Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aches and pains

Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

I think they call it Florida.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

Hi,
Pain comes from inflammation. There are foods which can increase pain
level. You shouldn't touch alcoholic drinks with those drugs. They are
hard on your stomach and known to cause bone loss possibly leading to
Osteoporosis used long term.. Worth trying Curamin by Terry Naturally.
You can get the info. on the 'net. Pretty powerful stuff matching the
strength of Celebrex.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 2, 8:40*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

This is a home repair newsgroup. Why don't you check in at Web.MD and
look for help? Or schedule an appointment with your family physician.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

This may be more than you want ... And you didn't say what kind of pain.

Acetaminophen is in a class by itself. It's not really known how it
works.

NSAIDS all work by inhibiting cyclooxygenase enzymes, of which there are
2 kinds - COX-1 and COX-2.

COX-1 is irreversibly killed by aspirin. Your cells need to make new
protein COX-1 to get its products again. That's why low-dose aspirin
prevents platelet aggregation and in doing so reduces the risk of heart
attacks and strokes, which are in part associated with thromboxane
formation, mainly from COX-1.
There has been a lot of talk in the literature of "aspirin resistance",
but now there are only 3 known kinds of aspirin-resistance: 1) Failure
to take the aspirin (i.e. patients forgot they didn't take the pills or
they lied about it). 2) There is an absorption problem in the upper
intestines (this is rare). 3) There is a systemic problem whereby
platelet turnover is greatly increased (normally platelets live ~6 days,
then die). Other cells can make the same things that platelets make in
great abundance, so sometimes they take over and cause problems.

Most other NSAIDS are reversible inhibitors of the COX's with different
affinities for either one. That means 2 things. A) COX-2 is associated
with making products that are good for you (e.g. prostacyclin inhibits
platelets). So inhibiting COX-2 more than COX-1 may not be so good. It
is thought that COX-2 inhibition was part of the problem with Vioxx, but
in my expert and not humble opinion this doesn't explain everything about
Vioxx. B) If you take ibuprofen (an example of a reversible COX
inhibitor) for pain, then take aspirin for your heart, you may be doing
things wrong. To help against heart disease, you should be taking
aspirin 1 hour before ibuprofen and let more than 6 hours pass after
taking ibuprofen before taking aspirin. That's because you need to let
the ibuprofen get flushed out of your system sothe COX molecule is free
of it, because if the ibuprofen is sitting on the protein when aspirin
needs to get there, the aspirin will just pass by without doing anything.

NOTE that the above is for getting effective against heart disease, not
effective against pain. Aspirin needs much bigger doses against pain as
against heart problems.

When I had a lot of pain (the chronic kind) I got a prescription for
Ultracet http://www.drugs.com/ultracet.html. That helped me. It is a
step below the real opioids ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is that prescription?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

I think they call it Florida.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One friend of mine mentioned tomatos. Says they make his
inflamation worse. Hmm. I do eat pizza with tomato sauce,
and spaghetti. Makes me wonder if that's part of my aches
and pains?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

True, I did forget the OT. Hard to repair the home when I'm
aching. Sorry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message

This is a home repair newsgroup. Why don't you check in at
Web.MD and
look for help? Or schedule an appointment with your family
physician.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have to change my sig box to Cheech and Chong Young.
Hmm. That could work. Fight hangovers, stay drunk!

"Chong Young oriental repairs! We arrive stoned, so you
don't hvae to."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote
in message

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

medical marijuana

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

Pain from what?

I have a troublesome spine. Steroid injections every 12-18 months keeps the
lumbar area comfy, daily meloxicam works for the neck. The latter probably
helps with various other minor aches and pains as well as it is an
anti-inflamatory. I use it with a low dose of Baclofen which is a muscle
relaxant.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seems to be mostly lower back pain. I wonder, now. My
computer chair has several wooden rods that go up the back,
and I wonder if I need to add some padding, the rods push me
in the back.

That's very informative, below. Thanks. A bit TMI, but
that's OK now and again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Han" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in
:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 9:40*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

All part of God's mysterious plan to punish snip-averse top posters
who use Usenet as their personal "social media".
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

Opana. $17 for 60 10 mg.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 9:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

Aspirin, because it has been around for so long, and because it has
always been a non-prescription medication, doesn't get much respect in
the lay community. And, if doctors advise patients to use it, they are
likely to hear, "I waited 2 weeks to see you, I have to pay a co-pay,
and all you tell me is take aspirin?" However, it is an excellent pain
reliever and in most studies, no less strong a pain reliever than any of
the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds.

