Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dropped kerb / offroad parking : planning permission (and refusal!)

Chums

I'm slowly (as is my wont) progressing thoughts about asking for a
dropped kerb permission, to park on the front garden. (The nature of
the road is that is required planning permission).

The local council are being helpful in email communication, but their
latest states

xxx Rd is classified as a Secondary Distributor Road and the Highway
Authority would not allow the formation of a vehicle access without an
off street turning arrangement. Clearly, this would not be achievable
within the dimensions of your front garden and any planning
application would be recommended for refusal.

which appears to be saying that they're expecting the vehicle access
to be big enough to turn a vehicle around on it. The neighbouring
houses all have narrower gardens, being terraced, and one actually has
a picasso parked on it, which pretty much takes up all the available
space when its parked on there, never mind being able to turn it!

Of all the houses, ours has the widest garden, but on account of a bay
window, it's not as deep. On account of this, our intention is to buy
a super-mini, which would actually be small enough to turn on the
parking space in front of the house.

Anyone had experience of this specific objections to a dropped kerb?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maurice W wrote:
[...]

No experience of planning permission refusal but ISTR that there ws an
episode of Property Ladder where they showed a turntable as a solution
to parking problems. Cottage near Ross-on-Wye IIRC.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maurice W presented the following explanation :
[...]

As mentioned by Andrew - you can buy a drive on turn table, which
allows a car to be spun around in just a little more than its own
length.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Maurice W" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know about the regs but doubt very the car you would be using would
have anything to do with their decision. If it did, then you could tell them
you want to put a driveway in /drop the kerb to accommodate a motor bike.

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Maurice W" wrote in message
Chums

I'm slowly (as is my wont) progressing thoughts about asking for a
dropped kerb permission, to park on the front garden. (The nature of
the road is that is required planning permission).

The local council are being helpful in email communication, but their
latest states

xxx Rd is classified as a Secondary Distributor Road

Wossat then?

and the Highway
Authority would not allow the formation of a vehicle access without an
off street turning arrangement. Clearly, this would not be achievable
within the dimensions of your front garden and any planning
application would be recommended for refusal.

Anyone had experience of this specific objections to a dropped kerb?

In our street people just do it themselves.

It's messy but ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:56:22 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Maurice W" wrote in message
.. .

Anyone had experience of this specific objections to a dropped kerb?

In our street people just do it themselves.

It's messy but ...

The trouble with tampering with the footway like that is that as soon
as a pedestrian has any accident - slipping, tripping or whatever,
even if it isn't your fault, the LA will (rightly) wash their hands of
the matter and the pedestrian may very well sue you.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Even if you get it agreed our local council quoted me £800 just to lower the
kerb - I figured its cheaper to lay the drive and leave the kerb as is -
been working for me for 5 years no probs!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Maurice W wrote:
which appears to be saying that they're expecting the vehicle access
to be big enough to turn a vehicle around on it. The neighbouring
houses all have narrower gardens, being terraced, and one actually has
a picasso parked on it, which pretty much takes up all the available
space when its parked on there, never mind being able to turn it!
Of all the houses, ours has the widest garden, but on account of a bay
window, it's not as deep. On account of this, our intention is to buy
a super-mini, which would actually be small enough to turn on the
parking space in front of the house.

They're unlikely to allow that as you or a future occupant, or even a
visitor, could have a larger car.

The answer is, as others have said, a turntable.

Owain

As far as I see it, they'll refuse any planning application because it is in
breach of the Highway Code to reverse onto a highway and as such could be
construed to be a breach of the Road Traffic Act.

As others have said, you'd be better with something like this;

http://www.driveawaymat.co.uk/10.html

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mitch wrote:

Even if you get it agreed our local council quoted me £800 just to
lower the kerb - I figured its cheaper to lay the drive and leave the
kerb as is - been working for me for 5 years no probs!

I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if you
drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know
whether it's true - but it would be worth checking.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:56:22 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Maurice W" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

On my street someone's using a large plank of wood.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Oct, 21:08, "cerberus" wrote:

As far as I see it, they'll refuse any planning application because it is in
breach of the Highway Code to reverse onto a highway and as such could be
construed to be a breach of the Road Traffic Act.

