Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default dropped kerb / offroad parking : planning permission (and refusal!)

Maurice W wrote:
Chums

I'm slowly (as is my wont) progressing thoughts about asking for a
dropped kerb permission, to park on the front garden. (The nature of
the road is that is required planning permission).

The local council are being helpful in email communication, but their
latest states

xxx Rd is classified as a Secondary Distributor Road and the Highway
Authority would not allow the formation of a vehicle access without an
off street turning arrangement. Clearly, this would not be achievable
within the dimensions of your front garden and any planning
application would be recommended for refusal.

which appears to be saying that they're expecting the vehicle access
to be big enough to turn a vehicle around on it. The neighbouring
houses all have narrower gardens, being terraced, and one actually has
a picasso parked on it, which pretty much takes up all the available
space when its parked on there, never mind being able to turn it!

Of all the houses, ours has the widest garden, but on account of a bay
window, it's not as deep. On account of this, our intention is to buy
a super-mini, which would actually be small enough to turn on the
parking space in front of the house.

Anyone had experience of this specific objections to a dropped kerb?

No experience of planning permission refusal but ISTR that there ws an
episode of Property Ladder where they showed a turntable as a solution
to parking problems. Cottage near Ross-on-Wye IIRC.

Andrew