Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

On 25/04/2015 10:40, Rod Speed wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:18:39 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

I personally use self checkouts whenever I can.

The Aldis I frequent don't have them.

More fool Aldi.

No, more fool the other chains.

No need, as the checkouts are faster
anyway than any self-checkout.

You don't frequent Aldis very much do you. The checkout operators are
like lightening. I'm happy to stand in a line there knowing that the
goods on the belt will be placed back in the trolley in a near flash.

Last time at Morrisons, I counted 13 people in my queue and it took 10
minutes just to get to the till. The self-service side was queued well
into an isle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 12:59, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:11:27 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I've grown to like the Aldi/Lidl system too - just take the trolley to
the car, and bag/crate up there.

I do that at all supermarkets, and have done for years. I don't like
being held up by people p***ing about packing - then fumbling for the
means to pay - so wouldn't want others to wait for me either.

Yes, the last bit ****es me off - as it did this morning. Person in front
of me took ages transferring stuff from one bag to another as they packed
it. Then they found their purse was in a different bag. Then they
unzipped their purse and got their Nectar card out. Then they waited for
that to be returned, put it back in their purse. Then they started
searching for their credit card...

I was holding both cards while in the queue (plenty of time to get them
out). And just chucked all the shopping in the trolley.

The quintessential Aldi customer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
I've grown to like the Aldi/Lidl system too - just take the trolley
to the car, and bag/crate up there.

I do that at all supermarkets, and have done for years. I don't like
being held up by people p***ing about packing - then fumbling for the
means to pay - so wouldn't want others to wait for me either.

Yes, the last bit ****es me off - as it did this morning. Person in
front of me took ages transferring stuff from one bag to another as
they packed it. Then they found their purse was in a different bag.
Then they unzipped their purse and got their Nectar card out. Then they
waited for that to be returned, put it back in their purse. Then they
started searching for their credit card...

I was holding both cards while in the queue (plenty of time to get them
out). And just chucked all the shopping in the trolley.

The quintessential Aldi customer!

This was in Sainsburys, mind. Nearest Aldi is Canterbury and I've only
been there (into the twon) about three times in the past two years. It's
8.3 miles and a lot of hassle. There's one in Margate but that's 13.2
miles, and Ramsgate (15 miles). I do drive past the Ramsgate one
sometimes, and pop in.

Next year we get one I can walk to (0.8 miles)!

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
[...]

Pedestrian access is certainly an advantage on Thursdays. Can't get near
ours when the special offers hit the shelves!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
MM wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I personally use self checkouts whenever I can.

The Aldis I frequent don't have them.

More fool Aldi.

No, more fool the other chains.

We'll see...

No need, as the checkouts are faster
anyway than any self-checkout.

You don't frequent Aldis very much do you. The checkout operators are like
lightening.

Self checkouts make a lot more sense because
they are MUCH cheaper to operate and so the
store can charger lower prices even if the customers
aren't as fast as their checkout operators.

Just have more self checkouts so there is always
a free one and you never have to wait.

I'm happy to stand in a line

I don’t want to stand in a line anywhere. I want
to use one of the free self checkouts so I never
have to wait for anyone and with self checkouts
that never involves paying the wages of someone
doing nothing that has to be included in the
price you pay for the goods.

there knowing that the goods on the belt will be placed back in the
trolley in a near flash.

Pity about the inevitable wait in the queue.

What matters is the total time from ready to
checkout to when you are walking to the door.

Last time at Morrisons, I counted 13 people in my queue and it took 10
minutes just to get to the till. The self-service side was queued well
into an isle.

They obviously should have more self checkouts.

It isn't rocket science.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
[...]

There will be a massive car park next to the new one (as well as its own
car park).

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Apr 2015 09:02:37 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Why should other customers have to wait for you to pack your

stuff at
the checkout when you can move it the shelf?

