Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

LOL, give it another 10 years or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2015 19:43, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

I find that at 66, half a day or so of "average" DIY is about right.

Personally, I find half a day of writing or desk based consultancy work
equally tiring.

I think one gets better with age/experience at pacing and prioritising.
I very seldom set deadlines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
[...]

I do three hours now and I'm as physically tired as I used to be, ten
years ago, after eight hours.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/15 19:43, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

I'm 47. I would add a caveat that I'm too round. It's genetic. And I
like food and beer.

Anyway - I could be fitter, but I'm not bad. My only two concerns are
knees get a bit crunchy but I find they get completely better if I do a
course of glucosamine and gym work on the bikes seem to do them the
power of good.

The other is I had a double hernia fix - left inguinal and belly button
- that latter was not what I went for and I did not even realise, but
the bloke noticed when he prodded pre-keyhole surgery. He offered to fix
that as he was going in that way anyway - it was very minor.

The former is great. The latter does worry me - get a fair few twinges
of late across the front of my guts, but I am undecided if that's just
scar tissue pulling. GP can only find the merest hint of any problem and
isn't bothered.

So my game plan is to lose several stone. Reckon that will sort out
everything.

I was never much for endurance - I'm more of a diesel - a plodder. I do
not go fast at anything but I keep going when I've started, so I cannot
comment too much on relative fitness.

But as I can knock my heart upto to 150 odd without feeling weird in the
gym, I count my blessings as there's others far worse off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

I, too, am finding aches and pains accompanying some tasks that used to be
easy - but then I'm 75 next month.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message ...

Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

Well I'm 65 and quite pleased how I'm able to do physical tasks.
Historically I've not had a physically demanding job, but since retiring a
few years back and taking on a small farm with livestock activity has been a
necessity rather than an option! As an example, at the moment I'm having a
new pig pen built. Did all the ground works myself, and although I'm paying
a brickie, I'm bumping out his bricks ready for the next day, and have been
knocking up umpteen mixer loads of screed etc

Not saying that the aches and pains don't occur - they do, but ibuprofen
sorts most things out, failing that there's always a stiff Whisky soda

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 17/04/2015 19:43, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

I've returned to Morris Dancing (seriously!) after a 30 year gap -
highly recommended!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

I'm quite a lot older than that and I do feel the pace more than I used
to. I'm also a lot more careful about my back, and injuries generally,
because they take a lot longer to mend than when I was younger.

However I feel that "use or lose it" is the watchword and if I'd stopped
as soon as the going got tough I'd be in a lot worse shape by now. DIY
is a good way of keeping active.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Cursitor Doom
scribeth thus
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

Much the same here now at 63 the old arthritis is causing a bit of grief
some of it dodgy hip joints, runs in the family, but as the doc sez put
off having them replaced as long as possible.

But a daily dose of ibuprofen helps keep it in check but no, not quite
as energetic and agile as I once was in the early 50's.

Back got a bit buggered in an accident some years ago as did the neck
but in that I very nearly died so I'm grateful to be still around.

Welcome to older age mate;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 21:33:01 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

The other is I had a double hernia fix - left inguinal and belly button
- that latter was not what I went for and I did not even realise, but
the bloke noticed when he prodded pre-keyhole surgery. He offered to fix
that as he was going in that way anyway - it was very minor.

The former is great. The latter does worry me - get a fair few twinges
of late across the front of my guts, but I am undecided if that's just
scar tissue pulling. GP can only find the merest hint of any problem and
isn't bothered.

I had the belly button one done about 20 odd years ago. It took a couple
of years before it was really comfortable.

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

What about us animals ?

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really
start to feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?

Haven't seen that yet.

Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years.

Haven't noticed that effect. My dad did get me to do some
strength requiring stuff when he was in his 80s but I dont
do that and I am heading into my 70s now.

And now at 56 I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr
day more and more knackering and ache+pain inducing.

