Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

Huge wrote:
On 2015-04-27, wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articlegq6dndMryKiNLqHInZ2dnUVZ8rGdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
The other good tip is Cravendale milk - you can keep 4 x 1litre bottles
of that in the fridge and the stuff lasts for ages. Even when opened
it's then good for a week - bloody amazing stuff.

Yes, the supermarkets have now managed to convert the customers to
sterilised milk. When you actually get to taste fresh milk, you remember
how milk ought to taste.

I'd guess you've never tasted sterilised milk. Otherwise you'd know the
norm is pasteurised - a very different thing.

Another subject you need educating about Dave? Your ignorance amazes me.

Cravendale is not sterilised.

And as Dave says, sterilised milk tastes completely different from pasteurised.

So you're the ignoramus.

Sterilisation is a step beyond pasteurisation. If you increase the
pasteurisation time/temperature, you get closer to sterilisation.
Currently supplied supermarket milk is both homegenised and with an
extended pasteurisation time/temp[erature. The result is milk which is
closer to a traditional sterilised milk. Who's ignorant now?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2015 22:35, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 26/04/2015 08:03, Rod Speed wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:21:43 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 25/04/2015 10:40, Rod Speed wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:18:39 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

I personally use self checkouts whenever I can.

The Aldis I frequent don't have them.

More fool Aldi.

No, more fool the other chains.

No need, as the checkouts are faster
anyway than any self-checkout.

You don't frequent Aldis very much do you. The checkout operators are
like lightening. I'm happy to stand in a line there knowing that the
goods on the belt will be placed back in the trolley in a near flash.

Last time at Morrisons, I counted 13 people in my queue and it took 10
minutes just to get to the till. The self-service side was queued
well
into an isle.

Exactly.

Only because they don't have enough self checkouts, stupid.

You're missing the point.

Nope.

An Aldi checkout operator can outperform by a factor of 2 or 3 those
at other grocers.

I don’t believe that. Yes, they are faster but not that much faster.

You have that prerogative, even if you're wrong!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Sterilisation is a step beyond pasteurisation. If you increase the
pasteurisation time/temperature, you get closer to sterilisation.
Currently supplied supermarket milk is both homegenised and with an
extended pasteurisation time/temp[erature. The result is milk which is
closer to a traditional sterilised milk. Who's ignorant now?

If you think it is anywhere close to traditional sterilised milk you need
to see a doctor about your lack of taste buds.

--
*What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You.

And Cravendale is nasty. Not as nasty as UHT, but still not good
drinking milk IMO, and I drink quite a lot.

Microfiltration is very popular in Europe too - I'm getting better at
spotting the small print on milk now. OTOH you can also sometimes get
untreated, which is a special treat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:39:42 +0100, Chris French wrote:

I don't think the intention is to replace their own brands with the
branded stuff sio much. Tesco White and Wholemeal sliced bread sells
for 40p (in our local Tesco express anyway)

Tesco wholemeal (75p/800g loaf) has gradually become like hens teeth
up here in the last few months. First it would be two or even three
empty crates, then back in the following week and for a few weeks but
by the end only two crates. Then it would disappear completely come
back but only a single crate. These days it's rarely even an empty
crate, even the "Stay Fresh" has gone. The "Everyday Value" is still
about.

Maybe we are too far from the bakery and dropping the price to Aldi
levels means it loses money?

For my money LIDL 40p. bread is slightly better than Aldi's, and I
don't even consider the idea of buying elsewhere.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/15 02:12, Clive George wrote:

And Cravendale is nasty. Not as nasty as UHT, but still not good
drinking milk IMO, and I drink quite a lot.

Microfiltration is very popular in Europe too - I'm getting better at
spotting the small print on milk now. OTOH you can also sometimes get
untreated, which is a special treat.

Must admit I cannot tell the difference and I value it's longer life....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 06:26:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

MM wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, some fools still use cash.

That's because it's quicker than cards.

Like hell it is than the most recent tap&pay cards
where you don't even need to enter a PIN, just
tap the card on the terminal. And with the best
of the checkouts, you can do that while the stuff
is still being scanned, don't need to wait until
the total value is known.

