Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default dot matrix printer

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:47:45 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:39:26 GMT, soup wrote:

Why? Surely 90%+ of all businesses use Word (blinking Bill gets
everywhere), and while Open Office (for instance)can open DOC files I
don't think Word can open ODF files. So it would seem to make sense to
send any correspondence to companies as a DOC file.

Far more sense to send it as a .pdf, not quite as easy to edit and far
more likely to appear the same on their machine as it does on yours.

Although by that metric (much as I agree), sending it as an image would
work even better (the electronic equivalent of posting it) - but I've
never heard of anyone doing that.

I use Openoffice for just about everything, and it drives me nuts that I
have to go and locate a Windows machine with Word on it every time I'm
sending something "off site" in electronic form, purely so I can verify
that OO has correctly saved in Word format properly & that the doc will
look more or less as it should for the recipient.

cheers

Jules