I dont find that. The last major effort was getting rid of a hell
of a lot of dead wood and full dead trees and me and my
neighbour who is a bit older than me did that without any
real knackering or ache+pain inducing.

I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

See above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2015 23:49, Cash wrote:
ARW wrote:
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start
to feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was
at 25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some
strength by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years.
And now at 56 I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day
more and more knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering
if I'm alone! Your experience?

I am feeling it now at 44 at work.

I'm feeling it now at 70+ - and one of my 6 year old grandkids even beat me
at arm wrestling after Sunday lunch today. Well he is a strong little bugger
and he cheated by using both his arms at the same time. That's my story and
I'm sticking to it! vbg

On a serious note, I can still do many jobs, as long as they aren't at floor
level (a bugger to get up again). I also find that the kettle, teapot and my
very old (and full of sawdust and shavings) workshop arm chair get used a
lot more now than it used to during the jobs that I do in the shop.

The one good thing of old-age though, is that the eldest grandkids will help
their bampi Cash by doing some of the floor and bench work for me - while I
sit there drinking tea, eating the biccies and reading the daily paper
(naughty mags are forbidden in that workshop by the boss SWMBO)!

Cash

I think it was Billy Connolly who observed that those noises you make
when getting up from the sofa get louder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 10:28:08 PM UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

Hitting 40 was no problem Ditto hitting 50 but after 60 it starts to hurt and after 70 I get tired much quicker. A little snooze around mid-day helps. Lifting is no problem but grip in both hands is gone to hell and kneeling, no, getting down to kneel and getting up again, is a real *******. Now I'm very careful where I place things.

Weight is a constant battle. Only answer is stop eating. Exercise per se is boring though I enjoy the bike in the good weather.

But what's the point moaning. My generation is lasting much better than our parents generation. My father died at 56. My mother made it into her seventies but suffered dementia for her last few years.

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week and enjoy what I do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

Didn't for me.

and after 70 I get tired much quicker.

Don't find that either.

A little snooze around mid-day helps.

Yes, been doing that for decades now but don't
get any major effect when it isn't possible.

Lifting is no problem but grip in both hands is gone to hell

Haven't had that myself.

and kneeling,

I don't do much of that because I managed to shatter my kneecap
decades ago now and so can't kneel very well after that.

no, getting down to kneel and getting up again, is a real *******.

I don't find that a major problem.

Now I'm very careful where I place things.

I'm not.

Weight is a constant battle.

Not for me. I'm within the ideal BMI range effortlessly.

Only answer is stop eating.

No, just eat less.

Exercise per se is boring

I walk for exercise and listen to podcasts
from our equivalent of the BBC.

though I enjoy the bike in the good weather.

I can't ride anymore because of the kneecap.

But what's the point moaning.

True.

My generation is lasting much better than our parents generation.

That isn't true of mine.

My father died at 56.

Mine managed to last into his 90s and most of my relos on
that side of the family have done too, but not his parents.

My mother made it into her seventies

Mine only lasted until her mid 40s, breast cancer.

but suffered dementia for her last few years.

My dad was a bit strange in the last few years but not full dementia.

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week

I don't.

and enjoy what I do.

I've always been in the fortunate position that people
were stupid enough to pay me well to do what I would
quite happily do for free and have kept doing that and
will do that until I die.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But what's the point moaning. My generation is lasting much better than our
parents generation. My father died at 56. My mother made it into her seventies
but suffered dementia for her last few years.

Very true, and what we tend to forget..

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week and enjoy what I do.

I reckon thats a very good thing if you like what you do and have a
reason to get up in the morning.

A few of our mob retied and dropped dead within around two years;(...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2015 12:08, fred wrote:

Hitting 40 was no problem Ditto hitting 50 but after 60 it starts to hurt and after 70 I get tired much quicker.

