there are now.

Wrong, as always.

What laws were there on trade 2000+ years ago.

What the romans had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

None, zero, nada, not one.

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is WHY there is this added duty or cost.

Because that was the fashion/fad at the time, largely the
result of mindless protectionism that was seen during the great
depression that we can still see the vestiges remaining today.

It's best NOT to have a trade deal.

If you dont, you get go pay the duty the EU chooses
to apply to what comes from outside the EU.

So we donl;t need a trade deal with the whole of the EU just Eire.

Ireland can't make trade deals on its own if it's part of the EU.

So how does it trade with the USA on it's own,

Doesnt need any trade deal to do that, as you have been told
repeatedly and have always been too blotto to comprehend.

or with teh EU.

Eire can do what it likes trade wise with the EU because its part of the EU.
Joining the EU was in fact agreeing to be part of that trade deal, amongst
other things like the free movement of people within the EU.

yeah sure. Where do you think the parts come from.
Most of teh iphones are assembled in Taiwan NOT china.
The individual parts are sourced from all over the world.

No. Mainland China - which has become the world's factory.

all over the world,

Not with the iphone, most comes from china
apart from the cpus which come from Korea and
some stuff like the screen and camera from Japan.

you really don't know much about this do you.

You have never had a clue.

Is Taiwan part of mainland china .

None of the iphone comes from Taiwan.

What about switzerland ?

None of the iphone comes from switzerland.

As you know nothing you'll now ask why

http://www.techinsider.io/where-ipho...me-from-2016-4

The camera is made in japan.
a lot of the rare materials come from the congo area of africa via
foxxcon.

There are in fact **** all rare materials in an iphone.

Actually, I decided earlier today that you must be a troll.

Just a blotto pig ignorant clown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is WHY there is this added duty or
cost.

I told you befo to protect the industries in the importing country.

That is a tarrif NOT tax or duty,

A tariff is just another word for a duty and both are a tax.

do you NOT know the differnece.

There is no difference.

It's best NOT to have a trade deal.

If you want to pay more for goods, fine.

Are you saying we're paying more for computers
because we haven't a trade deal with the USA. ?

Yes, there is a duty that applys to computers that
come from the US to Britain.

So we donl;t need a trade deal with the whole of the EU just Eire.

Ireland can't make trade deals on its own if it's part of the EU.

So how does it trade with the USA on it's own, or with teh EU.

Stop asking silly questions

well stop giving silly answers.

Nothing silly about his answers.

yeah sure. Where do you think the parts come from.
Most of teh iphones are assembled in Taiwan NOT china.
The individual parts are sourced from all over the world.

No. Mainland China - which has become the world's factory.

all over the world, you really don't know much about this do you.

I was referring to where the assembly takes place.

It takes place in many places.

Wrong, as always. Just in China.

IsTaiwan part of mainland china .

No - it's an island! You maop shows that
the processor is mad there, though.

What about switzerland ?

What has that got to do with Apple products.

As you know nothing you'll now ask why

http://www.techinsider.io/where-ipho...me-from-2016-4

The camera is made in japan. a lot of the rare materials
come from the congo area of africa via foxxcon.

And all the parts form all over the world go to
mainlanmd China - as shown on your map - as I said.

So don't come from the USA.

He never said it did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 19:18:06 UTC+1, charles wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 31 August 2016 14:45:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
WTF are you talking about ? If we have a trade deal with the USA
will the cost of say an iphone go up or down ?

Apple sets the price they sell things at - not governments.

Who sets the price of VW cars ?

The dealer you buy it from.

Who sets the price of scotch whisky ?

The shop you buy it from.

Drivel. 1st principle of capitalism. Any object is worth what people are
prepared to pay for it.

Have you ever seen a sign in a shop to that effect? No - goods for sale
have a price posted.

You're not at all clever are you?

The price in a shop is the highest people will buy at.
It's called a "market".
A market is a place were the monetry worth of an object is established.

When lefty****s try to control this, they end upin trouble.
Think Venezuela.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 20:59:54 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Apple does not have a trade agreement with Eire the EU or the UK.

Wrong with Eire.

Right with Eire.

Apple does in fact have a deal with Eire to get them
to setup there instead of somewhere else in the EU.

So does Apple have to agree to free movement of labour too ?

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

Never said there was anything that Britain can't buy from the
US because there is no bilateral trade deal with the US. In fact I
have always said the exact opposite, that trade is always possible
without any bilateral trade deal at all and even a terminal ****wit
such as yourself should have noticed that the by far the most
comprehensive trade deal the world has ever seen, the WTO
had both Britain and the US massively involved in setting it up.

And in those deal the movement of labour or a workforced or immigration is NOT linked with trade. So why is trade and immigration have to be linked in the EU it doesn;t is the answer no nore so than me having to become muslim to not drink or buy a kebab.
For whatever reason the EU has decided that trade and immigration must be linked for whatever reason, adn I don't belive they need to be linked.
It really is that simple.

currencies have always fluctuated that's what the EU was
really all about leveling the field across the whole of europe

Wrong, as always.

right as always that's why europe went the way of the Euro to eliminate
exchange rates and currancy fluctuations between EU counties.