Chances are good (but not certain) that if you don't have medical
contra-indications for using ibuprophen and naproxyn, you don't have
medical contra-indications for using aspirin. If you don't, you may be
surprised how effective 650mg of aspirin 3-4x/day can be in relieving
pain. Don't give up if you are unimpressed after the first 1 or 2
doses. It takes a few days for the blood level of aspirin to max out at
a therapeutically effective steady state level, which is higher than you
achieve during the first day or so of treatment.

Obviously, without knowing your full medical history and status, it may
be medically wrong for you. Consult your family MD first if you are not
sure. If you do try it, try to take the doses either with or soon after
a meal - or at least a snack - and avoid caffeine and alcohol - both of
which greatly increase the risk of serious stomach irritation, ulcers,
gastro-intestinal bleeding, etc. Consult the web or package insert and
be aware of the side effects that signal a need to immediately stop
taking aspirin - excessive blood levels can do more than just affect
your stomach.

Acetaminophen is only a mild analgesic (pain reliever) and has no
anti-inflammatory effect. It works for mild pain in some people, and is
entirely ineffective in some. It also has a very small margin of safety
between maximal safe dose and dangerously toxic dose. Probably should
really be by prescription only, or removed from the market entirely.
Hope you feel better. Distract yourself by reading some Paul Krugman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're right, I hadn't really given a lot of thought to
aspirin. Have to try that, see if it helps.

I've also heard of lots of problems with Tylenol (R).

Might part of my problem is my computer chair digs me in the
back. I've put on some padding, see if that helps. Thanks
for the common sense wisdom.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

gpsman wrote:

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

All part of God's mysterious plan to punish snip-averse top
posters who use Usenet as their personal "social media".

And I say Amen to that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 9:54 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

Hi,
Pain comes from inflammation. There are foods which can increase pain
level. You shouldn't touch alcoholic drinks with those drugs. They are
hard on your stomach and known to cause bone loss possibly leading to
Osteoporosis used long term.. Worth trying Curamin by Terry Naturally.
You can get the info. on the 'net. Pretty powerful stuff matching the
strength of Celebrex.

Too much acetaminophen can harm the liver, especially for those who
drink a lot. That is NOT a reason to not use acet., as it is considered
by a lot of docs to be good for sore backs because it has some muscle
relaxing properties. I worked in workers comp. case management for
quite a while, and dealt with lots of back problems. A session with a
good doc (who does more than hand out prescriptions) is a good place to
start. Being out of shape/obese is part of most back
problems...swimming and bicycling are good, low impact activities to
help strengthen backs. Avoid sitting or standing continuously for long
periods. Have a good firm mattress. I've hurt my back a couple of
times, seriously enough to be in bed a while...anti. inflam., heat, rest
were the cures for me. Surgery or injections would be my last choice,
after I'd tried everything else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One friend of mine mentioned tomatos. Says they make his
inflamation worse. Hmm. I do eat pizza with tomato sauce,
and spaghetti. Makes me wonder if that's part of my aches
and pains?

Hi,
Sure thing. Tomato is acidic. Dairy, red meat, orange(not lemon)
beer, wine, etc. You really ought to try Curamin. I have a guy, a
plumber who hurt his back years ago. He was on Celebrex for many years
and now he takes Curamin instead. No side effect = He feels much better.
It's a fact in his case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One friend of mine mentioned tomatos. Says they make his
inflamation worse. Hmm. I do eat pizza with tomato sauce,
and spaghetti. Makes me wonder if that's part of my aches
and pains?

I know one younger woman who was developing arthritus problems. Eliminating
tomatoes and a few other related foods eliminated the problem for her. Certain
foods can cause problems for some people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:16:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You're right, I hadn't really given a lot of thought to
aspirin. Have to try that, see if it helps.

I've also heard of lots of problems with Tylenol (R).

Might part of my problem is my computer chair digs me in the
back. I've put on some padding, see if that helps. Thanks
for the common sense wisdom.

Be careful with any of these drugs.
My dad has stage 4 kidney failure, and his doc said it's probably due
to massive doses of some painkiller he took 15 years ago for a
compressed disk.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You're right, I hadn't really given a lot of thought to
aspirin. Have to try that, see if it helps.

