Dave

Default Grrrrr B&Q Grrrrrr

Earlier this year I bought a 14.4V PPro drill, the bearings are starting
to get loose and the chuck is a bit wobbly so I decided to take it back
under the 3 year warranty and get a replacement. Unfortunately I
couldn't find the receipt but assumed that this wouldn't be a problem
because it was obviously not very old and seemed to have a date code on
the base of the drill body.

I'd expected them to apologise for my inconvenience and deal with it in
a couple of minutes to get a satisfied customer and move to the next
management issue, instead we spent about an hour trying to find my
transaction in their system - to cut a long story short they refused to
take it back without the receipt. They turned a minor quality problem
into a thoroughly p*ssed off dissatisfied customer.

I'll write to their head office (anyone know the names of the senior
managers?) but what are my rights?

Dave
Vass

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure you don't actually need the receipt if you can prove you bought it
there
some other way, credti card statement for example ?
--
Vass

Mr Fizzion

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:24:15 +0000 (UTC), Dave
wrote:

[...]

You have certain rights under the sale of goods act but you'd be
better asking in uk.legal or searching the google archives of that
group.

Mr F.

Dave

Vass wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

It was bought with a pile of other stuff so unfortunately a statement
isn't going to show the appropriate amount.

Dave
s--p--o--n--i--x

wrote:

[...]

All you have to do is prove when and where you bought it.

As PPro is exclusive to B&Q then there is no dispute that B&Q sold it.
As the tool also has a date code on it you can prove that it must have
been sold after that date.

I'd write to B&Q pointing out the above, also stating that whilst you
have been loyal to B&Q for a long time you'll be shopping at Wickes
from now on.

Hopefully, it'll bring a favourable response.

sponix

AlexW

Dave wrote:
[...]

Maybe try a few more branches of B&Q, IME someone will give in, and its
more immediate than letters...

HTH,

Alex.

Dave wrote:

I'd expected them to apologise for my inconvenience and deal with it in
a couple of minutes to get a satisfied customer and move to the next
management issue, instead we spent about an hour trying to find my
transaction in their system - to cut a long story short they refused to
take it back without the receipt. They turned a minor quality problem
into a thoroughly p*ssed off dissatisfied customer.

I'd expect any shop to tell me to **** off if I didn't have a receipt.

That's why I keep the receipt taped inside the original box in the loft
for anything high value/with a warranty/likely to go wrong (i.e
electromechanical)

Keep better records.

Cheers

Paul.

John Rumm

Dave wrote:

It was bought with a pile of other stuff so unfortunately a statement
isn't going to show the appropriate amount.

Where else could you have bought a PPoo drill anyway?

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle

- to cut a long story short they refused to take it back without the
receipt. They turned a minor quality problem into a thoroughly
p*ssed off dissatisfied customer.

Try again when the pillock isn't on duty. They're normally very good at B&Q
returns. I've never been required to produce the receipt, provided I'm
willing to accept vouchers or replacement.

Christian.

Tony Bryer

In article , S--p--o--n--i--x
wrote:
As PPro is exclusive to B&Q then there is no dispute that B&Q sold
it. As the tool also has a date code on it you can prove that it
must have been sold after that date.

It doesn't prove that he bought it though. Ebay current shows up 92
items if you enter Performance Pro and the one I looked at was a
refurbed return - they are presumably taking them off B&Q and fixing
them.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article , S--p--o--n--i--x
wrote:
As PPro is exclusive to B&Q then there is no dispute that B&Q sold
it. As the tool also has a date code on it you can prove that it
must have been sold after that date.

It doesn't prove that he bought it though. Ebay current shows up 92
items if you enter Performance Pro and the one I looked at was a
refurbed return - they are presumably taking them off B&Q and fixing
them.

True but I think they are debadged ones but it could also be nicked.
Not that I'm saying Dave nicked it but it's a possibility to a retailer.

Paul

Christian McArdle wrote:
- to cut a long story short they refused to take it back without the
receipt. They turned a minor quality problem into a thoroughly
p*ssed off dissatisfied customer.

Try again when the pillock isn't on duty. They're normally very good at B&Q
returns. I've never been required to produce the receipt, provided I'm
willing to accept vouchers or replacement.

Christian.

Same experience here. I have been know to take stuff back other people
have disposed of because it broken and that shouldn't matter either its
the product that guaranteed not the receipt.

Paul

John Schmitt

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:08:09 +0100, Paul wrote:

Same experience here. I have been know to take stuff back other people
have disposed of because it broken and that shouldn't matter either its
the product that guaranteed not the receipt.

More to the point, as I point out in one of my FAQs, one of the good
things is that under EU regulation, the statutory warranty is *two* years.
One of the ueful things to come out of Brussels.

John Schmitt

Christian McArdle

Same experience here. I have been know to take stuff back other people
have disposed of because it broken and that shouldn't matter either its
the product that guaranteed not the receipt.

But the Sales of Goods Act applies only to the original purchaser, as it is
based on the implied or explicit contract of sale.

Whether a separate manufacturer's guarantee is transferrable to a new owner
is up to them, as is any conditions attaching to receipts, etc.

Christian.

Alex

Kalico wrote:
Here here. It's unfortunate, but I think they only have a legal
obligation to take it back if you have the reciept.

Receipt or other "proof of purchase".

alex

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

It was bought with a pile of other stuff so unfortunately a statement
isn't going to show the appropriate amount.

Where else could you have bought a PPoo drill anyway?

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Off a mate, from a car boot sale, ect.
He has to have the receipt, no matter where or what he does for an exchange
of drill.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Tony Hogarty

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:51:04 +0100, Alex wrote:

Receipt or other "proof of purchase".

Neither of which the OP has. At the end of the day he is relying on the
goodwill of B&Q to take this back.

--
Regards
Tony

Paul

Alex wrote:
Kalico wrote:

Here here. It's unfortunate, but I think they only have a legal
obligation to take it back if you have the reciept.

Receipt or other "proof of purchase".

alex

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm

see question 7

Paul
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Paul wrote:
Alex wrote:
Kalico wrote:

Here here. It's unfortunate, but I think they only have a legal
obligation to take it back if you have the reciept.

Receipt or other "proof of purchase".

alex

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm

see question 7

Paul

But that only applies if he payed via cheque,credit card, ect.
If he payed with cash then he's up the creek.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Dave

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Paul wrote:

Alex wrote:

Kalico wrote:

Here here. It's unfortunate, but I think they only have a legal
obligation to take it back if you have the reciept.

Receipt or other "proof of purchase".

alex

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm

see question 7

Paul

But that only applies if he payed via cheque,credit card, ect.
If he payed with cash then he's up the creek.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

"He" paid by CC but with several other things at the same time,
therefore the CC bill doesn't show the price of the drill.

Dave
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Paul wrote:

Alex wrote:

Kalico wrote:

Here here. It's unfortunate, but I think they only have a legal
obligation to take it back if you have the reciept.

Receipt or other "proof of purchase".

alex

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm

see question 7

Paul

But that only applies if he payed via cheque,credit card, ect.
If he payed with cash then he's up the creek.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

"He" paid by CC but with several other things at the same time,
therefore the CC bill doesn't show the price of the drill.

Dave

There is a way round it and thats buy another drill with receipt a month
later take the old drill back and demand a full refund. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Lobster

AlexW wrote:
Dave wrote:

Earlier this year I bought a 14.4V PPro drill, the bearings are
starting to get loose and the chuck is a bit wobbly so I decided to
take it back under the 3 year warranty and get a replacement.
Unfortunately I couldn't find the receipt but assumed that this
wouldn't be a problem because it was obviously not very old and seemed
to have a date code on the base of the drill body.

