John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

I have a few options. a) Fit the next size up of gas meter. The 1" pipe
can stay, as a 1" pipe can deliver more than 6 cubic metres as the
small domestic meter is restricted to. With a large meter I could fit a

What will transco charge for that? Will the supplier be happy to keep
you on a domestic contract with a comercial meter?

I am to contact Transco soon. There is no such thing as a commercial
meter, only commercial tariffs.

combi to do the kitchen and utility room to not rob the Rinnai for flow
and pressure. b) Take on IMMs suggestion of having a flow switch in
the cold inlet pipe to the Rinnai. This is wired in series in the
boiler room thermostat circuit. When the Rinnai makes hot water the CH
boiler is switched off. I suppose like a combi sort of thing. As the
Rinnai fills baths quickly the CH should not be off for long.

I think I would want to see a second independant interlock on that. As
you describe it, you have a single point of failure on a safety critical
system. Should the flow switch fail (or more likely get sluggish) it
could result in a hob being extinguished etc.

IMM went on about U6 meters having an overload capability. That sounds
sensible. Any overload would be marginal. All appliances would have a
gas pipe back top the meter.

Cost? Rinnai about =A3850 and a Glow Worm combi is about =A3670. A total
of =A31520. That is very competitive to fill two baths or run two Tower
Shower continuously. And they save space and are easy to fit. It cost

I would not expect a small boiler + thermal store (for example) is going
to be much bigger than two boilers/multipoints

You have missed the point. The Rinnai will give the flow rate for ever.
With storage I would require an exceptionally large, expensive, space
consuming cylinder or thermal store. Storage will eventually run out,
an instant heater will not. It is the application, and finding the
appliances to suit, at the right cost, not having prejudices. The
Rinnai is brilliant at what it does. Storage is bursty. A lot of flow
for a short time, then nothing. The exception is the floor mounted
combis, which do both. High flows, then reverts to a combi when the
storage has run out. The best of both. Think hard about it. I did
because as I had to deliver. It really does focus the mind.

--
Cheers,

John.

/=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
http://www.internode.co.uk |
\=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Andy Hall

On 17 Sep 2005 02:29:13 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

he unvented cylinder is totally immersed within the
thermal store water. The heating is taken from the thermal store water.
The heat exchanger runs right through the centre of the two tanks.

The DHW enters into a coil right at the bottom of the cylinder and then
fills the unvented cylinder at the top after leaving the coil. I think
this is to keep the bottom cool for the condensing part.

The 37 minutes recovery is from cold to 80 centigrade. It will always
give 15 litres per minute minimum. In less than 17 minutes a full bath
could be drawn off (half the 38 litre for 10 minutes, which is 190
litres). If the bath is 125 litres then about 12 minutes or so, 10
minutes or les if replying on the 15 litres per minutes to finish off
at the end of the fill.

This is assuming that that is indeed what the product does. The spec.
is not clear on this point at all.

The spec is very clear.

The spec. is *not* clear on the point of the size of the store at all.

his thing looks very impressive to me and
performs better than a separate cylinder, and cheaper as well.

Untrue.

I have looked at the specs, it performs better.

Nonsense. You don't have figures for a separate cylinder. Since it
is possible to design a storage system component by component, it is
possible to achieve virtually whatever performance is wanted.

35 KW
Viessmann, or ACV boiler, a tank in tank and the controls to deliver
380 litres in 10 minutes costs more than the Heatmaster and takes up
far more space and time to connect up.

There are many alternatives using a cylinder or thermal store that are
quite easy to connect up and do not take up more usable space.

I looked at a megaflow and they were around £1.5K with all the valves
attached, then I would have to buy a top quality boiler around 30 kiloW
pushing it up to well over £2K. I may as well buy a Viessmann,
Gledhill or ACV floor mounted combi and save money, hassle and lots of
space.

Except that it doesn't save any usable space at all. The thing is
larger than the footprint of a washing machine and taller as well.
It's also larger than a domestic cylinder footprint.

am into delivering flows to at
least 1 bathroom and en-suite, more usually two full bathrooms, and
this baby delivers without any fuss and all in one box which is easy to
connect up.

I can see why you would find it attractive.

Read above and read the specs.

I have. The critical information is missing, and the manufacturer
feels that the product is light in weight which it isn't.

I am not as easily impressed as you are.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I don't follow fashion. I just give people what they want to a high
quality. Quality sells.

Maybe to an innocent doing a first time purchase.

Quality sells to anyone. Only the naive, or peopel who only see the
bottom line, can't see it.

What you seem to
recommend wouldn't suit me.

OK, you don't like quality.

I value performance above style.

I give both. I guarantee the houses for a year, and this is a great
selling point and sells the houses fast. If anything is wrong I fix it.
I have have had few call backs, with most being misunderstandings.

But try to
combine both. But then my job is a sound engineer, and much of the so
called quality equipment sells on looks, not sound.

I can't comment on the sound field, only what I know about houses, and
what people want and sells, in north and north west London in the past
7 years.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Hall

On 17 Sep 2005 02:44:41 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:45:35 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Please do refer to my other post. The time is not unspecified, it is
clearly 10 minutes. It will fill a 380 litre bath in 10 minutes and a
normal bath in a few minutes.

That is not what they explicitly say in the spec.

They give the rate per 10 minutes which is not the same and it cannot
be continuous.

As far as I interpret the figures it is saying (at delta 35):

38lpm for 10 minutes from full store to depleted.
18lpm for 60 minutes from full store to depleted.
15lpm continuous.

With a 37 minute recovery.