Not much point to your argument when nobody uses such cards. They may
do in very big conurbations like London, but not in most of Britain.
It'll probably happen eventually, but right now, cash is quicker. Just
the wait while the card issuer verifies the card, then the customer
inputting his PIN takes longer than simply handing over a tenner and
getting the change.

No farting around with the change or counting
what the droid gets handed either.

Sure, there are a few people, usually women, who count out the exact
amount, but most people paying in cash will hand over a tenner or a
twenty. Or maybe a couple of pound coins.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

Oh yes they are! They see it as a kind of battle which they always
win.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, some fools still use cash.

That's because it's quicker than cards.

Like hell it is than the most recent tap&pay cards
where you don't even need to enter a PIN, just
tap the card on the terminal. And with the best
of the checkouts, you can do that while the stuff
is still being scanned, don't need to wait until
the total value is known.

Not much point to your argument when nobody uses such cards. They may
do in very big conurbations like London, but not in most of Britain.
It'll probably happen eventually, but right now, cash is quicker. Just
the wait while the card issuer verifies the card, then the customer
inputting his PIN takes longer than simply handing over a tenner and
getting the change.

The whole point of the "tap & pay" cards is that you don't need a PIN. And
I've certainly used mine outside London.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 00:37:16 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sterilisation is a step beyond pasteurisation. If you increase the

pasteurisation time/temperature, you get closer to sterilisation.
Currently supplied supermarket milk is both homegenised and with

an
extended pasteurisation time/temp[erature. The result is milk

which is
closer to a traditional sterilised milk. Who's ignorant now?

If you think it is anywhere close to traditional sterilised milk you
need to see a doctor about your lack of taste buds.

+1

Haven't seen proper sterilised milk for years. As I said before foul
stuff, came in bottles with a crown cork. I don't think Capitol has
ever tried real sterilised milk, even UHT is drinkable by comparison.
B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote
Rod Speed wrote
MM wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, some fools still use cash.

That's because it's quicker than cards.

Like hell it is than the most recent tap&pay cards
where you don't even need to enter a PIN, just
tap the card on the terminal. And with the best
of the checkouts, you can do that while the stuff
is still being scanned, don't need to wait until
the total value is known.

Not much point to your argument when nobody uses such cards.

Everyone does here.

They may do in very big conurbations like London, but not in most of
Britain.

I don't believe that.

It'll probably happen eventually,

It has now.

but right now, cash is quicker.

Nope, particularly when the system is well designed so that
you can do what needs to be done with the chip and PIN
cards while the goods are being scanned so that there is
nothing for the customer to do when the scanning is finished.

With cash, that is the first time the total is known, so cash
inevitably is slower even when the customer does have a
note in their hand that is guaranteed to be enough to
cover the total because the droid still has to make change.

Just the wait while the card issuer verifies the card,
then the customer inputting his PIN takes longer than
simply handing over a tenner and getting the change.

Not when the system has been designed properly
so you can do what you need to do with the card
while the stuff is still being scanned.

No farting around with the change or counting
what the droid gets handed either.

Sure, there are a few people, usually women, who count out
the exact amount, but most people paying in cash will hand
over a tenner or a twenty. Or maybe a couple of pound coins.

Still takes longer to make the change than to do nothing
with a well designed system that allows what needs to be
done with the card to be done while the droid is still scanning
the items.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Oh yes they are!

Oh no they aren't.

They see it as a kind of battle which they always win.

Sure, but that only means that they are faster, NOT 2 OR 3 TIMES FASTER.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:19:26 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

My mother occasionally bought it in emergencies, and it was vile. UHT is
sort of OK, but I don't like it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/04/15 02:12, Clive George wrote:

And Cravendale is nasty. Not as nasty as UHT, but still not good
drinking milk IMO, and I drink quite a lot.

Microfiltration is very popular in Europe too - I'm getting better at
spotting the small print on milk now. OTOH you can also sometimes get
untreated, which is a special treat.

Must admit I cannot tell the difference and I value it's longer life....

