Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default dropped kerb / offroad parking : planning permission (and refusal!)

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Roger Mills presented the following explanation :
I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if
you drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know
whether it's true - but it would be worth checking.

--

That is true as is parking part on a kerb, ....

In the absence of any waiting restrictions or local bye-laws, there is
nothing inherently illegal about parking on the pavement. It is, however,
usually quite difficult to do that without driving on it, which is illegal.

I think legally there is the advantage with a legal dropped kerb that if
someone parks across the entrance the obstruction law will more likely be
enforced.

More important, you can apply for a white line entrance marking, which is
surprisingly effective at stopping people from doing so.

Colin Bignell