In which case, I would conclude (and from the casing dimensions) that it has
a very sizeable store. Assuming it is essentially a heatbank, I'd guess
(10*(38-15)) * (35 / 70) = 115L (assuming heat store at 75C, incoming mains
at 5C), plus a few litres for inefficiency, which is essentially a standard
450x900 cylinder. Indeed, it sounds so like it, it probably is it.

This is a reasonable conclusion. My point about this product is that
the manufacturer obfuscates this information and quotes from the best
case conditions.

Christian is assuming and assumed wrong. As Christian has pointed out,
they are underselling the product. I see no lies or clouding of
information, as ACV are a reputable commercial manufacturer.

I didn't say that lies were being told. However, important
information is missing from the specifications and there is
considerable license in the brochure.

They don't
sell to B&Q.

That's neither here nor there.

The only spoiler is the quoted 37 minute recovery.

This is disappointing.

It "never" delivers less than 15 litres per minute at any time, which
is great for showers.

Untrue. That would assume a temperature increase of 35 degrees. The
throughput would be less if a higher temperature than 40 degrees were
required in the winter.

There is nothing worse than being in a shower and
the water runs cold.

I agree. With a properly specified storage system as opposed to a
compromise box, it is easily possible to have a plentiful supply.

The 37 minutes recovery is to take it back to
delivering two baths simultaneously.

Meaningless statement unless you specify the flow rate entailed by
that.

As I have pointed out, wait about
8 or 10 minutes and the average bath will be filled in a few minutes.

You would need to define the term "average bath" for that statement to
be meaingful.

And it also does the CH as well, and of RR stainless steel quality.

It has components made from stainless steel. I couldn't see the
grade specified.

You
are in effect saying a Ravenheat and a cheap Screwfix tank and cylinder
is superior.

I'm not saying that at all. However, it is possible to design a
proper storage system from high quality components and to exceed the
performance of the ACV product comfortably. I know because I've done
it.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

David wrote:
In article .com,
writes

Andy Hall wrote:
On 16 Sep 2005 07:57:15 -0700,
wrote:

I agree with you. I have never renovated a period property.

It's probably best that you don't.

About the only sensible thing you have said on this thread.

If I did I
would install fitments to compliment the d=E9cor. It is logical as it
would get the asking price and hopefully sell quickly. I would be wea=

ry
of such properties as I don't fully understand that market and may
get bitten.

The objective of restoring period properties is not just about making
a quick buck.

Anything old, antiques and all that, is exactly about making quick
bucks. Rennovating to high quality is not. It is about quality and
giving the buyers what they want, which is clean modern designs in 90%
of cases.

Most housebuilders give this

Most do not at all. 50% of all new homes still have tanks and
cylinders taking up the airing cupboard and gravity showers. My buyers
would not tolerate such poor performance and clutter.

and most of them build crap houses that
look good spec wise.

Soem are crap, yet some are quite decent. You can't generalise.

I think you're mixing ideals here, its easy to
dress something up to sell but that doesn't mean the "discerning" buyer
has got something that works for them, many crap products are sold by
using glossy brochures, clever specs and salesmanship,

They look around and see what they are getting. The good points are
pointed out to them: Tower Showers at high pressure, boarded lofts with
shoot down ladders and lights up there. Downlighters, fully equipped
and modern kitchens, fully equipped and modern bathrooms, laminated
floors, conservatories, rewired, repiped, and the rest.

I think you give
you're buyers too much credit, most housebuyers make their decision long
before they have checked that there are mixer taps and "state of the
art" water heating systems.

These are not new homes, they are oldish houses renovated. I "never"
underestimate the buyers. Firstly function. The showers, baths and CH
have to perform. Enough sockets about. double glazing, washing machines
piped in and the same with dishwashers, lots of space. Then form,
decor, modern kitchen and utility room (could be function as well) and
bathroom and en-suite (essential these days), which must have modern
mixers (modern bathroom taps and mixer sell as they exude quality, I
try to fit wall mounted side-on bath mixers), modern lighting which may
be downlighters or wall lights on dimmers, no pipes or cables on show,
nice plain garden with broad leaf pot plants, quality door handles and
quality front door. =20

Just common sense.

--=20
David

wrote:

[...]

I looked at the installation manual. It is there.

They don't
sell to B&Q.

That's neither here or there.

You must get the point and the market the company is selling to.

The only spoiler is the quoted 37 minute recovery.

This is disappointing.

It "never" delivers less than 15 litres per minute at any time, which
is great for showers.

Untrue. That would assume a temperature increase of 35 degrees. The
throughput would be less if a higher temperature than 40 degrees were
required in the winter.

The makers say it doesn't go below 15 litres, so do the dealers who I
spoke to who deal with many makers products, not only ACV. I prefer to
believe them rather than a confused internet nerd.

There is nothing worse than being in a shower and
the water runs cold.

I agree. With a properly specified storage system as opposed to a
compromise box, it is easily possible to have a plentiful supply.

I see no compromise at all. It is the best of all worlds. Please read
the manual. 38 litres per minute is plentiful supply.

The 37 minutes recovery is to take it back to
delivering two baths simultaneously.

Meaningless statement unless you specify the flow rate entailed by
that.

I stated that.

As I have pointed out, wait about
8 or 10 minutes and the average bath will be filled in a few minutes.

You would need to define the term "average bath" for that statement to
be meaingful.

150 litres do you?

And it also does the CH as well, and of RR stainless steel quality.

It has components made from stainless steel. I couldn't see the
grade specified.

ACV are a renowned quality manufacturer, being the fist to use
stainless steel cylinders and tank in tanks. I think they know what
they are on about.

You
are in effect saying a Ravenheat and a cheap Screwfix tank and cylinder
is superior.

I'm not saying that at all.

You are, that is clear.

However, it is possible to design a
proper storage system from high quality components and to exceed the
performance of the ACV product comfortably. I know because I've done
it.

