Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

"fred" wrote in message
On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 10:28:08 PM UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I just wonder what the consensus is here as to when you really start to
feel your age when doing the more arduous DIY tasks?
Personally up to age 50 I always felt as physically strong as I was at
25, but since hitting the half-century I'm sure I've lost some strength
by an unquantifiable percentage over the intervening years. And now at
56
I'm finding doing DIY related tasks for a full 8hr day more and more
knackering and ache+pain inducing. I'm just wondering if I'm alone!
Your experience?

I'm quite a lot older than that and I do feel the pace more than I used
to. I'm also a lot more careful about my back, and injuries generally,
because they take a lot longer to mend than when I was younger.

However I feel that "use or lose it" is the watchword and if I'd stopped
as soon as the going got tough I'd be in a lot worse shape by now. DIY
is a good way of keeping active.

Hitting 40 was no problem Ditto hitting 50 but after 60 it starts to hurt

Didn't for me.

and after 70 I get tired much quicker.

Don't find that either.

A little snooze around mid-day helps.

Yes, been doing that for decades now but don't
get any major effect when it isn't possible.

Lifting is no problem but grip in both hands is gone to hell

Haven't had that myself.

and kneeling,

I don't do much of that because I managed to shatter my kneecap
decades ago now and so can't kneel very well after that.

no, getting down to kneel and getting up again, is a real *******.

I don't find that a major problem.

Now I'm very careful where I place things.

I'm not.

Weight is a constant battle.

Not for me. I'm within the ideal BMI range effortlessly.

Only answer is stop eating.

No, just eat less.

Exercise per se is boring

I walk for exercise and listen to podcasts
from our equivalent of the BBC.

though I enjoy the bike in the good weather.

I can't ride anymore because of the kneecap.

But what's the point moaning.

True.

My generation is lasting much better than our parents generation.

That isn't true of mine.

My father died at 56.

Mine managed to last into his 90s and most of my relos on
that side of the family have done too, but not his parents.

My mother made it into her seventies

Mine only lasted until her mid 40s, breast cancer.

but suffered dementia for her last few years.

My dad was a bit strange in the last few years but not full dementia.

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week

I don't.

and enjoy what I do.

I've always been in the fortunate position that people
were stupid enough to pay me well to do what I would
quite happily do for free and have kept doing that and
will do that until I die.