Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dot matrix printer

soup wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

Very few people will pay the price of a good printer. Nor will they
appreciate the difference between a good printer and ****e.

Most people do not need a good printer why pay for a decent printer when
all you need is a few representations of your work (there are very few
complete garbage printers these days).

Speak for yourself.

It was very easy to spot the people whose smeared and smudged inkjet CV's
came through the post, compared with those who had taken teh trouble to
get to a decent crisp laserjet.

TBH if I'm hiring, the quality of their home printer or whether they've just
used the one in the office has very little to do with what I want them to
do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It was very easy to spot the people whose smeared and smudged inkjet
CV's came through the post, compared with those who had taken teh
trouble to get to a decent crisp laserjet.

Why are people printing out CVs on home printers?

CVs aside if I want a photo printed would go to Boots(WHY) and let them
worry about capital costs, cost of consumables, clogged nozzles, all the
rest.
(YMMV)

And you can get very good but old laserjets very cheap these days.

As cheap as the inkjet allready on my desk?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It was very easy to spot the people whose smeared and smudged inkjet
CV's came through the post, compared with those who had taken teh
trouble to get to a decent crisp laserjet.

Why are people printing out CVs on home printers?

CVs aside if I want a photo printed would go to Boots(WHY) and let them
worry about capital costs, cost of consumables, clogged nozzles, all the
rest.
(YMMV)

And you can get very good but old laserjets very cheap these days.

As cheap as the inkjet allready on my desk?

Over 1000 sheets, cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:23:35 -0000, Clive George wrote:

TBH if I'm hiring, the quality of their home printer or whether they've
just used the one in the office has very little to do with what I want
them to do.

I suspect that depends on how many applications you have to sort through
to get a "short list" of 50...

Presentation is all for that first impression. If some one hasn't put the
tiny amount of effort in to make the best first impression what does it
say about their overall attitude?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

As usual with Linux then ;-)

As compared with windows, in which if there isn't a correct driver, you
are totally shagged..

There's nearly always a generic driver in Windows that works to provide
basic functionality, no matter what printer I've used. Case in point, my
latest HP - I couldn't be doing with all that system-clogging crap HP
wanted to put on, so it's running happily on a Windows driver and prints
anything I throw at it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
soup wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

Very few people will pay the price of a good printer. Nor will they
appreciate the difference between a good printer and ****e.

Most people do not need a good printer why pay for a decent printer when
all you need is a few representations of your work (there are very few
complete garbage printers these days).

Speak for yourself.

It was very easy to spot the people whose smeared and smudged inkjet
CV's came through the post, compared with those who had taken teh
trouble to get to a decent crisp laserjet.

I can't remember the last time I actually got a paper CV through
the post. I've had a couple as Word documents with embedded macro
viruses though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
I have been looking for a cheap printer to replace the gummed up inkjet
my wife used to use before we bought her a laptop. I now get irregular
e-mails requesting that such and such
letter/recipe/birth/marriage/death etc. attachment should be printed on
the office m/c.

I don't leave my PC switched on so networking won't work and she works
at the other end of the house so picking up copy is inconvenient.

I confidently expected dot matrix printers to be dirt cheap by now and
half promised one as a birthday pressie. 150ukp they must be joking!

For 70ukp I can get an entry level laser inc. usb cable. Is there
something I should know?

economies of scale, innit

I need a dot matrix for printing labels, yes they are no longer cheap

The same is happening with IDE hard drives I noticed last week - getting
more expensive that the equivalent SATA ones

If you want cheap, I just bought a Canon i2600 for £29.99 +

It does what's required of it, consumables are reasonable

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

I need a dot matrix for printing labels, yes they are no longer cheap

They're also essential for multipart forms, something that lasers and
inkjets are useless for, so they still have a place but it's in volume
commercial printing.

FWIW my own business has used Xerox solid ink printers for years. The
print quality is much better than laser and the running costs are a lot
lower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 12:26, soup wrote:

Why are people printing out CVs on home printers?

I work in a field where almost all recruitment is done through
agencies. So my CV is carefully edited, distributed by email, then
printed out on any old **** in the pondlife's office. 8-( I always
take a decent copy with me when I go for the interview.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes

For 70ukp I can get an entry level laser inc. usb cable. Is there
something I should know?

economies of scale, innit

I need a dot matrix for printing labels, yes they are no longer cheap

The same is happening with IDE hard drives I noticed last week -
getting more expensive that the equivalent SATA ones

If you want cheap, I just bought a Canon i2600 for £29.99 +

It does what's required of it, consumables are reasonable

Cost is secondary to standby reliability. The use will probably not
exceed 3 copies once per week!

Amazon are sending me an HP laserjet p1006 shortly.

From the interest shown, should I expect a raft of reasons why this is a
bum decision?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim Lamb wrote:

Amazon are sending me an HP laserjet p1006 shortly.

How kind of them!

That (or a similar product from the same or a different company) would
have been my choice as well.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin wrote:

I wouldn't employ anyone who used Word, myself,

Whether you love Word or hate it, in the real world isn't that an
awfully broad and haphazard method of screening applicants...?!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Lobster wrote:
Appin wrote:

I wouldn't employ anyone who used Word, myself,

Whether you love Word or hate it, in the real world isn't that an
awfully broad and haphazard method of screening applicants...?!

David

And if an agency is involved, well, many of them insist on Word format.
(Won't even accept RTF in many cases. Nor any other format whatsoever.)

This is obviously because they copy and paste the information into their
standard CV format - leaving out anything that could cut them out of the
loop and lose their fees.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin wrote:

I wouldn't employ anyone who used Word, myself

Why? Surely 90%+ of all businesses use Word (blinking Bill gets
everywhere), and while Open Office (for instance)can open DOC files I
don't think Word can open ODF files. So it would seem to make sense to
send any correspondence to companies as a DOC file.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Appin wrote:
I wouldn't employ anyone who used Word, myself,

Whether you love Word or hate it, in the real world isn't that an
awfully broad and haphazard method of screening applicants...?!

Considerably more scientific (and probably useful) than graphology or
astrology (both of which I have seen used by local government personnel
responsible for recruitment).

Astrology? For real?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:39:26 GMT, soup wrote:

Why? Surely 90%+ of all businesses use Word (blinking Bill gets
everywhere), and while Open Office (for instance)can open DOC files I
don't think Word can open ODF files. So it would seem to make sense to
send any correspondence to companies as a DOC file.

Far more sense to send it as a .pdf, not quite as easy to edit and far
more likely to appear the same on their machine as it does on yours.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-03-01, Owain wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Appin wrote:
I wouldn't employ anyone who used Word, myself,
Whether you love Word or hate it, in the real world isn't that an
awfully broad and haphazard method of screening applicants...?!

Considerably more scientific (and probably useful) than graphology or
astrology (both of which I have seen used by local government personnel
responsible for recruitment).

I have been subjected to graphology by a large multinational. I wrote the
sample in block capitals and commented to the HR person that graphology
was so much tidier and less smelly than haruspicy.

For some reason I didn't get the job.

I'm very partial to "The Office" shortlisting method:

Throw half the applications away at random - the last thing you want to do
is employ an unlucky person

Can't argue with that.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:

Throw half the applications away at random - the last thing you want to do
is employ an unlucky person

Someone I worked with used to throw them downstairs then pick a few from
the middle steps. He claimed this weeded out those who wrote too much,
those who wrote too little and the unlucky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:47:45 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:39:26 GMT, soup wrote:

Why? Surely 90%+ of all businesses use Word (blinking Bill gets
everywhere), and while Open Office (for instance)can open DOC files I
don't think Word can open ODF files. So it would seem to make sense to
send any correspondence to companies as a DOC file.

Far more sense to send it as a .pdf, not quite as easy to edit and far
more likely to appear the same on their machine as it does on yours.

Although by that metric (much as I agree), sending it as an image would
work even better (the electronic equivalent of posting it) - but I've
never heard of anyone doing that.

I use Openoffice for just about everything, and it drives me nuts that I
have to go and locate a Windows machine with Word on it every time I'm
sending something "off site" in electronic form, purely so I can verify
that OO has correctly saved in Word format properly & that the doc will
look more or less as it should for the recipient.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 08:48:04 -0600, Jules wrote:

I use Openoffice for just about everything, and it drives me nuts that I
have to go and locate a Windows machine with Word on it every time I'm
sending something "off site" in electronic form, purely so I can verify
that OO has correctly saved in Word format properly & that the doc will
look more or less as it should for the recipient.

How often does OOo not save as M$ expects? I'm not overly concerned about
complex documents just yer run of the mill ordinary letter with maybe an
image and/or table.

Says him thinking that when SWMBO'd computer gets replaced it's not going
to get M$ Office. Indeed I'd like to move to linux but that might be
pushing things a bit to far...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

Assuming the nozzle is in the cartridge, simply remove it from the
printer and dip the relevant end into a cup of near boiling water for
ten seconds or so.

It isn't in Epson's' which is why their ink is cheaper than HP. However
when you buy a new HP ink you get a new nozzle etc. which does help. i
have thrown away several Epson's as there was no way to unblock them and
no repair shop would look at them once they were a few years old, yet
they were generally sturdier built and didn't blow your eyeballs off
with their colours as sometimes happens in HPs.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy wrote:

It isn't in Epson's' which is why their ink is cheaper than HP. However
when you buy a new HP ink you get a new nozzle etc. which does help. i
have thrown away several Epson's as there was no way to unblock them and
no repair shop would look at them once they were a few years old, yet
they were generally sturdier built and didn't blow your eyeballs off
with their colours as sometimes happens in HPs.