That isnt what the EU was really all about. The euro came later.

Yes as a further control thre major playres in the EU wanted, they wanated to control the flow of everything around the EU, money, trade, labour.

but what option do they have left join the
pound and admit defeat or call them dollars.

The other obvious option is to **** over the worst of
the EU like Greece and make them get their act into
gear. And that is precisely what they have done.

and as yet have still failed.

In a legal sense they come from China to Eire. In practice
they come directly from China to where they are sold.

Does teh EU have a trade deal with china then ?

Doesnt need one. And both are involved in the WTO anyway.

So why does the UK need one when we too are involved in the WTO.

Do we buy apple computers in yen,

Nope, Japan is irrelevant.

dollars or euros .

Dollars, because that's what Apple wants.

Because that's where the owners of the product are located NOT in china.
Apple of the USA makes the large profits NOT china who are working for the US company.

they donlt have a trade deal with the USA

Dont need to because legally they are coming
from Eire with what ends up in europe.

So we donl;t need a trade deal with the whole of the EU just Eire.

Dont NEED a trade deal with Eire either.

We don't NEED a trade deal with anyone, well not the sort the EU insists on..

But we don't need a trade deal to do that.

Duh. But have by far the most comprehensive trade
deal the world has ever seen, the WTO, anyway.

So use that rather than the 2nd rate one the EU takes.

yeah sure.
Where do you think the parts come from.

Mostly from China, some from Korea. None
of the parts come from the US with iphones.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ap...onese-3633832/

The biggest difference Apple has from other manufacturers is that it sources its materials and components from other manufacturers that operate throughout the globe. For example, its displays are mainly made in Japan by Japan Display and Sharp, and some are still made in South Korea by LG Display; whilst the Touch ID sensor found in its recent iPad and iPhone models are made in Taiwan by TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company) and Xintec. In fact, its list of suppliers for 2014-2015 stretches to more than 200 various suppliers located throughout the world.

http://comparecamp.com/how-where-iph...uring-process/

even simple enough for you hopefully a picture showing where in the world parts are from, some parts come from the UK.

What laws were there on trade 2000+ years ago.

What the romans had.

We were trading before the romans arrived.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 21:30:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

None, zero, nada, not one.

So just products from the EU then.

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is WHY there is this added duty or cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 22:10:48 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is WHY there is this added duty or
cost.

I told you befo to protect the industries in the importing country.

That is a tarrif NOT tax or duty,

A tariff is just another word for a duty and both are a tax.

Like VAT you mean that we pay while in teh EU but those not in the EU get the VAT back. So yes a tax leveled on those in the EU.

do you NOT know the differnece.

There is no difference.

I thought the idea was to have tarrif free trade in teh EU if you agreed to the free movement of people but it seems a tax is still piad but as long as we don;t call it a tarrif then that's ok.

It's best NOT to have a trade deal.

If you want to pay more for goods, fine.

Are you saying we're paying more for computers
because we haven't a trade deal with the USA. ?

Yes, there is a duty that applys to computers that
come from the US to Britain.

No there isn't check the prices .

iphone SE in the states from $399.
iphone SE in the UK from £359 (includes £59.83) VAT
exchange rate of $399 would make the iphone £300.

So if I wasnl;t a resident in the UK and could get the VAT/tarriff back.
which is pretty much the same price as the USA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Apple does not have a trade agreement with Eire the EU or the UK.

Wrong with Eire.

Right with Eire.

Apple does in fact have a deal with Eire to get them
to setup there instead of somewhere else in the EU.

So does Apple have to agree to free movement of labour too ?

If you can't do any better than this pathetic
****, your **** will be flushed where it belongs.

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

Never said there was anything that Britain can't buy from the
US because there is no bilateral trade deal with the US. In fact I
have always said the exact opposite, that trade is always possible
without any bilateral trade deal at all and even a terminal ****wit
such as yourself should have noticed that the by far the most
comprehensive trade deal the world has ever seen, the WTO,
had both Britain and the US massively involved in setting it up.

And in those deal the movement of labour or a
workforced or immigration is NOT linked with trade.

Duh. Its only the EU that has that terminal stupidity.

So why is trade and immigration have to be linked in the EU

Because that is how the EU has chosen to operate with the EU.

it doesn;t is the answer no nore so than me having
to become muslim to not drink or buy a kebab.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

For whatever reason the EU has decided that trade
and immigration must be linked for whatever reason,

Not with all but 3 of these it hasnt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

And that was never part of the TTIP either.

adn I don't belive they need to be linked.

Corse they dont. The EU has however chosen
to do that with EU member countrys.

It really is that simple.

Wrong, as always.

currencies have always fluctuated that's what the EU was
really all about leveling the field across the whole of europe

Wrong, as always.

right as always that's why europe went the way of the Euro to eliminate
exchange rates and currancy fluctuations between EU counties.

