Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is it illegal to fit a boiler yourself

On Monday, 14 September 2015 12:19:48 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/09/2015 10:36, johno wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 3:45:22 PM UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

Well, I 'fitted' my boiler in my last house, in so far as that I core drilled the wall, fitted the back plate and hung the boiler. I connected the water side of things too. But that's as far as I went.
Gas and electrical I left to a registered heating engineer who did his bit and obviously checked all was as it should be.
Illegal, what I did?

That's certainly a a legit way if you can find a registered fitter happy
to work like that. Many "one man band" fitters may be less keen. Small
firms with a few staff are more likely to be open to it, since its often
they way they work anyway (keep one bod trained up and certified to the
eyebrows, who then checks and signs off the work of the staff doing the
actual work)

From what I read last year, you are not allowed to sign off someone elses work.