I doubt it very much in the size (very important), performance (it is a
combination of storage and a combi, so never runs out of hot water)
efficiency and price ACV have achieved. With all the space in the world
and a bottomless pit of money I could have 1000 litres per minute
filling a 500 litre bath. However, I live in the real world.

Andy Hall wrote:

he unvented cylinder is totally immersed within the
thermal store water. The heating is taken from the thermal store wate=

r=2E
[...]

It is very clear. Please look again.

his thing looks very impressive to me and
performs better than a separate cylinder, and cheaper as well.

Untrue.

I have looked at the specs, it performs better.

Nonsense. You don't have figures for a separate cylinder.

I compared it to the ACV Smart range of domestic cylinders, which have
the fastest recovery of any cylinder available..

Since it
is possible to design a storage system component by component, it is
possible to achieve virtually whatever performance is wanted.

If you have all the space in the world and a bottom les pit of money
then you are right. However, I live in the real world.

35 KW
Viessmann, or ACV boiler, a tank in tank and the controls to deliver
380 litres in 10 minutes costs more than the Heatmaster and takes up
far more space and time to connect up.

There are many alternatives using a cylinder or thermal store that are
quite easy to connect up and do not take up more usable space.

I looked at a megaflow and they were around =A31.5K with all the valves
attached, then I would have to buy a top quality boiler around 30 kiloW
pushing it up to well over =A32K. I may as well buy a Viessmann,
Gledhill or ACV floor mounted combi and save money, hassle and lots of
space.

Except that it doesn't save any usable space at all.

It does, that is why I have homed in on it.

The thing is
larger than the footprint of a washing machine and taller as well.
It's also larger than a domestic cylinder footprint.

About the same as a cylinder has valves hanging off it. There is no
separate boiler taking up space.

am into delivering flows to at
least 1 bathroom and en-suite, more usually two full bathrooms, and
this baby delivers without any fuss and all in one box which is easy =

connect up.

I can see why you would find it attractive.

Read above and read the specs.

I have.

You haven't that is clear.

The critical information is missing, and the manufacturer
feels that the product is light in weight which it isn't.

I am not as easily impressed as you are.

If you can "specifically" point out any misgivings by ACV I would
appreciate it, as I maybe in the market for one. The Scottish
Parliament has a number of them, so maybe you can out us all right. As
yet you have not. All you have done is assume. I am still open.
=20
=20
--=20
=20
.andy
=20
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall wrote:
On 16 Sep 2005 03:15:12 -0700, wrote:

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

snip
the combined flow. Single taps lower the price of a place.

Total crap, if there is either a separate shower enclosure or mixer
were is the need for mixer taps?

I wish all my buyers were as easy to please as you, as I would save a
fortune and put in cheap contractor materials.

This is complete nonsense.

You are gullible to the marketing wiles of form over function - a
marketeer's dream. Do you buy Lottery tickets?

It seems that you are trying address markets with an inappropriate mix
of products.

If you are trying to go for the market where appearance and *apparent*
function is the key, you might as well go for fancy gold mixer taps,
full body showers and all the rest of it and the cheapest combi you
can buy. You could copy the manufacturers of such boilers and put
into the estate agent spec that there is a two-bathroom hot water
system.

Don't bother about it not working properly.

There is little point in going for products such as the ACV because if
you just want to be able to be able to use the phrase "stainless
steel" as a selling point, there are cheaper ways to do it.
Then you have more money to spend on visual frippery like fancy gold
mixer taps.

Alternatively, if you are trying to go for the market where function
matters, you would be much better off going for a proper storage or
thermal store system using a stainless steel heat exchanger or a
boiler using a stainless steel heat exchanger. I suspect that this
is a minority part of the market, however.

Certainly a product like ACV will do a better job than a cheap and
nasty 11lpm combi. But what's the point? You can claim a two
bathroom solution from almost any piece of crap just by cutting and
pasting the brochures.

On the other hand, it falls way short of a proper storage solution of
either stored HW or a sensible capacity thermal store. Therefore you
lose out both ways. You are spending more than needed to provide a
cosmetic marketing solution but are falling short of doing the job
properly.

You really are confused.

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On 17 Sep 2005 13:43:19 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 02:29:13 -0700,
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

I have. It is not clear.

his thing looks very impressive to me and
performs better than a separate cylinder, and cheaper as well.

Untrue.

I have looked at the specs, it performs better.

Nonsense. You don't have figures for a separate cylinder.

I compared it to the ACV Smart range of domestic cylinders, which have
the fastest recovery of any cylinder available..

Says who?

Since it
is possible to design a storage system component by component, it is
possible to achieve virtually whatever performance is wanted.

If you have all the space in the world and a bottom les pit of money
then you are right. However, I live in the real world.

The thing is that it is possible to fit a better system than the ACV
box into about the same amount of usable space far more conveniently
and without needing a crane to do it.

I looked at a megaflow and they were around £1.5K with all the valves
attached, then I would have to buy a top quality boiler around 30 kiloW
pushing it up to well over £2K. I may as well buy a Viessmann,
Gledhill or ACV floor mounted combi and save money, hassle and lots of
space.

Except that it doesn't save any usable space at all.

It does, that is why I have homed in on it.

I said *usable* space.

The thing is
larger than the footprint of a washing machine and taller as well.
It's also larger than a domestic cylinder footprint.

About the same as a cylinder has valves hanging off it. There is no
separate boiler taking up space.

The difference is that a system boiler can be conveniently fitted in a
kitchen cupboard space, an airing cupboard or a loft. A cylinder can
be fitted into an airing cupboard or loft.