I don't take it much (other than 325mg/day for the heart) but I like aspirin
for headaches and some pain. It's great for fever and such.

I've also heard of lots of problems with Tylenol (R).

Acetominifin. Avoid it like the plague. Doesn't do anything for me anyway.

Ibuprofin works much better as an NSAID but it too is dangerous in large
doses. I take it very sparingly but when my feet or knees act up, I'll grab
it.

I "twanged" a tendon in my wrist last week (clamping pocket hole clamp in an
awkward position). The doctor at the Doc-in-the-box put me on Tramadol. Took
three and decided I preferred the pain. He wouldn't put me on an NSAID because
my BP spiked. The regular doc put me on a low-dose NSAID. Works *great*. The
swelling went down within a couple of hours and the constant pain is gone
(still can't move the wrist - the brace makes it harder, too).

Might part of my problem is my computer chair digs me in the
back. I've put on some padding, see if that helps. Thanks
for the common sense wisdom.

Get a better chair. Cheaping out on a chair that's used for any time is
foolish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 1:40*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Pray to your god.
If there is no reply,
either
He doesn't loveyou.
He doesn't care.
He can't do anything
He doesn't exist.

I tend to the latter view.
I can only offer my sympathy as I have zero knowledge in this area.
It must be tough in hard hearted America to have a chronic illness.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Tony Hwang wrote in :

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One friend of mine mentioned tomatos. Says they make his
inflamation worse. Hmm. I do eat pizza with tomato sauce,
and spaghetti. Makes me wonder if that's part of my aches
and pains?

Hi,
Sure thing. Tomato is acidic. Dairy, red meat, orange(not lemon)
beer, wine, etc. You really ought to try Curamin. I have a guy, a
plumber who hurt his back years ago. He was on Celebrex for many years
and now he takes Curamin instead. No side effect = He feels much better.
It's a fact in his case.

Careful now. Curcumin is in part also a COX inhibitor, therefore an NSAID.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Seems to be mostly lower back pain. I wonder, now. My
computer chair has several wooden rods that go up the back,
and I wonder if I need to add some padding, the rods push me
in the back.

Maybe but I kinda doubt it. Much depends on your age and how other joints
feel. As we get older, most people seem to develop some arthritis. If it
is in your spine, you can get a variety of kinds of pain, not necessarily in
your back. When mine first started acting up I thought I had a mild kidney
infection as that was where it hurt. Not so, as tests showed. If it
persists, you really need to talk to your doc and figure out what is causing
it. If it is spinal stenosis, an MRI - AKA "Adventures in Claustrophobia" -
will show it.

BTW, I used Aleve for my back for about a year. When my back started
constantly feeling as if the Jolly Green Giant had whacked me across the
back with a baseball bat I gave up and went for the epidural steroid shots.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You make a lot of sense. Takes as little medicine as
possible. I'll be looking for a better chair. This one was
free to me, when my grand mother died, years ago. I'm
guessing she won't mind if I find one that eases my back
pains.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Aleve (naproxen) is a fairly strong NSAID that falls in the category that
inhibits COX-2 somewhat too muc (IMNSHO). It's a balance between backpain
and heart/stroke risk ...

I've had and still have back pains or sciatica occasionally. The very best
remedy is exercising the muscles that hold your spine together. That
includes belly of course. I should do my exercising much more
conscientiously. Physical therapy and chiropractic, or a supervised
exercise regimen in a gym are highly recommended!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

wrote:

You're right, I hadn't really given a lot of thought to
aspirin. Have to try that, see if it helps.

I don't take it much (other than 325mg/day for the heart) but I like
aspirin for headaches and some pain. It's great for fever and such.

325 mg/day is NOT the recommended dose for the heart. The officially
recommended dose is 85 mg/day. I participated as a coauthor in a Spanish
study where the doctors in charge used European dosages. We found that
100 mg twice a day was really best, especially in combination with a
single 500 mg dose every 2 weeks.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lab.2005.12.005
Translate for US: half a tablet of 325 mg twice a day and 2 full 325 mg
tablets every other weekend.

There are tests to see whether the aspirin you're taking is effective,
but that takes 1 1/2 oz of blood and several hours of a technician's
time.

I've also heard of lots of problems with Tylenol (R).

Acetominifin. Avoid it like the plague. Doesn't do anything for me
anyway.

Acetaminophen is a very good medication, but high doses over a long time
kill the liver.

