Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default dot matrix printer

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article ,
writes
On 3 Mar, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Word is a pain in the bum now it saves its files as docx types.
My system hates them and half the software won't see them
properly anyway. Just another ruse to make us all update Office
or whatever we have on the computer. I don't use Word unless I
really have to, usually to filter in work from customers before
taking it into another program.

You can alter the default preference to save as word2003 (.doc)
files. That's what I've done.

You can also download an add-in thingy to enable Word 2003 load files in
Word 2007 format, which is my own preference.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Word 2007 is the most utterly appalling
abomination - when I've been forced into using it I can't see any
advantage at all over the previous version; they've simply hidden all
the commands away in totally illogical places. The PowerPoint 'upgrade'
is even worse; simply totally unusable.

Well my XP wants to save them as zip files for some unknown reason
and doesn't give me a choice as to what I could save them as, though
it grudgingly allows me to save them as is.

Sounds like you've got something set up wrong there!

I darn's save them as 2003 files in case I am not bringing in
something the customer had laid out, (IYSWIM)

I sometimes have to work with external 2007 files too, but no way in
hell am I going to change to Word 2007. My solution hasn't caused me
any grief at all so far!

David