Your box of tricks is of a non-standard size and is extremely heavy.

am into delivering flows to at
least 1 bathroom and en-suite, more usually two full bathrooms, and
this baby delivers without any fuss and all in one box which is easy to
connect up.

I can see why you would find it attractive.

Read above and read the specs.

I have.

You haven't that is clear.

That sounds like a typical IMM phrase.

The critical information is missing, and the manufacturer
feels that the product is light in weight which it isn't.

I am not as easily impressed as you are.

If you can "specifically" point out any misgivings by ACV I would
appreciate it, as I maybe in the market for one.

I already have, several times, and I'm not going to repeat the very
obvious limitations. If you want to choose to ignore the
limitations, then that's up to you.

The Scottish
Parliament has a number of them, so maybe you can out us all right. As
yet you have not. All you have done is assume. I am still open.

WHat the Scottish Parliament has to do with any of this I have no
idea.

I haven't assumed anything. All I have done is to look at the
spec.sheets and brochures and have pointed out pieces that are missing
or glossed over.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Most do not at all. 50% of all new homes still have tanks and
cylinders taking up the airing cupboard and gravity showers. My buyers
would not tolerate such poor performance and clutter.

For a start I'd dispute this. Most new houses are built down to a price -
and costs certainly rule out a storage system. It's far cheaper to install
a combi.

But if this was the case, they're supplying performance - which your
preferred systems can't match. That your buyers have no clue says much
about them.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On 17 Sep 2005 13:30:55 -0700, wrote:

They don't
sell to B&Q.

That's neither here or there.

You must get the point and the market the company is selling to.

The gullible?

The only spoiler is the quoted 37 minute recovery.

This is disappointing.

It "never" delivers less than 15 litres per minute at any time, which
is great for showers.

Untrue. That would assume a temperature increase of 35 degrees. The
throughput would be less if a higher temperature than 40 degrees were
required in the winter.

The makers say it doesn't go below 15 litres, so do the dealers who I
spoke to who deal with many makers products, not only ACV. I prefer to
believe them rather than a confused internet nerd.

The only person confused here is you.

In the winter, the cold water temperature can easily be 5 degrees.
35kW will produce a 15lpm flow rate for a temperature rise of 35
degrees - i.e. an output temperature of 40 degrees.

Therefore if the required temperature is greater than 40 degrees, the
flow rate will have to be reduced.

If you wish to ignore the laws of physics then that is your choice,
but they won't change for your convenience.

There is nothing worse than being in a shower and
the water runs cold.

I agree. With a properly specified storage system as opposed to a
compromise box, it is easily possible to have a plentiful supply.

I see no compromise at all. It is the best of all worlds. Please read
the manual. 38 litres per minute is plentiful supply.

For a short time. There are compromises of size, weight, flow rate.

ACV are a renowned quality manufacturer, being the fist to use
stainless steel cylinders and tank in tanks. I think they know what
they are on about.

Presumably they tell you this in the brochure?

You
are in effect saying a Ravenheat and a cheap Screwfix tank and cylinder
is superior.

I'm not saying that at all.

You are, that is clear.

Please tell me where I did so.

However, it is possible to design a
proper storage system from high quality components and to exceed the
performance of the ACV product comfortably. I know because I've done
it.

I doubt it very much in the size (very important),

In terms of usable space, yes.

performance (it is a
combination of storage and a combi, so never runs out of hot water)

but the performance can quickly drop producing said hot water at a
trickle and take a long time to recover.

efficiency and price ACV have achieved.

The efficiency is nothing more than a typical condensing boiler and
within the margin of error of the SEDBUK database there is nothing to
choose between models.

With all the space in the world
and a bottomless pit of money I could have 1000 litres per minute
filling a 500 litre bath. However, I live in the real world.

Hmmmm.....

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 13:43:19 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 02:29:13 -0700,
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

It is Saturday night and back from the pub.

his thing looks very impressive to me and
performs better than a separate cylinder, and cheaper as well.

Untrue.

I have looked at the specs, it performs better.

Nonsense. You don't have figures for a separate cylinder.

I compared it to the ACV Smart range of domestic cylinders, which have
the fastest recovery of any cylinder available..

Says who?

Just about everyone. Tank in tanks have the fastest recovery rate of
any tanks.

Since it
is possible to design a storage system component by component, it is
possible to achieve virtually whatever performance is wanted.

If you have all the space in the world and a bottom les pit of money
then you are right. However, I live in the real world.

The thing is that it is possible to fit a better system than the ACV
box into about the same amount of usable space far more conveniently
and without needing a crane to do it.

I know of none. What system? I am eager to know.

I looked at a megaflow and they were around =A31.5K with all the valv=

es
attached, then I would have to buy a top quality boiler around 30 kil=

oW
pushing it up to well over =A32K. I may as well buy a Viessmann,
Gledhill or ACV floor mounted combi and save money, hassle and lots of
space.

Except that it doesn't save any usable space at all.

It does, that is why I have homed in on it.

I said *usable* space.

I know.

The thing is
larger than the footprint of a washing machine and taller as well.
It's also larger than a domestic cylinder footprint.

About the same as a cylinder has valves hanging off it. There is no
separate boiler taking up space.

The difference is that a system boiler can be conveniently fitted in a
kitchen cupboard space,

A kitchen? Are you kidding?

an airing cupboard or a loft.

Why have two when one can do it? There is no logic in that, only extra
expense, time and valuable space used up.

A cylinder can
be fitted into an airing cupboard or loft.

Why have two one one can do it cheaper.

Your box of tricks is of a non-standard size and is extremely heavy.

Standard size? It would not be fitting in a kitchen.

am into delivering flows to at
least 1 bathroom and en-suite, more usually two full bathrooms, and
this baby delivers without any fuss and all in one box which is ea=

sy to
connect up.

