Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default How the disabled are ripped off

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:21:26 +0100, charles wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:04:37 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 27/09/2015 17:30, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:11:58 +0100, Indy Jess
wrote:

On 27/09/2015 16:11, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 16:03:05 +0100,
wrote:

Speed bumps? What a stupid name. They cause you to slow down.

Maybe they'e meant to bump you only if you're speeding. Which they
don't, as the faster you go the less you get jolted. I have to
laugh at people going over them at 5mph, and I can see the occupants
of the car being shoved about. If you go about twice the sped
limit, the suspension may get a jolt, but the occupants of the car
do not.

The best speed varies from car to car, and it depends on the distance
between the front and back wheels and the design of the suspension.
Typically the best speed will be found (by trial and error) to be
between 37 and 47mph.

I've always found that it's a multiple or factor of the speed limit,
with higher numbers getting smoother for the occupants. For example a
20mph bump should be taken at 5, 10, 20, or 40. 15 is worse than 20.

There is a standard Road Traffic Act specification for a speed bump.
Mostly the speed limit of the road in which it is installed doesn't get
taken into account for the profile of the bump.

Really? I assumed there'd be specs for each limit.

When I complained to my council (with a video showing how ridiculously my
car jumped about at 20mph) to the council, I was actually told I
shouldn't be going 20mph in a 20 zone. I was told 10mph was a more
appropriate speed. I said "change the speed limit signs to 10 then" and
she said "we're not allowed." The mind boggles.

contrary to popular belief the "speed limit" is not a target figure.

You don't have a clue do you? You can't tell people to go up to 20mph, then damage their cars or spines when they go at that limit.

Anyway, they make the speed limits so ****ing low nowadays, everybody goes at LEAST at the limit. Has everybody's brain slowed down or something, because when I was a lad, a built up area was 30 or 40mph. Not 20. 20 is for retards, Put them in separate villages out of the way.

--
In 1999 the creators of KY Jelly created a new product. It was called "Y2K Jelly." It allowed you to get four digits in your date instead of two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:45:24 +0100, ARW wrote:

"charles" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Tell that to the safety camera teams who have targets to meet.

Indeed, funny how I've never heard of anyone getting done for 20mph in 20 limit.

--
Sexy Sharon's sister saw saucy Sally swiftly suck seventy six soldiers sons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:41:28 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , ARW
wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 21:02:23 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is
getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against
the disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over
them at any speed.

Yes I know someone who has to take a long route to her mother's
because of that.

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand
up in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn
streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

What annoys me is the amount of money my council spends redoing
streets
with potholes, which are a tenth of the size of the speedbumps. Why
do they bother?

Speed bumps? What a stupid name. They cause you to slow down.

same with the phrase "near miss" which ia actually a near hit - but a
complete miss.

Agreed, that always makes me laugh. Explaining the above doesn't seem to
help when I dodge traffic at high speed and frighten the passenger though.

"The knack to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and
miss."

I never managed to master that knack.

I've "flown" a parachute a few times.

--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - Bass is kicking"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is
getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against the
disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over them at
any speed.

Yes I know someone who has to take a long route to her mother's because
of that.

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand up
in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn
streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

What annoys me is the amount of money my council spends redoing streets
with potholes, which are a tenth of the size of the speedbumps. Why do
they bother?

Speed bumps? What a stupid name. They cause you to slow down.

I've never fathomed out why something which mounts to an obstruction
or fault in the road can contribute to road safety. You don't get
safety oil slicks to slow you down so why have 'safety bumps'?

What's worse are the chicanes, or "traffic calming". They do not calm, they annoy. People are swerving round them, squeezing through when there isn't quite room, etc. The worst one is in my town on a blind bend on a hill. And guess who they give priority to? The cars going uphill. This means in winter you get cars sliding downhill on ice round a corner into an unsuspecting pedestrian who's stood in the middle of the road on the jutting out pavement, or the car coming uphill expecting them to yield. I warned the council it was a deathtrap, and do you know what reason they gave for the priority? "We don't want to have to make people do hill starts". I told them a hill start was in the driving test, and they refused to reply. I can't wait until there's a fatality, I'll go to court and tell them the council are liable, and were given ample warning.