That isnt what the EU was really all about. The euro came later.

Yes as a further control thre major playres in the EU wanted, they wanated
to control the flow of everything around the EU, money, trade, labour.

In fact the free movement of people is about the exact
opposite to them having any say whatever on the
movement of people. Same with trade within the EU too.

And the eurozone was never about them controlling
the flow of money within the EU either.

but what option do they have left join the
pound and admit defeat or call them dollars.

The other obvious option is to **** over the worst of
the EU like Greece and make them get their act into
gear. And that is precisely what they have done.

and as yet have still failed.

We'll see...

In a legal sense they come from China to Eire. In practice
they come directly from China to where they are sold.

Does teh EU have a trade deal with china then ?

Doesnt need one. And both are involved in the WTO anyway.

So why does the UK need one when we too are involved in the WTO.

It doesnt. I have always said that Britain is free to trade under the WTO
rules.

It may however choose to attempt to do better than that on tariffs etc too.

Do we buy apple computers in yen,

Nope, Japan is irrelevant.

dollars or euros .

Dollars, because that's what Apple wants.

In fact most of the trade in Apple products in the EU is in euros.

Because that's where the owners of
the product are located NOT in china.

Irrelevant to the fact that the absolute vast bulk
of apple products are in fact assembled in China.

Apple of the USA makes the large profits NOT
china who are working for the US company.

Duh.

they donlt have a trade deal with the USA

Dont need to because legally they are coming
from Eire with what ends up in europe.

So we donl;t need a trade deal with the whole of the EU just Eire.

Dont NEED a trade deal with Eire either.

We don't NEED a trade deal with anyone,

Duh.

well not the sort the EU insists on.

It didnt with all but 3 of these.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

But we don't need a trade deal to do that.

Duh. But have by far the most comprehensive trade
deal the world has ever seen, the WTO, anyway.

So use that rather than the 2nd rate one the EU takes.

Not as good as no tariffs on anything.

yeah sure.
Where do you think the parts come from.

Mostly from China, some from Korea. None
of the parts come from the US with iphones.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ap...onese-3633832/

The biggest difference Apple has from other manufacturers is that it
sources its materials
and components from other manufacturers that operate throughout the globe.

In fact **** all comes from anywhere except China, Korea, Japan and a bit
from Taiwan.

For example, its displays are mainly made in Japan by Japan Display and
Sharp,
and some are still made in South Korea by LG Display; whilst the Touch ID
sensor
found in its recent iPad and iPhone models are made in Taiwan by TSMC
(Taiwan
Semiconductor Manufacturing Company) and Xintec. In fact, its list of
suppliers for
2014-2015 stretches to more than 200 various suppliers located throughout
the world.

In fact **** all that matters comes from anywhere except China, Korea, Japan
and a bit from Taiwan.

**** all of the parts that matter do.

What laws were there on trade 2000+ years ago.

What the romans had.

We were trading before the romans arrived.

Duh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

None, zero, nada, not one.

So just products from the EU then.

Wrong, as always. Britain is free to buy those too without any trade deal.

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is
WHY there is this added duty or cost.

Because that was the fashion/fad at the time,

and still is.

Nope, trade barriers like that have been dismantled
world wide for more than half a century now.

The EU was one of the last to introduce new ones.

largely the result of mindless protectionism
that was seen during the great depression that
we can still see the vestiges remaining today.

Yes protectionism is what teh EU is about

Yes, but even the EU is relaxing its tariff barriers now
and has free trade agreements will all of these now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

which is why bthey threaten with tarriffs.

They dont do that much anymore.

I was a bit yuong in 1973 when we joined teh EU

I wasnt.

but I donl;t remmebr things getting cheaper as tarriffs
were removed, I remmebr things getting more expensive,

Yes, stuff that came from commonwealth countrys certainly did.

sure perhaps wine came down in price who knows.

No it didnt, that got more expensive too because the
cheapest wine came from commonwealth countrys.

It's best NOT to have a trade deal.

If you dont, you get go pay the duty the EU chooses
to apply to what comes from outside the EU.

How can the EU decide what duty products
from outside the EU should set.

Same way any country does, it plucks a number out of the air and
proclaims that that is what will be paid with import from outside the EU.

Do yyo realy think the EU should have the power to decide
what anyone pays for a computer or mobile phone.

That's what tariffs and dutys are about.

It can also decide that there will be none on trade within the EU
too, so none is charged on cars made within the EU etc etc etc.

Same with excise and the VAT and sales taxes too.

So we donl;t need a trade deal with the whole of the EU just Eire.

Ireland can't make trade deals on its own if it's part of the EU.

So how does it trade with the USA on it's own,

Doesnt need any trade deal to do that, as you have been told
repeatedly and have always been too blotto to comprehend.

Ye sI don;t understand why Eire doesntl; need a trade deal with anyone.

Because you are always completely blotto.

or with teh EU.

