Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 07:19:00 +0100, MM wrote:

Now they take debit cards ...

Both Aldi and Lidl now take credit cards as well. Cash or Debit Card
only was a problem for me as the bank account is balanced each month
in advance against the fixed known costs so the amount of money in
there can be anything from £1,000 plus to a fiver. Pretty much
everything goes onto CC's which are paid off in full the next month
as one of those "fixed costs".

They are still a darned sight cheaper than the cheapest of the main
supermarkets, though. I'm often amazed when I have a tenner and a
fiver in my hand ready, and she says "£8.96".

Aye, when Aldi fairly recently started taking CC's that was a big
factor in how much I bought from them. There is an Aldi bang slap
next to the regulary used Tesco... I've a spreadsheet with 40 odd
items on it with prices for most from Aldi and Tesco, buying one of
each in Aldi adds up to £13 ish, from Tesco £20 ish...

It's also interesting that some items in Tesco have fallen to those
of Aldi in the last month or so and some lines have been dropped.
Tesco don't appear to stock *any* Kingsmill bread products now and
their own brand bread is now only available in "Everyday Value" form.

Tesco are still playing the confusing offers game that I see Which?
has just filed a "super complaint" about. Offers like:

250 g cheese for £2.80 = 1.12 p/g
Buy 2 for £4.00 = 0.80 p/g
550 g cheese for £4.20 = 0.76 p/g

All the same cheese and of course the pence/unit price for the Buy 2
for offer is not shown on the tickets.

--
Cheers
Dave.