--
A man has six items in his bathroom: toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel.
The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify more than 20 of these items.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

You don't throw yourself at the ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 27/09/2015 17:41, ARW wrote:
wrote in message

Don't think the population in general knows anything about DIY as IME
they
know nothing.

Tell us what you know about induction hobs, VAT returns and satellite
installations?

Are you seriously suggesting that these are DIY subjects?

Induction hobs will often need a Part P certificate, VAT returns can't be
used by the general population. Both definitely not DIY.

VAT returns can be DIY by small and medium sized business.

OK, I did install my own satellite dish and cabling, and later I swapped
the out the original LNB because I wanted more ports, but most people just
apply to Sky and they do the installation not the customer. Even if the
customer was prepared to DIY, Sky wouldn't let them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 05:10:04 +1000, Jim Thomas wrote:

"The knack to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground
and miss."

You don't throw yourself at the ground.

Isaac Newton does that bit for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

Presumably you actually are that stupid.

You don't get safety oil slicks to slow you
down so why have 'safety bumps'?

Because they do stop most of the traffic going
as fast as they would if they weren't there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:10:04 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

Why not?

--
Even very young children need to be informed about dying.
Explain the concept of death very carefully to your child.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Adrian wrote:

But what've "half a million foreigners coming in" got to do with the
price of fish?

Apart from anything else, VERY few recent migrants will be buying
properties.

For those coming from outside the EU - over half of all migrants - they
quite simply can't get mortgages unless they have ILR - which few will
have.

So they'll be put in social housing, or private rented accommodation.
This will increase pressure on the lower end of the market, and the
pressure will translate upwards.

Or do you imagine that we have half a million properties sitting empty,
every year, just awaiting the migrants?

You can be quite sure that they won't be expected to live in tents.

B'sides over half of all population growth in the UK is from the number
of births outstripping the number of deaths.

Of course, and that's a big factor. But take the immigrants out of the
equation and the pressure is much less.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Fredxxx wrote:

"disabled as a proportion" is a similar commodity as "proportion of
disabled people" in the context of "of all air travellers" or even
"people who travel by air"

What? I think you're trying to bu**** your way out of this now.

What exactly are you saying? I have never knowing flown in an aircraft
who needed that level of assistance.

So people in wheelchairs never fly? Geddout.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I am rather bored with this now, but I have been involved with small
business retail all my life and I can tell you that 1,000% mark-ups are
never necessary. This is 'charging what you can get away with', also
known as 'charging what the market will stand'. It is the exploiting of
a local monopoly made possible indirectly by the customers' disability
and age.

Yeah right, that's why small businesses go bankrupt easily.

No, that's usually because of changing patterns of trade, out of town
supermarkets, ridiculous parking restrictions used as a means of getting
revenue, refusal of older proprietors to change with the times,
outrageous rate demands, etc.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 05:10:04 +1000, Jim Thomas wrote:

"The knack to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground
and miss."

You don't throw yourself at the ground.

Isaac Newton does that bit for you.

He didnt do any flying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:10:04 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

Because it works much better to do it the right way.

It's only carrier landings where the pilot does anything
like throw the plane at the ground and they don't miss,
they hit it where they need to hit it instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:40:48 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I am rather bored with this now, but I have been involved with small
business retail all my life and I can tell you that 1,000% mark-ups are
never necessary. This is 'charging what you can get away with', also
known as 'charging what the market will stand'. It is the exploiting of
a local monopoly made possible indirectly by the customers' disability
and age.

Yeah right, that's why small businesses go bankrupt easily.

No, that's usually because of changing patterns of trade, out of town
supermarkets, ridiculous parking restrictions used as a means of getting
revenue, refusal of older proprietors to change with the times,
outrageous rate demands, etc.