It is possible to unblock Epson nozzles in a sonic bath. Not everyone
has access to such a device and TBH very few people can tolerate the
noise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
It isn't in Epson's' which is why their ink is cheaper than HP. However
when you buy a new HP ink you get a new nozzle etc. which does help. i
have thrown away several Epson's as there was no way to unblock them and
no repair shop would look at them once they were a few years old, yet
they were generally sturdier built and didn't blow your eyeballs off
with their colours as sometimes happens in HPs.

Last Epsom I had was a Stylus colour 600 - and you can remove the head for
cleaning. Soaking in ammonia usually does it.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

Considerably more scientific (and probably useful) than graphology or
astrology (both of which I have seen used by local government personnel
responsible for recruitment).

Astrology? For real?

It worked for Hitler, didn't it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:27:08 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

It is possible to unblock Epson nozzles in a sonic bath. Not everyone
has access to such a device and TBH very few people can tolerate the
noise.

A "sonic bath" is something other than an ultra sonic cleaner then? Small,
low power, ones are available for less than £50 and they make no
objectionable noise that I'm aware of. This sort would be fine for nozzle
unblocking.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:27:08 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

It is possible to unblock Epson nozzles in a sonic bath. Not everyone
has access to such a device and TBH very few people can tolerate the
noise.

A "sonic bath" is something other than an ultra sonic cleaner then? Small,
low power, ones are available for less than £50 and they make no
objectionable noise that I'm aware of. This sort would be fine for nozzle
unblocking.

How would you get the nozzle part of the printer out of said printer and
into a bath? I could never figure out how to get the part unattached so
i could really clean it/see if it was really blocked.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:31:28 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 08:48:04 -0600, Jules wrote:

I use Openoffice for just about everything, and it drives me nuts that I
have to go and locate a Windows machine with Word on it every time I'm
sending something "off site" in electronic form, purely so I can verify
that OO has correctly saved in Word format properly & that the doc will
look more or less as it should for the recipient.

How often does OOo not save as M$ expects? I'm not overly concerned about
complex documents just yer run of the mill ordinary letter with maybe an
image and/or table.

I've not had much trouble with the layout side - but of course OO's idea
of available fonts on a Linux box are generally different to Word's on a
Windows box, so I normally have to do a little bit of font tinkering in
Word so that things look nice.

OO running on a Windows platform might sort out a lot of the font issues
though, as hopefully it'll use exactly the same fonts that Word would.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 01:06:58 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

How would you get the nozzle part of the printer out of said printer and
into a bath?

Dismantle the printer.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
How would you get the nozzle part of the printer out of said printer and
into a bath? I could never figure out how to get the part unattached so
i could really clean it/see if it was really blocked.

I found instructions on removing the one on my old Stylus via Google. It's
not a job for the clumsy, though. But if it's not working you have nothing
to lose.

--
*Beware - animal lover - brakes for pussy*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I have been looking for a cheap printer to replace the gummed up inkjet
my wife used to use before we bought her a laptop. I now get irregular
e-mails requesting that such and such letter/recipe/birth/marriage/death
etc. attachment should be printed on the office m/c.

I don't leave my PC switched on so networking won't work and she works
at the other end of the house so picking up copy is inconvenient.

I confidently expected dot matrix printers to be dirt cheap by now and
half promised one as a birthday pressie. 150ukp they must be joking!

For 70ukp I can get an entry level laser inc. usb cable. Is there
something I should know?

regards

OK, so I'm late to this thread but I do have an OLD[1] dot
matrix printer ready for recycling.

[1] Star LC-10, OK I'll wizz it.

--
Jeweller
R100RT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Appin
writes

I wouldn't employ anyone who used Word, myself, far less someone who
didn't know enough to send a pdf.

Word is a pain in the bum now it saves its files as docx types. My
system hates them and half the software won't see them properly anyway.
Just another ruse to make us all update Office or whatever we have on
the computer.
I don't use Word unless I really have to, usually to filter in work from
customers before taking it into another program.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:

OO running on a Windows platform might sort out a lot of the font issues
though, as hopefully it'll use exactly the same fonts that Word would.

Or, since Word makes an abortion of layout and uses some of the ugliest
fonts going by default, one might use the basic set of PostScript fonts
across all platforms and thus have consistency between them all. This
would mean using Times instead of the Times New Roman and Helvetica
instead of Arial. This isn't a bad policy to adopt anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
It isn't in Epson's' which is why their ink is cheaper than HP. However
when you buy a new HP ink you get a new nozzle etc. which does help. i
have thrown away several Epson's as there was no way to unblock them and
no repair shop would look at them once they were a few years old, yet
they were generally sturdier built and didn't blow your eyeballs off
with their colours as sometimes happens in HPs.