Maybe try a few more branches of B&Q, IME someone will give in, and its
more immediate than letters...

Just go back to the same B&Q when there's somebody else on the till and
try again. They are normally extremely helpful IME over this sort of
thing; you probably just got somebody on a bad day.

David
Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

As the drill was used and they can't put it back on the shelf, they need to
know if it is within the 3 years to change it. I see nothing wrong with
that. It could be 4 years old.

Doctor Drivel

"Lobster" wrote in message
AlexW wrote:
Dave wrote:

Earlier this year I bought a 14.4V PPro drill, the bearings are
starting to get loose and the chuck is a bit wobbly so I decided to
take it back under the 3 year warranty and get a replacement.
Unfortunately I couldn't find the receipt but assumed that this
wouldn't be a problem because it was obviously not very old and seemed
to have a date code on the base of the drill body.

Maybe try a few more branches of B&Q, IME someone will give in, and its
more immediate than letters...

Just go back to the same B&Q when there's somebody else on the till and
try again. They are normally extremely helpful IME over this sort of
thing; you probably just got somebody on a bad day.

My sister took back a PP hammer drill that failed (he misused it really)
without a receipt and they just changed it without any hassle. It was in
the original box and she cleaned it up.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Lobster wrote:
AlexW wrote:
Dave wrote:

Earlier this year I bought a 14.4V PPro drill, the bearings are
starting to get loose and the chuck is a bit wobbly so I decided to
take it back under the 3 year warranty and get a replacement.
Unfortunately I couldn't find the receipt but assumed that this
wouldn't be a problem because it was obviously not very old and
seemed to have a date code on the base of the drill body.

Maybe try a few more branches of B&Q, IME someone will give in, and
its more immediate than letters...

Just go back to the same B&Q when there's somebody else on the till
and try again. They are normally extremely helpful IME over this
sort of thing; you probably just got somebody on a bad day.

David

Don't they have a returns kiosk in B&Q? i wouldn't know as I've never been
to a B&Q.
I do know that 2 of my local sheds have these kiosk just inside entrance to
the sheds solely for the purpose of returns of faulty goods and the same
personell are manning it.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Rob Morley

In article , John49
@mdx.ac.uk says...
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:08:09 +0100, Paul wrote:

Same experience here. I have been know to take stuff back other people
have disposed of because it broken and that shouldn't matter either its
the product that guaranteed not the receipt.

More to the point, as I point out in one of my FAQs, one of the good
things is that under EU regulation, the statutory warranty is *two* years.
One of the ueful things to come out of Brussels.

Except there isn't a "statutory warranty period". A purchased item
should last as long as it can reasonably be expected to last - if it
fails within six months of purchase it is assumed to be faulty unless
the supplier can prove otherwise, after six months it's up to the buyer
to prove fault. There is a statutory limit to the time within which a
claim can be made (6 years in the UK) but that's all.
Dave

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Dave wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Paul wrote:

Alex wrote:

Kalico wrote:

Here here. It's unfortunate, but I think they only have a legal
obligation to take it back if you have the reciept.

Receipt or other "proof of purchase".

alex

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm

see question 7

Paul

But that only applies if he payed via cheque,credit card, ect.
If he payed with cash then he's up the creek.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

"He" paid by CC but with several other things at the same time,
therefore the CC bill doesn't show the price of the drill.

Dave

There is a way round it and thats buy another drill with receipt a month
later take the old drill back and demand a full refund. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ!)
I suggested that to the guy in B&Q last night, he didn't see the irony
and just said "but it wouldn't be the same drill" ... it would be sad if
it weren't so %^&* annoying.

Dave
Kevin

This implies that you do have a statement which shows a purchase for a
greater value of goods than the cost of the drill. If this is the case
then take this and ask again for your replacement product. You may not
be able to prove that this was the transaction on which you purchased
the drill but equally they cannot prove that you didn't and you have
made reaonable efforts to provide them with the proof they have asked
for. The fact that you are not asking for a refund usually makes these
things easier. I agree with other comments here, you were unlucky with
the individual you were dealing with and on a different day you
probably would have got a replacement without any hassle.

