Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Got out just in time.

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
charles wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what other products can;t we buy because we lack a trade deal ?

None, zero, nada, not one.

So just products from the EU then.

Wrong, as always. Britain is free to buy those too without any trade
deal.

So what's the point of a trade deal ?

Because that sees a better result on tariffs and dutys than with no trade
deal.

That was the reason for the EEC, that trade deal saw no
possibility of tariffs, dutys or quotas on trade between
member countrys. Prior to that there were all of those
on some of the trade between those countrys.

You have been told on a number of occasions: trade deals
are NOT about stopping goods being sold, they're about
how much duty/tax the receiving country adds to the cost.

Yes I know, what I want to know is
WHY there is this added duty or cost.

Because that was the fashion/fad at the time,

and still is.

Nope, trade barriers like that have been dismantled
world wide for more than half a century now.

While teh EU installs them

It in fact eliminated them between member countrys.

yes, that's why we should leave and trade with
therest of teh world as and when we want to

Britain has always been free to do that while still in the EU.

rather than have to ask the EU

The EU is never asked about who Britain can trade with.
The most that ever happens is that a small duty/tariff
applys to some of the imports from outside the EU.

or rather whoever leads Germany.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage. Merkel
is never asked about what trade Britain does with anyone.

The EU was one of the last to introduce new ones.

and you think that is a good thing.

Never ever said anything remotely like that.

It was however a good thing for the most primitive
agricultural producers who couldnt hope to compete
with the much more efficient agricultural producer like
NZ in the case of lamb and butter etc and other operations
like the US, Canada, Australia etc in the case of wheat and
other grain crops and with plenty of other countrys with
wine etc etc etc.

largely the result of mindless protectionism
that was seen during the great depression that
we can still see the vestiges remaining today.

Yes protectionism is what teh EU is about

Yes, but even the EU is relaxing its tariff barriers now
and has free trade agreements will all of these now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ade_agreements

and it will do teh same with teh UK

We'll see...

it can't afford not to.

They may decide that they can't afford to if having
a free trade agreement with Britain without any
prior conditions on the free movement of people
etc sees other countrys also leave the EU to get
the same deal and so see all but the dregs of the
EU remain in the EU and so make that implode
spectacularly when the only ones left in the EU
are those that have EU money pouring into their
country and no one to produce that money anymore.

I was a bit yuong in 1973 when we joined teh EU

I wasnt.

but you weren't in the UK were you,

Dont need to be, even then we had this funky system
that allowed someone on the other side of the world
to see what happened to the price of lamb and butter
and wine in Britain after it had joined the EEC and had
to pay a very high duty on that stuff imported from
outside the EU.

sure perhaps wine came down in price who knows.

No it didnt, that got more expensive too because the
cheapest wine came from commonwealth countrys.

the cheaest wine ame from spain

Wrong.

but the EU instructed spain to get rid
of more than 90% of the cheaper wines.

There was no EU then. And the EEC did nothing of the sort.

Wine is much more expensive in the Spain than it was,

Not because of the EEC.

but then you;d need to ask spaniosh friend

The one who told you that clearly didnt have
a ****ing clue about what was there in 73.

rather than a polition taking back handers.

Never asked any politician anything, ever.

How can the EU decide what duty products
from outside the EU should set.

Same way any country does, it plucks a number
out of the air and proclaims that that is what
will be paid with imports from outside the EU.

who is this it,

Try that again in english when not completely blotto...

don't forget 27 counties need to agree.

Like hell they do on the duty rate.

Do yyo realy think the EU should have the power to decide
what anyone pays for a computer or mobile phone.

That's what tariffs and dutys are about.

So certain countires can bully others

Nope. All countrys and groups of countrys like the EU
get to decide what tariffs and dutys they have on imports.

the EEC was set up to stop that sort of thing

Between member countrys, sure. But they also decided to impose
those on imports from countrys that were not part of the EEC.

rememeber the idea was that no one country would rule over europe.

That wasnt what the EEC was about.

It can also decide that there will be none on trade within the EU
too, so none is charged on cars made within the EU etc etc etc.

We pay VAT and those outside the EU don't pay VAT.

Irrelevant to what happens with tariffs, dutys and quotas.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/digging-...ones-are-born/

Europium is a phosphor that creates a bright red on an iPhone screen,
a Rare earth element symbol Eu which doesn;t mean it comes from the EU.

And there is sweet **** all of that in an iphone.

there are plenty of other rare earth eliments in all phones.

Wrong, as always.

"Your iPhone doesn't work without rare earths in there, "
said Mark Smith, chief executive of Molycorp.

Still **** all of that in an iphone.

enought to make them employ a mining company to extract it.

Has to come from somewhere, ****wit.