If you sell less stuff, you need to make more profit on each item. I think your problem is that you think everyone is out to get you. Why do disabled people think this way? From what I've seen most folk go out of their way to help you lot.

--
Polynesia -- memory loss in parrots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

charles wrote:

same with the phrase "near miss" which ia actually a near hit - but a
complete miss.

As my Irish friend used to cry out triumphantly when he didn't have a
collision, despite being very drunk, "Missed it entoirely!"

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Jim Thomas wrote:

You don't throw yourself at the ground.

I can tell you that you do if you are stood on a ridge and you hear a
whooshing sound so you look round and a hang glider is just about to hit
you.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:43:31 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:10:04 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

You might be thrown at the ground unintentionally. You need to be able to recover from a plummet.

--
If you eat a judge's uniform you might contract a lawsuit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/09/2015 20:21, Bill Wright wrote:

Yes, true. If there weren't half a million foreigners coming in every
year house prices would be lower.

And if there weren't a whole lot of Polish/Lithuanian
builders/electricians/plumbers?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

Bill is NOT disabled, but Hil is.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

No, that's usually because of changing patterns of trade, out of town
supermarkets, ridiculous parking restrictions used as a means of getting
revenue, refusal of older proprietors to change with the times,
outrageous rate demands, etc.

If you sell less stuff, you need to make more profit on each item.

No, that is known as the spiral of death. What you need to do is
1. Try to increase sales by efficient advertising, promotions, events, etc
2. Make the organisation more efficient by:
3. Finding ways to economise
4. Reducing the number of staff
5. Moving to smaller premises more suited for the smaller volume of trade.
6. Look for wholesale bargains and alternative sources of goods.
7. Pay yourself less.

think your problem is that you think everyone is out to get you. Why do
disabled people think this way? From what I've seen most folk go out of
their way to help you lot.

Well to be honest I wasn't bad tempered and mardy like this at first.
After I lost the first leg I just thought it was bad luck. After the
second one I thought it was very bad luck. But after I lost both arms
within a fortnight I did start to think I was getting a rough deal. Then
I started with the gangrene and had to have my ears, nose, penis and
scrotum removed. I was OK for a while after that, on a plateau so to
speak, but then I developed chincough in the buttocks so they had to
come off. Then I got such bad ulcers inside I had to have my stomach and
intestines removed. I'll admit all this has left me a bit bitter and
twisted. But you're right, most folk do go out of their way to help the
disabled. Only the other day a bloke rolled me all the way from my front
door to the Asda.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 21:17:35 +0100, charles wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

Bill was the one that moaned about the cost.

--
The dot over the letter i is called a tittle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 21:18:27 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

No, that's usually because of changing patterns of trade, out of town
supermarkets, ridiculous parking restrictions used as a means of getting
revenue, refusal of older proprietors to change with the times,
outrageous rate demands, etc.

If you sell less stuff, you need to make more profit on each item.

No, that is known as the spiral of death. What you need to do is
1. Try to increase sales by efficient advertising, promotions, events, etc
2. Make the organisation more efficient by:
3. Finding ways to economise
4. Reducing the number of staff
5. Moving to smaller premises more suited for the smaller volume of trade.
6. Look for wholesale bargains and alternative sources of goods.
7. Pay yourself less.

You can't make a corner shop into a multinational supermarket.

[...]

Are you watching Monty Python?

--
Why do men die before their wives? They want to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I am rather bored with this now, but I have been involved with small
business retail all my life and I can tell you that 1,000% mark-ups are
never necessary. This is 'charging what you can get away with', also
known as 'charging what the market will stand'. It is the exploiting of
a local monopoly made possible indirectly by the customers' disability
and age.

Yeah right, that's why small businesses go bankrupt easily.

No, that's usually because of changing patterns of trade, out of town
supermarkets, ridiculous parking restrictions used as a means of getting
revenue, refusal of older proprietors to change with the times, outrageous
rate demands, etc.