I only really drink milk in coffee, but do prefer the taste of 'cooking'
semi-skimmed to Cravendale. I don't generally find a problem with the life
of either, even buying it in the best value 4 pint size. I'd imagine the
average family would get through it quick enough not to have it go off too
- provided it's kept refrigerated.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:50:38 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/04/15 02:12, Clive George wrote:

And Cravendale is nasty. Not as nasty as UHT, but still not good
drinking milk IMO, and I drink quite a lot.

Microfiltration is very popular in Europe too - I'm getting better at
spotting the small print on milk now. OTOH you can also sometimes get
untreated, which is a special treat.

Must admit I cannot tell the difference and I value it's longer life....

I only really drink milk in coffee, but do prefer the taste of 'cooking'
semi-skimmed to Cravendale. I don't generally find a problem with the life
of either, even buying it in the best value 4 pint size. I'd imagine the
average family would get through it quick enough not to have it go off too
- provided it's kept refrigerated.

I'm amazed at how little milk others get through. I keep 4pts of full
cream and 4 pts of semi-skimmed in the fridge and get through the lot
before it comes anywhere near its use-by date. When my son lived here
too, it wasn't unusual to bring home another two four-pinters just as
the remaining ones in the fridge were being opened so there could have
been two gallons of milk in the fridge door at that time.

I like full-cream milk for cooking and coffee and semi-skimmed for tea
and cereals and the like. If you've never made a Yorkshire pud or a
rice pudding with full cream milk before - try it.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:

I'm amazed at how little milk others get through. I keep 4pts of full
cream and 4 pts of semi-skimmed in the fridge and get through the lot
before it comes anywhere near its use-by date.

Personally I don't consume milk at all except when used in
cooking, and even that is only occasional.

On my cereal I have yogurt.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2015 08:38, MM wrote:

Not much point to your argument when nobody uses such cards. They may
do in very big conurbations like London, but not in most of Britain.

A shop in Keswick recently suggested we use one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager put finger to keyboard:

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 05:27:21 +0100, MM wrote:

On 26 Apr 2015 10:28:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

serving up onion rings!

What on earth's wrong with onion rings!!

They're delicious!

I love onions.

Unfortunately so do I. But I'm sticking to ones without batter.

Asda's battered onion rings are lower in fat than their breadcrumbed ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:38:05 +0100, MM wrote:

Yes, some fools still use cash.

That's because it's quicker than cards.

Like hell it is than the most recent tap&pay cards where you don't
even need to enter a PIN,

Not much point to your argument when nobody uses such cards.

Unless it's a very small amount of groceries it'll be over the
£20/transaction limit on contactless payment anyway.

They may do in very big conurbations like London, but not in most of
Britain.

Meh, our Co-op in the middle of Englands Last Wilderness does
contactless payment. Trouble is not every Chip 'n Pin terminal does
contactless payment. On those that do there isn't a nice big obvious
logo and others don't have a lip of some sort so you can place your
card on the terminal and carry on packing whilst the checkout
operator takes payment.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, some fools still use cash.

That's because it's quicker than cards.

Like hell it is than the most recent tap&pay cards
where you don't even need to enter a PIN, just
tap the card on the terminal. And with the best
of the checkouts, you can do that while the stuff
is still being scanned, don't need to wait until
the total value is known.

Not much point to your argument when nobody uses such cards. They may
do in very big conurbations like London, but not in most of Britain.
It'll probably happen eventually, but right now, cash is quicker. Just
the wait while the card issuer verifies the card, then the customer
inputting his PIN takes longer than simply handing over a tenner and
getting the change.

Devs shop on the corner of Coronation street takes them, as does the caff in
Emmerdale - both up norf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:58:51 +0000, Scion wrote:

Bob Eager put finger to keyboard:

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 05:27:21 +0100, MM wrote:

On 26 Apr 2015 10:28:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

serving up onion rings!

What on earth's wrong with onion rings!!

They're delicious!

I love onions.

Unfortunately so do I. But I'm sticking to ones without batter.

Asda's battered onion rings are lower in fat than their breadcrumbed
ones.

I meant 'just onion' though!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:38:05 +0100, MM wrote:

Yes, some fools still use cash.

That's because it's quicker than cards.

Like hell it is than the most recent tap&pay cards where you don't
even need to enter a PIN,

Not much point to your argument when nobody uses such cards.