Eire can do what it likes trade wise with the EU because its part of the
EU.

Joining the EU was in fact agreeing to be part of that trade deal,
amongst
other things like the free movement of people within the EU.

So how many 'immigrants' does Eire need to take in order to coomply with
the free movement of people ?

It isnt about numbers, its about not preventing any EUian
who decides they want to move there from doing that.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-asy...10580-Sep2015/

Those arent EU citizens, stupid.

We have recognised fewer asylum claims than many
smaller or similarly-sized countries, since 2012.

Irrelevant to what is allowed with EU CITIZENS.

For example, Irelands favourable asylum decisions were 20 times fewer
than
Norways, despite the two countries having almost identical populations.

Irrelevant to what is allowed with EU CITIZENS.

So how come EIRE doesn;t have to abide by the same EU ideals ?

The free movement of EU CITIZENS has absolutely NOTHING to do
with what happens to asylum seekers who even a terminal ****wit
such as yourself should have noticed arent EU citizens.

http://www.techinsider.io/where-ipho...me-from-2016-4

The camera is made in japan.
a lot of the rare materials come from the congo area of africa via
foxxcon.

There are in fact **** all rare materials in an iphone.

Brain dead moron

Your sig is sposed to be last with a line with just -- on it in front of it.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/digging-...ones-are-born/

Europium is a phosphor that creates a bright red on an iPhone screen,
a Rare earth element symbol Eu which doesn;t mean it comes from the EU.

And there is sweet **** all of that in an iphone.

"Your iPhone doesn't work without rare earths in there, "
said Mark Smith, chief executive of Molycorp.

Still **** all of that in an iphone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is
WHY there is this added duty or cost.

I told you befo to protect the industries in the importing country.

That is a tarrif NOT tax or duty,

A tariff is just another word for a duty and both are a tax.

Like VAT you mean

VAT is indeed another tax which just happens to have word
tax in its name to help terminal ****wits such as yourself.

that we pay while in teh EU but those
not in the EU get the VAT back.

That's exports, tariffs and duty applys to IMPORTS.

So yes a tax leveled on those in the EU.

do you NOT know the differnece.

There is no difference.

I thought the idea was to have tarrif free trade in teh EU if you
agreed to the free movement of people but it seems a tax is
still piad but as long as we don;t call it a tarrif then that's ok.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

It's best NOT to have a trade deal.

If you want to pay more for goods, fine.

Are you saying we're paying more for computers
because we haven't a trade deal with the USA. ?

Yes, there is a duty that applys to computers that
come from the US to Britain.

No there isn't

Yes there is.

check the prices .

Check the legislation.

iphone SE in the states from $399.
iphone SE in the UK from £359 (includes £59.83) VAT
exchange rate of $399 would make the iphone £300.

THE IPHONE DOESNT COME FROM THE US, IT COMES FROM EIRE.

So if I wasnl;t a resident in the UK and could get the VAT/tarriff back.
which is pretty much the same price as the USA.

THE IPHONE DOESNT COME FROM THE US, IT COMES FROM EIRE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 September 2016 12:28:31 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

None, zero, nada, not one.

So just products from the EU then.

Wrong, as always. Britain is free to buy those too without any trade deal..

So what's the point of a trade deal ?

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is
WHY there is this added duty or cost.

Because that was the fashion/fad at the time,

and still is.

Nope, trade barriers like that have been dismantled
world wide for more than half a century now.

While teh EU installs them yes, that's why we should leave and trade with therest of teh world as and when we want to rather than have to ask the EU or rather whoever leads Germany.

The EU was one of the last to introduce new ones.

and you think that is a good thing.

largely the result of mindless protectionism
that was seen during the great depression that
we can still see the vestiges remaining today.

Yes protectionism is what teh EU is about

Yes, but even the EU is relaxing its tariff barriers now
and has free trade agreements will all of these now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

and it will do teh same with teh UK it can't afford not to.

I was a bit yuong in 1973 when we joined teh EU

I wasnt.

but you weren't in the UK were you, you were playing with your marsupial lions.

sure perhaps wine came down in price who knows.

No it didnt, that got more expensive too because the
cheapest wine came from commonwealth countrys.

the cheaest wine ame from spain but the EU instructed spain to get rid of more than 90% of the cheaper wines. Wine is much more expensive in the Spain than it was, but then you;d need to ask spaniosh friend rather than a polition taking back handers.

How can the EU decide what duty products
from outside the EU should set.

Same way any country does, it plucks a number out of the air and
proclaims that that is what will be paid with import from outside the EU.

who is this it, don't forget 27 counties need to agree.

Do yyo realy think the EU should have the power to decide
what anyone pays for a computer or mobile phone.

That's what tariffs and dutys are about.

So certain countires can bully others the EEC was set up to stop that sort of thing rememeber the idea was that no one country would rule over europe.

It can also decide that there will be none on trade within the EU
too, so none is charged on cars made within the EU etc etc etc.