Quite and I expect that actually having to pay comes as a big
surprise and the wallet/purse has to be recovered from the bottom of
a bag full of shopping but which bag? Never the first one, when they
find it they also find some vouchers, some of which might not be
valid, so they check each one and have to ask their partner, Barney,
if they bought the 300 g packet of Wotsits or the 500 as the voucher
(value 5 "points") is for the 300 g, Barney then has to find the
packet of Wotsits to check. Catches eye of check out operator. Yes,
dear? Oh yes, pay, How much? £67.48. Counts out single £10 notes,
runs out at £50. Oh that's a surprise shopping is just *SO* expensive
these days. Barney which card shall I use? Sorry Doris, what was
that? Here is the 500 g packet of Wotsits. Well you'd better go and
swap it then. Off goes Barney, returns a several minuets later but no
300 g bag of Wotsits as there were none on the shelf and he had to
wait for some one to check out the back, none there either. Pay, ah
yes. How much money is in the bank account. Oh I don't know dear, use
the credit card. Extracts credit card and eventually finds slot on
the chip 'n pin reader. PIN, ah yes the PIN, 3 which button is 3?
Barney can you find my glasses, the numbers are so small. Thank you,
now 3 beep, 7 beep, Barney is it 9 or 2 next? Sorry dear? After
the 7, 9 or 2? 9. Thank you, now 9, where is it? I do wish they'd
stop moving the numbers about. Ah there you are beep and 5 beep
at least that one never moves. Takes of glasses, waits. You need to
press enter, Sorry dear? You need to press enter. Oh yes, silly me.
Now which one is enter, Barney have you got my glasses? They're in
your hand, dear. Oh yes, thank you. Enter enter where is it, ah got
you beep. Heres your receipt and you saved £1.73 today. Come along
Barney haven't you packed those bags yet? Here put that in there, no
not there that bag has bleach in it. Right come along, of we go.
Excuse me, don't forget your card. Sorry dear? Your card. Pardon.
Your card, it's still in the machine. Oh yes, so it is thank you.

If you go to Wing Yip in Croydon (well, Waddon ish) they *unload*

your
trolley and *pack* afterwards.

SWMBO moans that most places don't pack it 'her' way.

I *HATE* places that want to pack for you, several reasons. 1) The
packers rarely handle the goods I've just bought carefully. 2) The
goods are just stuffed into a bag with no thought as to how they fit
together and stick into each other when the bag is picked up. 3)
Stuff gets randomly stuffed into various bags, "fridge" stuff is
mixed with "vegetable" is mixed with "dry".

Packing is done with the unpacking back home in mind, stuff goes into
cupboards in at least two different places in the house.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:17:37 +0100, MM wrote:

I don t. I pack the bags as fast as the checkout droid runs them

thru
the checkout.

I don't believe that for one moment.

Well I do but only because decent checkout operators only scan
slightly faster than the stuff is being packed.

Unless your "bag" curiously is as large as, and forms the shape of, a
trolley, maybe!

The only way to keep up with an Aldi check out operator going full
tilt is to hope that the goods have enough momentum to carry them
straight into the trolly. Just picking up and putting randomly and
untidyly into the trolley is slower than the scanning.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Fredxxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
MM wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I personally use self checkouts whenever I can.

The Aldis I frequent don't have them.

More fool Aldi.

No, more fool the other chains.

We'll see...

No need, as the checkouts are faster
anyway than any self-checkout.

You don't frequent Aldis very much do you. The checkout operators are
like lightening.

Self checkouts make a lot more sense because
they are MUCH cheaper to operate and so the
store can charger lower prices even if the customers
aren't as fast as their checkout operators.

Priceless.
LMFAO.

other **** snipped

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:11:27 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I do that at all supermarkets, and have done for years.

The weather isn't so nice up here to do that. Gritters out and about
gritting the roads this evening. B-)

I don't like being held up by people p***ing about packing - then
fumbling for the means to pay - so wouldn't want others to wait for me
either.

Neither do I and if tesco etc had a packing shelf I'd use it. But as
they don't I pack at the checkout. I try to be efficient as possible,
I put stuff on the belt in categories, so all the chilled/frozen is
together, any dry goods together, fruit 'n veg together. My own, semi
rigid, bags are ready to be picked up from the baby seat of the
trolly, cards and vouchers are all checked and ready in a pocket.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:17:37 +0100, MM wrote:

I don t. I pack the bags as fast as the checkout droid runs them

thru
the checkout.

I don't believe that for one moment.

Well I do but only because decent checkout operators only scan
slightly faster than the stuff is being packed.

Unless your "bag" curiously is as large as, and forms the shape of, a
trolley, maybe!

The only way to keep up with an Aldi check out operator going full
tilt is to hope that the goods have enough momentum to carry them
straight into the trolly. Just picking up and putting randomly and
untidyly into the trolley is slower than the scanning.