The real reason small businesses go bankrupt easily is because
there are more trying to make a go of it than the market can
support. So the worst of them go bust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

They clearly don't with the prices they charge
for what they sell them with retail operations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Jim Thomas wrote:

"The knack to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and
miss."

You don't throw yourself at the ground.

I can tell you that you do if you are stood on a ridge and you hear a
whooshing sound so you look round and a hang glider is just about to hit
you.

You aren't flying if you are stood on a ridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

Small shop big price, nothing to do with disabled.

--
"I've never claimed to be anything more than a simple person" - Ronald Tompkins, circa 2013.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:43:31 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:10:04 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

That isn't throwing yourself at the ground.

You need to be able to recover from a plummet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 21:17:35 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

He's paying

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:10:04 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

Maybe you had to to avoid the plane you're dogfighting.

--
If you spin oriental folk till they are dizzy, do they become disoriented?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In uk.d-i-y Rod Speed wrote:
Speed bumps? What a stupid name. They cause you to slow down.

I've never fathomed out why something which mounts to an
obstruction or fault in the road can contribute to road safety.

Presumably you actually are that stupid.

You don't get safety oil slicks to slow you
down so why have 'safety bumps'?

Because they do stop most of the traffic going
as fast as they would if they weren't there.

....and a patch of ice with a sign won't do that?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

[...]

Quite so! The *target* speed is (Speed limit x 1.1) +2mph + speedometer
over-reading error as determined by a GPS speed calibration run on your
handiest 2 mile stretch of motorway. :-)

However, discretion being the better part of valour in this case, I'd
suggest a less ambitious target by excluding the +2mph allowance from the
equation.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

====snip====

"The knack to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground
and miss."

I never managed to master that knack.

I believe Arthur Dent finally mastered it (but he was a fictional hero
so not a real world example anyone should try to emulate... at least not
in real life).

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

[...]

I've never known a police officer use such a complex calculation. It's speed limit +10mph. Unless you have a good funny excuse then it's a little more. The best I've got away with is 95 in a 70.

--
Seven dwarfs sat in the tub, feeling Happy.
Then Happy got out, so they all felt Grumpy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

The prices they charge for what the disabled use
are much higher than with other small shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 21:51:39 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:43:31 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:10:04 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles

wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

You don't throw yourself at the ground when dogfighting
and there is no dogfighting anymore anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in message ...
In uk.d-i-y Rod Speed wrote:
Speed bumps? What a stupid name. They cause you to slow down.

I've never fathomed out why something which mounts to an
obstruction or fault in the road can contribute to road safety.

Presumably you actually are that stupid.

You don't get safety oil slicks to slow you
down so why have 'safety bumps'?

Because they do stop most of the traffic going
as fast as they would if they weren't there.

...and a patch of ice with a sign won't do that?

Much more difficult to maintain a patch of ice with
a sign on it to get people to slow down than to use
speed bumps which even you should have noticed
tend to last quite a bit longer than a patch of ice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 September 2015 21:26:35 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
You can't make a corner shop into a multinational supermarket.

Jack Cohen did (Tesco)

Peter and Fred Asquith did (Asda)

Michael Marks and Thomas Spencer did (guess who)

Etc.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:43:31 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:10:04 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:31:40 +0100, charles

wrote:

wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

[...]

Stop mincing words.

and there is no dogfighting anymore anyway.

Maybe it was a re-enactment.

--
Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the creator of human intelligence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 22:43:36 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 21:45:57 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:40:48 +0100, Bill Wright

Everything probably has to undergo safety tests or some such bull****.

--
I've never had a problem with drugs,
I've had problems with the police. - Keith Richards

Moving a Disabled Car Tim Wescott Metalworking 33 March 3rd 11 03:37 AM
Disabled parking and BB's [email protected] UK diy 1 November 13th 05 06:35 PM
Disabled turners? Tim Woodturning 17 February 21st 05 04:39 PM
Disabled Turner Paul Rasmussen Woodturning 0 November 13th 04 12:11 AM
Web supplier of disabled handrails? OldScrawn UK diy 7 January 26th 04 06:58 PM