Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Is it illegal to fit a boiler yourself

On 11/09/2015 20:30, ARW wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 11/09/2015 18:00, Tim+ wrote:
TheChief wrote:
"Mr Sandman" Wrote in message:

I fitted my last one, can i still fit my own?

Were you Corgi registered when you fitted the last one?
If not, how did you decide that you were competent?

Non sequitur. Corgi registered does not equal competence. Corgi
registration just mean that you had paid your registration fee.

And have a certain minimum level of experience surely.

I doubt that GasSafe is much different.

Though what is certain is that if the installation blows the house to
tiny bits your insurance will not pay out if it was a DIY bodge job.
A house not far from here was spectacularly destroyed this way by a
dodgy DIY gas CH installation. The burnt out blackened shell stood by
the roadside as testament to this folly for years afterwards.

AFAIK there has always been a requirement for this work to be
carried out by a competent person

Correct and sensible.

The challenge is in being able to tell if your "competent" person
according to the official register is in fact competent/diligent or
is in fact quietly cutting corners to move on to his next paying job.

It's interesting how everyone has immediately assumed that it's a gas
boiler rather than an oil-fired one and hence is making references to
Corgi registration.

So who certified the oil fired boilers when Corgi existed?

OFTEC, as is still the case...

HETAS for solid fuel.

--
Cheers,