Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dropped kerb / offroad parking : planning permission (and refusal!)

Maurice W wrote:
On 13 Oct 2007 12:04:09 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter
*and* leave in a forwards direction. Failure to have an approved
dropped kerb can lead to criminal charges, and if it's an unapproved
one (as opposed to none) and someone is injured on it, the owner
will be liable.

I'm bemused as to how six neighbouring houses have gotted dropped kerb
permission - they've got even narrower gardens with no way of doing
any kind of manouvering.

Write to the couincils asking why & citing the freedom of information act.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Maurice W" wrote in message
On 13 Oct 2007 12:04:09 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter *and*
leave in a forwards direction. Failure to have an approved dropped kerb
can lead to criminal charges, and if it's an unapproved one (as opposed
to none) and someone is injured on it, the owner will be liable.

I'm bemused as to how six neighbouring houses have gotted dropped kerb
permission - they've got even narrower gardens with no way of doing
any kind of manouvering.

"Grandfather Rights"? They were probably installed _before_ the new-ish
requirement of 'driving in and out in a forward gear was introduced. What
they've got is irrelevant to want you want to do _now_.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
After serious thinking Mary Fisher wrote :
I can't understand why anybody drives into a drive in the first place.
It's easier to reverse in and drive out.

I might have missed something of course ...

Some, like me, might have a good reason for driving nose in - I have a
garage and the obvious way might be to have the bonnet/engine near the
working (tools and workbench) end of the garage.

That's an excellent reason for driving nose in - but surely no car needs
such attention after every trip?

When we had a garage (as opposed to a workshop!) the car was always reversed
in unless for maintenance.

Come to think of it, the pit's still there ... wonder what's in it?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

More important, you can apply for a white line entrance marking, which
is surprisingly effective at stopping people from doing so.

That's an idea - how does one go about it?

There is nothing illegal about painting road markings that do not require
a Traffic Order and that comply with the Road Signs Regulations and
General Directions, so I did it by painting one with factory floor lining
equipment. When they resurfaced the road, the contractors replaced it with
a pukka one. However, I think the right way is to apply to the local
authority Highways Department. Last I heard, the cost was about £60.

Hmm. I think we'll continue being known as the miserable Fishers who won't
let anyone park outside their drive - it works :-)

Thanks for that,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Maurice W wrote:
On 13 Oct 2007 12:04:09 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Yes...councils will refuse on the grounds that you have to enter
*and* leave in a forwards direction. Failure to have an approved
dropped kerb can lead to criminal charges, and if it's an unapproved
one (as opposed to none) and someone is injured on it, the owner
will be liable.

I'm bemused as to how six neighbouring houses have gotted dropped kerb
permission - they've got even narrower gardens with no way of doing
any kind of manouvering.

Write to the couincils asking why & citing the freedom of information act.

Yes but not if it is breaching confidentiality!!

was Dropped Kerb now : Pedestrian Visibility Splay Maurice W UK diy 14 July 18th 07 05:57 PM
dropped kerb Maurice W UK diy 9 July 13th 07 11:38 PM
Dropped kerb John UK diy 20 April 25th 07 05:56 PM
Dropped kerb pricing s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 19 January 1st 05 06:27 PM
Refusal of planning permission... what next? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 12 November 24th 04 12:42 PM