Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is it illegal to fit a boiler yourself

I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?
AFAIK there has always been a requirement for this work to be
carried out by a competent person although this competence has
not been clearly defined.
Do you know someone who is Gas Safe registered and who will do the
gas element of the install and check other aspects? If so that
is the logical route.
If anything did go wrong in future and you couldn't prove
competence, you could well end up in serious doodoo!
Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

go on take a chance...nobody will find out until there is an explosion

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?

Non sequitur. Corgi registered does not equal competence. Corgi
registration just mean that you had paid your registration fee.

I doubt that GasSafe is much different.

AFAIK there has always been a requirement for this work to be
carried out by a competent person

Correct and sensible.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheChief wrote:
Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?

Sadly, Corgi (and the current Gas Safe) registration has never been a
guarantee of competence. They don't require an applicant to demonstrate
this.

AFAIK there has always been a requirement for this work to be
carried out by a competent person although this competence has
not been clearly defined.

I'd hope anyone attempting plumbing of any sort would be competent. And if
the OP installed his previous boiler with no problems, he likely is.

Do you know someone who is Gas Safe registered and who will do the
gas element of the install and check other aspects?
is the logical route.

And some might charge a fortune for this.

If anything did go wrong in future and you couldn't prove
competence, you could well end up in serious doodoo!

How to you prove something you've said there is no definition of?

But most would be very careful when doing gas work in their own house.
Self preservation is a powerful instinct. A problem is far more likely
with cowboy installers.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 11/09/2015 17:51, Jimbo /p wrote:
"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

go on take a chance...nobody will find out until there is an explosion

Given most people can smell gas when it leaks and self-preservation
would surely kick in, I suspect CO poisoning is a more salient risk...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?

Non sequitur. Corgi registered does not equal competence. Corgi
registration just mean that you had paid your registration fee.

When I was Corgi registered this bloke came out and inspected one of my
jobs.
However, this was 42 years ago .........................ARGGGGGGGGG!

I doubt that GasSafe is much different.

AFAIK there has always been a requirement for this work to be
carried out by a competent person

Correct and sensible.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2015 18:00, Tim+ wrote:
TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:

I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?

Non sequitur. Corgi registered does not equal competence. Corgi
registration just mean that you had paid your registration fee.

And have a certain minimum level of experience surely.

I doubt that GasSafe is much different.

Though what is certain is that if the installation blows the house to
tiny bits your insurance will not pay out if it was a DIY bodge job. A
house not far from here was spectacularly destroyed this way by a dodgy
DIY gas CH installation. The burnt out blackened shell stood by the
roadside as testament to this folly for years afterwards.

AFAIK there has always been a requirement for this work to be
carried out by a competent person

Correct and sensible.

The challenge is in being able to tell if your "competent" person
according to the official register is in fact competent/diligent or is
in fact quietly cutting corners to move on to his next paying job.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 11/09/2015 18:00, Tim+ wrote:
TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:

[...]

It's interesting how everyone has immediately assumed that it's a gas boiler
rather than an oil-fired one and hence is making references to Corgi
registration.

When we had our oil boiler replaced, the man who fitted it (who presented us
with the oil equivalent of Corgi registration documents) said that he had to
take exams every year to prove that he was familiar with current legislation
and that occasionally he had to have his work checked by an official from
the registration body to prove that he was putting his theoretical knowledge
into practice.

I'd expect the same to be true of Corgi - or the organisation that has
replaced it: that to remain a member, you have to demonstrate your
familiarity with current regs every so often.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Lee" wrote in message
On 11/09/2015 17:51, Jimbo /p wrote:
"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

go on take a chance...nobody will find out until there is an explosion

Given most people can smell gas when it leaks and self-preservation would
surely kick in, I suspect CO poisoning is a more salient risk...

http://www.hvnplus.co.uk/installer-a...100316.article

springs to mind as that is where I used to live (not that house but that
village).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/09/2015 18:00, Tim+ wrote:
TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:

[...]

So who certified the oil fired boilers when Corgi existed?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"NY" wrote in message
When we had our oil boiler replaced, the man who fitted it (who presented
us with the oil equivalent of Corgi registration documents) said that he
had to take exams every year to prove that he was familiar with current
legislation and that occasionally he had to have his work checked by an
official from the registration body to prove that he was putting his
theoretical knowledge into practice.