I can see why you would find it attractive.

Read above and read the specs.

I have.

You haven't that is clear.

That sounds like a typical IMM phrase.

He does impress.

The critical information is missing, and the manufacturer
feels that the product is light in weight which it isn't.

I am not as easily impressed as you are.

If you can "specifically" point out any misgivings by ACV I would
appreciate it, as I maybe in the market for one.

I already have, several times,

You have not at all. You have pointed out absolutely nothing. All you
have done is go on about separate boilers in kitchens and cylinders.

and I'm not going to repeat the very
obvious limitations. If you want to choose to ignore the
limitations, then that's up to you.

You haven't given any at all, except say a separate boiler and cylinder
can go in kitchens. Any data you gave was assumed and utter wrong.

The Scottish
Parliament has a number of them, so maybe you can out us all right. As
yet you have not. All you have done is assume. I am still open.

WHat the Scottish Parliament has to do with any of this I have no
idea.

They have a number of them. If they are inadequate I'm sure they would
like to know, as I would too.

I haven't assumed anything. All I have done is to look at the
spec.sheets and brochures and have pointed out pieces that are missing
or glossed over.

Look at the installation manual. You have assumed lots, and concluded
incorrectly.

The ACV for the price and its performance is matchless by other combis
and separate cylinder and boiler. To get a tank in tank cylinder,
controls and a 35 KW RR class boiler to deliver 380 litres in 10
minutes would cost far more than the ACV Heatmaster. Ever thought some
people might have looked into this? And have done for the past 7
years.

=20
=20
=20
=20
--=20
=20
.andy
=20
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Most do not at all. 50% of all new homes still have tanks and
cylinders taking up the airing cupboard and gravity showers. My buyers
would not tolerate such poor performance and clutter.

For a start I'd dispute this. Most new houses are built down to a price -
and costs certainly rule out a storage system. It's far cheaper to install
a combi.

The only combis I have seen in new houses are Powermaxes and Gledhill
Gulfsteams. Most have had cheap cylinders cluttering the airing
cupboards and boilers in the kitchen of all places. I have seem many
Megaflows which don't liberate space in the house, just eliminating a
tank and power shower pump.

But if this was the case, they're supplying performance - which your
preferred systems can't match. That your buyers have no clue says much
about them.

My viewers and buyers are mainly foreign, who expect high performance
from heating, baths, showers and top kitchens and well fitted
bathrooms. I can't speak for what goes in North Yorkshire.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Rumm

That sounds like a typical IMM phrase.

He does impress.

Ah bless....

You are talking to yourself again aren't you IMM.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article

.com,
wrote:
Most do not at all. 50% of all new homes still have tanks and
cylinders taking up the airing cupboard and gravity showers. My

buyers
would not tolerate such poor performance and clutter.

For a start I'd dispute this. Most new houses are built down to a

price -
and costs certainly rule out a storage system. It's far cheaper

to install
a combi.

The only combis I have seen in new houses are Powermaxes and

Gledhill
Gulfsteams. Most have had cheap cylinders cluttering the airing
cupboards

You point being what exactly, or do you expect people to run their CH
just to 'air' their clothing, having a HW tank in the airing cupbord
makes perfect sence.

and boilers in the kitchen of all places. I have seem many
Megaflows which don't liberate space in the house, just eliminating

tank and power shower pump.

So were do you place your Combi boilers, in the loft, garage,
outhouse, I suspect many would say that a boiler taking up the space
of one wall mounted cupboard is a small price to pay for convenience
of access (boilers always malfunction at the most inconvenient time).

But if this was the case, they're supplying performance - which

your
preferred systems can't match. That your buyers have no clue says

much
about them.

My viewers and buyers are mainly foreign, who expect high

performance
from heating, baths, showers and top kitchens and well fitted
bathrooms. I can't speak for what goes in North Yorkshire.

Nor can Dave I suspect, hint, read peoples sig' lines before placing
foot in mouth!...

Andy Hall

On 17 Sep 2005 16:35:28 -0700, wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Most do not at all. 50% of all new homes still have tanks and
cylinders taking up the airing cupboard and gravity showers. My buyers
would not tolerate such poor performance and clutter.

For a start I'd dispute this. Most new houses are built down to a price -
and costs certainly rule out a storage system. It's far cheaper to install
a combi.

The only combis I have seen in new houses are Powermaxes and Gledhill
Gulfsteams. Most have had cheap cylinders cluttering the airing
cupboards and boilers in the kitchen of all places.

So you are proposing fitting a box which is larger that a cylinder and
may well not fit into a typical airing cupboard. It certainly won't
fit into the standard kitchen footprints for appliances.

Therefore the conventional system makes a better use of space.

- The boiler can fit into a wall cupboard space rather than using up
more than an appliance floor footprint; or easily into a loft.

- A conventional cylinder is smaller than one of your box packages and
uses less space in a cupboard.

I have seem many
Megaflows which don't liberate space in the house, just eliminating a
tank and power shower pump.

But if this was the case, they're supplying performance - which your
preferred systems can't match. That your buyers have no clue says much
about them.

My viewers and buyers are mainly foreign, who expect high performance
from heating, baths, showers and top kitchens and well fitted
bathrooms.

... and who don't have the experience of anything to compare against.

I can't speak for what goes in North Yorkshire.

... or anywhere else outside a relatively limited market.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On 17 Sep 2005 16:26:18 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 13:43:19 -0700,
wrote:

The spec. is *not* clear on the point of the size of the store at all.

It is very clear. Please look again.

I have. It is not clear.

It is Saturday night and back from the pub.

Are you ?

his thing looks very impressive to me and
performs better than a separate cylinder, and cheaper as well.

Untrue.

I have looked at the specs, it performs better.

