Doug Kanter

Default Are Leaf Rakes Illegal???

Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

Here to there

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:44:13 GMT, Doug Kanter wrote:
Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

Rochester NY: OK, Penfield. Close enough.

I spent about 3 hours with the leaf blower on Saturday. No idea how
many bags worth, since we put them all in a compost pile on the
back of the property this year, though in previous years we never
had any fewer than 60 or so bags.

Personally, I don't see why some people have such an issue with leaf
blowers. Sure, they're noisy. So are cars, lawnmowers, 390/490/590,
electric hedge trimmers, etc. My arms sure as heck feel a LOT better
after using the blower for a few hours than they do after using
a rake for even half as long. And using a rake in years past
took me the better part of the weekend to get those 60 bags filled.

Summation: I wish I had gotten a leaf blower YEARS ago.

- Rich

E Gregory

Here to there wrote:
[...]

Personally, I don't see why some people have such an issue with leaves.
Doug Kanter

wrote:
[...]

Maybe there's a trick to using the blower to get the leaves into the bags?
Something my neighbors haven't discovered? All they seem to use them for is
creating the initial pile.

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

They look good.....until they get matted down and turn the lawn into sauce.
Before we raked, I had leaves a foot deep on most of my lawn. Realtors
should remind buyers to check the prevailing winds before signing the
purchase offer. :-)

Curly Sue

wrote:

Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

Best of both worlds- rake the leaves into a pile (quietly), then use a
leaf vacuum/shredder for two minutes to suck them into a bag. Another
advantage, 1/2 (or less) the number of bags. Save the shreds and use
them for mulch in the garden.

Alternatively, just mow the leaves and let them disintegrate in place.

Sue(tm)
Edwin Pawlowski

"Here to there" wrote in message

Personally, I don't see why some people have such an issue with leaf
blowers. Sure, they're noisy. So are cars, lawnmowers, 390/490/590,
electric hedge trimmers, etc.

Because they are noisy. I don't care how loud it is if it was just you that
was hearing it, but I don't like to hear a couple of mowers going at 5 or 6
PM on an otherwise quiet Sunday while I'm trying to relax and enjoy dinner
on the deck.

I don't complain during the week after work or Saturday. I use a power
mower also. But I refuse to make noise during the weekend dinner time.

Yesterday I was raking my leaves. The neighbor across the street was
blowing his and I had this constant whine in my ears from it and I was 400
feet away. I finished first though as raking was faster that the blower
would move them.(there are probably higher powered ones) I considered
getting one myself, but I can see they don't really save time. He was
complaining that using the blower was causing some pain in the wrist.

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote:

[...]

Me neither....

No big deal here......just blow em into the neighbor's yard.......

--

SVL

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

Just moved in. Not enough garden dug up yet for the volume of leaves I have.
I tilled a 40x40 vegetable garden two weeks back, and it's already got 8
trillion bushels of a mowed grass/leaf mix mixed in and piled on. Next
spring, I'm removing 1/4 of the total lawn area and creating enormous flower
& shrub beds. Then there'll be a home for the leaves.

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote:

[...]

Composting is kinduva art--probly best to mix the brown and green matter
together in a pile.......the green ( grass clippings ) providing the
nitrogen, and let it all break down good *before* you till it in.......

--

SVL

m Ransley

Most are too noisy, my Echo is too noisy. Consumer Reports may rate
them.

John Deere make a nice unit, fairly quiet, light, and well balanced.
The exaust is shot out the blower tube so it is low to the ground and
doesnt get into your lungs.

willshak

Doug Kanter wrote:

Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

I spent a couple of hours using a rake today. Big green plastic thing. I
rake mainly to get the leaves away from fences and other structures so I
could then mulch them with a garden tractor, then use the tractor to
sweep them up so I could throw them into the compost heap.
There are still some trees with leaves hanging on for dear life, so I
may have to do it again before winter sets in.
Minnie Bannister

I mowed our lawn (last time this year?) and simultaneously shredded the
leaves on Saturday while our neigbors were raking theirs, and after I'd
finished I found the gardening column in the local paper with a
recommendation to shred insted of rake or blow.