He also told us that the new expansion vessel (to prevent thermal expansion
of the hot water causing a rise in water pressure in the closed system) that
we'd had fitted to our old boiler a few months before it had failed and
needed replacing, was woefully small for the number of radiators and volume
of water circulating in the system - by a factor of about 10: we'd had a 2.5
litre vessel fitted within the boiler cabinet (lie-for-like replacement of
one that had ruptured) whereas we really needed a 25 litre vessel. He also
said that the new oil tank that we'd had fitted (again, like for like
replacement of one that was rusting and was in danger of perforating)
contravened several rules about placement (close to buildings etc) but that
he was not legally bound to report that so we left well alone. Both the oil
tank and expansion vessel were fitted by a well-known local company which
supplies heating oil and does boiler repairs - not a good advert for them,
and now we only use them to supply oil and get our new boiler serviced by
the guy that fitted it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"ARW" wrote in message
It's interesting how everyone has immediately assumed that it's a gas
boiler rather than an oil-fired one and hence is making references to
Corgi registration.

So who certified the oil fired boilers when Corgi existed?

A good question. Did Corgi certify non-gas boilers as well as gas ones? Were
they also familiar with oil-related regulations and plumbing regulations
such as size of expansion vessel (in lieu of header tank to accommodate
expansion)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2015 19:56, Martin Brown wrote:

The challenge is in being able to tell if your "competent" person
according to the official register is in fact competent/diligent or is
in fact quietly cutting corners to move on to his next paying job.

Its the company that is gassafe, individual fitters are not.
You could get a fitter that has never fitted the type of boiler you have
and still have it signed off by "gassafe".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2015 18:00, Tim+ wrote:
TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:

[...]

OFTEC, as is still the case...

HETAS for solid fuel.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 September 2015 15:45:22 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

ISTR there are issues if you fit a boiler for someone else. (ie for money)
But there are no actual laws to stop you fitting your own.
All revolves around competency as others have said.
ISTR there is a course wouldbe gas safe fitters go on but it's a one off event.
https://www.logic4training.co.uk/cou...z7EaAoAM8P8HAQ

The cunning thing to do if you want it checked out is ask someone to do a routine maintenance on it after a few months.

Or say you have just moved in and want it checked out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, I've known quite a few who have done this in years gone by. Most did
have friends who could inspect their work on the gas side though.
Gas should not be trifled with, which is why I have none in my current
house!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"TheChief" wrote in message
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?
AFAIK there has always been a requirement for this work to be
carried out by a competent person although this competence has
not been clearly defined.
Do you know someone who is Gas Safe registered and who will do the
gas element of the install and check other aspects? If so that
is the logical route.
If anything did go wrong in future and you couldn't prove
competence, you could well end up in serious doodoo!
Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Lee" wrote in message
On 11/09/2015 17:51, Jimbo /p wrote:
"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

go on take a chance...nobody will find out until there is an explosion

Given most people can smell gas when it leaks and self-preservation would
surely kick in, I suspect CO poisoning is a more salient risk...

http://www.hvnplus.co.uk/installer-a...100316.article

springs to mind as that is where I used to live (not that house but that
village).

That is terrible. A plumber near where I used to live gassed a family many
years ago.
Still in your link the ****ing cat died, so something good came out of it
all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The issue of self installation becomes a problem when trying to sell the house, the lawyers are becoming sticklers for all the paperwork being available from the original installer I believe a copy of which is lodged with the local BCO so householders cannot claim they "lost" it. Just getting a person to do the gas work does not make it "legal" as there other aspects of boiler installation that need to be signed off on other than gas safety. An example of this is the correct angling of flues for efficient condensing, these can be difficult to check unless done at the point of installation. I suspect very few pro's would sign off other people's work and land themselves in trouble if some time in the future a fault in the installation is found. Even getting a landlords safety check will not be good enough it might show a boiler is safe but not neccesarily that it was installed correctly, a subtle difference maybe. The safety check will not replace the original documents and will only show that on the day it was done the boiler was safe to use.

I have experience of this problem having installed a boiler at my last house getting a so-called pro do the gas work. The lack of original documents caused some problems. In the end we had to indemnify the new owner with a insurance policy which at the end of the day only cost circa £50 against any potential problems and it was condition on that the new owner was happy to accept it.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Lee" wrote in message
On 11/09/2015 17:51, Jimbo /p wrote:
"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

go on take a chance...nobody will find out until there is an explosion

Given most people can smell gas when it leaks and self-preservation
would surely kick in, I suspect CO poisoning is a more salient risk...

http://www.hvnplus.co.uk/installer-a...100316.article

springs to mind as that is where I used to live (not that house but that
village).

That is terrible. A plumber near where I used to live gassed a family many
years ago.
Still in your link the ****ing cat died, so something good came out of it
all.

It was a tom cat with nipples.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2015 09:29, harry wrote:

The cunning thing to do if you want it checked out is ask someone to do a routine maintenance on it after a few months.

Or say you have just moved in and want it checked out.

Absolutely.

All this twaddle about "ooohhhh you won't sell your house if the
lawyers.... not signed off blah blah blah"

If someone won't buy your house because they want a ****ificate for
everything you simply tell the estate agent you're taking it off the
market or that you refuse to sell to said purchaser.

