s--p--o--n--i--x

Default Dropped kerb pricing

Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

sPoNiX
Broadback

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

sPoNiX

Where I now live, and under a different council previously, only the
council permitted themselves to do the work, it was rather expensive,
several hundred £, but no choice.
Colin

"Broadback" wrote in message
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

sPoNiX

Where I now live, and under a different council previously, only the
council permitted themselves to do the work, it was rather expensive,
several hundred £, but no choice.

Id love a cheap method .....coucil quoted me between 800 and 1000 squids!

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

sPoNiX

My local council were doing a "special offer" a while back - they were
charging around £250. I suppose the price was so low because they had
pre-booked so many to do at one time.

Worth asking your council in case they intend to do something similar.

Si

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:00:01 GMT, "Colin"
wrote:

Where I now live, and under a different council previously, only the
council permitted themselves to do the work, it was rather expensive,
several hundred £, but no choice.

Id love a cheap method .....coucil quoted me between 800 and 1000 squids!

They have quoted me about the same, however Google throws up various
people hwo have had it done for £250-£450.

I could get a contractor in to do it but they need to be licenced by
the council so would be well aware what the council charge and would
quote accordingly!

sPoNiX

Do you not also need to get planning permission for a dropped curb?

Andy R

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

I had it done the same time as a planned footpath resurface and they only
charged £75. Find out from the council when the next planned footpath
resuface is and if it's ages in the future get some lorry drivers to park on
the path and damage it then complain to the council about the state of the
paths.

Rgds

Andy R

Paul King

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

I've recently (this month) had a quote of £661 for 2.7 metres of dropped
kerb from my local council. Needless to say, it isn't gonna be done this
close to christmas, and the quotation is only valid for 28 days! So, if I
want it done, I'll have to go through the whole
application/surveying/quotation process again...

Broadback

Paul King wrote:
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

I've recently (this month) had a quote of £661 for 2.7 metres of dropped
kerb from my local council. Needless to say, it isn't gonna be done this
close to christmas, and the quotation is only valid for 28 days! So, if I
want it done, I'll have to go through the whole
application/surveying/quotation process again...

I wonder if this would work. If you already have a gateway onto your
property apply for wheelchair access. My neighbour has, and they
dropped the curb outside their house and on the pavement opposite. No
charge.
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:30:37 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I wonder if this would work. If you already have a gateway onto your
property apply for wheelchair access. My neighbour has, and they
dropped the curb outside their house and on the pavement opposite. No
charge.

Presumably someone in the family would need to be a wheelchair user?
David W.E. Roberts

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

sPoNiX

My mother-in-law just supplied the pavement resurfacers with loads of tea
and biscuits for a few days.

They dropped the kerb for her (at their suggestion) for free.

Doubt the council has even noticed.

Drive had been previously created and accessed over an undropped kerb.

So you could just create your drive and put up with the 'bump' as you go
over the kerb then (if you are lucky) it will get dropped next time they
resurface the pavement.

Similarly, next door has just had their drive block paved and widened and
when the workmen came to do the pavement they just put in a wider dropped
kerb.

HTH

Dave R

dmc

In article ,
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

So you could just create your drive and put up with the 'bump' as you go
over the kerb then (if you are lucky) it will get dropped next time they
resurface the pavement.

This is what the previous owners of our house had been doing - a couple of
months after we moved in we got a letter from the council telling us to
stop or face legal action.

Several others in the street got the same.

When I questioned them for a price I seem to remember 650 quid being
suggested (about 6 years ago). Neighbour recently looked into it again
and I think he said they now want nearly 1200 quid. This is in folkestone.

Darren - still parking on the street

RichardS

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

sPoNiX

My mother-in-law just supplied the pavement resurfacers with loads of tea
and biscuits for a few days.

They dropped the kerb for her (at their suggestion) for free.

Doubt the council has even noticed.

Drive had been previously created and accessed over an undropped kerb.

So you could just create your drive and put up with the 'bump' as you go
over the kerb then (if you are lucky) it will get dropped next time they
resurface the pavement.

Similarly, next door has just had their drive block paved and widened and
when the workmen came to do the pavement they just put in a wider dropped
kerb.

Leaves yourself somewhat open to being blocked in by a car legitimately
parked in the street, though, and without a legit bona fide dropped kerb and
access there might not be an awful lot that you can do about it.

All depends upon the particular area, I suppose, it'd be a 100% dead cert to
happen round here.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Morten

"Owain" wrote in message

Many LAs will do a dropped kerb at a subsidised price if it's to provide
access for a wheelchair user.

And the funny thing is that by providing acces to a single dwelling via a
dropped kerb, they effectively prevents everyone else from using the
pavement when passing that said dropped kerb, including other wheelchair
users that want to pass that dwelling.

I've always hated the way the kerbs are dropped here in UK, it makes for a
very uneven (low maintenance aside) pavement that is hell for anyone with
wheels (and no I don't care if bicycles are affected, they should be on the
f... road not on the pavement) like baby trolleys, shopping trolleys,
wheelchair users or even worse: people who have to use walking sticks or
crutches. Even for normal people they (the dropped kerb) are a severe
nuisance and should be banned...

What's wrong with small ramps on the road onto the pavement, thay works
everywhere else but UK?

/Morten

---

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:06:28 -0000, "RichardS" noone@invalid wrote:

Leaves yourself somewhat open to being blocked in by a car legitimately
parked in the street, though, and without a legit bona fide dropped kerb and
access there might not be an awful lot that you can do about it.

All depends upon the particular area, I suppose, it'd be a 100% dead cert to
happen round here.

That's the problem...I want a dropped kerb because parking spaces are
in short supply. An unofficfial droped kerb is 100% likely to get
blocked.
Rick Hughes

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

sPoNiX

It is whatever the council will charge ... they either insist on them being
the supplier, or have an approved contractor who will work off their set
fee.

It will also put up the RV of your house.

nog

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:23:25 GMT, s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

Has anyone had a dropped kerb installed? If so how much did it cost?

I'm looking at a 4.5m dropped kerb. The quote I have had seems awfully
high.

Some years ago, we had ours done for nowt. The whole road (a minor
thoroughfare) was re-curbed and re-surfaced so the new kerb was lowered as
a matter or course.