Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 02:44:41 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:45:35 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Please do refer to my other post. The time is not unspecified, it is
clearly 10 minutes. It will fill a 380 litre bath in 10 minutes and a
normal bath in a few minutes.

That is not what they explicitly say in the spec.

They give the rate per 10 minutes which is not the same and it cannot
be continuous.

As far as I interpret the figures it is saying (at delta 35):

38lpm for 10 minutes from full store to depleted.
18lpm for 60 minutes from full store to depleted.
15lpm continuous.

With a 37 minute recovery.

In which case, I would conclude (and from the casing dimensions) that it has
a very sizeable store. Assuming it is essentially a heatbank, I'd guess
(10*(38-15)) * (35 / 70) = 115L (assuming heat store at 75C, incoming mains
at 5C), plus a few litres for inefficiency, which is essentially a standard
450x900 cylinder. Indeed, it sounds so like it, it probably is it.

This is a reasonable conclusion. My point about this product is that
the manufacturer obfuscates this information and quotes from the best
case conditions.

Christian is assuming and assumed wrong. As Christian has pointed out,
they are underselling the product. I see no lies or clouding of
information, as ACV are a reputable commercial manufacturer.

I didn't say that lies were being told. However, important
information is missing from the specifications and there is
considerable license in the brochure.

I looked at the installation manual. It is there.

They don't
sell to B&Q.

That's neither here or there.

You must get the point and the market the company is selling to.

The only spoiler is the quoted 37 minute recovery.

This is disappointing.

It "never" delivers less than 15 litres per minute at any time, which
is great for showers.

Untrue. That would assume a temperature increase of 35 degrees. The
throughput would be less if a higher temperature than 40 degrees were
required in the winter.

The makers say it doesn't go below 15 litres, so do the dealers who I
spoke to who deal with many makers products, not only ACV. I prefer to
believe them rather than a confused internet nerd.

There is nothing worse than being in a shower and
the water runs cold.

I agree. With a properly specified storage system as opposed to a
compromise box, it is easily possible to have a plentiful supply.

I see no compromise at all. It is the best of all worlds. Please read
the manual. 38 litres per minute is plentiful supply.

The 37 minutes recovery is to take it back to
delivering two baths simultaneously.

Meaningless statement unless you specify the flow rate entailed by
that.

I stated that.

As I have pointed out, wait about
8 or 10 minutes and the average bath will be filled in a few minutes.

You would need to define the term "average bath" for that statement to
be meaingful.

150 litres do you?

And it also does the CH as well, and of RR stainless steel quality.

It has components made from stainless steel. I couldn't see the
grade specified.

ACV are a renowned quality manufacturer, being the fist to use
stainless steel cylinders and tank in tanks. I think they know what
they are on about.

You
are in effect saying a Ravenheat and a cheap Screwfix tank and cylinder
is superior.

I'm not saying that at all.

You are, that is clear.

However, it is possible to design a
proper storage system from high quality components and to exceed the
performance of the ACV product comfortably. I know because I've done
it.

I doubt it very much in the size (very important), performance (it is a
combination of storage and a combi, so never runs out of hot water)
efficiency and price ACV have achieved. With all the space in the world
and a bottomless pit of money I could have 1000 litres per minute
filling a 500 litre bath. However, I live in the real world.

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl