Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

On 29 Apr 2015 00:14:46 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Sterilisation is a step beyond pasteurisation. If you increase

the
pasteurisation time/temperature, you get closer to

sterilisation.
Currently supplied supermarket milk is both homegenised and

with
an extended pasteurisation time/temp[erature. The result is

milk
which is closer to a traditional sterilised milk. Who's

ignorant now?

If you think it is anywhere close to traditional sterilised

milk you
need to see a doctor about your lack of taste buds.

+1

Haven't seen proper sterilised milk for years. As I said before

foul
stuff, came in bottles with a crown cork. I don't think Capitol

has
ever tried real sterilised milk, even UHT is drinkable by

comparison.

+1

My mother occasionally bought it in emergencies, and it was vile.

UHT
is sort of OK, but I don't like it.

Interesting, UHT is near synonymous with sterilised milk, except

the
UHT process is more precisely defined.

I haven't had sterilised nilk for years, so I may be comparing the old
process wuth modern UHT.

Pretty sure UHT was about when real sterilised milk was. Sterilised
milk is nothing like UHT or milk come to that, other than being a
white(ish) liquid.

I think some one has posted this link befo

http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=43

Sterilised = heat to 50 C, homogenise, bottled, heated to 110 to 130
C for 10 - 30 mins. In Birmingham at least it came in bottles like
this:

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-images...lised-milk.jpg

UHT = heated to at least 135 C but no duration given on the
milk.co.uk page. Other googling indicates the duration is just a
couple of seconds not tens of minutes.

--
Cheers
Dave.