If I saw a house I liked I'd buy it. Who gives a fig about whether it's
been done to a particular "standard". Anyone with an ounce of sense can
see if something right or wrong and as you say, simply checking
something out and getting it fixed AFTER it's been purchased.

"oh no I can't buy your house because you don't have an incompetence
tick sheet for your 1970's gas fire/boiler"

I pulled out a solid fuel parkray stove in my first house and fitted a
"living flame" effect fireplace with back boiler. Gas and all. Just
asked a local gas fitter to give it the once over.

Simple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 September 2015 10:11:23 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

A lame excuse for £50 off is trivial. Once 4yrs are past the policy is generally of no value anyway. Lots of houses have no documentation for anything, lots don't meet BR in most respects - its not usually a problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/15 16:37, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
[...]

As Dicky said, most problems can be solved with £50-100 on indemnity
insurance.

And ultimately, in the *worst worst worst* case you can always get the
boiler replaced. With the cheapest nastiest GasSafe installed one!

It's a little more difficult if you do some dodgy building work and and
up rebuilding half the house because you didn't do it right, but the
only element of the CH that actually matters is neatly contained in a
small box on the wall.

However, in today's climate where houses are in short supply, I would
just fill in the form honestly and as you say, threaten to cancel the
sale if the buyer doesn't like it. I suspect their minds will
re-evaluate the relative merits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 September 2015 17:23:12 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

As Dicky said, most problems can be solved with £50-100 on indemnity
insurance.

And ultimately, in the *worst worst worst* case you can always get the
boiler replaced. With the cheapest nastiest GasSafe installed one!

It's a little more difficult if you do some dodgy building work and and
up rebuilding half the house because you didn't do it right, but the
only element of the CH that actually matters is neatly contained in a
small box on the wall.

However, in today's climate where houses are in short supply, I would
just fill in the form honestly and as you say, threaten to cancel the
sale if the buyer doesn't like it. I suspect their minds will
re-evaluate the relative merits.

With a lot of houses just about nothing meets current BR, nor does it need to. Lawyers might have a duty to point out pitfalls and try to cover asses, but imho the whole thing is then blown out of proportion for financial 'benefit,' ie at someone elses's cost.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , =?UTF-
scribeth thus
[...]

Round here in Cambridge you don't argue with things like that as if you
did theres plenty of other competing for the same house and if you drop
out not only will it have gone up by several thousand a week or so later
you'll more than likely be out of the housing market anyway!....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 3:45:22 PM UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

Well, I 'fitted' my boiler in my last house, in so far as that I core drilled the wall, fitted the back plate and hung the boiler. I connected the water side of things too. But that's as far as I went.
Gas and electrical I left to a registered heating engineer who did his bit and obviously checked all was as it should be.
Illegal, what I did?

Jonno
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 September 2015 16:38:00 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 12/09/2015 09:29, harry wrote:

The cunning thing to do if you want it checked out is ask someone to do a
routine maintenance on it after a few months.

Or say you have just moved in and want it checked out.

Absolutely.

All this twaddle about "ooohhhh you won't sell your house if the
lawyers.... not signed off blah blah blah"

If someone won't buy your house because they want a ****ificate for
everything you simply tell the estate agent you're taking it off the
market or that you refuse to sell to said purchaser.

If I saw a house I liked I'd buy it.

The trouble is that most people need a mortgage to buy a house. If the
banks' solicitors decide they want certificates, it's going to be a lot
harder to sell without one.

Even if you can find somebody who doesn't need a mortgage, the lack of
competition means the price may well be lower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/15 11:05, Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

Well, there is fallback #2 as I said earlier - get a GasSafe bloke to
fit the ****tiest cheapest boiler he can find. On the scale of selling a
house, that will be a minor, if not irritating, blip.

And I suspect even banks have a way out as plenty of people lose
certificates (and actually GasSafe do not keep a backup of GasSafe certs
- only Building Notice certificates where gas is involved).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2015 11:05, Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

My own experience of this is it was a bit of a non issue. Last place I
sold had a self installed boiler, and I was up front about it and said
as a result there was no paperwork beyond my initial commissioning
results in the boiler's log book, plus a receipt for one service I had
contracted out. There were no further questions asked. (Obviously your
experience may be different).

The building control angle certainly comes into play on "big" stuff -
like checking that structural alterations are signed off, but there
seems to be far less interest in whether every new window has a fensa
cert logged with the LABC department. Answering "don't know" on the
relevant sales forms seems to be the normal way out. Even bigger stuff
like loft conversions etc will be treated differently depending on how
long ago work was done. So for example, when I bought my current place
it was highlighted that there was no completion cert for the loft
conversion it had undergone. However there was record of the stages
before, and the work was 20 years old now - so I did not care. (some
buyers may have insisted on the sellers providing indemnity insurance -
which is very cheap since in most cases there is no possibility it will
be claimed on). Obviously a place with recent structural work an no
trace of LABC involvement would raise more interest.