I'm not convinced. Scanning them has to be a little slower
just because the items do have to go past the scanner even
with the stuff that has multiple barcodes so that the droid
doesn't have to get the orientation right. But it makes more
sense for the droid to just chuck them in the trolley and
the customer can do what they like about packing their
bags out of the trolley, just as long as they don't do that
at the checkout. That can be at their car if its not raining
or somewhere for that in the store if it is raining etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[...]

You're not convinced? LOL
You should've seen them without scanners and they input the cost per item,
from memory.

Wodders, stick to what you know, i.e, bugger all.
Funny though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

RJH wrote:
I've grown to like the Aldi/Lidl system too - just take the trolley to
the car, and bag/crate up there.

I do that at all supermarkets, and have done for years. I don't like
being held up by people p***ing about packing - then fumbling for the
means to pay - so wouldn't want others to wait for me either.

Yes, the last bit ****es me off - as it did this morning. Person in front
of me took ages transferring stuff from one bag to another as they packed
it. Then they found their purse was in a different bag. Then they
unzipped their purse and got their Nectar card out. Then they waited for
that to be returned, put it back in their purse. Then they started
searching for their credit card...

I was holding both cards while in the queue (plenty of time to get them
out). And just chucked all the shopping in the trolley.

I always pay with cash and I always have a tenner or a twenty ready,
tucked into my hand whilst I'm chucking the items into my trolley
(Aldi). I can't stand these people, usually women, who fetch up at the
till, then kind of adopt a puzzled mien when it's time to dig deep for
the purse when it's time to pay. And then they stand there, stuffing
the change back in their purse! Me, I collect any change and move out
of the way.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 25 Apr 2015 17:42:50 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Next year we get one I can walk to (0.8 miles)!

Omigod! That would be heaven for me! I already buy 90% of my weekly
groceries from Aldi and/or Lidl, but I do have to drive to Spalding
(round trip: 15 miles).

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 23:27:06 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:17:37 +0100, MM wrote:

I don t. I pack the bags as fast as the checkout droid runs them

thru
the checkout.

I don't believe that for one moment.

Well I do but only because decent checkout operators only scan
slightly faster than the stuff is being packed.

Unless your "bag" curiously is as large as, and forms the shape of, a
trolley, maybe!

The only way to keep up with an Aldi check out operator going full
tilt is to hope that the goods have enough momentum to carry them
straight into the trolly. Just picking up and putting randomly and
untidyly into the trolley is slower than the scanning.

No, I assist the operator by grabbing each item as she releases it,
then shoving it into the trolley. I'm more careful with some items
like eggs, but most items can withstanding the chucking no probs. It's
rare if I can't keep up with her.

But Rod reckons he packs his *bags* as fast! Yeah? Pull the other one,
Rod!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 00:57:33 +0100, "bm" wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[...]

And they were doing that 40 years ago when I used to shop at Aldi in
Germany when it was still called Albrecht.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 23:18:49 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

Excellent! Truly worthy of a Monty Python prize.

I wonder if there are weird people about who deliberately take ages as
their fun highlight of the week? Like, where shall we go today, dear?
We've been to Sainsbury's already this week, and they got a bit uppity
after 20 minutes, didn't they?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:25:31 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 04:49:52 +0100, MM wrote:

Why should other customers have to wait for you to pack your stuff at
the checkout when you can move it the shelf?

Besides, Aldi at least have been using this method of retailing for
YEARS and customer footfall is increasing, not decreasing.

MM

Though many of those customers who are creating the increased footfall
are not used to that method and the shelves at both Lidl and Aldi seem
to be used less than they once were , the stores in response seem to
be very quick at bringing another till in to use compared with the
longer established stores.

Personally I think the Aldi, Lidl stores have gone past a "sweet spot"
for me. When they first arrived and the stores weren't much more than
dimly lit shelves with cardboard boxes holding products with names and
packaging that were almost counterfeit they were cheap but a bit like
shopping in the third world.
Wasn't long before they brightened up a bit and had good prices and
the fast till service helped by the customers clearing the till and
packing at the shelf and paying cash.
Now they take debit cards and don't have staff encouraging the
customer away from till by sweeping items into the trolley they are
becoming a bit ordinary and though still priced keenly they don't seem
to be bargain they once were .

They are still a darned sight cheaper than the cheapest of the main
supermarkets, though. I'm often amazed when I have a tenner and a
fiver in my hand ready, and she says "£8.96".