Shouldn't "they" also then be banning the sale of cars which can
exceed the speed limit, or bags of self raising flour which could be
used to assault people?

If reversing onto the road is a problem, just reverse off it. Problem
solved. This sounds like an excuse for stopping people turning their
front gardens into car parks. Mind you, I have some sympathy with that
aim.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om The Real
Doctor wrote:

If reversing onto the road is a problem, just reverse off it. Problem
solved. This sounds like an excuse for stopping people turning their
front gardens into car parks. Mind you, I have some sympathy with that
aim.

Isn't it more likely to do the opposite. Instead of having just a normal
driveway to park the car on they'll be paving a much bigger area to provide
turning space.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills presented the following explanation :
I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if you
drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know whether
it's true - but it would be worth checking.

--

That is true as is parking part on a kerb, but both laws are widely
ignored. In our street only one house in ten with a drive has a legal

In your situation - I would check around to see how many others on your
street have a proper dropped kerb and if several have got away with it
- just create a drive without one.

I think legally there is the advantage with a legal dropped kerb that
if someone parks across the entrance the obstruction law will more
likely be enforced.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Roger Mills presented the following explanation :
I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if
you drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know
whether it's true - but it would be worth checking.

--

That is true as is parking part on a kerb, but both laws are widely
ignored.

I remember a traffic cop going up a street I used to live at and putting
tickets on cars that had parked facing the wrong way. i.e. they had to cross
the opposite lane of traffic to drive off!! I guess they were really bored
that day and looking for something to do.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mogga" wrote in message
news

Anyone had experience of this specific objections to a dropped kerb?

In our street people just do it themselves.

It's messy but ...

Mary

On my street someone's using a large plank of wood.

We use a couple of wedges of wood laid on the road to ease the caravan
wheels from the gutter (cambered) over the road kerb. We painted marks on
the kerb to make positioning easy.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...

As far as I see it, they'll refuse any planning application because it is
in breach of the Highway Code to reverse onto a highway and as such could
be construed to be a breach of the Road Traffic Act.

I can't understand why anybody drives into a drive in the first place. It's
easier to reverse in and drive out.

I might have missed something of course ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven" wrote in message
I remember a traffic cop going up a street I used to live at and putting
tickets on cars that had parked facing the wrong way. i.e. they had to
cross the opposite lane of traffic to drive off!!

That is only an offence after lighting up time, as cars parked facing the
wrong way cannot show the correct colours of lights, which includes
reflectors and numberplate backgrounds.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Mitch wrote:

Even if you get it agreed our local council quoted me £800 just to
lower the kerb - I figured its cheaper to lay the drive and leave the
kerb as is - been working for me for 5 years no probs!

I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if
you drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know
whether it's true - but it would be worth checking.

The primary legislation is Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835, which
prohibits driving on that part of the highway set aside for the use of
pedestrians. There are also provisions in the Road Traffic Acts that apply.
Proper authority for a dropped kerb includes permission under the relevant
legislation to cross the footway for the purpose of access.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Roger Mills presented the following explanation :
I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if
you drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know
whether it's true - but it would be worth checking.

--

That is true as is parking part on a kerb, ....

In the absence of any waiting restrictions or local bye-laws, there is
nothing inherently illegal about parking on the pavement. It is, however,
usually quite difficult to do that without driving on it, which is illegal.

I think legally there is the advantage with a legal dropped kerb that if
someone parks across the entrance the obstruction law will more likely be
enforced.

More important, you can apply for a white line entrance marking, which is
surprisingly effective at stopping people from doing so.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

More important, you can apply for a white line entrance marking, which is
surprisingly effective at stopping people from doing so.

That's an idea - how does one go about it?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:58:35 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...

As far as I see it, they'll refuse any planning application because it is
in breach of the Highway Code to reverse onto a highway and as such could
be construed to be a breach of the Road Traffic Act.

I can't understand why anybody drives into a drive in the first place. It's
easier to reverse in and drive out.

I might have missed something of course ...