(there is so much low level stuff[1] that is supposed to be notified to
the LABC that I get the impression conveyancing solicitors etc have lost
interest with it)

[1] Mostly part L related (conservation of heat and power) - so things
like hot water cylinder change, heating system change, change to a
thermal element, new windows etc. Then part P, and Part M changes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2015 10:36, johno wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 3:45:22 PM UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

Well, I 'fitted' my boiler in my last house, in so far as that I core drilled the wall, fitted the back plate and hung the boiler. I connected the water side of things too. But that's as far as I went.
Gas and electrical I left to a registered heating engineer who did his bit and obviously checked all was as it should be.
Illegal, what I did?

That's certainly a a legit way if you can find a registered fitter happy
to work like that. Many "one man band" fitters may be less keen. Small
firms with a few staff are more likely to be open to it, since its often
they way they work anyway (keep one bod trained up and certified to the
eyebrows, who then checks and signs off the work of the staff doing the
actual work)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 September 2015 09:29:12 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Friday, 11 September 2015 15:45:22 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

ISTR there are issues if you fit a boiler for someone else. (ie for money)
But there are no actual laws to stop you fitting your own.
All revolves around competency as others have said.

I had this discussion last year, too much disagreement to come to a conclusin of course. I'm not sure who sets the ;law and whether the law has to be applied.
But when corgi ended and gas safe started the word compendent took on a new meaning, but few understand this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/competen...person-schemes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 September 2015 12:21:38 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 12 September 2015 09:29:12 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Friday, 11 September 2015 15:45:22 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:

I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

ISTR there are issues if you fit a boiler for someone else. (ie for money)
But there are no actual laws to stop you fitting your own.
All revolves around competency as others have said.

I had this discussion last year, too much disagreement to come to a conclusin of course. I'm not sure who sets the ;law and whether the law has to be applied.
But when corgi ended and gas safe started the word compendent took on a new meaning, but few understand this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/competen...person-schemes

which makes almost no diyer competent according to the law's definition, which does not actually mean competent.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
From what I read last year, you are not allowed to sign off someone
elses work.

I've heard this is exactly what happens in many firms. The person doing
the work isn't registered, and it is 'checked' by someone who is.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 September 2015 15:10:31 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
From what I read last year, you are not allowed to sign off someone
elses work.

I've heard this is exactly what happens in many firms.

Yep but firms are different to the DIY'er they should have procedures in place that check the proper hierachy of people doing the job, and that would show when something goes wrong who's to blame.

The person doing
the work isn't registered, and it is 'checked' by someone who is.

That is OK if that person is being employed or supervised by someone that
is gas safe or can prove they know what they are doing.
You also have to be compendent in the actual job you are doing.
So even if you have installed a gas pipeline from russia to UK that doesn't make you compentent (in itself) to replace a gas boiler in your home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 September 2015 14:05:13 UTC+1, wrote:
I had this discussion last year, too much disagreement to come to a conclusion
of course. I'm not sure who sets the law and whether the law has to be applied.

Parliament and the courts.

But when corgi ended and gas safe started the word competent took on a new
meaning, but few understand this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/competen...person-schemes

That seems to define the "Minimum technical competence (MTC) requirements for
competent person schemes". In other words, it's the bits of paper you need to
register with Gas-Safe (and hence be allowed to do gas work for hire or reward).

It doesn't define what "competent" means (which is what you need to be in order
to do *any* gas work - including for yourself). The law doesn't define that,
so it takes on it's ordinary meaning - basically, if you screw up, you have broken
the law.

which makes almost no diyer competent according to the law's definition,
which does not actually mean competent.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2015 13:37, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

From what I read last year, you are not allowed to sign off someone elses work.

If the work is done under "supervision" then it counts as your own work
IIUC. ISTR there was historically a chicken and egg situation that arose
otherwise in that you needed to show examples of competent work to be
able to join the scheme that would allow you to self certify.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
It doesn't define what "competent" means (which is what you need to be
in order to do *any* gas work - including for yourself). The law
doesn't define that, so it takes on it's ordinary meaning - basically,
if you screw up, you have broken the law.

Wonder how they cover it when someone who is registered and therefore
deemed competent screws up?

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

BBQ SMOKE IS ILLEGAL IN FLORIDA? Uncle Monster[_2_] Home Repair 60 August 3rd 15 10:11 PM
Hiring illegal help Aztec Home Repair 24 May 29th 07 11:38 PM
A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant [email protected] Home Repair 360 May 11th 06 12:09 AM
Are Leaf Rakes Illegal??? Doug Kanter Home Repair 74 November 6th 04 05:43 PM
Please help - illegal working in US Charlie Self Woodworking 30 June 9th 04 09:31 PM