David wrote:
In article .com,
writes

Andy Hall wrote:
On 16 Sep 2005 07:57:15 -0700,
wrote:

I agree with you. I have never renovated a period property.

It's probably best that you don't.

About the only sensible thing you have said on this thread.

If I did I
would install fitments to compliment the d=E9cor. It is logical as it
would get the asking price and hopefully sell quickly. I would be wea=

ry
of such properties as I don't fully understand that market and may
get bitten.

The objective of restoring period properties is not just about making
a quick buck.

Anything old, antiques and all that, is exactly about making quick
bucks. Rennovating to high quality is not. It is about quality and
giving the buyers what they want, which is clean modern designs in 90%
of cases.

Most housebuilders give this

Most do not at all. 50% of all new homes still have tanks and
cylinders taking up the airing cupboard and gravity showers. My buyers
would not tolerate such poor performance and clutter.

and most of them build crap houses that
look good spec wise.

Soem are crap, yet some are quite decent. You can't generalise.

I think you're mixing ideals here, its easy to
dress something up to sell but that doesn't mean the "discerning" buyer
has got something that works for them, many crap products are sold by
using glossy brochures, clever specs and salesmanship,

They look around and see what they are getting. The good points are
pointed out to them: Tower Showers at high pressure, boarded lofts with
shoot down ladders and lights up there. Downlighters, fully equipped
and modern kitchens, fully equipped and modern bathrooms, laminated
floors, conservatories, rewired, repiped, and the rest.

I think you give
you're buyers too much credit, most housebuyers make their decision long
before they have checked that there are mixer taps and "state of the
art" water heating systems.

These are not new homes, they are oldish houses renovated. I "never"
underestimate the buyers. Firstly function. The showers, baths and CH
have to perform. Enough sockets about. double glazing, washing machines
piped in and the same with dishwashers, lots of space. Then form,
decor, modern kitchen and utility room (could be function as well) and
bathroom and en-suite (essential these days), which must have modern
mixers (modern bathroom taps and mixer sell as they exude quality, I
try to fit wall mounted side-on bath mixers), modern lighting which may
be downlighters or wall lights on dimmers, no pipes or cables on show,
nice plain garden with broad leaf pot plants, quality door handles and
quality front door. =20

Just common sense.

--=20
David