Mary

I have a kit-car (Lotus 7 style) which has a long bonnet and the seats
right at the back - due to a neighbour's hedge, visibility (particularly
checking for pedestrians) is much better if I reverse out! However for my
everyday car, I always reverse in.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:58:35 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...

As far as I see it, they'll refuse any planning application because it is
in breach of the Highway Code to reverse onto a highway and as such could
be construed to be a breach of the Road Traffic Act.

I can't understand why anybody drives into a drive in the first place. It's
easier to reverse in and drive out.

I might have missed something of course ...

Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter *and*
leave in a forwards direction. Failure to have an approved dropped kerb
can lead to criminal charges, and if it's an unapproved one (as opposed
to none) and someone is injured on it, the owner will be liable.

Apart from that, do what you want.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter *and*
leave in a forwards direction. Failure to have an approved dropped kerb
can lead to criminal charges, and if it's an unapproved one (as opposed
to none) and someone is injured on it, the owner will be liable.

I have noticed on recent planning applications that some councils
are getting much fussier about new access points. Visibility
lines have to be calculated (it is a shame some existing road
junctions wouldn't comply) and I have seen requirements that no
water shall be allowed to run off the drive, loose gravel is not
permitted, and limits on steepness.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

IANAL: AIUI, it's an _absolute_ offense to 'drive on the pavement'.

A ' proper dropped kerb' off the council will include a legal 'Easement'
permitting vehicles to be driven from the Public Highway -across the
Counicil;s pavement - onto your property.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Mary Fisher wrote :
I can't understand why anybody drives into a drive in the first place. It's
easier to reverse in and drive out.

I might have missed something of course ...

Some, like me, might have a good reason for driving nose in - I have a
garage and the obvious way might be to have the bonnet/engine near the
working (tools and workbench) end of the garage. Car #2 always sits out
in the weather and is reversed into the drive.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

More important, you can apply for a white line entrance marking, which is
surprisingly effective at stopping people from doing so.

That's an idea - how does one go about it?

There is nothing illegal about painting road markings that do not require a
Traffic Order and that comply with the Road Signs Regulations and General
Directions, so I did it by painting one with factory floor lining equipment.
When they resurfaced the road, the contractors replaced it with a pukka one.
However, I think the right way is to apply to the local authority Highways
Department. Last I heard, the cost was about £60.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Maurice W" wrote in message
Of all the houses, ours has the widest garden, but on account of a bay
window, it's not as deep. On account of this, our intention is to buy
a super-mini, which would actually be small enough to turn on the
parking space in front of the house....

The requirement will be for there to be sufficient space to turn a car of a
specific size, usually the 95th percentile, not whichever car you happen to
own at the time.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter *and*
leave in a forwards direction.

So why are learners taught to reverse round corners? (insert smiley
here)
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
and limits on steepness.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/pho.../photo128p.jpg
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-13 22:41:01 +0100, Skipweasel said:

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter *and*
leave in a forwards direction.

So why are learners taught to reverse round corners? (insert smiley
here)

So that driving instructors and test examiners can look at interesting
parts of their female clients' anatomy while this is being done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:41:01 UTC, Skipweasel wrote:

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter *and*
leave in a forwards direction.

So why are learners taught to reverse round corners? (insert smiley
here)

You wait until Swansea council catches up with the DVLA! :-)
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:41:01 UTC, Skipweasel wrote:

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter
*and* leave in a forwards direction.

So why are learners taught to reverse round corners? (insert smiley
here)

You wait until Swansea council catches up with the DVLA! :-)

It's not just Swansea, the DVLA has grown large roots and has branches
all over the place these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 00:11:00 UTC, "clot" wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:41:01 UTC, Skipweasel wrote:

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter
*and* leave in a forwards direction.

So why are learners taught to reverse round corners? (insert smiley
here)

You wait until Swansea council catches up with the DVLA! :-)

It's not just Swansea, the DVLA has grown large roots and has branches
all over the place these days.

Hope they have council permission!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:41:01 UTC, Skipweasel wrote:

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter
*and* leave in a forwards direction.

