Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock Brian Sharrock is offline

Default dropped kerb / offroad parking : planning permission (and refusal!)

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Roger Mills presented the following explanation :
I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if
you drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know
whether it's true - but it would be worth checking.

--

That is true as is parking part on a kerb, but both laws are widely
ignored. In our street only one house in ten with a drive has a legal

In your situation - I would check around to see how many others on your
street have a proper dropped kerb and if several have got away with it -
just create a drive without one.

I think legally there is the advantage with a legal dropped kerb that if
someone parks across the entrance the obstruction law will more likely be
enforced.

--

Regards,
Harry

IANAL: AIUI, it's an _absolute_ offense to 'drive on the pavement'.

A ' proper dropped kerb' off the council will include a legal 'Easement'
permitting vehicles to be driven from the Public Highway -across the
Counicil;s pavement - onto your property.

--

Brian