Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default How the disabled are ripped off

Nightjar cpb wrote:

It is simply a matter of shopping around.

I agree, but I suspect many businesses take advantage of the fact their
market is less mobile and less internet savvy than the general
population. Which, although being rather horrid of them, is actually
sound commercial practice I suppose!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Supply and demand.

Yes, true. If there weren't half a million foreigners coming in every
year house prices would be lower.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Why are you buying the parts from a disability shop if you can get them
cheaper elsewhere?

I'm not, except where the difference is negligible.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 20:21:04 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Supply and demand.

Yes, true. If there weren't half a million foreigners coming in every
year house prices would be lower.

Agreed.

--
Top Tip. If someone shoves your feet in a fire, quickly put your head in a bucket of iced water. On average, you will be pretty comfortable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 20:22:18 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Why are you buying the parts from a disability shop if you can get them
cheaper elsewhere?

I'm not, except where the difference is negligible.

Then you're not being ripped off. The shop is just making it convenient for you at a cost to them, then putting that on the price, just like it costs me far more to buy food in a little corner shop than a supermarket 2 miles away.

--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Why are you buying the parts from a disability shop if you can get them
cheaper elsewhere?

I'm not, except where the difference is negligible.

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against the disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over them at any speed.

--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Why are you buying the parts from a disability shop if you can get them
cheaper elsewhere?

I'm not, except where the difference is negligible.

Then you're not being ripped off. The shop is just making it convenient
for you at a cost to them, then putting that on the price, just like it
costs me far more to buy food in a little corner shop than a supermarket
2 miles away.

I'm not talking about me though, am I? I'm well accustomed to the
internet. I have a vehicle to drive about in. I have retained sufficient
of my faculties to function fairly normally in the retail environment
(OK I can go a bit Victor Meldrew sometimes but apart from that...).

I'm talking about the many people we meet on our travels (you see being
on a mobility scooter is like having a dog; you get to talk to everyone,
especially other people on mobility scooters) who will lament the price
they've just had to pay for their battery or whatever. We spend a bit of
time in rural market towns where there might only be one disability shop
within reasonable distance. I've looked in their shop windows. It verges
on the criminal what they charge, sometimes.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I've had my grumble about it so that's that,
water under the bridge.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is
getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against the
disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over them at
any speed.

Yes I know someone who has to take a long route to her mother's because
of that.

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand up
in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn
streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 21:02:23 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is
getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against the
disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over them at
any speed.

Yes I know someone who has to take a long route to her mother's because
of that.

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand up
in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn
streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

What annoys me is the amount of money my council spends redoing streets with potholes, which are a tenth of the size of the speedbumps. Why do they bother?

--
We've come so far that community service is considered punishment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

The shop is smaller and catering for a small number of people - it's a lack of cheapness of large quantities (there's a better phrase for this).

--
Seen in a health food sto
Shoplifters will be beaten over the head with an organic carrot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/09/2015 21:02, Bill Wright wrote:
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is
getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against
the disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over
them at any speed.

Yes I know someone who has to take a long route to her mother's because
of that.

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand up
in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn
streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

Bill

The pain caused by driving over speed bumps has been used to diagnose
appendicitis.

Obviously this is a technique for deciding whether to go to A&E or O&G.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 18:41:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/09/2015 15:18, Fredxxx wrote:
On 26/09/2015 14:42, Bill Wright wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:

I would imagine that most people with mobility scooters would be
unable to fit batteries themselves, so perhaps not unreasonable to
specify they must be fitted by the same supplier?

Most people have sons-in-law.

Who are more likely to abuse the Zero VAT rate on batteries.

This is a case where it's difficult to draw the line for an item which
can be used for a range of applications.

Given that most mobility users get various disability benefits, one
starts the question why there needs to be a separate benefit in
supplying zero VAT to a disabled person, but hey!

You don't need to be disabled to get zero VAT you can get some things if
you have a chronic illness.

e.g. we have bought special 'cool pouches' for a diabetic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 20:15:16 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

tim..... wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: £149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: £60

Flightsafe device: £30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about £1.

cost of manufacture is not the only cost that they have to recover

If a product only sells in low numbers (and a "flight safe" device
aimed at a disability product sounds like a very low potential market)
the costs of development can be a significant part of the individual
sale price

Development? A 0.5" length of wire soldered to two pins?