Dave

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

The guy said it had been on sale for more than 2 years - if it was more
than 2 years old it would have to be "sent back" rather than replaced.
When I pointed-out the "07/04" stamped on the bottom of the drill
housing he insisted that it wasn't a date code.

Dave

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Dave wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Paul wrote:

Alex wrote:

Kalico wrote:

[...]

I knew a bloke that would go to great lenght's if he did not get
satisfaction in returning faulty goods.

His latest was a 'power washer', he like you never retained the receipt so
he went and bought another 'power washer' from the same store took it home
dismantled it and changed the damaged drum(which had cracked at one of the
seams) put it back together with the old drum in the new 'power washer' and
took it back 2 months later demanding a full refund as he told the store
returns bloke that it was the second 'power washer' he'd bought from the
shed and it was giving him the same fault as the one he'd bought 11 months
ago.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John Schmitt

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:01:51 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

Except there isn't a "statutory warranty period". A purchased item
should last as long as it can reasonably be expected to last - if it
fails within six months of purchase it is assumed to be faulty unless
the supplier can prove otherwise, after six months it's up to the buyer
to prove fault. There is a statutory limit to the time within which a
claim can be made (6 years in the UK) but that's all.

This draft has been ratified. Make of it what you will.

http://europa.eu.int/abc/doc/off/bul...04/p102148.htm

http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressRele...guiLanguage=en

Means that you might have to take it to Brussels, but you have little risk
of that. A supplier dare not get such a case in the national press.

John Schmitt

Mathew Newton

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I'd expect any shop to tell me to **** off if I didn't have a receipt.

That's why I keep the receipt taped inside the original box in the
loft for anything high value/with a warranty/likely to go wrong (i.e
electromechanical)

Keep better records.

Cheers

Paul.

Yep! and after the warrenty period they can be disposed of.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Why only to the end of the warranty period? Better to keep them for as
long as the goods would be 'reasonably' expected to last. Don't be
fooled into thinking that after the warranty has expired you've got no
comeback...

Of course, a receipt is not essential for this sort of thing but, as is
clear from this discussion, it certainly helps with any battle.

Mathew

Mathew Newton

Christian McArdle wrote:
- to cut a long story short they refused to take it back without the
receipt. They turned a minor quality problem into a thoroughly
p*ssed off dissatisfied customer.

Try again when the pillock isn't on duty. They're normally very good at B&Q
returns. I've never been required to produce the receipt, provided I'm
willing to accept vouchers or replacement.

Christian.

Waiting until the busiest times at the weekend can also help - the last
thing the poor guy on returns wants to do is argue the particulars of
what's right and wrong. I've found in these circumstances they're more
concerned with keeping the queue length (not to mention their own
stress levels) down rather than arguing interpretations of the SOGA in
front of a crowd.

Mathew

dennis@home

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
o.uk...
John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

It was bought with a pile of other stuff so unfortunately a statement
isn't going to show the appropriate amount.

Where else could you have bought a PPoo drill anyway?

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Off a mate, from a car boot sale, ect.
He has to have the receipt, no matter where or what he does for an
exchange
of drill.

Not according to UK law he doesn't.
All he needs is proof.

Do B&Q Deliver? Jim UK diy 30 October 14th 05 09:11 PM
B&Q - My part in its downfall... Richard Conway UK diy 18 October 11th 05 12:40 PM
B&Q Cable clearance fred UK diy 5 October 10th 05 11:17 PM
Anti-gloat and a big GRRRRRR! Kevin Craig Woodworking 39 September 30th 04 12:20 PM
Help! Insufficient head for modern taps grrrrr :@ [UK]CuteSpunkyLad UK diy 6 September 3rd 03 10:01 AM