We pay VAT and those outside the EU don't pay VAT.

it's not a sig ****wit, I don't use sigs.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/digging-...ones-are-born/

Europium is a phosphor that creates a bright red on an iPhone screen,
a Rare earth element symbol Eu which doesn;t mean it comes from the EU.

And there is sweet **** all of that in an iphone.

there are plenty of other rare earth eliments in all phones.

"Your iPhone doesn't work without rare earths in there, "
said Mark Smith, chief executive of Molycorp.

Still **** all of that in an iphone.

enought to make them employ a mining company to extract it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
For whatever reason the EU has decided that trade and immigration must
be linked for whatever reason, adn I don't belive they need to be
linked. It really is that simple.

The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

If you'd actually followed any of the discussions about it from the year
dot, it would come as no surprise.

And the UK knew that when it joined.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 September 2016 12:45:06 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is
WHY there is this added duty or cost.

I told you befo to protect the industries in the importing country.

That is a tarrif NOT tax or duty,

A tariff is just another word for a duty and both are a tax.

Like VAT you mean

VAT is indeed another tax which just happens to have word
tax in its name to help terminal ****wits such as yourself.

But removed if you're not living in the EU. So it;s a tax on
where you live and NOT the product but teh country yuo are going to use it in.

that we pay while in teh EU but those
not in the EU get the VAT back.

That's exports, tariffs and duty applys to IMPORTS.

I see the UK doen;t imnport iphones then.

Yes, there is a duty that applys to computers that
come from the US to Britain.

No there isn't

Yes there is.

what is it then.

check the prices .

Check the legislation.

iphone SE in the states from $399.
iphone SE in the UK from £359 (includes £59.83) VAT
exchange rate of $399 would make the iphone £300.

THE IPHONE DOESNT COME FROM THE US, IT COMES FROM EIRE.

no it comes from china.

So if I wasnl;t a resident in the UK and could get the VAT/tarriff back..
which is pretty much the same price as the USA.

THE IPHONE DOESNT COME FROM THE US, IT COMES FROM EIRE.

it comes from china.

and cork isn;t in EIRE ! it;s in ireland ****wit.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/19/...-ahead-sep-25/

Just days after iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus pre-orders began shifting to "Preparing for Shipment" status on the Apple Online Store, several customers in the United States and abroad have received notice that the smartphones are now shipping from China for estimated delivery on September 25.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/01/tech...land-cork-tax/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
A tariff is just another word for a duty and both are a tax.

Like VAT you mean that we pay while in teh EU but those not in the EU
get the VAT back. So yes a tax leveled on those in the EU.

There are sales taxes in your favourite US that only those in the US pay.
They don't apply to exports.

Most countries have some form of local sales tax that isn't applied to
exports. In the UK it was purchase tax before VAT.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

We pay VAT and those outside the EU don't pay VAT.

but, in a great many cases pay a "sales tax" which amounts to the same
thing. After all, before VAT we had Purchase Tax. yes, visitors to the EU
can claim back the VAT they've paid on purchases, but when they declare the
goods at Customs at home, they will almost certainly have to pay import
duty - or an equivalent.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

and cork isn;t in EIRE ! it;s in ireland ****wit.

"Eire" is simply the word "Ireland" in Irish

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 September 2016 13:59:01 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
For whatever reason the EU has decided that trade and immigration must
be linked for whatever reason, adn I don't belive they need to be
linked. It really is that simple.

The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15 countries manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems will get worse.
Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar thing of that scale.

If you'd actually followed any of the discussions about it from the year
dot, it would come as no surprise.

In teh year DOT we joined the EEC NOIT the EU.

And the UK knew that when it joined.

It knew that's we wanted to leave when we joined ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 September 2016 14:09:07 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
A tariff is just another word for a duty and both are a tax.

Like VAT you mean that we pay while in teh EU but those not in the EU
get the VAT back. So yes a tax leveled on those in the EU.

There are sales taxes in your favourite US that only those in the US pay.
They don't apply to exports.

So the USA doesn't put a tarrif on computers we buy in Europe does it ?

Most countries have some form of local sales tax that isn't applied to
exports. In the UK it was purchase tax before VAT.

So we'll have a new tax then when we leave the EU a tarrif in tax or a TIT so who will tell Apple to add this TIT to the price of their products ?

and do you think they will do it.

Same with VW or BMW or Ford, who in the EU will instruct those componies to put a TIT on it and do you really think they will.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15 countries
manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems will get worse.
Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar thing of that scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different. Or
even just the UK.
And many of the leavers on here would be happy to see Scotland and Ireland
leave the UK - showing their village mentality. Even if you accept all of
England is truly one nation - which plenty would disagree with.

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15 countries
manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems will get
worse. Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar thing of
that scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different. Or
even just the UK.
And many of the leavers on here would be happy to see Scotland and Ireland
leave the UK - showing their village mentality. Even if you accept all of
England is truly one nation - which plenty would disagree with.

