Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is it illegal to fit a boiler yourself

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
The things that you won't be able to do a * Register the guarantee.
Realistically there are few problems even on the low end model for
several years. The most unreliable component by far and away is the
expansion and it's collateral damage, keeping an eye on it is likely
better than the guarantee.

I bought my Viessmann new off an Ebay seller and self installed it.

I initially had problems with it tripping out, and Viessmann sent a field
engineer round who replaced loads of bits - to no avail. Like all the
electronics.

By total chance I discovered it was the ionisation sensor. The replacement
was a modified type. Not had any problems since, and it's now well out of
warranty.

Two points.

A plus for Viessmann for honouring their obligations even on a self
install.
A minus for not having an engineer who could sort the original problem.
Even their technical guy who was so helpful on the phone didn't know the
sensor had been modified.

To be fair to them, being me I didn't want just a basic installation of
this system boiler. I wanted to be able to switch the boiler from heating
plus water to water only etc and switch it off too via a remote panel,
rather than the one on the boiler. So I used (on their advice) a zone
controller for this - but with no individual zones.

What would have been better would have been to simply re-site the boiler
control panel, but they said this wasn't possible, as the buss wires
couldn't be extended.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.