OTOH I'm often amazed just how much the bill comes to at Tesco. I do a
quick mental check of what I've bought, but yep, it just costs more at
Tesco. My choice of store, if there weren't any Aldis or Lidls would
be Asda. They're the next cheapest.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:44:35 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

But ours still don't supply everything you need and that makes
no sense whatever. Even with stuff as basic as chutney etc.

Lidl do a very tasty sweet pickle. Dead cheap.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:40:02 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I personally use self checkouts whenever I can.

The Aldis I frequent don't have them.

More fool Aldi.

No need, as the checkouts are faster
anyway than any self-checkout.

BULL****.

No, it's true. You watch self-checkouts and count how many times the
floor staff have to intervene to help the customer. Morrisons'
self-checkouts are a nightmare in the lunch hour. Far quicker to find
a manned checkout. Plus, self-checkouts are not meant for people with
large amounts of shopping.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I never said that. The checkout droid puts
them in the bags as they are scanned.

I use self checkouts whenever I can and put stuff
in the bags as fast as any of the checkout droids do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

But ours still don't supply everything you need and that makes
no sense whatever. Even with stuff as basic as chutney etc.

Lidl do a very tasty sweet pickle. Dead cheap.

Sure but that's no use if you need chutney for the curry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:40:02 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I personally use self checkouts whenever I can.

The Aldis I frequent don't have them.

More fool Aldi.

No need, as the checkouts are faster
anyway than any self-checkout.

BULL****.

No, it's true.

Nope.

You watch self-checkouts and count how many times
the floor staff have to intervene to help the customer.

Almost never happens with mine. Had one the other day because
the item wasn't in the system, but that is very rare indeed.

Morrisons' self-checkouts are a nightmare in the lunch hour.
Far quicker to find a manned checkout.

Must be badly implemented.

Plus, self-checkouts are not meant for
people with large amounts of shopping.

Bull****. They work fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I personally use self checkouts whenever I can.

The Aldis I frequent don't have them.

More fool Aldi.

No, more fool the other chains.

No need, as the checkouts are faster
anyway than any self-checkout.

You don't frequent Aldis very much do you. The checkout operators are
like lightening. I'm happy to stand in a line there knowing that the
goods on the belt will be placed back in the trolley in a near flash.

Last time at Morrisons, I counted 13 people in my queue and it took 10
minutes just to get to the till. The self-service side was queued well
into an isle.

Exactly.

Only because they don't have enough self checkouts, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/15 07:06, MM wrote:
On 25 Apr 2015 17:42:50 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Next year we get one I can walk to (0.8 miles)!

Omigod! That would be heaven for me! I already buy 90% of my weekly
groceries from Aldi and/or Lidl, but I do have to drive to Spalding
(round trip: 15 miles).

MM

I do my weekly shop with Ocado. Leaving only the odd small visit to
other shops. Cuts out a whole reel of pain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/15 07:09, MM wrote:

No, I assist the operator by grabbing each item as she releases it,
then shoving it into the trolley. I'm more careful with some items
like eggs, but most items can withstanding the chucking no probs. It's
rare if I can't keep up with her.

You know, in the *old* days, most of the supermarkets had a divider bar
so that one person's shopping could be cached down the end while they
packed as the next guy's shopping was pushed down the other side of the bar.

So the whole shambles is partly the supermarkets' own fault.

I'm waiting for some insultant to come up with that as a "new efficient
idea" and for Morrisons to run a TV advert claiming they invented it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/15 07:19, MM wrote:

OTOH I'm often amazed just how much the bill comes to at Tesco. I do a
quick mental check of what I've bought, but yep, it just costs more at
Tesco. My choice of store, if there weren't any Aldis or Lidls would
be Asda. They're the next cheapest.

Cheapness on the day is not always everything.

We used to shop with Sainsburys and Tesco. But with kids and a certain
amount of randomness, we found that fresh stuff did not keep very long
and any disruption to the plan (which is often in our house) usually
caused something to go to waste.

Switched to Ocado and did a bill item comparison with our typical
Sainsburys shop and it was pretty much the same price. Waitrose gets
expensive if you slide up to their fancier products but they seem to
make a point of having a whole range price matched with Tesco.

What we found was that it is now possible to do a week's shop and not
end up with 3 items of fresh meat that all expire in the next 2 days
from delivery which seemed to happen rather more often before.

The other good tip is Cravendale milk - you can keep 4 x 1litre bottles
of that in the fridge and the stuff lasts for ages. Even when opened
it's then good for a week - bloody amazing stuff.