Nonsense. You don't have figures for a separate cylinder.

I compared it to the ACV Smart range of domestic cylinders, which have
the fastest recovery of any cylinder available..

Says who?

Just about everyone. Tank in tanks have the fastest recovery rate of
any tanks.

I'm fully aware of that, and it is fairly obvious as a result of the
heat exchange contact area.

I was asking for information confirming that the ACV Smart range is
the fastest recovery of any cylinder available as you have asserted.

Since it
is possible to design a storage system component by component, it is
possible to achieve virtually whatever performance is wanted.

If you have all the space in the world and a bottom les pit of money
then you are right. However, I live in the real world.

The thing is that it is possible to fit a better system than the ACV
box into about the same amount of usable space far more conveniently
and without needing a crane to do it.

I know of none. What system? I am eager to know.

Very simple. Fast recovery cylinder of storage capacity adequate for
the requirements under all conditions of water temperature and pattern
of use.

[...]

They do in mine. Are you buying kitchen furniture in funny places as
well or is your problem that you are renovating council flats?

an airing cupboard or a loft.

Why have two when one can do it? There is no logic in that, only extra
expense, time and valuable space used up.

There's every logic in it. By having separate components it is
possible to locate them easily in a whole variety of places
appropriate to the situation. If you have a single big box, you are
going to have to provision specially for it.

How do you expect to get a 670mm box weighing 170kg into a loft space?

A cylinder can
be fitted into an airing cupboard or loft.

Why have two one one can do it cheaper.

Because it's possible and can make more efficient use of space.

Your box of tricks is of a non-standard size and is extremely heavy.

Standard size? It would not be fitting in a kitchen.

So space from another room wood have to be found.....

am into delivering flows to at
least 1 bathroom and en-suite, more usually two full bathrooms, and
this baby delivers without any fuss and all in one box which is easy to
connect up.

I can see why you would find it attractive.

Read above and read the specs.

I have.

You haven't that is clear.

That sounds like a typical IMM phrase.

He does impress.

He might impress you, but you are in a minority of two, with him being
the other.

The critical information is missing, and the manufacturer
feels that the product is light in weight which it isn't.

I am not as easily impressed as you are.

If you can "specifically" point out any misgivings by ACV I would
appreciate it, as I maybe in the market for one.

I already have, several times,

You have not at all. You have pointed out absolutely nothing. All you
have done is go on about separate boilers in kitchens and cylinders.

I've made the shortcomings completely clear. The manufacturer avoids
these areas, understandably.

If you have managed to convince yourself, or allowed yourself to be
convinced by the marketing materials that this product meets your
needs, then you may not want to hear the negatives about it. That's
your prerogative, but it doesn't make the deficiencies go away.

and I'm not going to repeat the very
obvious limitations. If you want to choose to ignore the
limitations, then that's up to you.

You haven't given any at all, except say a separate boiler and cylinder
can go in kitchens. Any data you gave was assumed and utter wrong.

It isn't.

Take a look at the missing information and the issues of size and
weight.

The Scottish
Parliament has a number of them, so maybe you can out us all right. As
yet you have not. All you have done is assume. I am still open.

WHat the Scottish Parliament has to do with any of this I have no
idea.

They have a number of them. If they are inadequate I'm sure they would
like to know, as I would too.

Considering that the project was massively over budget and late, I
wouldn't treat anything or anybody involved in its construction as
being in any way reliable.

I haven't assumed anything. All I have done is to look at the
spec.sheets and brochures and have pointed out pieces that are missing
or glossed over.

Look at the installation manual. You have assumed lots, and concluded
incorrectly.

I haven't assumed anything, but simply pointed out the limitations
such as size and weight and highlighted what is missing.

The ACV for the price and its performance is matchless by other combis
and separate cylinder and boiler. To get a tank in tank cylinder,
controls and a 35 KW RR class boiler to deliver 380 litres in 10
minutes would cost far more than the ACV Heatmaster. Ever thought some
people might have looked into this? And have done for the past 7
years.

Probably, and I suspect are more discerning than you regarding
practicality and performance.

You are choosing best case numbers rather than reality.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 16:07:48 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 13:30:55 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

It delivers 380 litres per minute.

No it doesn't. Try a tenth of that for a limited time.

Do you have any concrete evidence that disproves the makers data? If
so I would be interested to know.

The 15 litres per minute is a
welcome backup.

It would be if it actually achieved it. However, this only happens
under a limited set of conditions.

Again, if you have any concrete evidence that disproves the makers data
I would be interested.

I don't see many situations where the 380 litres would
be exhausted.

At 45 degrees, I can.

You are still confused, or drunk.

I'm never either.

Last night you were certainly drunk.

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

That sounds like a typical IMM phrase.

He does impress.

Ah bless....

You are talking to yourself again aren't you IMM.

Another one.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 16:35:28 -0700, wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Most do not at all. 50% of all new homes still have tanks and
cylinders taking up the airing cupboard and gravity showers. My buyers
would not tolerate such poor performance and clutter.

For a start I'd dispute this. Most new houses are built down to a price -
and costs certainly rule out a storage system. It's far cheaper to install
a combi.

The only combis I have seen in new houses are Powermaxes and Gledhill
Gulfsteams. Most have had cheap cylinders cluttering the airing
cupboards and boilers in the kitchen of all places.

So you are proposing fitting a box which is larger that a cylinder and
may well not fit into a typical airing cupboard.

I'm not proposing anything.

It certainly won't
fit into the standard kitchen footprints for appliances.

Therefore the conventional system makes a better use of space.

Like a kitchen cupboard taken up by a noisy boiler.

- The boiler can fit into a wall cupboard space rather than using up
more than an appliance floor footprint; or easily into a loft.