--
MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican on November 2, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your
elected representatives.

On 11/01/04 04:37 pm Curly Sue put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

Alternatively, just mow the leaves and let them disintegrate in place.

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but I want to start small. I have a corner lot, so the place where I'd
like to put multiple compost bins is where it would be visible to two
neighbors. I'm waiting for delivery of a Soilmaker (your basic tall plastic
box - a model I've used in the past). I'll probably add 3 more in the
spring. In this neighborhood, an open pile or a chicken wire thing would
look out of place, even though they'd be beautiful to me.

Or.....plant a hedge to surround the compost factory. We'll see. I have more
ideas than I have time and cash at the moment.

Doug Kanter

I followed a woman here to get married. Left Long Island, which had
advantages and disadvantages. I don't miss the traffic, or the fact that
women there put on 12 pounds of makeup just to run to the grocery store for
a gallon of milk. But the beach....at least there was the beach.

"Art" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote:

[...]

We corrall them in with old pallets--and its much easier to turn the pile
over if your corral is twice the size as your pile, turn from left to right.

Probly lots of ideas in one of the gardening forums, one might be just what
your doctor erdered.

--

SVL

Doug Kanter

Agreed. I stupidly punished myself by not exploring water for about 3 years
after I moved. The Finger Lakes and the Adirondack lakes are gorgeous, but
there's still nothing like a real beach, especially after Labor Day, when
the lawyers and fashion queens have vacated.

"xrongor" wrote in message
that was the ONLY thing i missed when i moved inland. the beach...

randy

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I followed a woman here to get married. Left Long Island, which had
advantages and disadvantages. I don't miss the traffic, or the fact that
women there put on 12 pounds of makeup just to run to the grocery store
for
a gallon of milk. But the beach....at least there was the beach.

"Art" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Dan

Curly Sue-I thought I was the only one who knew about the mower trick
;-) I have a mid size tractor with a mulching deck, (and a lot of leaves
from numerous mature pin oaks, maples, lindens, etc) 2-3 times over the
yard twice a season mulches them neatly into the grass with no more
effort than cutting the lawn, which I assume is using them as
fertilizer. I do it 1st when about half are down, then again when they
all are. Been doing it for years, every fall the neighbors still stare
like I'm nuts but no dead patches in the lawn or other adverse effects.
Only trick is they have to be pretty dry to chop up effectively. The
pin oaks in particular practically turn to powder.

Used to use a leaf blower to blow the gutters clean. Always wore
hearing protection. Damn things stink too, 2 cycle engines are pretty
dirty. Recently I got a Ridgid 5 hp shop vac with the larger diameter
hose, tried it on the gutters not really expecting it to work & was
stunned how effective it is. I'll NEVER use another method. Plus
unlike the blower which blasted the leaves everywhere, you just empty
the vac into a suitable container; nothing to rake up! A big-ass shop
vac is one of the best things to have around the house!

Dan

wrote:

[...]

Michael Daly

On 1-Nov-2004, Here to there wrote:

Sure, they're noisy. So are cars

If your car is as noisy as a leaf blower, get it fixed. Compared
to leaf blowers, cars are silent.

Alternatively, get your hearing checked - you might be deaf.

Mike

Doug Kanter

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Wait till you have water all over your basement floor for some unexpected
reason. You'll be hugging that shop vac when it's all over. :-)

F.H.

Doug Kanter wrote:

Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

Here in California they really should drop the "leaf" part, and just
call them blowers. Just as common to see them making a cloud of dust
in a parking lot as it is to see them blowing leaves. Terrific for
people with allergies and asthma.

tcg

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Most are too noisy, my Echo is too noisy. Consumer Reports may rate
them.

John Deere make a nice unit, fairly quiet, light, and well balanced.
The exaust is shot out the blower tube so it is low to the ground and
doesnt get into your lungs.

Anybody here ever heard of "ear plugs"? I wear them when I mow also.

TURTLE

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

This isTurtle.