So how do you find Asda and Lidl? There was not one near us before but a
new one has opened up... Lidl's still a bit of a hike though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/15 18:36, Bob Eager wrote:

Indeed. I quite like Ryvita (the dark rye one) and it's quite filling.

So do you have any good recipes for breakfast and lunch? Ideally ones
that don't need much prep?

I tried the ryvita with a pack of pate and it was a nice lunch - but 653
based on the smallest pack of pate Sainsburys express at Charing Cross
sold (ie not very small).

I'd have been happy with half the pate on the same number of ryvita - so
looking at Ocado now to see what I can order and maybe divide at home
and take the right size in to start with...

I'm sure there are a few other toppings that could work well too...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2015 09:07, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/04/15 18:36, Bob Eager wrote:

Indeed. I quite like Ryvita (the dark rye one) and it's quite filling.

So do you have any good recipes for breakfast and lunch? Ideally ones
that don't need much prep?

I tried the ryvita with a pack of pate and it was a nice lunch - but 653
based on the smallest pack of pate Sainsburys express at Charing Cross
sold (ie not very small).

I'd have been happy with half the pate on the same number of ryvita - so
looking at Ocado now to see what I can order and maybe divide at home
and take the right size in to start with...

I'm sure there are a few other toppings that could work well too...

The main thing the public have realised over the last 20 years is that
you don't get what you pay for. The quality at "the discounters" (as the
media insists on calling them) is at least as good as the main
supermarkets and IME rather better. Also, I no longer trust Sainsburys
with their complicated pricing. They're trying to trip me up and I
refuse to play their silly games

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
On 25 Apr 2015 17:42:50 GMT, Bob wrote:

Next year we get one I can walk to (0.8 miles)!

Omigod! That would be heaven for me! I already buy 90% of my weekly
groceries from Aldi and/or Lidl, but I do have to drive to Spalding
(round trip: 15 miles).

MM

At anything over 100yards, I take the car!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:11:27 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I do that at all supermarkets, and have done for years.

The weather isn't so nice up here to do that. Gritters out and about
gritting the roads this evening. B-)

I don't like being held up by people p***ing about packing - then
fumbling for the means to pay - so wouldn't want others to wait for me
either.

Neither do I and if tesco etc had a packing shelf I'd use it. But as
they don't I pack at the checkout. I try to be efficient as possible,
I put stuff on the belt in categories, so all the chilled/frozen is
together, any dry goods together, fruit 'n veg together. My own, semi
rigid, bags are ready to be picked up from the baby seat of the
trolly, cards and vouchers are all checked and ready in a pocket.

I always pack at the checkout. If this delays someone else, that's the
fault of the shop for not having enough checkouts working. ie poor service!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

The other good tip is Cravendale milk - you can keep 4 x 1litre bottles
of that in the fridge and the stuff lasts for ages. Even when opened
it's then good for a week - bloody amazing stuff.

Yes, the supermarkets have now managed to convert the customers to
sterilised milk. When you actually get to taste fresh milk, you remember
how milk ought to taste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
MM wrote:
On 25 Apr 2015 17:42:50 GMT, Bob wrote:

Next year we get one I can walk to (0.8 miles)!

Omigod! That would be heaven for me! I already buy 90% of my weekly
groceries from Aldi and/or Lidl, but I do have to drive to Spalding
(round trip: 15 miles).

MM

At anything over 100yards, I take the car!

That is why you waddle everywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 07:19:00 +0100, MM wrote:

Now they take debit cards ...

Both Aldi and Lidl now take credit cards as well. Cash or Debit Card
only was a problem for me as the bank account is balanced each month
in advance against the fixed known costs so the amount of money in
there can be anything from £1,000 plus to a fiver. Pretty much
everything goes onto CC's which are paid off in full the next month
as one of those "fixed costs".

They are still a darned sight cheaper than the cheapest of the main
supermarkets, though. I'm often amazed when I have a tenner and a
fiver in my hand ready, and she says "£8.96".

Aye, when Aldi fairly recently started taking CC's that was a big
factor in how much I bought from them. There is an Aldi bang slap
next to the regulary used Tesco... I've a spreadsheet with 40 odd
items on it with prices for most from Aldi and Tesco, buying one of
each in Aldi adds up to £13 ish, from Tesco £20 ish...

It's also interesting that some items in Tesco have fallen to those
of Aldi in the last month or so and some lines have been dropped.
Tesco don't appear to stock *any* Kingsmill bread products now and
their own brand bread is now only available in "Everyday Value" form.

