Karl Townsend

Default Cat Pee Proof

I've separated all my tool steel stock into small piles and put them in
plastic tubs that are about 10" wide by 18" deep and 6" high. In turn, these
tubs are placed anywhere there's an empty spot under something.

Last week, I noticed water in the bottom of my A2 tub. WTF? The metal had
REALLY corroded bad. Stunk too. So I pressure washed it out, dried in the
sun and sprayed down with LPS.

This morning I walk down, and a different tub has liquid in it. One sniff
told me the source. SOCKS! My SO's favorite cat. If I tell my honey to
choose between Socks and me, I'll be a lookin' for a new place to live. The
shop is his place, he allows me in if I keep fresh food and litter boxes.

So what could I put in the tubs to either make the cat not pee there
(impossible I think). Or something to keep my stock from corroding to death
when he does his thing next time?

Karl

SteveB

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Fi-shock. Look it up on Google. You can buy just the electrical unit for
about $25. Two wires, one to the metal, one to ground. Or put the plastic
tub on a sheet of galvanized, and the other wire to the metal inside the
tub. Just one contact with the energized unit will cure the cat for life
from going into your metal. And it is hilarious as hell if you get the
chance to watch them, especially when they pee on it and make the
connection. This will not kill the cat, and is a quick permanent cheap
solution. Don't tell your SO about it. Keep it around for stray dogs
getting in garbage cans, raccoons, birds, and other animals that become a
pest.

You're welcome.

Steve

Robert Swinney

Citrus, Karl. Squirt lemon juice liberally over the contents of your tubs.
Cats are repelled by citrus. And by chance if it doesn't work, you'll be
none the wiser. The citrus will neutralize the cat pee odor and you won't
be able to tell where that pesky corrosion is coming from.

Bob Swinney

[...]

Rex B

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:45:03 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

||"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
hlink.net...
|| I've separated all my tool steel stock into small piles and put them in
|| plastic tubs that are about 10" wide by 18" deep and 6" high. In turn,
|| these tubs are placed anywhere there's an empty spot under something.
|| Last week, I noticed water in the bottom of my A2 tub. WTF? The metal had
|| REALLY corroded bad. Stunk too. So I pressure washed it out, dried in the
|| sun and sprayed down with LPS.
|| This morning I walk down, and a different tub has liquid in it. One sniff
|| told me the source. SOCKS! My SO's favorite cat. If I tell my honey to
|| choose between Socks and me, I'll be a lookin' for a new place to live.
|| The shop is his place, he allows me in if I keep fresh food and litter
|| boxes.
|| So what could I put in the tubs to either make the cat not pee there
|| (impossible I think). Or something to keep my stock from corroding to
|| death when he does his thing next time?
|| Karl
||Fi-shock. Look it up on Google. You can buy just the electrical unit for
||about $25. Two wires, one to the metal, one to ground. Or put the plastic
||tub on a sheet of galvanized, and the other wire to the metal inside the
||tub. Just one contact with the energized unit will cure the cat for life
||from going into your metal. And it is hilarious as hell if you get the
||chance to watch them, especially when they pee on it and make the
||connection. This will not kill the cat, and is a quick permanent cheap
||solution. Don't tell your SO about it. Keep it around for stray dogs
||getting in garbage cans, raccoons, birds, and other animals that become a
||pest.

You beat me to it. But instead of paying $25, use that (low-voltage, low
wattage) wall-wart that you have forgotten what it was for. For that matter a 9
Volt transistor radio battery would work great - Put one to your tongue for a
'taste'. Now imagine that on the end of your pecker. Put a couple of alligator
clips on it and hook up as indicated. Let Socks complete the circuit.

A friend of mind applied this technique to a neighborhood free-range tomcat that
was rusting the LR wheel of his AMX on a regular bassis. Some screen wire laid
on the driveway beside the wheel, and a 110V cord connected to that and the
bumper (back when they were steel). A banshee howl interrupted the 10:00 news,
and the problem ...stopped.

Texas Parts Guy

Boris Beizer

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ink.net...

So what could I put in the tubs to either make the cat not pee there
(impossible I think). Or something to keep my stock from corroding to

death
when he does his thing next time?