Unless it's a very small amount of groceries it'll be over the
£20/transaction limit on contactless payment anyway.

I've never exceeded the transaction limit at a supermarket.

They may do in very big conurbations like London, but not in most of
Britain.

Meh, our Co-op in the middle of Englands Last Wilderness does
contactless payment. Trouble is not every Chip 'n Pin terminal does
contactless payment. On those that do there isn't a nice big obvious
logo

Ours do.

and others don't have a lip of some sort so you can place your
card on the terminal and carry on packing whilst the checkout
operator takes payment.

You don't leave it on the terminal, you wave it at the terminal
and put it back in your wallet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2015 10:04, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Interesting, UHT is near synonymous with sterilised milk, except the UHT
process is more precisely defined.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The difference is simple, on the one hand you have an operator working
as fast as they can, and where the bar codes actually seem to work.

On the other, the operator waits for the customer they've just served to
leave, say hello to the new one, then ask if they need packing, and then
wait for the customer to open a bag which doesn't and to wait until the
customer has finished filling their bags. If there is any issue a
request to a supervisor.

I can go on. They really just don't compare. 2 - 3 times faster will be
about right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:03:39 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

[...]

I haven't had sterilised nilk for years, so I may be comparing the old
process wuth modern UHT.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The difference is simple,

Nope.

on the one hand you have an operator working as fast as they can,

Plenty of the non Aldi checkout droids do too.

and where the bar codes actually seem to work.

They do outside Aldi too.

On the other, the operator waits for the customer they've just served to
leave,

None of the non Aldi ones I use do that.

say hello to the new one, then ask if they need packing,

None of the non Aldi ones I use do that.

and then wait for the customer to open a bag which doesn't

None of the non Aldi ones I use do that.

and to wait until the customer has finished filling their bags.

None of the non Aldi ones I use do that.

If there is any issue a request to a supervisor.

None of the non Aldi ones I use do that.

I can go on.

You can't actually with anything that is accurate.

They really just don't compare. 2 - 3 times faster will be about right.

Nope, and nothing like it either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:03:03 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Like I said, there will be ~some~ usage outside of London and the big
cities, which contain a lot of students and young workers. But in
rural Britain, i.e. practically the whole of Lincolnshire for example,
there isn't. People pay either with a card (inserted, not swiped) or
cash. One observes customers paying in cash at Aldi branches more
often than at other supermarkets and this is probably because Aldi
only started accepted the major cards like Mastercard quite recently.
My habit of paying with cash again stems from my 13 years as a guest
worker in West Germany, and still today most people in Germany pay for
their groceries shopping in cash.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 18:27:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

[...]

Eh? That never happens in the UK! You don't get to insert your card
UNTIL all the goods have been scanned. THEN you have to wait a few
seconds for the card issuer to acknowledge the transaction, THEN you
get to punch in your PIN, then you have to wait for confirmation, then
the card machine tells you that you can now remove the card. All this
takes FAR LONGER than simply handing over a tenner and receiving
change.

With cash, that is the first time the total is known, so cash
inevitably is slower even when the customer does have a
note in their hand that is guaranteed to be enough to
cover the total because the droid still has to make change.

I don't know where you're from but the tills there work differently
from ours in the UK. You're saying you insert your card BEFORE the
operator starts scanning?

Just the wait while the card issuer verifies the card,
then the customer inputting his PIN takes longer than
simply handing over a tenner and getting the change.

Not when the system has been designed properly
so you can do what you need to do with the card
while the stuff is still being scanned.

We've just covered that. Unknown in the UK.

No farting around with the change or counting
what the droid gets handed either.

Sure, there are a few people, usually women, who count out
the exact amount, but most people paying in cash will hand
over a tenner or a twenty. Or maybe a couple of pound coins.

Still takes longer to make the change than to do nothing
with a well designed system that allows what needs to be
done with the card to be done while the droid is still scanning
the items.

And just to repeat, we've covered that already!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but both locations are fictional!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I rest my case, m'lud.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

More fool Britain. It's the obviously a better way to do it.

You don't get to insert your card UNTIL
all the goods have been scanned.