Yes, there are Cornish Nationalists, similar in Yorkshire, I understand,
and someone once stood for Parliament as a "Vectis Nationalist".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 September 2016 15:26:49 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15 countries
manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems will get worse.
Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar thing of that scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different. Or
even just the UK.

I know the scottish and welsh are strange but we do speak the same language most of the time unlikle the countries joined by the EU.
We also have the same currency for quite a while now.

And many of the leavers on here would be happy to see Scotland and Ireland
leave the UK - showing their village mentality.

Well that isn't me, but some on here think my nickname on a newsgroup that I got nearly 20 years ago is accurate well it;s as accurate as robin hood's little john.
And you use the name plowman because you don;t know how to spell plough.

If I did have a little village mentailty I;d hardly be living in one of the most cultrally diverse places in the world and work in one too.
I wouldn;t work in a uni if I didn't like foreginers.

Even if you accept all of
England is truly one nation - which plenty would disagree with.

What do you mean by one nation, we have differnt flags.
Now why won;t teh EU trade with the whole world tarrif free make an example of how trade should work ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
WTF are you talking about ? If we have a trade deal with the USA will
the cost of say an iphone go up or down ?

Apple sets the price they sell things at - not governments.

Who sets the price of VW cars ?

The dealer you buy it from.

Who sets the price of scotch whisky ?

The shop you buy it from.

Drivel.
1st principle of capitalism.
Any object is worth what people are prepared to pay for it.

Unless it has an artificially inflated price as a result of
unfair subsidies.

examples: Solar PV panels and residential houses bought with
interest-free loans, and rented out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
It's also Merkel's way. We will take all these migrants and each
country will then have its quota. BY ORDER.

Ah. The Merkel runs the EU like some dictator idea. Since we are still
part of the EU, pray tell just what our quota is? And quote the EU law
supporting it?

Merkel's Law
Or could it be you've just made this up like so much of your stuff?

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
For whatever reason the EU has decided that trade and immigration must
be linked for whatever reason, adn I don't belive they need to be
linked. It really is that simple.

The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

If you'd actually followed any of the discussions about it from the year
dot, it would come as no surprise.

And the UK knew that when it joined.

No we didn't we were lied to just as remainers lied in the referendum
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15 countries
manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems will get worse.
Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar thing of that scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different. Or
even just the UK.
And many of the leavers on here would be happy to see Scotland and Ireland
leave the UK

Ireland isn't part of the UK.
- showing their village mentality. Even if you accept all of
England is truly one nation - which plenty would disagree with.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15
countries manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems
will get worse. Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar
thing of that scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different. Or
even just the UK.

And many of the leavers on here would be happy to see Scotland and
Ireland leave the UK

Ireland isn't part of the UK.

but - the North is and might join with the South to remain in the EU since
there is an open border between the two at present. [part of the Dublin
Peace Accord]

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/16 17:26, charles wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15
countries manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems
will get worse. Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar
thing of that scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different. Or
even just the UK.

And many of the leavers on here would be happy to see Scotland and
Ireland leave the UK

Ireland isn't part of the UK.

but - the North is and might join with the South to remain in the EU since
there is an open border between the two at present. [part of the Dublin
Peace Accord]

TBH after the EUs Apple ruling I can see the south leaving the EU as well..

That opens the door for a much tighter integration between Eire and NI.

In the end all this nationalism ******** is just - ********. UKs
countries and Irish republic have no advantages to being enemies.

I suspect the way forward will be a loss association of NW European
countries that form their own trading blocs.

The EU isn't dead yet, but it sure is starting to smell..

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
WTF are you talking about ? If we have a trade deal with the USA will
the cost of say an iphone go up or down ?

Apple sets the price they sell things at - not governments.

Who sets the price of VW cars ?

The dealer you buy it from.

Who sets the price of scotch whisky ?

The shop you buy it from.

Drivel.
1st principle of capitalism.
Any object is worth what people are prepared to pay for it.

Unless it has an artificially inflated price as a result of
unfair subsidies.

Subsidies are by and large a lefty policy which fails in the end.
Eg we subsidised miners for years.

examples: Solar PV panels and residential houses bought with
interest-free loans, and rented out.

More lefty drivel.
It's done in order to buy votes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15 countries
manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems will get worse.
Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar thing of that scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different. Or
even just the UK.
And many of the leavers on here would be happy to see Scotland and Ireland
leave the UK - showing their village mentality. Even if you accept all of
England is truly one nation - which plenty would disagree with.

If a piddling little country like Scotland can have independence then
the Midlands can!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

None, zero, nada, not one.

So just products from the EU then.

Wrong, as always. Britain is free to buy those too without any trade
deal.

So what's the point of a trade deal ?

Because that sees a better result on tariffs and dutys than with no trade
deal.

That was the reason for the EEC, that trade deal saw no
possibility of tariffs, dutys or quotas on trade between
member countrys. Prior to that there were all of those
on some of the trade between those countrys.

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is
WHY there is this added duty or cost.