Advice from a fellow cat owner. I think you're looking at it the wrong way.
A cat doesn't suddenly start to pee in new places for no reason. There are
several possibilities:

1. He's got a urinary problem -- not uncommon with altered male cats. You
should take him to the vet for a check up, to rule that possibility out.
Check to see if he is ****ing in the bins instead of in the litter box. If
there's plenty of pee in the litter box, then he's probably marking
territory -- see 4 below. If there's little or no pee in the litter box it
could be 2 or 3 below.

2. You're not keeping the litter box clean enough. If I miss two days, I
can expect to find a lump of cat doo on my desk.

3. You've ****ed him off in some way and he's sending you a message.
Think back to when he started this routine and figure out what it is you did
to annoy him.

4. He's marking territory. This is a tough one to fix. Moth balls are
okay and a deterent -- unless he gets really serious about it and starts
****ing on the mothballs. You can also start moving the bins around at a
random. Take the metal out of the various bins, clean them very thoroughly
with strong-smelling detergent, except for one that you leave as stinky as
he gets it. Put a bit of litter in that one and see if he goes for it.
You might get him to be satisfied with the idea that that one bin is for
him. Also, put some sharp (e.g., rods) upright around the edges so that he
doesn't have a safe place to squat .. cats hate to have their comfort
assailed.

5. A really persistent territory marker can't be easily cured. You might
try chucking him up in a four-jaw, or mounted between centers in the obvious
places, with a lathe dog around his neck. As a less drastic measure, I
found that all of my cats absolutely hated the noise of the vaccum cleaner
and the air compressor. Just turn one of them on when he enters the shop
and keep the litter box elsewhere.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com

Gunner

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:27:17 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

[...]

moth balls and a lid

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:49:01 GMT, "Boris Beizer"
calmly ranted:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
link.net...

So what could I put in the tubs to either make the cat not pee there
(impossible I think). Or something to keep my stock from corroding to

death
when he does his thing next time?

Advice from a fellow cat owner. I think you're looking at it the wrong way.
A cat doesn't suddenly start to pee in new places for no reason. There are
several possibilities:

2. You're not keeping the litter box clean enough. If I miss two days, I
can expect to find a lump of cat doo on my desk.

You, sir, are WAAAAAAAAAY too tolerant. I'd be eating Shanghai
Special Delight that very night if that happened.

3. You've ****ed him off in some way and he's sending you a message.
Think back to when he started this routine and figure out what it is you did
to annoy him.

Uh, huh. Scenario 2: Why did the kid break your windshield?
A: Because you parked directly in his path to his neighbor's
house and forced him to take 11 extra steps to get there.
It's your fault, not his. I love psychologists.

5. A really persistent territory marker can't be easily cured. You might
try chucking him up in a four-jaw, or mounted between centers in the obvious
places, with a lathe dog around his neck. As a less drastic measure, I
found that all of my cats absolutely hated the noise of the vaccum cleaner
and the air compressor. Just turn one of them on when he enters the shop
and keep the litter box elsewhere.

Bingo! "Honey, Socks is your cat and he's ruining my shop.
Please find another place to keep the litter box and I'll
consider letting both of you stay." Or something like that.

Otherwise, maybe he could try the FastOrange on rags strewn
about the shop. Or find something else which is pleasant to
humans but not to Socks. The fence charger idea might be a
last step if he's too WOOS to confront said cat's owner.

-
- Let Exxon send their own troops -
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming

Douglas R. Probst

[...]

Is he fixed? Is the litter box cleaned every day? Even if both are answered
yes, I would think a 10x18x6 container would look like a litter box to a
cat. I think the Lid is the answer.. Good luck
Doug

Karl Townsend

Thanks, everybody for all the tips.

The SO cleaned everything up and is going to try the Orange repellent thing.
We have gotten lazy at times about changing his litter box. He used to just
s#$%t on the floor to make his point - this must be the next step.

If that don't work, I'll be a hooking up the metal to my fence charger. Its
an International Weed Chopper - strongest charger made, they don't sell them
anymore because they started too many fires. You should be able to hear the
cat all the way to California.

If its hopeless, I'll have to put everything in containers with tops or
lids. This would mean all new much larger containers. Bet the SO buys 'em
for Xmas to avoid me torturing the cat.

