Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Is it illegal to fit a boiler yourself

On 14/09/2015 11:16, Tim Watts wrote:

Well, there is fallback #2 as I said earlier - get a GasSafe bloke to
fit the ****tiest cheapest boiler he can find. On the scale of selling a
house, that will be a minor, if not irritating, blip.

New people bought a house near me recently (after the previous owner
went doo-lally and she ended up in care).

She had replaced the original 1976 baxi bermuda back boiler in 2005 with
a new version of the same boiler, complete with a new hot water
cylinder, pumped primary, and stainless steel flue in place of the
original flue blocks. That cost £4,600 in 2005.

Dumb new owners have ripped it all out, including the loft tanks, and
fitted an 'Ideal' combi :-(.

When I pointed out that the baxi had another 20 years of life to the new
owner, he said 'but the Ideal boiler has a 7 year warranty' (and he'll
need it too). I pointed out that Vauxhall Astras have a 7 year warranty,
but they are still crap cars !!.

And I suspect even banks have a way out as plenty of people lose
certificates (and actually GasSafe do not keep a backup of GasSafe certs
- only Building Notice certificates where gas is involved).