So why are learners taught to reverse round corners? (insert smiley
here)

You wait until Swansea council catches up with the DVLA! :-)

It's not just Swansea, the DVLA has grown large roots and has
branches all over the place these days.

Hope they have council permission!

Whilst an agency, they have they greatest protection that can be met.
Their roots, trunks, branches and leaves have a preservation order from
central guvmint.;(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:

In article ,
says...
and limits on steepness.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/pho.../photo128p.jpg

Are they serious? Even if you had the grip, you would need a
hell of a clearance to avoid grounding!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Skipweasel wrote:

In article ,
says...
and limits on steepness.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/pho.../photo128p.jpg

Are they serious? Even if you had the grip, you would need a
hell of a clearance to avoid grounding!

Think about why such a photo would be part of a safetycenter's
collection...

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Oct, 17:45, Maurice W wrote:
[...]

Yes i had a run in with my local council on a similar issue . I live
in a street in which every house with a car owner was given a dropped
kerb free if charge . My house previously was owned by an old lady so
she never applied for one . So i have been driving up the kerb with a
little piece of timber snuggling the kerb , and parking on my garden
without problem .

Then i got a letter through my door saying i was breaking some by-law
dating from 1878 ? stating i was driving illegally over a highway and
byway . LOL i could face criminal prosecution ! . So i rang the
council and i asked if i could have a dropped kerb like my
nieghbours , they promptly sent a guy round , and this guy spent an
hour with is little book and pen scribbling notes . then he went .

3 weeks later i got a letter saying it would cost me 699 quid ! ,
lol , it would cost of me a bag of bitumen and two kerbs at the time
around 20 quid all in , i just ripped up the letter and threw it
away .

Im still the only one without a dropped kerb , i still drive over the
path ( like my neighbors ) and i have never heard from them since ( 10
years ago ). If i do i will fight them . This is sheer lunacy .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Oct, 22:09, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Mitch wrote:
Even if you get it agreed our local council quoted me £800 just to
lower the kerb - I figured its cheaper to lay the drive and leave the
kerb as is - been working for me for 5 years no probs!

I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if you
drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know
whether it's true - but it would be worth checking.

Driving acoss the pavement is an offence if there is no dropeed kerb.
However, I believe that having your car parked on the garden is not
considered evidence that you drove it there; you migh thave craned it
there for example, or dismatled it and rebuiklt it bit by bit. in
just the same way as parking on the pavement might cause the offence
of 'obstruction' but is not proof of driving on the pavement.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Maurice W
writes
[...]

I am currently going through a planning process on a renovation
property, at the pre-application discussion stage.

There is no off-road access at the moment and the plan is to make a
couple of parking spaces on the area of the front garden.

I spoke to the LA about this and they initially said they had no
problems with this but would require a turning area so as to "allow
entry and exit in a forward gear".

This would be problematical given the proposed ideas for a side
extension to the existing property and so I asked to meet them on site
to discuss the options.

I met a council officer who recognised that the position of the property
allowed good eyelines in both directions and given that in the 15-20
minutes we were on site about 2 cars passed the property (it is in a
quite Wiltshire village, but is on a classified road) she agreed that a
turning area would not be necessary. We did also have a look at a few
of the neighbouring properties which clearly did not have turning areas.

She has since followed this up in writing.

I don't know if this will help you, but it shows that a common sense
approach can be made if the relevant parties are willing.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct 2007 12:04:09 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter *and*
leave in a forwards direction. Failure to have an approved dropped kerb
can lead to criminal charges, and if it's an unapproved one (as opposed
to none) and someone is injured on it, the owner will be liable.

I'm bemused as to how six neighbouring houses have gotted dropped kerb
permission - they've got even narrower gardens with no way of doing
any kind of manouvering.

was Dropped Kerb now : Pedestrian Visibility Splay Maurice W UK diy 14 July 18th 07 05:57 PM
dropped kerb Maurice W UK diy 9 July 13th 07 11:38 PM
Dropped kerb John UK diy 20 April 25th 07 05:56 PM
Dropped kerb pricing s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 19 January 1st 05 06:27 PM
Refusal of planning permission... what next? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 12 November 24th 04 12:42 PM