A Leaf blower is the only Democratic thing to do. A Tightwad Republican would
just buy a old rake and work hard to do the job and not spend all day blowing
leafs around.

TURTLE

Doug Kanter

"F.H." wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

I had a neighbor who, after washing his GMC pickup, would come outside every
hour or two and use a leaf blower to eliminate any dust that had settled on
the truck. What a piece of work HE was. :-) My son figured out his phobias
at age 10. He and a couple of friends figured out that in the summer, when
Mr Pickup's windows were open, it was fun to yell to each other "Hey! Anyone
wanna play frisbee?", and watch the neighbor run out and move his truck
halfway down the street. We didn't even OWN a frisbee.

Joe_Stein

Personally, I use both blower/shreadder and leaf rake. I give some
leaves to the neighbors, but I do it inconspicuously (blow it into the
street and hope the wind gives it to the neighbors). :-)

Joe
NW Ohio

Doug Kanter wrote:
Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

Art

I grew up on Long Island.... Massapequa Park. Went to college in Rochester
and escaped the northeast in 1980. Between Long Island and Rochester, you
made a home run. At least Rochester is prepared for all but the worse snow
storms. Someday Long Island will be swamped by a hurricane.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I followed a woman here to get married. Left Long Island, which had
advantages and disadvantages. I don't miss the traffic, or the fact that
women there put on 12 pounds of makeup just to run to the grocery store
for
a gallon of milk. But the beach....at least there was the beach.

"Art" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

F.H.

3rd eye wrote:

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:07:47 GMT, "F.H."
wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

Here in California they really should drop the "leaf" part, and just
call them blowers. Just as common to see them making a cloud of dust
in a parking lot as it is to see them blowing leaves. Terrific for
people with allergies and asthma.

Would that be Southern CA.?
If thats the case they use them cause they don't want to scratch the
ground.

Yes, we are very sensitive about the environment. No need for leaf
blowers tomorrow. The Santa Ana winds are due.
Art

You really need to come down to a North Carolina beach for a vacation. I
hate the beach but even so I have to admit it is beautiful here (though
boring and I hate the sun). Incredibly uncrowded unless you go to a tourist
trap. Fly down to Raleigh and it is a 2 hour drive to the beach. The
airfares are cheap. You will never miss a Long Island beach again if you
visit a NC beach. The sand is so fine and clean it just slips off of you.
Nothing like the grit of Jones Beach. And no beach pits.

"xrongor" wrote in message
that was the ONLY thing i missed when i moved inland. the beach...

randy

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I followed a woman here to get married. Left Long Island, which had
advantages and disadvantages. I don't miss the traffic, or the fact
that
women there put on 12 pounds of makeup just to run to the grocery store
for
a gallon of milk. But the beach....at least there was the beach.

"Art" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Doug Kanter

I was in Duck (Outer Banks) a few years back. Friends who know me said "Do
***NOT*** drive south after you unpack your bags. If you must go anywhere,
go North". Good advice. Nice & quiet.

link.net...

"xrongor" wrote in message
that was the ONLY thing i missed when i moved inland. the beach...

randy

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I followed a woman here to get married. Left Long Island, which had
advantages and disadvantages. I don't miss the traffic, or the fact
that
women there put on 12 pounds of makeup just to run to the grocery

store
for
a gallon of milk. But the beach....at least there was the beach.

"Art" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Phisherman

wrote:

Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

We bought a powerful leaf blower this year and can gather an acre of
leaves in less than 2 hours. Yes, they are noisy and ear protection
is recommended.

wrote:

Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

Pollution is the worst thing about them. The gardeners here use them
to blow the odd leaf and the dirt around the yard. The other day, I
swept the sidewalk in less then 3 minutes with a push broom. The job
takes five minutes for the chuckleheads with the blowers.
They put out more pollution than a car by a long shot.

Doug Kanter

"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

Uh oh. I thought I was a Democrat.

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags
of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use
of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their
early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take
all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want
an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire
generation.

What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and
forcing them to buy leaf blowers?

End of Totally Pointless Rant

Actually, when I want to rake leaves I hitch up the hay rake to my
tractor.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/