A little snooze around mid-day helps. Lifting is no problem but grip
in both hands is gone to hell and kneeling,

no, getting down to kneel and getting up again, is a real *******. Now
I'm very careful where I place things.

Weight is a constant battle. Only answer is stop eating. Exercise per se is boring though I enjoy the bike in the good weather.

But what's the point moaning. My generation is lasting much better than our parents generation.

My father died at 56. My mother made it into her seventies but suffered
dementia for her last few years.

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week and enjoy what I do.

keep at it Fred, the younger generation will have to get used to working
until they are 70, unless they realise you only get what you fight for
in this country, they will be back to 60 hr weeks no holiday pay, save
up to see a doctor etc etc.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2015 01:07, bm wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 16:02:50 +0100, Malcolm Race wrote:

W hen did you start taking statins?

That's prolly true, Bob. I'm 67 and have been taking them for 10 years.
Aches and pains is an understatement.

Only a tiny percentage of the population *need* to take statins.

If your cholesterol is a bit raised, then just change your diet. Read
the labels on everything you buy and you will soon see where the
saturated fats are (in all the manufactured food crap). Eat at least one
or two tins of sardines and/or wild salmon every week.

If you are overweight, then do something positive to reduce it. Your LDL
and blood pressure will then correct themselves. Eating oily fish will
boost your HDL.

Once you have passed 70, don't assume that nanny state and other
taxpayers will always be there to provide unlimited 'free' NHS for you.
The annual cost of the NHS is now an eye-watering £115 Billion and
rising faster than money can be garnered in taxation. Since 1948 the NHS
has consumed 4% more *every* year than the previous year. It was created
with a massive loan from the Yanks (someone should tell Ed Milipede
this) and has been funded by DEBT ever since.

All the other government calculations re pensions, debt etc are based on
just 3% annual inflation. See the barclays equity/gilt studies since
1900 for evidence.

QED, the NHS is going to fail, just like the (Scottish) banks did. It's
just a matter of time. I predict October 2015.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer writes:

But what's the point moaning. My generation is lasting much better than our
parents generation. My father died at 56. My mother made it into her seventies
but suffered dementia for her last few years.

Very true, and what we tend to forget..

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week and enjoy what I do.

I reckon thats a very good thing if you like what you do and have a
reason to get up in the morning.

My dad is in his eighties. He has just given up his office at work that
they let him keep for some years after officially retiring, but he is
still working at home on his complex mathematical modelling calculations
of the Sun's oscillating modes. (He's a research physicist, specialising
in the Sun.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2015 23:31, Tony Bryer wrote:
The one thing I really notice is lifting: 40 years ago I used to manage
50kg cement sacks, now I couldn't lift one with serious risk of injury.

This might be a good time to raise the flag someone else always did -
get your thyroid checked. It turned out my lack of energy wasn't just
old age.

Though digging that treestump out on Saturday still hurt...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at
56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

I am feeling it now at 44 at work.

At 49 I was the oldest engineer my old boss ever employed. Initially he
refused me due to my age. Then he came back to me.

At 62 I helped out on a major house renovation and got very well paid for
it.

Yep, I also work on them, they are classed as the smaller projects.

Well, as £80k went it to the renovation of a 3 bedroomed bungalow I would
call it major.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 19/04/2015 01:07, bm wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Like hell it was.

(someone should tell Ed Milipede
this) and has been funded by DEBT ever since.

All the other government calculations re pensions, debt etc are based on
just 3% annual inflation. See the barclays equity/gilt studies since 1900
for evidence.

QED, the NHS is going to fail,

No it is not. And none of the other equivalents will either.

just like the (Scottish) banks did.

Nothing like the banks in fact.

It's just a matter of time. I predict October 2015.

You'll have egg all over your face very comprehensively indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 07:02:06 +1000, "john james"
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 19/04/15 12:54, Bob Eager wrote:
I used MFP for quite a while and 1600 is both do-able - and works.