Karl

Rex B

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:44:33 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
||Otherwise, maybe he could try the FastOrange on rags strewn
||about the shop.

Now I'm curious. What's this about?
Texas Parts Guy

Errol Groff

Speaking of moth balls reminds me of the old question,

What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?

Beer nuts $1.49 a bag, deer nuts always under a buck!

I am WAY too easily amused.

wrote:

[...]

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Regional Technical School
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811
jim rozen

In article et, Boris Beizer
says...

... As a less drastic measure, I
found that all of my cats absolutely hated the noise of the vaccum cleaner
and the air compressor.

No kidding. Ever see a cat levitate? Ours does when
I turn the compressor on. They also skulk around when
they even *see* the vacuum cleaner come out. Hate
the thing.

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article . net, Karl Townsend
says...

So what could I put in the tubs

My advice is to simply ban the cat from your shop.
That's what I do, I don't feel right about them
waltzing around where there are chips or oil.

So the rule is, no cats in the basement shop.

Tell your SO that its for the cat's own good.

Jim

please reply to:
Robert Galloway

Karl,
give naphthalene a try.

See:
http://www.oehha.ca.gov/air/chronic_rels/pdf/91203.pdf

should be used where there is adequate ventilation but will most likely
keep the cat out of the tubs.

bob g.

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Robert Galloway

Dear Boris,
You've got truth on your side but... I'm going to spend time
worrying about what I may have done to **** off a cat? I'm closer to
the guy who suggested burying the cat in the back yard. I'm not quite
there but to spend a lot of time psychoanalyzing the cat when the brute
force approach will probably work...?

bob g.

Boris Beizer wrote:

[...]

David Billington

Yes, my neighbours cat which was a house cat for 2 years before they
got it, treated my garage flat roof as a litter box for a year. Took
some time to figure out what the scrapping noise was until I saw the cat
at it from the neighbours window. I guess it just figured my garage roof
was an extremely large litter tray. Probably put off by the lack of depth.

Douglas R. Probst wrote:

[...]

Robert Galloway

I doubt very much one nine volt battery will do squat. The resistance
in the path from the metal, up the urine stream and to the cat is low.
The resistance between the cat's feet and whatever he's standing on is
high. I think you'll need a little more than nine volts to get his
attention. But, rather than speculate, get a piece of mesh, a few feet
of copper wire and a nine volt battery and set this up in your own
toilet. Let's be scientific about this.

bob g.

Daven Thrice wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:24:43 GMT, the renowned (Rex B)
wrote:

You beat me to it. But instead of paying $25, use that (low-voltage, low
wattage) wall-wart that you have forgotten what it was for. For that
matter a 9
Volt transistor radio battery would work great - Put one to your tongue
for a
'taste'. Now imagine that on the end of your pecker.

Oh my!

Put a couple of alligator
clips on it and hook up as indicated. Let Socks complete the circuit.

Snap several of those cheap dollar store 9V batteries together in
series for more voltage and plenty enough current..

C'mon, folks, lets be humane here. I agree the cat is a problem and that
this is a good way to deal with it. We don't want to blow its dick off, or
kill it, we just want it to stop peeing on the metal. Try one battery, if
that don't work, I'm pretty sure two will do the trick.

dt

jk

jim rozen wrote:

No kidding. Ever see a cat levitate? Ours does when
I turn the compressor on. They also skulk around when
they even *see* the vacuum cleaner come out. Hate
the thing.

Ours can't wait until it comes out. I don't think she likes the noise,
but will tolerate it, so that she can chase the self retracting cord
when we are done with it. [It is not just people that are easily
amused]
jk
Gunner

wrote:

3. You've ****ed him off in some way and he's sending you a message.
Think back to when he started this routine and figure out what it is you did
to annoy him.

Uh, huh. Scenario 2: Why did the kid break your windshield?
A: Because you parked directly in his path to his neighbor's
house and forced him to take 11 extra steps to get there.
It's your fault, not his. I love psychologists.

We are talking two separate life forms here. While the neighbors kids
may well be aliens from Arcturis 4....cats are from their own section
of the universal ether.

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:32:18 -0500, Robert Galloway
calmly ranted:

I doubt very much one nine volt battery will do squat. The resistance

Touch one to your tongue and tell me you are OK with that
kind of current going through your own pecker, Bob.
I dare ya.