More fool you lot.

THEN you have to wait a few seconds for the
card issuer to acknowledge the transaction,

We aren't stupid enough to do it like that either.

THEN you get to punch in your PIN, then you
have to wait for confirmation, then the card
machine tells you that you can now remove
the card. All this takes FAR LONGER than simply
handing over a tenner and receiving change.

Then you lot need to get a clue and do things better.

With cash, that is the first time the total is known, so cash
inevitably is slower even when the customer does have a
note in their hand that is guaranteed to be enough to
cover the total because the droid still has to make change.

I don't know where you're from but the tills there work
differently from ours in the UK. You're saying you insert
your card BEFORE the operator starts scanning?

Nope, any time you like WHILE the operator is scanning.

Just the wait while the card issuer verifies the card,
then the customer inputting his PIN takes longer than
simply handing over a tenner and getting the change.

Not when the system has been designed properly
so you can do what you need to do with the card
while the stuff is still being scanned.

We've just covered that.

Not when I wrote that.

Unknown in the UK.

You previously claimed that no one outside
London uses tap and pay. Plenty have told
you that you are just plain wrong on that, so
it will be interesting to see how many say
you are just plain wrong about this one too.

And if you care about how fast things are
done, it obviously makes sense to use tap
and pay and do it faster than anyone can
make change with cash.

No farting around with the change or counting
what the droid gets handed either.

Sure, there are a few people, usually women, who count out
the exact amount, but most people paying in cash will hand
over a tenner or a twenty. Or maybe a couple of pound coins.

Still takes longer to make the change than to do nothing
with a well designed system that allows what needs to be
done with the card to be done while the droid is still scanning
the items.

And just to repeat, we've covered that already!

No you have not. You made a claim which is just plain wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You never had a case, y'dud.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 April 2015 17:28:04 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Unless it's a very small amount of groceries it'll be over the
£20/transaction limit on contactless payment anyway.

Maybe it's because I'm single, or cheap, but £20 would be by considered large for my weekly grocery bill.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 28 April 2015 17:28:04 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Unless it's a very small amount of groceries it'll be over the
£20/transaction limit on contactless payment anyway.

Maybe it's because I'm single, or cheap, but £20 would
be by considered large for my weekly grocery bill.

Ours have a $100 limit and I have only gone over that
once, when I was buying lots of prepared chicken stuff
on their special offers from www.lenards.com.au

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 02:34:56 +0100, MM wrote:

But in rural Britain, i.e. practically the whole of Lincolnshire for
example, there isn't. People pay either with a card (inserted, not
swiped) or cash.

Almost ceratainly because a weekly shop will come to more than the
contactless limit of £20/transaction, even if the EPOS system can
handle contactless payment.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr 2015 00:14:46 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

Pretty sure UHT was about when real sterilised milk was. Sterilised
milk is nothing like UHT or milk come to that, other than being a
white(ish) liquid.

I think some one has posted this link befo

http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=43

Sterilised = heat to 50 C, homogenise, bottled, heated to 110 to 130
C for 10 - 30 mins. In Birmingham at least it came in bottles like
this:

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-images...lised-milk.jpg

UHT = heated to at least 135 C but no duration given on the
milk.co.uk page. Other googling indicates the duration is just a
couple of seconds not tens of minutes.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 02:34:56 +0100, MM wrote:

But in rural Britain, i.e. practically the whole of Lincolnshire for
example, there isn't. People pay either with a card (inserted, not
swiped) or cash.

Almost ceratainly because a weekly shop will come to more than the
contactless limit of £20/transaction, even if the EPOS system can
handle contactless payment.

That is a completely stupid limit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/15 09:30, Simon Brown wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 02:34:56 +0100, MM wrote:

But in rural Britain, i.e. practically the whole of Lincolnshire for
example, there isn't. People pay either with a card (inserted, not
swiped) or cash.

Almost ceratainly because a weekly shop will come to more than the
contactless limit of £20/transaction, even if the EPOS system can
handle contactless payment.

That is a completely stupid limit.

Yes - too high IMO which is why I will only have contactless on one
pre-pay card where I can fundamentally limit the damage.