I started at 294lb in June and was at 238lb by Christmas. My 'allowance'
was initially 1750 kcal but dropped to 1550 as I lost weight and burned a
bit less.

I'm 262lbs and the best I've managed it to knock 4lbs off.

That is because you haven't scaled back the calories enough.

I'm going to try scaling back the calories a tiny bit

You need to scale them back a lot.

A HECK of a lot! (Sorry, Tim.) Since I dropped 5 kilos my blood
figures have improved enormously, especially the HbA1C.

and watching like
a hawk on MyFatnessPal.

I lost more than 20%, from 70KG down to 55KG just by eating less.

And that is the ONLY way! Within 24 hours of eating less my scales
show a reduction. At the moment I'm trying to stick to 1500 cals a
day, though it's bloody difficult as I really do enjoy food and
cooking it. Hobby of mine. I'm always hungry. But I was always hungry
when I weighed 90 kg at only 168cm and stuffed myself with fast food,
cream cakes, and crisps. Weight down to 76kg now.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 06:14:32 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 19/04/15 22:02, john james wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 19/04/15 12:54, Bob Eager wrote:
I used MFP for quite a while and 1600 is both do-able - and works.

I started at 294lb in June and was at 238lb by Christmas. My 'allowance'
was initially 1750 kcal but dropped to 1550 as I lost weight and
burned a
bit less.

I'm 262lbs and the best I've managed it to knock 4lbs off.

That is because you haven't scaled back the calories enough.

I'm going to try scaling back the calories a tiny bit

You need to scale them back a lot.

Upto a point - I have done that before and the problem is, overdone,
it's unsustainable - then you tend to go back to normal eating and get
fat again really fast,

Don't you just hate people who never put on weight, eat what they like
and are as thin as a rake? I've known a few in my lifetime.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 20:32:30 +0100, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at 56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

I am feeling it now at 44 at work.

At 49 I was the oldest engineer my old boss ever employed. Initially he
refused me due to my age. Then he came back to me.
At 62 I helped out on a major house renovation and got very well paid for
it.
The heartbreaking part was watching guys of your age lifting lintels under
one arm whilst I had to use a wheelbarrow.

Only this morning as I was driving to Screwfix for shopping I said
over and over, how I wish, I wish, I wish I were 40 years younger!
It's a real bugger growing old.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 04:08:59 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

Exercise per se is boring though I enjoy the bike in the good weather.

My exercise bike has become a habit after a year and a half (following
CABG). To begin with, I really had to force myself onto the ruddy
thing each morning (at around 9am). But it gets to be addictive after
a while. If you turn the telly towards you and watch some meaningless
drivel for half an hour, you hardly notice that your pumping the
pedals. So much so that when I can't do it due to feeling a bit under
the weather or on holiday I get kind of withdrawal symptoms, like when
one knows the bathroom needs cleaning, like since the day before
yesterday, and it just keeps niggling till you do it.

But what's the point moaning. My generation is lasting much better than our parents generation. My father died at 56. My mother made it into her seventies but suffered dementia for her last few years.

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week and enjoy what I do.

Ah! I'm retired. I wouldn't work now if you paid me! After 44 years of
grafting I reckon I've had enough of work. Besides, I have so many
hobbies, including DIY, I could never find the time for working. I'm
really enjoying doing what the heck I like when I like without all the
stress of office politics in an environment where I was treated like a
granddad as the oldest staff member. Heck, I was older than my
managers! Mind you, I do miss the pretty young things in reception, a
right eyeful every morning, and cheeky, too. They were as well.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1386375 20150420 142957 tony sayer wrote:
But what's the point moaning. My generation is lasting much better than our
parents generation. My father died at 56. My mother made it into her seventies
but suffered dementia for her last few years.

Very true, and what we tend to forget..

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week and enjoy what I do.

I reckon thats a very good thing if you like what you do and have a
reason to get up in the morning.

