Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default dot matrix printer

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:38:46 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

You can also download an add-in thingy to enable Word 2003 load files in
Word 2007 format, which is my own preference.

It works well.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Word 2007 is the most utterly appalling
abomination - when I've been forced into using it I can't see any
advantage at all over the previous version; they've simply hidden all
the commands away in totally illogical places. The PowerPoint 'upgrade'
is even worse; simply totally unusable.

I actually found PP 2007 much better - but then I never really got into
2003. But I use it quite a bit, and teach Excel 2007 quite a bit too. I
like it...I agree about the occasional illogicality, but it was never
logical - the illogicality has just moved a bit!

Well my XP wants to save them as zip files for some unknown reason
and doesn't give me a choice as to what I could save them as, though
it grudgingly allows me to save them as is.

Sounds like you've got something set up wrong there!

I'm not sure of the context here, but there's certainly an issue with
misconfigured web servers. Put an Office 2007 file on there and it'll
try to force you to download it as a ZIP file (because that's actually
what it is, of course). A fix to the list of MIME types on the web
server soon sorts that out.

I darn's save them as 2003 files in case I am not bringing in
something the customer had laid out, (IYSWIM)

I sometimes have to work with external 2007 files too, but no way in
hell am I going to change to Word 2007. My solution hasn't caused me
any grief at all so far!

It generally warns you if saving in 2003 format is going to lose you
something.

My wife sends a lot of stuff around (mainly from OO as we don't use
Windows except for work). She uses RTF.

http://www.diybanter.com