Last Epsom I had was a Stylus colour 600 - and you can remove the head for
cleaning. Soaking in ammonia usually does it.

Last Epsom I had fell at the third fence..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article ,
writes
On 3 Mar, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Word is a pain in the bum now it saves its files as docx types.
My system hates them and half the software won't see them
properly anyway. Just another ruse to make us all update Office
or whatever we have on the computer. I don't use Word unless I
really have to, usually to filter in work from customers before
taking it into another program.

You can alter the default preference to save as word2003 (.doc)
files. That's what I've done.

You can also download an add-in thingy to enable Word 2003 load files in
Word 2007 format, which is my own preference.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Word 2007 is the most utterly appalling
abomination - when I've been forced into using it I can't see any
advantage at all over the previous version; they've simply hidden all
the commands away in totally illogical places. The PowerPoint 'upgrade'
is even worse; simply totally unusable.

Well my XP wants to save them as zip files for some unknown reason
and doesn't give me a choice as to what I could save them as, though
it grudgingly allows me to save them as is.

Sounds like you've got something set up wrong there!

I darn's save them as 2003 files in case I am not bringing in
something the customer had laid out, (IYSWIM)

I sometimes have to work with external 2007 files too, but no way in
hell am I going to change to Word 2007. My solution hasn't caused me
any grief at all so far!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Word 2007 is the most utterly appalling
abomination - when I've been forced into using it I can't see any
advantage at all over the previous version; they've simply hidden all
the commands away in totally illogical places. The PowerPoint 'upgrade'
is even worse; simply totally unusable.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. In another newsgroup individuals were
insisting that Word 2007 is perfect and much easier to use than 2003. I
think that they're all on mind bending drugs.

Last week someone at work asked me how to add a button to an Excel
spreadsheet that would change the view of the spreadsheet when a user
clicked on it. A piece of cake in Excel 2003, simply call up the "forms"
toolbar select button, drag to the spreadheet and attach a macro to
display a custom view. We worked through it together then he went away
to do it himself. He was back in five minutes - "how do you do that in
Excel 2007?"

Another bloody nightmare. Give it a try someday. It starts off with the
problem that the forms toolbar is hidden, then you have to solve how to
access macro function capability.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jeweller
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
I have been looking for a cheap printer to replace the gummed up
inkjet my wife used to use before we bought her a laptop. I now get
irregular e-mails requesting that such and such
letter/recipe/birth/marriage/death etc. attachment should be printed
on the office m/c.
I don't leave my PC switched on so networking won't work and she
works at the other end of the house so picking up copy is inconvenient.
I confidently expected dot matrix printers to be dirt cheap by now
and half promised one as a birthday pressie. 150ukp they must be
joking!
For 70ukp I can get an entry level laser inc. usb cable. Is there
something I should know?
regards

OK, so I'm late to this thread but I do have an OLD[1] dot matrix
printer ready for recycling.

[1] Star LC-10, OK I'll wizz it.

Too late:-)

Amazon has the job in hand.

I shall soon be able to report on intermittent use laser problems!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:38:46 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

You can also download an add-in thingy to enable Word 2003 load files in
Word 2007 format, which is my own preference.

It works well.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Word 2007 is the most utterly appalling
abomination - when I've been forced into using it I can't see any
advantage at all over the previous version; they've simply hidden all
the commands away in totally illogical places. The PowerPoint 'upgrade'
is even worse; simply totally unusable.

I actually found PP 2007 much better - but then I never really got into
2003. But I use it quite a bit, and teach Excel 2007 quite a bit too. I
like it...I agree about the occasional illogicality, but it was never
logical - the illogicality has just moved a bit!

Well my XP wants to save them as zip files for some unknown reason
and doesn't give me a choice as to what I could save them as, though
it grudgingly allows me to save them as is.

Sounds like you've got something set up wrong there!

I'm not sure of the context here, but there's certainly an issue with
misconfigured web servers. Put an Office 2007 file on there and it'll
try to force you to download it as a ZIP file (because that's actually
what it is, of course). A fix to the list of MIME types on the web
server soon sorts that out.

I darn's save them as 2003 files in case I am not bringing in
something the customer had laid out, (IYSWIM)

I sometimes have to work with external 2007 files too, but no way in
hell am I going to change to Word 2007. My solution hasn't caused me
any grief at all so far!

It generally warns you if saving in 2003 format is going to lose you
something.

My wife sends a lot of stuff around (mainly from OO as we don't use
Windows except for work). She uses RTF.

http://www.diybanter.com