Her Majesty is proof of that. 89 today.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:15:52 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

This might be a good time to raise the flag someone else always did -
get your thyroid checked. It turned out my lack of energy wasn't just
old age.

Seconded.

I was in my late Forties when thyroid troubles were picked up in
connection with something else.
I had suffered periods of low energy for decades which I put down to
just being me and accepting that some people can be full of energy and
always have get up and go and I was the opposite.
Never had any ailments that took me near a Doctors surgery from my
20's till my late forties. If the thyroid trouble had been picked up
earlier then I may have got a lot more done rather than coming home
from work and falling asleep for hours.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 April 2015 02:17:21 UTC+1, MM wrote:
Don't you just hate people who never put on weight, eat what they like
and are as thin as a rake? I've known a few in my lifetime.

I was one of those.

Until suddenly my trousers stopped fitting.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You need to scale them back a lot.

A HECK of a lot! (Sorry, Tim.) Since I dropped 5 kilos my blood
figures have improved enormously, especially the HbA1C.

and watching like
a hawk on MyFatnessPal.

I lost more than 20%, from 70KG down to 55KG just by eating less.

And that is the ONLY way! Within 24 hours of eating less my scales
show a reduction. At the moment I'm trying to stick to 1500 cals a
day, though it's bloody difficult as I really do enjoy food and
cooking it. Hobby of mine. I'm always hungry. But I was always hungry
when I weighed 90 kg at only 168cm and stuffed myself with fast food,
cream cakes, and crisps. Weight down to 76kg now.

What sort of calories per day were you on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 02:28:21 +0100, MM wrote:

Ah! I'm retired. I wouldn't work now if you paid me! After 44 years of
grafting I reckon I've had enough of work. Besides, I have so many
hobbies, including DIY, I could never find the time for working.

I'm looking forward to this.

I'm
really enjoying doing what the heck I like when I like without all the
stress of office politics in an environment where I was treated like a
granddad as the oldest staff member. Heck, I was older than my managers!

I'm older than nearly everyone; the problem is the incompetence of
management. What this means is that other people invent silly rules, and
he (being weak) just agrees. It gets really annoying sometimes.

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM writes:
Heck, I was older than my managers!

That starts happening at about age 40 IME, and I think all my managers
since I was that age have been younger than me.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You need to scale them back a lot.

A HECK of a lot! (Sorry, Tim.) Since I dropped 5 kilos my blood figures
have improved enormously, especially the HbA1C.

and watching like
a hawk on MyFatnessPal.

I lost more than 20%, from 70KG down to 55KG just by eating less.

And that is the ONLY way! Within 24 hours of eating less my scales show
a reduction. At the moment I'm trying to stick to 1500 cals a day,
though it's bloody difficult as I really do enjoy food and cooking it.
Hobby of mine. I'm always hungry. But I was always hungry when I
weighed 90 kg at only 168cm and stuffed myself with fast food,
cream cakes, and crisps. Weight down to 76kg now.

What sort of calories per day were you on?

Update, Tim. I have been putting on a bit of weight as I haven't been
sticking to the limits recently (various pains and comfort eating).

For the last week or so I've been on 1600 caloroes and kept to it. Lost
3lb, being careful to weigh under same conditions, same time of day etc.

MyFitnessPal again.

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

The alternative isn't a good option though.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
Don't you just hate people who never put on weight, eat what they like
and are as thin as a rake? I've known a few in my lifetime.

They don't exist. You can't put on weight without food.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/15 10:14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
MM writes:
Heck, I was older than my managers!

That starts happening at about age 40 IME, and I think all my managers
since I was that age have been younger than me.

I'm older than my manager. I find no issue because he's a damn nice
bloke who knows what he's doing technically (slightly different specialism).

Also, because after a couple of goes at it, I HATE managing people so
have no wish to be bothered again. I manage machines and I like it that
way

I suspect he finds it more awkward than I do!