Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Is it illegal to fit a boiler yourself

"NY" wrote in message
When we had our oil boiler replaced, the man who fitted it (who presented
us with the oil equivalent of Corgi registration documents) said that he
had to take exams every year to prove that he was familiar with current
legislation and that occasionally he had to have his work checked by an
official from the registration body to prove that he was putting his
theoretical knowledge into practice.

He also told us that the new expansion vessel (to prevent thermal expansion
of the hot water causing a rise in water pressure in the closed system) that
we'd had fitted to our old boiler a few months before it had failed and
needed replacing, was woefully small for the number of radiators and volume
of water circulating in the system - by a factor of about 10: we'd had a 2.5
litre vessel fitted within the boiler cabinet (lie-for-like replacement of
one that had ruptured) whereas we really needed a 25 litre vessel. He also
said that the new oil tank that we'd had fitted (again, like for like
replacement of one that was rusting and was in danger of perforating)
contravened several rules about placement (close to buildings etc) but that
he was not legally bound to report that so we left well alone. Both the oil
tank and expansion vessel were fitted by a well-known local company which
supplies heating oil and does boiler repairs - not a good advert for them,
and now we only use them to supply oil and get our new boiler serviced by
the guy that fitted it.