- A conventional cylinder is smaller than one of your box packages and
uses less space in a cupboard.

A Powermax or Viessmann 33 is neat and smaller.

I have seem many
Megaflows which don't liberate space in the house, just eliminating a
tank and power shower pump.

But if this was the case, they're supplying performance - which your
preferred systems can't match. That your buyers have no clue says much
about them.

My viewers and buyers are mainly foreign, who expect high performance
from heating, baths, showers and top kitchens and well fitted
bathrooms.

.. and who don't have the experience of anything to compare against.

You are insulting them. They do have experience of houses, most of
better specification that the avarage British house.

I can't speak for what goes in North Yorkshire.

.. or anywhere else outside a relatively limited market.

North London has about 3 or 4 million people in it.

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

So were do you place your Combi boilers, in the loft, garage,
outhouse,

Anywhere out of the way not restricting expansion and bathroom and
kitchen fitting.

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

So were do you place your Combi boilers, in the loft, garage,
outhouse,

Anywhere out of the way not restricting expansion and bathroom and
kitchen fitting.

You mean anywhere that is thus inconvenient, a typical developers
solution, clueless as they never have to live in their own
creations....

Andy Hall

On 18 Sep 2005 03:26:20 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 16:35:28 -0700,
wrote:

It certainly won't
fit into the standard kitchen footprints for appliances.

Therefore the conventional system makes a better use of space.

Like a kitchen cupboard taken up by a noisy boiler.

Only if you choose a noisy boiler.

- The boiler can fit into a wall cupboard space rather than using up
more than an appliance floor footprint; or easily into a loft.

- A conventional cylinder is smaller than one of your box packages and
uses less space in a cupboard.

A Powermax or Viessmann 33 is neat and smaller.

... Fine, but they are still a compromise.

Viessmann make good products, but the Vitodens 333 is still larger
than a HW cylinder for consideration for housing in an airing cupboard
and only has 85 litres of HW storage. This is not going to be a
great performer.

As the manufacturer says - they are intended for people who don't know
whether they need a storage system or combi.

Thus they fall short of what can be achieved by a storage system and
achieve nothing in terms of usable space saving.

I have seem many
Megaflows which don't liberate space in the house, just eliminating a
tank and power shower pump.

But if this was the case, they're supplying performance - which your
preferred systems can't match. That your buyers have no clue says much
about them.

My viewers and buyers are mainly foreign, who expect high performance
from heating, baths, showers and top kitchens and well fitted
bathrooms.

.. and who don't have the experience of anything to compare against.

You are insulting them.

The boot is on the other foot here. How many of them have seen a
properly designed and implemented storage system?

They do have experience of houses, most of
better specification that the avarage British house.

Yes, but you are trying to sell them refurbished British houses using
a technology that is not well suited to that environment.

If they want to buy it, then fine.

I can't speak for what goes in North Yorkshire.

.. or anywhere else outside a relatively limited market.

North London has about 3 or 4 million people in it.

I'm sure. But how many naive foreign buyers?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On 18 Sep 2005 03:18:56 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 16:07:48 -0700,
wrote:

In the winter, the cold water temperature can easily be 5 degrees.
35kW will produce a 15lpm flow rate for a temperature rise of 35
degrees - i.e. an output temperature of 40 degrees.

It delivers 380 litres per minute.

No it doesn't. Try a tenth of that for a limited time.

Do you have any concrete evidence that disproves the makers data? If
so I would be interested to know.

The maker's data is correct *as far as it goes*. The issue is that
the case quoted is a best case one for a scenario that is pretty
useless. 15 litres/min is only at less than 35 degrees.

The concrete evidence is in basic laws of thermodynamics where

Energy = mass x specific heat x temperature rise or fall.

Taking 35kw and 15 litres (very close to 15kg) per minute and the
specific heat capacity of water of 4180 J/kg.K gives

35000/((15 x 4180)/60) for achievable temperature rise and a result
of 33.5 degrees.

Thus if the cold supply is at 5 degrees, which is certainly possible
in winter (5-8 is the normal range), the output temperature can only
be around 40 degrees at the 15 lpm continuous flow rate.

There are thousands of sites on the internet on schoolboy physics
which cover this principle.

If you look at the more meaningful figures of how many litres/hour are
produced, the number at 45 degrees (dt=35) drops to a disappointing
18lpm.

The 15 litres per minute is a
welcome backup.

It would be if it actually achieved it. However, this only happens
under a limited set of conditions.

Again, if you have any concrete evidence that disproves the makers data
I would be interested.

Look at the equation above.

If you plug in numbers for higher temperatures, the continuous flow
rate is even less.

I don't see many situations where the 380 litres would
be exhausted.

At 45 degrees, I can.

You are still confused, or drunk.

I'm never either.

Last night you were certainly drunk.

Nope. Didn't touch a drop.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

The only spoiler is the quoted 37 minute recovery. The 23lpm (38-15)

delta
35 water should only take 23*10/15 minutes to recover, which is just

under
16 minutes, although it might just be to cover a slow ramping down of

the
recovery rate towards the end, which might suggest an indirect coil

method
of heating.

If it is an unvented cylinder without TMV at 60C, then I make the size
(10*(38-15)) * (35 / 55) = 146L plus a bit.

Christian.

Go to their web site http://www.acv-uk.com. I downloaded the
installation instructions. It is the only domestic combi from a large
commercial range.

IMM said it was a hybrid of unvented cylinder and thermal store. From
the manual: 108.5 litres in the thermal store (it says heating circuit
capacity) and a total of 189 litres which means the unvented cylinder
side is 80 litres. The unvented cylinder is totally immersed within the
thermal store water. The heating is taken from the thermal store water.
The heat exchanger runs right through the centre of the two tanks.