Because that was the fashion/fad at the time,

and still is.

Nope, trade barriers like that have been dismantled
world wide for more than half a century now.

While teh EU installs them

It in fact eliminated them between member countrys.

yes, that's why we should leave and trade with
therest of teh world as and when we want to

Britain has always been free to do that while still in the EU.

rather than have to ask the EU

The EU is never asked about who Britain can trade with.
The most that ever happens is that a small duty/tariff
applys to some of the imports from outside the EU.

or rather whoever leads Germany.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage. Merkel
is never asked about what trade Britain does with anyone.

The EU was one of the last to introduce new ones.

and you think that is a good thing.

Never ever said anything remotely like that.

It was however a good thing for the most primitive
agricultural producers who couldnt hope to compete
with the much more efficient agricultural producer like
NZ in the case of lamb and butter etc and other operations
like the US, Canada, Australia etc in the case of wheat and
other grain crops and with plenty of other countrys with
wine etc etc etc.

largely the result of mindless protectionism
that was seen during the great depression that
we can still see the vestiges remaining today.

Yes protectionism is what teh EU is about

Yes, but even the EU is relaxing its tariff barriers now
and has free trade agreements will all of these now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

and it will do teh same with teh UK

We'll see...

it can't afford not to.

They may decide that they can't afford to if having
a free trade agreement with Britain without any
prior conditions on the free movement of people
etc sees other countrys also leave the EU to get
the same deal and so see all but the dregs of the
EU remain in the EU and so make that implode
spectacularly when the only ones left in the EU
are those that have EU money pouring into their
country and no one to produce that money anymore.

I was a bit yuong in 1973 when we joined teh EU

I wasnt.

but you weren't in the UK were you,

Dont need to be, even then we had this funky system
that allowed someone on the other side of the world
to see what happened to the price of lamb and butter
and wine in Britain after it had joined the EEC and had
to pay a very high duty on that stuff imported from
outside the EU.

sure perhaps wine came down in price who knows.

No it didnt, that got more expensive too because the
cheapest wine came from commonwealth countrys.

the cheaest wine ame from spain

Wrong.

but the EU instructed spain to get rid
of more than 90% of the cheaper wines.

There was no EU then. And the EEC did nothing of the sort.

Wine is much more expensive in the Spain than it was,

Not because of the EEC.

but then you;d need to ask spaniosh friend

The one who told you that clearly didnt have
a ****ing clue about what was there in 73.

rather than a polition taking back handers.

Never asked any politician anything, ever.

How can the EU decide what duty products
from outside the EU should set.

Same way any country does, it plucks a number
out of the air and proclaims that that is what
will be paid with imports from outside the EU.

who is this it,

Try that again in english when not completely blotto...

don't forget 27 counties need to agree.

Like hell they do on the duty rate.

Do yyo realy think the EU should have the power to decide
what anyone pays for a computer or mobile phone.

That's what tariffs and dutys are about.

So certain countires can bully others

Nope. All countrys and groups of countrys like the EU
get to decide what tariffs and dutys they have on imports.

the EEC was set up to stop that sort of thing

Between member countrys, sure. But they also decided to impose
those on imports from countrys that were not part of the EEC.

rememeber the idea was that no one country would rule over europe.

That wasnt what the EEC was about.

It can also decide that there will be none on trade within the EU
too, so none is charged on cars made within the EU etc etc etc.

We pay VAT and those outside the EU don't pay VAT.

Irrelevant to what happens with tariffs, dutys and quotas.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/digging-...ones-are-born/

Europium is a phosphor that creates a bright red on an iPhone screen,
a Rare earth element symbol Eu which doesn;t mean it comes from the EU.

And there is sweet **** all of that in an iphone.

there are plenty of other rare earth eliments in all phones.

Wrong, as always.

"Your iPhone doesn't work without rare earths in there, "
said Mark Smith, chief executive of Molycorp.

Still **** all of that in an iphone.

enought to make them employ a mining company to extract it.

Has to come from somewhere, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is
WHY there is this added duty or cost.

I told you befo to protect the industries in the importing
country.

That is a tarrif NOT tax or duty,

A tariff is just another word for a duty and both are a tax.

Like VAT you mean

VAT is indeed another tax which just happens to have word
tax in its name to help terminal ****wits such as yourself.

But removed if you're not living in the EU.

Because those who dont live in the EU pay their equivalent
of the VAT when they import it into their country.

So it;s a tax on where you live

Just like all taxes are. Even someone as stupid as you
should have noticed that there are no universal taxes
that apply to everyone regardless of where they live.

and NOT the product but teh country yuo are going to use it in.

Just like with their equivalent of the VAT.

that we pay while in teh EU but those
not in the EU get the VAT back.

That's exports, tariffs and duty applys to IMPORTS.

I see

Nope, you never did, because you are always completely
blotto and have wanked yourself completely blind with
your pathetic excuse for trolling.

the UK doen;t imnport iphones then.