Tesco are still playing the confusing offers game that I see Which?
has just filed a "super complaint" about. Offers like:

250 g cheese for £2.80 = 1.12 p/g
Buy 2 for £4.00 = 0.80 p/g
550 g cheese for £4.20 = 0.76 p/g

All the same cheese and of course the pence/unit price for the Buy 2
for offer is not shown on the tickets.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:07:31 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 22/04/15 18:36, Bob Eager wrote:

Indeed. I quite like Ryvita (the dark rye one) and it's quite filling.

So do you have any good recipes for breakfast and lunch? Ideally ones
that don't need much prep?

I tried the ryvita with a pack of pate and it was a nice lunch - but 653
based on the smallest pack of pate Sainsburys express at Charing Cross
sold (ie not very small).

I use a quarter of the square Sainsburys pack on four Ryvita. It's still
piled on, not just a smear. But that's at home right now as I'm on
holiday!

I'm sure there are a few other toppings that could work well too...

Sainsbury's low fat cheddar is OK - not marvellous, but good with Marmite
added. Also various cooked meats - just read the pack. I usually have
butter - not a lot of difference between that and the various 'margarine'
things and it makes it much nicer and therefore more attractive.

A really low one is Laughing Cow Light - but not so satisfying.

SWMBO did burgers the other night. My concession was to have two burgers
(quarter pounders) in one bun. Even had chips, but she spoiled it by
serving up onion rings!

Co-Op do some reasonable 'lower fat' sandwiches if I don't have anything
with me.

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:26:28 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 26/04/15 07:09, MM wrote:

No, I assist the operator by grabbing each item as she releases it,
then shoving it into the trolley. I'm more careful with some items like
eggs, but most items can withstanding the chucking no probs. It's rare
if I can't keep up with her.

You know, in the *old* days, most of the supermarkets had a divider bar
so that one person's shopping could be cached down the end while they
packed as the next guy's shopping was pushed down the other side of the
bar.

Needed a wider checkout, so fewer checkouts. Also we tend to have more in
trolleys these days.

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:23:58 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 26/04/15 07:06, MM wrote:
On 25 Apr 2015 17:42:50 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Next year we get one I can walk to (0.8 miles)!

Omigod! That would be heaven for me! I already buy 90% of my weekly
groceries from Aldi and/or Lidl, but I do have to drive to Spalding
(round trip: 15 miles).

MM

I do my weekly shop with Ocado. Leaving only the odd small visit to
other shops. Cuts out a whole reel of pain

We do, mostly. Apart from my lunch stuff and things, as it's easier to
browse and check fat, kcal, etc. in the bricks and mortar place.

But the major stuff (juice, loo rolls, etc.) comes from Costco.

wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/15 10:43, Capitol wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

The other good tip is Cravendale milk - you can keep 4 x 1litre bottles
of that in the fridge and the stuff lasts for ages. Even when opened
it's then good for a week - bloody amazing stuff.

Yes, the supermarkets have now managed to convert the customers to
sterilised milk. When you actually get to taste fresh milk, you remember
how milk ought to taste.

Except that Cravendale is NOT sterilised!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cravendale

It's pasteurised, filtered, needs to be refridgerated and tastes like
any other fresh pasteurised milk to me (perhaps not direct-from-cow but
I've only had that in one period in my life to my knowledge).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:33:35 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Switched to Ocado ...

That's fine if you are in an area that the supermarkets deliver to.
Tesco don't to us but will to the town. I think on Asda and
Sainsburys will deliver to us. But TBH I'd only be happy with
packaged stuff being delivered. Fresh fruit and veg I want to select,
no point in getting half a dozen small very green loose bananas when
what I want is half a dozen ripe large ones... In store I can look
across the whole availability of bananas and get what I want or go to
Aldi or Waitrose both of which are withing 5 mins walking of Tesco.

The other good tip is Cravendale milk - you can keep 4 x 1litre bottles
of that in the fridge and the stuff lasts for ages. Even when opened
it's then good for a week - bloody amazing stuff.

Milk these days doesn't seem to go off anything like as fast as I
remember it doing so as a lad 30/40 years ago. However that's not a
like for like comparison back then it was silver top (full fat,
pasteurised) delivered on the back of an open milk float. We now buy
green top (semi skimmed, pasteurised and homogenised) from the
chilled supermarket cabinet.

--
Cheers
Dave.