The DHW enters into a coil right at the bottom of the cylinder and then
fills the unvented cylinder at the top after leaving the coil. I think
this is to keep the bottom cool for the condensing part.

The 37 minutes recovery is from cold to 80 centigrade. It will always
give 15 litres per minute minimum. In less than 17 minutes a full bath
could be drawn off (half the 38 litre for 10 minutes, which is 190
litres). If the bath is 125 litres then about 12 minutes or so, 10
minutes or les if replying on the 15 litres per minutes to finish off
at the end of the fill. This thing looks very impressive to me and
performs better than a separate cylinder, and cheaper as well. A 35 KW
Viessmann, or ACV boiler, a tank in tank and the controls to deliver
380 litres in 10 minutes costs more than the Heatmaster and takes up
far more space and time to connect up. I am into delivering flows to at
least 1 bathroom and en-suite, more usually two full bathrooms, and
this baby delivers without any fuss and all in one box which is easy to
connect up. It can be unvented from the mains, or vented if the mains
can't cope, and can't be replaced, and then pumped from a tank. It is
on the list of choices.

I haven't read all this thread but some good stuff here at last. You have
it right. The ACV Heatmaster is a combination of:

1. Unvented cylinder,
2. Thermal store
3. Infinitely continuous combi,

There is no compromise. It uses a stainless steel tank-in-tank and a cool
bottom section to promote efficiency. The best on the market and it does
exactly what it says on the box. ACV are a top quality manufacturer, with
offices all over the world, who invented the tank-in-tank, which has been
available to the commercial market in the UK for many years. ACV have
introduced a domestic range of tank-in-tanks and the ACV Heatmaster in the
UK this year - the domestic Heatmaster 35kW been here a matter of months.
Tank-in tanks are used extensively on the Continent, because of the rapid
re-heat, resistance to corrosion and scale - the best you can get.

The Heatmaster promotes condensing efficiency by having a near sealed,
bottom section that has the DHW coil running through it to pre-heat the DHW,
and keep the bottom section cool. The CH return also enters this bottom
cooler section too. The DHW enters the bottom pre-heat coil and then into
the upper inner stainless steel cylinder (the tank in the tank). This upper
tank is heated from all sides, even the top, being totally immersed in the
thermal store water - It hangs. The stainless gas heat exchanger runs right
though the two cylinders (tanks) and out the bottom.

The figures 380 litres in 10 minutes have been mentioned a lot. To get that
by using a separate tank-in-tank cylinder you would need a large cylinder
and a quality 35kW boiler. The cost is more than the Heatmaster, as you have
gleaned, and no infinitely continuous 15 litres/min combi performance that
the Heatmaster offers. To get the 380 litres in 10 mins using a normal
stainless steel indirect cylinder you would need a large 360 litres
cylinder, which would be bigger than the Heatmaster itself and then the
boiler to try and locate somewhere....and cost more. The Heatmaster, as long
as the thermal store inhibitor is replaced every 4 years, should last 50
years. It is simple, with the burner being a detachable standard part
modulating pre-mix commercial unit.

For a full two bathroom property the Heatmaster is brilliant and great value
for money. It will do three baths as long as three are not run at the same
time (a rare event in a domestic house).

Don't make issue with the lunatics as they have nothing to offer for anyone
to gain from, you have already figured it out. They go boozing with Phil
Kyle. If I had to replace my system right now the Heatmaster would be right
at the top of the list. It is a one off purchase as it will probably
outlive most people.

David

In article .com,
writes

Most housebuilders give this

Most do not at all. 50% of all new homes still have tanks and
cylinders taking up the airing cupboard and gravity showers. My buyers
would not tolerate such poor performance and clutter.

That's nonsense, most people prefer traditional systems, you are mixing
up what you're selling, with what people want (they are not necessarily
the same thing) your logic is that people won't buy a property with an
"inadequate" heating system which, again, is nonsense. People buy houses
all the time with inadequate or unsuitable something or other, you
parcel your properties up to sell, fair enough but don't mistake that
for an approval that you have hit on a perfect product, all you've done
is packaged it properly. Look at Gerald Ratner, none of his customers
realised he sold crap until he told them.

and most of them build crap houses that
look good spec wise.

Soem are crap, yet some are quite decent. You can't generalise.

I think you're mixing ideals here, its easy to
dress something up to sell but that doesn't mean the "discerning" buyer
has got something that works for them, many crap products are sold by
using glossy brochures, clever specs and salesmanship,

They look around and see what they are getting. The good points are
pointed out to them: Tower Showers at high pressure, boarded lofts with
shoot down ladders and lights up there. Downlighters, fully equipped
and modern kitchens, fully equipped and modern bathrooms, laminated
floors, conservatories, rewired, repiped, and the rest.

Again its packaging and well done too you for putting together something
that sells.

[...]

and selling
--
David
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
It delivers 380 litres per minute.

No it doesn't. Try a tenth of that for a limited time.

Do you have any concrete evidence that disproves the makers data? If
so I would be interested to know.

FFS, do the calculation for a pipe size to deliver 380 litres a minute.
You're into fire appliance territory.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:
It delivers 380 litres per minute.

No it doesn't. Try a tenth of that for a limited time.

Do you have any concrete evidence that disproves the makers data? If
so I would be interested to know.

FFS, do the calculation for a pipe size to deliver 380 litres a minute.
You're into fire appliance territory.

You were boasting you could get 30 l/min from your hot tap.What calcs did
you do? The finger in the air electric caber calculations. 38 l/min from a
25mm MDPE pipe is quite common.

You boasted a combi could not beat your 30 l/min and if one did you would go
out and buy it. One has so when are buying it? A Welsher eh!

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM