Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default dropped kerb / offroad parking : planning permission (and refusal!)

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Mitch wrote:

Even if you get it agreed our local council quoted me £800 just to
lower the kerb - I figured its cheaper to lay the drive and leave the
kerb as is - been working for me for 5 years no probs!

I have heard it claimed (here, I think) that you are breaking the law if
you drive over a footpath which *doesn't* have a dropped kerb. Don't know
whether it's true - but it would be worth checking.

The primary legislation is Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835, which
prohibits driving on that part of the highway set aside for the use of
pedestrians. There are also provisions in the Road Traffic Acts that apply.
Proper authority for a dropped kerb includes permission under the relevant
legislation to cross the footway for the purpose of access.

Colin Bignell