The EU doesnt, legally they come from Eire, which even
a terminal ****wit such as yourself would have noticed is
part of the EU, if you weren't always completely blotto.

Yes, there is a duty that applys to computers that
come from the US to Britain.

No there isn't

Yes there is.

what is it then.

a duty that applys to computers that come from the US to Britain.

check the prices .

Check the legislation.

iphone SE in the states from $399.
iphone SE in the UK from £359 (includes £59.83) VAT
exchange rate of $399 would make the iphone £300.

THE IPHONE DOESNT COME FROM THE US, IT COMES FROM EIRE.

no it comes from china.

Legally the iphone comes from Eire so no duty is payable.

So if I wasnl;t a resident in the UK and could get the VAT/tarriff
back. which is pretty much the same price as the USA.

THE IPHONE DOESNT COME FROM THE US, IT COMES FROM EIRE.

it comes from china.

Legally the iphone comes from Eire so no duty is payable.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/19/...-ahead-sep-25/

Just days after iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus pre-orders began shifting to
"Preparing
for Shipment" status on the Apple Online Store, several customers in the
United States
and abroad have received notice that the smartphones are now shipping from
China
for estimated delivery on September 25.

Irrelevant to what is the legal position with iphones that show up in
Britain.

No duty is due because legally they are coming from Eire.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/01/tech...land-cork-tax/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

For whatever reason the EU has decided that trade and
immigration must be linked for whatever reason, adn I
don't belive they need to be linked. It really is that simple.

The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes,

It has always been the whole point of the EU.

with perhaps a dozen or 15 countries manangable but
with 27, and plans to extend the problems will get worse.

The problem isnt actually the number of countrys, its much
more due to the vast diversity of the economys of the countrys
involved with very economically viable countrys like Britain and
Germany lumped in with the dregs of eastern europe like Romania
and the attempt to have a common currency that applys to them
all without any central govt that drives the economy of the whole.

And the even more stupid approach of having failed politicians
turned bureaucrats impose policy on the whole without any
possibility of getting rid do them when they **** up completely.

Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar thing of that scale.

They have actually. The US has a lot more than 27 states.

And Canada has even more economic diversity than you see in the EU too.

And the USSR was even more economically diverse again.

But both of the successful ones do have central democratic
govt that makes a common currency viable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

A tariff is just another word for a duty and both are a tax.

Like VAT you mean that we pay while in teh EU but those not in
the EU get the VAT back. So yes a tax leveled on those in the EU.

There are sales taxes in your favourite US that only those in the US pay.
They don't apply to exports.

So the USA doesn't put a tarrif on computers we buy in Europe does it ?

You have been told repeatedly that tariffs and dutys apply to IMPORTS,
not EXPORTS. In one ear and straight out the other, as always with you.

Most countries have some form of local sales tax that isn't
applied to exports. In the UK it was purchase tax before VAT.

So we'll have a new tax then when we leave the EU

No point in having one on apple stuff given that Britain
doesnt produce anything much like that anymore.
That's the whole point of tariffs, to encourage buyers
to buy the locally made stuff.

a tarrif in tax or a TIT

ALL tariffs are on imports.

so who will tell Apple to add this TIT to the price of their products ?

That isnt how tariffs work either. The importer pays the tariff/duty
and can do what it likes with the price of the products.

and do you think they will do it.

No point, Britain doesnt produce anything
that competes with Apple products anymore.

Same with VW or BMW or Ford, who in the EU
will instruct those componies to put a TIT on it

That isnt how tariffs work.

and do you really think they will.

They get no choice if Britain decides to impose a tariff/duty
on cars imported into Britain to encourage car buyers to
buy the cars that are still made in Britain. They get to like
it or lump it and the EU gets to do the same with cars
coming from Britain into the EU if they want to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15 countries
manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems will get worse.
Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar thing of that
scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different.
Or even just the UK.

I know the scottish and welsh are strange but we do speak the same
language most of the time unlikle the countries joined by the EU.

Irrelevant to your original line about SCALE.

And even you should have noticed that Canada
managed fine with very different languages.

We also have the same currency for quite a while now.

How long its been around for isnt the problem.

Now why won;t teh EU trade with the whole world
tarrif free make an example of how trade should work ?

Because the whole point of the EU was to be a
group of european countrys, not the whole world.

And the EU is in fact part of what is by far the most
comprehensive trade agreement the word has ever
seen which includes almost all of the countrys in the
world, the WTO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:
The EU is more than a simple trade agreement.

That's where the problem lies yes, with perhaps a dozen or 15
countries manangable but with 27, and plans to extend the problems
will get worse. Which is why other countries haven't tried a similar
thing of that scale.

Of course they have. The United States of America isn't so different. Or
even just the UK.

And many of the leavers on here would be happy to see Scotland and
Ireland leave the UK

Ireland isn't part of the UK.

but - the North is and might join with the South to remain in the EU

Unlikely IMO. Bet those who didn’t want to be part of Eire wont
change their minds on that to stay in the EU once Britain leaves.