Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Is it illegal to fit a boiler yourself

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 11/09/2015 18:00, Tim+ wrote:
TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:

I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?

Non sequitur. Corgi registered does not equal competence. Corgi
registration just mean that you had paid your registration fee.

And have a certain minimum level of experience surely.

I doubt that GasSafe is much different.

Though what is certain is that if the installation blows the house to tiny
bits your insurance will not pay out if it was a DIY bodge job. A house
not far from here was spectacularly destroyed this way by a dodgy DIY gas
CH installation. The burnt out blackened shell stood by the roadside as
testament to this folly for years afterwards.

AFAIK there has always been a requirement for this work to be
carried out by a competent person

Correct and sensible.

The challenge is in being able to tell if your "competent" person
according to the official register is in fact competent/diligent or is in
fact quietly cutting corners to move on to his next paying job.

It's interesting how everyone has immediately assumed that it's a gas boiler
rather than an oil-fired one and hence is making references to Corgi
registration.

When we had our oil boiler replaced, the man who fitted it (who presented us
with the oil equivalent of Corgi registration documents) said that he had to
take exams every year to prove that he was familiar with current legislation
and that occasionally he had to have his work checked by an official from
the registration body to prove that he was putting his theoretical knowledge
into practice.

I'd expect the same to be true of Corgi - or the organisation that has
replaced it: that to remain a member, you have to demonstrate your
familiarity with current regs every so often.