Ibuprofin works much better as an NSAID but it too is dangerous in
large doses. I take it very sparingly but when my feet or knees act
up, I'll grab it.

Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) is another good medication, with the proviso of
all non-aspirin NSAIDs - they may enhance the risk of heart attacks or
strokes.

I "twanged" a tendon in my wrist last week (clamping pocket hole clamp
in an awkward position). The doctor at the Doc-in-the-box put me on
Tramadol. Took three and decided I preferred the pain. He wouldn't put
me on an NSAID because my BP spiked. The regular doc put me on a
low-dose NSAID. Works *great*. The swelling went down within a couple
of hours and the constant pain is gone (still can't move the wrist -
the brace makes it harder, too).

Tramadol in combination with acetaminophen (called Ultracet) is very good
for long term treatment of muscle pain etc. But it is a kissing cousin
of opioids ... I had no problem getting off of it when my pains
subsided, and it made me functional and painfree when I needed it. I
never had side effects from it.

Might part of my problem is my computer chair digs me in the
back. I've put on some padding, see if that helps. Thanks
for the common sense wisdom.

Get a better chair. Cheaping out on a chair that's used for any time
is foolish.

A good chair and frequently getting up is VERY important if posture is
the cause. So is exercising your back as well as the rest of your body.

I am NOT a physician, and these are my personal opinions. Don't rely on
them, but DO talk to your doctor!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:14:44 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One friend of mine mentioned tomatos. Says they make his
inflamation worse. Hmm. I do eat pizza with tomato sauce,
and spaghetti. Makes me wonder if that's part of my aches
and pains?

I know one younger woman who was developing arthritus problems. Eliminating
tomatoes and a few other related foods eliminated the problem for her. Certain
foods can cause problems for some people.

Anything in the nightshade family can be an instigator if inflammitory
pain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 Nov 2011 21:34:50 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

You're right, I hadn't really given a lot of thought to
aspirin. Have to try that, see if it helps.

I don't take it much (other than 325mg/day for the heart) but I like
aspirin for headaches and some pain. It's great for fever and such.

325 mg/day is NOT the recommended dose for the heart.

*AFTER* you convince my cardiologist, maybe I'll listen to you. He said the
"low-dose" tablets are good for people who have had no cardiac history but
everyone he sees goes on 325mg, as long as their stomach can take it. Asperin
has never bothered me, even when I've used major doses (two every four, for
weeks).

The officially
recommended dose is 85 mg/day. I participated as a coauthor in a Spanish
study where the doctors in charge used European dosages. We found that
100 mg twice a day was really best, especially in combination with a
single 500 mg dose every 2 weeks.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lab.2005.12.005
Translate for US: half a tablet of 325 mg twice a day and 2 full 325 mg
tablets every other weekend.

There are tests to see whether the aspirin you're taking is effective,
but that takes 1 1/2 oz of blood and several hours of a technician's
time.

Not worth the $$.

I've also heard of lots of problems with Tylenol (R).

Acetominifin. Avoid it like the plague. Doesn't do anything for me
anyway.

Acetaminophen is a very good medication, but high doses over a long time
kill the liver.

High doses over a short time kill liver. The liver doesn't metabolize much
more than the normal dosage before it starts eating itself. Like I said, it
does nothing for me, so I avoid it totally.

Ibuprofin works much better as an NSAID but it too is dangerous in
large doses. I take it very sparingly but when my feet or knees act
up, I'll grab it.

Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) is another good medication, with the proviso of
all non-aspirin NSAIDs - they may enhance the risk of heart attacks or
strokes.

There aren't many drugs that aren't two-edged swords. Unlike Acetaminophen,
Ibuprophen does work for me. I take it when my knees and feet cramp my style.
I rarely take it for more than a couple of days, though. When I'm feeling
good enough to forget to take it, I don't. ;-)

I "twanged" a tendon in my wrist last week (clamping pocket hole clamp
in an awkward position). The doctor at the Doc-in-the-box put me on
Tramadol. Took three and decided I preferred the pain. He wouldn't put
me on an NSAID because my BP spiked. The regular doc put me on a
low-dose NSAID. Works *great*. The swelling went down within a couple
of hours and the constant pain is gone (still can't move the wrist -
the brace makes it harder, too).