And it would have to have been developed as part of the original scooter.
Presumably this is a replacement for a lost one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 19:52:41 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Nightjar cpb.me.uk" "insert my surname here wrote in message
On 26/09/2015 19:14, tim..... wrote:
..
3 out of 4 of the items that I have purchased on Amazon type sites
have broken in less than the warranty period, but, of course, silly me
forgot to keep the seller's details - but the aggro of sending it back
by post probably means that I wouldn't bother anyway

Now reluctant to buy stuff this way in future, whatever the saving

I've not had any problems with things I've bought from Amazon.

but it's not "from" Amazon", is it

it's "Dispatched from and sold by XXX"

and presumably it is XXX with whom you have to assert your rights

In theory. In practice, Amazon have always sorted it out for me to
protect their 'branding'.

Not that I use them any more as they are generally more expensive than
many other suppliers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is
getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against
the disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over
them at any speed.

Yes I know someone who has to take a long route to her mother's because
of that.

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand up
in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn
streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

Bill

The pain caused by driving over speed bumps has been used to diagnose
appendicitis.

What's more important is what it causes.

Obviously this is a technique for deciding whether to go to A&E or O&G.

Obstetrics and gynaecology?!

--
More than 10,000 people in England and Wales required professional treatment for injuries caused by home telephones in 2002.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/09/2015 19:40, Bill Wright wrote:
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: £149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: £60

With or without VAT?

Flightsafe device: £30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about £1.

115mm rubber tyred jockey wheel, 20mm bo Disability shops: £18.
Various other places: about £10.

Various scooter keys:
Shoprider on/off switch £10. This is standard plastic body toggle
switch: £1 from CPC etc.
Some old types of scooter uses a standard 1/4" jack plug, shorted out
internally, as a key. These are sold for £5 to £12 in disability shops.
Some other keys are on standard blanks and my local cobbler with turn
them out at £5 each, but if you buy from a disability shop they are
likely to be £12 to £15.

It is simply a matter of shopping around. Last week I bought a three
wheel walker, with bag, basket and tray, for £29.99 from Amazon. Around
£90.00 from a disability shop. A few weeks earlier I bought a lightweight
transfer wheelchair for £50 from Amazon, as opposed to £12.50 a week to
hire locally; worthwhile as I knew it would take my partner more than
four weeks to fully recover from her TIA.

I suspect the difference is in the level of turnover and the overheads
involved in having a shop on the high street.

and having to deal with returns and warranties

3 out of 4 of the items that I have purchased on Amazon type sites have
broken in less than the warranty period,

None of mine have with that sort of item.

but, of course, silly me forgot to
keep the seller's details - but the aggro of sending it back by post
probably means that I wouldn't bother anyway

I have had the Culinare Automatic Jar Opener I got off ebay
fail twice now, both times outside the stated warranty. While
I do know who the seller was because I keep the emails, I didn’t
even bother to contact the seller, just emailed Culinare with a
photo of the first failure, had them send out a new one. They
didn’t want the old one back the photo was all they needed.

With the second failure, one of the long arms broke off completely
at the end inside the body. Just said that in the email and had them
send out the replacement. Again, they didn’t want the dead one.

I did at one time buy PC keyboards locally instead of using the net,
because they always did wear off the lettering well within the warranty
period with the very long Microsoft and Logitech warrantys. But when
I couldn’t get the latest mouse or keyboard locally, bought it
electronically
and when the mouse failed, all it took was a phone call to get the
replacement
shipped out and for the carrier to pick up the old one when he delivered
the replacement. With the keyboard, with a keytop that came off and
couldn’t be replaced, they didn’t want the old one back and all it took
was a phone call to get the replacement sent. With an earlier Logitech
mouse which also failed, they couldn’t supply a replacement for the
rather unusual mouse, so gave me a full refund so I had the use of
it for free for years.

Now reluctant to buy stuff this way in future, whatever the saving

More fool you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/09/2015 21:18, Bob Eager wrote:

e.g. we have bought special 'cool pouches' for a diabetic.

Why?
Insulin keeps for about 6 weeks once out of the fridge, depending on brand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 22:07:27 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/09/2015 21:18, Bob Eager wrote:

e.g. we have bought special 'cool pouches' for a diabetic.

Why?
Insulin keeps for about 6 weeks once out of the fridge, depending on
brand.

Under what stated temperature conditions? And with an opened vial? I
wonder if you would be so dismissive if you were the one using the
insulin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/09/2015 22:28, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 22:07:27 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/09/2015 21:18, Bob Eager wrote:

e.g. we have bought special 'cool pouches' for a diabetic.

Why?
Insulin keeps for about 6 weeks once out of the fridge, depending on
brand.

Under what stated temperature conditions? And with an opened vial? I
wonder if you would be so dismissive if you were the one using the
insulin.

One make says:

"The product may be stored for a maximum of 4 weeks not above 25°C and
away from direct heat or direct light."

It can be difficult keeping things below 25 in the summer when
travelling - unless you have something like a coolpack.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/09/2015 22:44, polygonum wrote:
On 26/09/2015 22:28, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 22:07:27 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/09/2015 21:18, Bob Eager wrote:

e.g. we have bought special 'cool pouches' for a diabetic.

