Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is it illegal to fit a boiler yourself

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 3:45:22 PM UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

People are assuming this is for a house. It might be for a boat in which case the rule is:

"We [the Boat Safety Scheme] strongly We strongly recommend that
any work on LPG systems be carried out by a suitably competent person. "

i.e. "recommend" not "require"

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2015 11:16, Tim Watts wrote:

Well, there is fallback #2 as I said earlier - get a GasSafe bloke to
fit the ****tiest cheapest boiler he can find. On the scale of selling a
house, that will be a minor, if not irritating, blip.

New people bought a house near me recently (after the previous owner
went doo-lally and she ended up in care).

She had replaced the original 1976 baxi bermuda back boiler in 2005 with
a new version of the same boiler, complete with a new hot water
cylinder, pumped primary, and stainless steel flue in place of the
original flue blocks. That cost £4,600 in 2005.

Dumb new owners have ripped it all out, including the loft tanks, and
fitted an 'Ideal' combi :-(.

When I pointed out that the baxi had another 20 years of life to the new
owner, he said 'but the Ideal boiler has a 7 year warranty' (and he'll
need it too). I pointed out that Vauxhall Astras have a 7 year warranty,
but they are still crap cars !!.

And I suspect even banks have a way out as plenty of people lose
certificates (and actually GasSafe do not keep a backup of GasSafe certs
- only Building Notice certificates where gas is involved).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 September 2015 09:33:24 UTC+1, RobertL wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 3:45:22 PM UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

People are assuming this is for a house. It might be for a boat in which case the rule is:

"We [the Boat Safety Scheme] strongly We strongly recommend that
any work on LPG systems be carried out by a suitably competent person. "

i.e. "recommend" not "require"

It also says strongly, but not how strongly. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2015 19:56, Martin Brown wrote:
On 11/09/2015 18:00, Tim+ wrote:
TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:

I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?

Non sequitur. Corgi registered does not equal competence. Corgi
registration just mean that you had paid your registration fee.

And have a certain minimum level of experience surely.

I doubt that GasSafe is much different.

Though what is certain is that if the installation blows the house to
tiny bits your insurance will not pay out if it was a DIY bodge job. A
house not far from here was spectacularly destroyed this way by a dodgy
DIY gas CH installation. The burnt out blackened shell stood by the
roadside as testament to this folly for years afterwards.

I smelt gas when I commissioned the last gas boiler I installed. It was
the night of the IRA bomb in Guildford so I was reminded by my radio of
the possible consequences.

I eventually found a leak on the new Ideal Standard wall mounted boiler
that I had bought.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 3:10:31 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
From what I read last year, you are not allowed to sign off someone
elses work.

I've heard this is exactly what happens in many firms. The person doing
the work isn't registered, and it is 'checked' by someone who is.

Indeed so. However this is not the recommended practice. The person signing off the work has to be really sure the work was done correctly. Mostly any serious faults would show up during a commissioning inspection.

A number years ago I had a part time job for a firm of local builders where I did the inspection, commissioning, registration and de-snagging.

Most installs were fine but one was in such direct contravention of the instructions (flue siting clearances) it had to be done again.

I said to someone, "I wouldn't have this job if the Poles could read the instructions and the Brits would read them".

Competence would probably include having been involved with installing a boiler before and demonstrable competence on the practical skills needed.

The things that you won't be able to do a
* Register the guarantee.
Realistically there are few problems even on the low end model for several years. The most unreliable component by far and away is the expansion and it's collateral damage, keeping an eye on it is likely better than the guarantee.

*Submit the mandatory building regs. certification (the chance of getting caught on this away from a site where building control are otherwise involved is low).

*Combustion analysis. It is unlikely that you'll need to make adjustment to the burner but without a flue gas analyser you won't be able to check for correct operation.

Really the best bet is to cooperate with a registered pro (those who can't cooperate would be worth working with).

Ed Sirett
Registered Heating Engineer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 12:30:53 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
It doesn't define what "competent" means (which is what you need to be
in order to do *any* gas work - including for yourself). The law
doesn't define that, so it takes on it's ordinary meaning - basically,
if you screw up, you have broken the law.

Wonder how they cover it when someone who is registered and therefore
deemed competent screws up?

When a pro screws up that's in the negligent category they may get into trouble
if found out. Depending on the consequences and the severity of the negligence they could find themselves with anything up to a custodial sentence, though usually loss of registration, fines and community payback are the sanctions.

Of course none of us are perfect and everyone occasionally make a mistake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
The things that you won't be able to do a * Register the guarantee.
Realistically there are few problems even on the low end model for
several years. The most unreliable component by far and away is the
expansion and it's collateral damage, keeping an eye on it is likely
better than the guarantee.

I bought my Viessmann new off an Ebay seller and self installed it.

I initially had problems with it tripping out, and Viessmann sent a field
engineer round who replaced loads of bits - to no avail. Like all the
electronics.

By total chance I discovered it was the ionisation sensor. The replacement
was a modified type. Not had any problems since, and it's now well out of
warranty.

Two points.

A plus for Viessmann for honouring their obligations even on a self
install.
A minus for not having an engineer who could sort the original problem.
Even their technical guy who was so helpful on the phone didn't know the
sensor had been modified.

To be fair to them, being me I didn't want just a basic installation of
this system boiler. I wanted to be able to switch the boiler from heating
plus water to water only etc and switch it off too via a remote panel,
rather than the one on the boiler. So I used (on their advice) a zone
controller for this - but with no individual zones.

What would have been better would have been to simply re-site the boiler
control panel, but they said this wasn't possible, as the buss wires
couldn't be extended.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
It doesn't define what "competent" means (which is what you need to be
in order to do *any* gas work - including for yourself). The law
doesn't define that, so it takes on it's ordinary meaning - basically,
if you screw up, you have broken the law.

Wonder how they cover it when someone who is registered and therefore
deemed competent screws up?

When a pro screws up that's in the negligent category they may get into trouble
if found out. Depending on the consequences and the severity of the negligence they could find themselves with anything up to a custodial sentence, though usually loss of registration, fines and community payback are the sanctions.

Of course none of us are perfect and everyone occasionally make a mistake.

Is that you Mr Sirett? Long time no hear!

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Yep. It's been a while.
Currently I'm accessing this through google-groups.
Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2015 23:55, wrote:
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 5:07:01 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:

Is that you Mr Sirett? Long time no hear!

Yep. It's been a while.
Currently I'm accessing this through google-groups.

Nice to have you back ;-)

There are some free news servers about:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._Party_servers

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 September 2015 09:33:24 UTC+1, RobertL wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 3:45:22 PM UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Ta

Steve

People are assuming this is for a house. It might be for a boat in which case the rule is:

"We [the Boat Safety Scheme] strongly We strongly recommend that
any work on LPG systems be carried out by a suitably competent person. "

i.e. "recommend" not "require"

Robert

LPG is significantly more dangerous than natural gas.
Especially on boats.Being heavier than air it can collect in invisible pools and not disperse.

BBQ SMOKE IS ILLEGAL IN FLORIDA? Uncle Monster[_2_] Home Repair 60 August 3rd 15 10:11 PM
Hiring illegal help Aztec Home Repair 24 May 29th 07 11:38 PM
A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant [email protected] Home Repair 360 May 11th 06 12:09 AM
Are Leaf Rakes Illegal??? Doug Kanter Home Repair 74 November 6th 04 05:43 PM
Please help - illegal working in US Charlie Self Woodworking 30 June 9th 04 09:31 PM