Tramadol in combination with acetaminophen (called Ultracet) is very good
for long term treatment of muscle pain etc. But it is a kissing cousin
of opioids ... I had no problem getting off of it when my pains
subsided, and it made me functional and painfree when I needed it. I
never had side effects from it.

It may have been coincidental, but I did *not* like the side effects. Scared
the crap out of me for a little while. No more of that! I don't like many
such pain-killers and try *very* hard to use them only when the pain is worse
than the side effects. The only one I've used in the past few years that I
didn't have a problem with is Hydrocodone. I only took it for a day or two
(of a week's prescription) before I could stand the pain enough to drop it.

Might part of my problem is my computer chair digs me in the
back. I've put on some padding, see if that helps. Thanks
for the common sense wisdom.

Get a better chair. Cheaping out on a chair that's used for any time
is foolish.

A good chair and frequently getting up is VERY important if posture is
the cause. So is exercising your back as well as the rest of your body.

Agreed. Posture is the key. A chair can make or break posture.

I am NOT a physician, and these are my personal opinions. Don't rely on
them, but DO talk to your doctor!!

Come on! The is the Internet. Believe *EVERYTHING* you find here!

Posted to alt.home.repair

m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Coping works a little, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote

Aleve (naproxen) is a fairly strong NSAID that falls in the category that
inhibits COX-2 somewhat too muc (IMNSHO). It's a balance between backpain
and heart/stroke risk ...

I've had and still have back pains or sciatica occasionally. The very
best
remedy is exercising the muscles that hold your spine together. That
includes belly of course. I should do my exercising much more
conscientiously. Physical therapy and chiropractic, or a supervised
exercise regimen in a gym are highly recommended!

--
Best regards
Han

Work helps, too.

I broke my back July 4, 2008. L1 compression fracture that made me 1/2"
shorter. I am highly active. I am 5' 10", and weigh 180. Today, I did
some welding on a trailer for a friend of mine. I grabbed the 80# piece of
steel off his truck, and he told me to stop, and he'd do everything. I said
if I stopped, I would never get restarted again, and he would HAVE to do
everything. At the end of the day, stopping is the worst thing. If I keep
moving, that hurts less than sitting down and letting it catch up to me.
There are things I can't do, and I do draw a line sometimes, but people who
know me are quite amazed at what I do. On a ranch, there aren't any days
off, or other people to put your work on to.

Besides my back, I have had two shoulder operations, knee operation, and
degenerative cervical bone disease.

Pain is a bother, but it won't kill you. Even kidney stones. (Had them
twice.) You wish you would die, but are afraid you won't.

Pain meds are only a problem if you take them to change your mood, not help
with the pain.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

And a one size fits all across the board doesn't work. There are lots of
people who have either blood or clotting disorders/conditions that have to
be very careful. For them to take unknown things on the advice of "It works
for me", or "It worked for a lot of my friends" is dangerous.

YOUR LAST SENTENCE IS OUTSTANDING, SIR! KUDOS! And talk to your doctor
BEFORE YOU TAKE THE FIRST PILL/WHATEVER.

What works for someone else can very easily kill you. And watch out for
those snakeoil vitamin salesmen, too. Multi-level marketing is the second
largest industry in my state, Utah, only second to tourism. Vitamin and
juice and supplement salesmen are as plenty as stars in the western sky.

Steve, 9+ years on coumadin now, and knows a little bit about the subject.
(For blood clotting after artificial valve heart surgery.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

wrote:

You're right, I hadn't really given a lot of thought to
aspirin. Have to try that, see if it helps.

I don't take it much (other than 325mg/day for the heart) but I like
aspirin for headaches and some pain. It's great for fever and such.

325 mg/day is NOT the recommended dose for the heart.

*AFTER* you convince my cardiologist, maybe I'll listen to you. He
said the "low-dose" tablets are good for people who have had no
cardiac history but everyone he sees goes on 325mg, as long as their
stomach can take it. Asperin has never bothered me, even when I've
used major doses (two every four, for weeks).

As I indicated below, I have been working in the field, and know some of
the real big ones. Whether they really know me is another thing. Be
that as it may, I partially agree with you, because I was on 85 mg/day
and did that test on my blood (as a control, mind you!). My platelets
reacted a bit to a high dose of arachidonic acid, which they shouldn't
have if the 85 mg had been enough. So now I take 1 tab of 325 mg
(uncoated, because that gets absorbed faster) 3 mornings a week. SO far
so good.

The officially
recommended dose is 85 mg/day. I participated as a coauthor in a
Spanish study where the doctors in charge used European dosages. We
found that 100 mg twice a day was really best, especially in
combination with a single 500 mg dose every 2 weeks.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lab.2005.12.005
Translate for US: half a tablet of 325 mg twice a day and 2 full 325
mg tablets every other weekend.

There are tests to see whether the aspirin you're taking is effective,
but that takes 1 1/2 oz of blood and several hours of a technician's
time.

Not worth the $$.

I'm retired now, but was doing the work before we had the techs.

[...]

Good thinking!!

[...]

It's good that not all people are the same, but it does make it difficult
to decide on medications at times. I'm sorry for you that you had to go
to those big time opioids.

Might part of my problem is my computer chair digs me in the
back. I've put on some padding, see if that helps. Thanks
for the common sense wisdom.

Get a better chair. Cheaping out on a chair that's used for any
time is foolish.

A good chair and frequently getting up is VERY important if posture is
the cause. So is exercising your back as well as the rest of your
body.

Agreed. Posture is the key. A chair can make or break posture.

I am NOT a physician, and these are my personal opinions. Don't rely
on them, but DO talk to your doctor!!

Come on! The is the Internet. Believe *EVERYTHING* you find here!

Yes, I know, but sometimes I like my pontifications to hide behind an
excuse.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that sounds like the voice of experience. Glad I'm not
to that stage, yet.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll admit, I've never heard of that. Is it Rx?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

Voltaren (diclofenac) works for me (arthritis)
A generic is also pretty cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Warfarin (tradename of coumadin) has a long and colorful history, and in
my opinion is a very tough medication to adjust the dosage of. My former
boss is a big time hematologist and got on warfarin/coumadin because of
his heart, and I had to listen to his INR going off too many times. I
retired and don't have to listen any more.

Warfarin is named after the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, because
U Wisconsin scientists finally listened to the complaints of farmers
whose cattle were bleeding to death after eating moldy sweet clover. See
the history section of the wikipedia entry for the story.

Warfarin is a vitamin K antagonist. Vit K is necessary for a protein
modification that puts extra carboxyl groups on a number of proteins that
are clotting factors. Those extra COOH groups function to "anchor" those
proteins to cell membranes, where their close proximity enhamces
enzymatic activity many thousands of times. Preventing the process makes
it more difficult for blood to clot, and thereby prevents heart attacks.
Obviously if you go too far in this process you will bleed more or less
spontaneously, which is very bad too, especially in the brain.

The problems with dosing are complicated by the variable amounts of vit K
in foods, especially cabbages (broccoli) and dark leafy veggies. It's a
very delicate balancing act, and when you get older it gets worse.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04 Nov 2011 01:30:40 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I hope you don't think it weird that I prefer to follow my doctor's
recommendation. I take the coated, primarily, well, because.

The officially
recommended dose is 85 mg/day. I participated as a coauthor in a
Spanish study where the doctors in charge used European dosages. We
found that 100 mg twice a day was really best, especially in
combination with a single 500 mg dose every 2 weeks.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lab.2005.12.005
Translate for US: half a tablet of 325 mg twice a day and 2 full 325
mg tablets every other weekend.

There are tests to see whether the aspirin you're taking is effective,
but that takes 1 1/2 oz of blood and several hours of a technician's
time.

Not worth the $$.

I'm retired now, but was doing the work before we had the techs.

I meant as a general test. As long as the aspirin is handled well, a little
over the top won't hurt.

[...]

The interaction between the cardiac uses of aspirin and Ibuprophen are
interesting, too. FWIG, one takes the aspirin first, followed a half-hour
later (longer for coated) by Ibuprophen. This gives the blood a chance to
soak up the aspirin before the IB. A half hour later I've usually forgotten
about taking the IB anyway. ;-)

[...]

I've only been on Hydrocodone once and that was for at most two days. I don't
like any of that stuff and I would usually rather deal with pain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Pain meds are only a problem if you take them to change your mood, not help
with the pain.

Steve

Pain meds can be a sort of a trap, by making people less active, gain
weight and actually make back problems worse. I don't argue that some
problems require strong meds for adequate relief. And a lot of "back
pain" is only an excuse to feed an addiction - have seen it working in
case management and in drug detox. In a detox center, it wasn't unusual
to hear folks discover they had back pain or arthritis once they quit
using drugs and alcohol )