Why?
Insulin keeps for about 6 weeks once out of the fridge, depending on
brand.

Under what stated temperature conditions? And with an opened vial? I
wonder if you would be so dismissive if you were the one using the
insulin.

One make says:

"The product may be stored for a maximum of 4 weeks not above 25°C and
away from direct heat or direct light."

It can be difficult keeping things below 25 in the summer when
travelling - unless you have something like a coolpack.

The main thing is don't get the insulin too cold.
If you use an ice pack from a freezer you need to throw the insulin away
and get a new supply.
It crystallises out at low temps and then you don't know how much you
are getting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I've had my grumble about it so that's that,
water under the bridge.

The shop is smaller and catering for a small number of people - it's a
lack of cheapness of large quantities (there's a better phrase for this).

I am rather bored with this now, but I have been involved with small
business retail all my life and I can tell you that 1,000% mark-ups are
never necessary. This is 'charging what you can get away with', also
known as 'charging what the market will stand'. It is the exploiting of
a local monopoly made possible indirectly by the customers' disability
and age.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

tim..... wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: £149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: £60

Flightsafe device: £30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about £1.
cost of manufacture is not the only cost that they have to recover

If a product only sells in low numbers (and a "flight safe" device
aimed at a disability product sounds like a very low potential market)
the costs of development can be a significant part of the individual
sale price

Development? A 0.5" length of wire soldered to two pins?

And it would have to have been developed as part of the original scooter.
Presumably this is a replacement for a lost one.

Yes, these things are often in place when the scooter is delivered to
the customer, if it is delivered in one piece. It's a surprisingly
common item. Disabled people do travel the world you know.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 23:44:49 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

[...]

Exactly. Which is why I was talking about a *cool pack* - not the same
thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

That's because it has high overheads that have to be paid by a small number
of sales.

It's not reasonable to compare these prices with an internet seller who has
next to zero costs of sale who probably doesn't even have any stock in hand.

A bricks and mortar supplier, who has to hold stock, simply cannot compete
on that basis. That's not his fault.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

news

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is
getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against the
disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over them at
any speed.

Yes I know someone who has to take a long route to her mother's because
of that.

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand up
in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn
streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

What annoys me is the amount of money my council spends redoing streets
with potholes, which are a tenth of the size of the speedbumps. Why do
they bother?

cos they can be sued (for the potholes)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"James H" wrote in message
On 26/09/2015 18:45, tim..... wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: £149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: £60

Flightsafe device: £30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about £1.

cost of manufacture is not the only cost that they have to recover

If a product only sells in low numbers (and a "flight safe" device aimed
at a disability product sounds like a very low potential market) the
costs of development can be a significant part of the individual sale
price

tim

I see. People run these shops as a favor to disabled people not to make
money out of an easy target.

I don't see any relevance to that to my post

(and FWIW, I can't even work out if you are being serious or ironic)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

tim..... wrote:
[...]

but they are still a very small percentage of the whole

Only once in about 300 flights have I ever shared the plane with a person
who required assistance in getting to/from their seat (which I suspect is a
reasonable proxy for "travelling with their own wheelchair")

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Nightjar cpb wrote:

It is simply a matter of shopping around.

I agree, but I suspect many businesses take advantage of the fact their
market is less mobile and less internet savvy

Once again

they don't compete with internet sales because they CAN'T, not because they
don't have to

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/09/2015 19:52, tim..... wrote:

"Nightjar cpb.me.uk" "insert my surname here wrote in message
On 26/09/2015 19:14, tim..... wrote:
..
3 out of 4 of the items that I have purchased on Amazon type sites have
broken in less than the warranty period, but, of course, silly me forgot
to keep the seller's details - but the aggro of sending it back by post
probably means that I wouldn't bother anyway

Now reluctant to buy stuff this way in future, whatever the saving

I've not had any problems with things I've bought from Amazon.

but it's not "from" Amazon", is it

it's "Dispatched from and sold by XXX"

and presumably it is XXX with whom you have to assert your rights

Your contract is with Amazon, not with any third party they sub-contract
the supply or dispatch to.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 10:28:53 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

but it's not "from" Amazon", is it

it's "Dispatched from and sold by XXX"

and presumably it is XXX with whom you have to assert your rights

Your contract is with Amazon, not with any third party they sub-contract
the supply or dispatch to.

Nope. Amazon are just an advertising medium and payment processor - you
are buying FROM the vendor.

Not Amazon, but a very similar site :
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/about/partner-terms
Have a look at 4C i and iii

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

[...]

bought a suction grip bar for the bath, at a disability shop, they check
address etc because there is no vat, even without vat it was twice the
price of web.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 27/09/2015 10:36, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 10:28:53 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

but it's not "from" Amazon", is it

it's "Dispatched from and sold by XXX"

and presumably it is XXX with whom you have to assert your rights

Your contract is with Amazon, not with any third party they sub-contract
the supply or dispatch to.

Nope. Amazon are just an advertising medium and payment processor - you
are buying FROM the vendor.

While I do sometimes get direct communications from a supplier, quoting
Amazon Marketplace, in the vast majority of cases it is Amazon that
provides me with all the information required by The Consumer Contracts
(Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013,
which I think will make them the trader for the purposes of those
regulations.

Not Amazon, but a very similar site :
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/about/partner-terms
Have a look at 4C i and iii

Those are the terms and conditions that apply to the sellers, which
makes it a business to business contract. Consumers get a lot more
protection.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 27/09/15 00:13, Bill Wright wrote:
It is the exploiting of a local monopoly made possible indirectly by the
customers' disability and age.

For these shops in general (maybe buggies are a special case) and the
rest of the disability market, the customers are not the aged, but
rather their children, or even grand children. To some extent they are
selling clear consciences. That's why the associated web site
advertising typically doesn't represent a paragon of accessible design.

The more you pay for your indulgences, the more your soul is saved!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 12:16:06 +0200, Martin wrote:

Not Amazon, but a very similar site :
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/about/partner-terms Have a look at
4C i and iii

Those are the terms and conditions that apply to the sellers, which
makes it a business to business contract.

Lemme quote those Ts & Cs...
"any contract to sell and buy Products is made only between the Seller
and Customer concerned and NOTHS is not a party to any such contract"

The key thing is that it is Amazon that debits the purchaser's bank
account. This makes the contract with Amazon.

Some friends of mine have a web business with a monthly membership fee.
They use a payment provider to handle all the payments. Your logic has
the customer's only contract being with the payment provider, not the
actual website. Don't be daft.

Some where on Amazon's website it says that the delivery company is
responsible for lost packages. In this case Amazon is the delivery
company.

Really? Amazon themselves come to your house with the package?

IMO Amazon is responsible for delivery as well in all cases, because
they subcontract delivery

I thought Amazon were the delivery company...? Yes, your contract is with
Amazon, in that instance, and it is Amazon who are responsible for
kicking the courier. But if you'd bought _through_ Amazon, your contract
would be with the supplier, not Amazon, and it would be the supplier who
would be responsible for kicking the courier, not Amazon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 27/09/2015 11:40, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 12:16:06 +0200, Martin wrote:

Not Amazon, but a very similar site :
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/about/partner-terms Have a look at
4C i and iii

Those are the terms and conditions that apply to the sellers, which
makes it a business to business contract.

Lemme quote those Ts & Cs...
"any contract to sell and buy Products is made only between the Seller
and Customer concerned and NOTHS is not a party to any such contract"..

As I said, that is in the terms and conditions between the site and the
sellers. That makes it a business to business contract and you can put
almost anything you like in one of those; businesses are assumed to be
able to understand any contract they enter into. That does not, however,
mean that consumer legislation will recognise the same terms exist
between the site and a consumer ordering through that site.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

The specific example that I selected (based upon it being a good price for
an item that I need)

said: "... delivery will be by XXX"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
I am rather bored with this now, but I have been involved with small
business retail all my life and I can tell you that 1,000% mark-ups are
never necessary. This is 'charging what you can get away with', also
known as 'charging what the market will stand'.

Check the price of one resistor at Maplin. ;-)

--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 September 2015 10:05:55 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 21:02:23 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand up
in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn
streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

What annoys me is the amount of money my council spends redoing streets
with potholes, which are a tenth of the size of the speedbumps. Why do
they bother?

cos they can be sued (for the potholes)

and because potholes trigger deterioration

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Supply and demand.

Yes, true. If there weren't half a million foreigners coming in every
year house prices would be lower.

Agreed.

bet they wouldn't

Yes they would, people who could traditionally buy a house in their 20s
now tend to wait until their 30s or 40s.

When houses are so expensive in terms of multiple of average salary its
quite clear that demand has a profound effect.

You do realise immigrants live in houses as well and not in tents?

Moving a Disabled Car Tim Wescott Metalworking 33 March 3rd 11 03:37 AM
Disabled parking and BB's [email protected] UK diy 1 November 13th 05 06:35 PM
Disabled turners? Tim Woodturning 17 February 21st 05 04:39 PM
Disabled Turner Paul Rasmussen Woodturning 0 November 13th 04 12:11 AM
Web supplier of disabled handrails? OldScrawn UK diy 7 January 26th 04 06:58 PM