----
A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Old Nick

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:46:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:32:18 -0500, Robert Galloway
calmly ranted:

I doubt very much one nine volt battery will do squat. The resistance

Touch one to your tongue and tell me you are OK with that
kind of current going through your own pecker, Bob.
I dare ya.

But the point is that unless the ground is wet, the parallel is not
there, (but the series is?)....sorry..the cat's feet and the mesh etc
are quite high resistance. For a true example take the 9V battery and
a piece of wire. Place one end of the wire on the sole of your foot,
stand on it, and then complete the wire - battery - - battery + -
tongue circuit. Mild acid taste, maybe a very faint tingle (careful,
the cat might be back for _more_ of that one G), unless you really
wet the foot-wire connection......and even then, probably.
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
Old Nick

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:09:37 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Thanks, everybody for all the tips.

The SO cleaned everything up and is going to try the Orange repellent thing.
We have gotten lazy at times about changing his litter box. He used to just
s#$%t on the floor to make his point - this must be the next step.

If that don't work, I'll be a hooking up the metal to my fence charger. Its
an International Weed Chopper - strongest charger made, they don't sell them
anymore because they started too many fires. You should be able to hear the
cat all the way to California.

I do wonder how much
- you want to keep your SO
- SO loves her cat.

Please try a lower voltage. Start at 9-12v and then go from there in
12V steps. Car batteries or wall warts in series. Use metal wire fly
screen or whatever on the floor.

In my old days, 36 volts was considered the minimum dangerous,
possibly fatal (maximum safe?) voltage under foreseeable circumstances
(wet ground and hand contact etc).

We discussed peeing on an electric fence before in another thread.
Seriously. That fence charger up the donger could kill the cat or
worse, injure its insides. While the rest of the circuit is not very
good, the direct **** stream is, and it's right into the cat's body,
where everything is basically salt water plus electrically-controlled
nerve tissue from then on!

Also electric fences are designed to overcome the often very poor
ground conduction in a paddock. I have seen a kangaroo killed trying
to get under an electric fence on wet grass. It seemed that the jolts
simply went right through its chest. It probably took several bumps,
but it did do it. I have had a good belt ffrrroooommmmmm an n n n
.......s'ok... electric fence (touched it with a shovel blade and I had
hold of the ferrule) and it really made my heart work. Another one I
had was not been so bad when I touched simply by hand......with boots
on remember.

If its hopeless, I'll have to put everything in containers with tops or
lids. This would mean all new much larger containers. Bet the SO buys 'em
for Xmas to avoid me torturing the cat.

By Christmas you will either have no cat or no tools.
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
Old Nick

On 16 Sep 2004 15:26:26 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

In article . net, Karl Townsend
says...

So what could I put in the tubs

My advice is to simply ban the cat from your shop.
That's what I do, I don't feel right about them
waltzing around where there are chips or oil.

So the rule is, no cats in the basement shop.

Tell your SO that its for the cat's own good.

My thoughts exactly. Fumes, acid, chips, oil, dust etc etc, depending
on the work being done.
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
Gerald Miller

wrote:

[...]

A high speed belt grinder works well.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:46:18 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

wrote:

3. You've ****ed him off in some way and he's sending you a message.
Think back to when he started this routine and figure out what it is you did
to annoy him.

Uh, huh. Scenario 2: Why did the kid break your windshield?
A: Because you parked directly in his path to his neighbor's
house and forced him to take 11 extra steps to get there.
It's your fault, not his. I love psychologists.

We are talking two separate life forms here. While the neighbors kids
may well be aliens from Arcturis 4....cats are from their own section
of the universal ether.

Is that why dogs come when you call and cats have
answering machines?

---
Is it time for your medication or mine?
http://diversify.com Custom Website Applications

Gerald Miller

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:21:50 -0700, jk wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

No kidding. Ever see a cat levitate? Ours does when
I turn the compressor on. They also skulk around when
they even *see* the vacuum cleaner come out. Hate
the thing.

Ours can't wait until it comes out. I don't think she likes the noise,
but will tolerate it, so that she can chase the self retracting cord
when we are done with it. [It is not just people that are easily
amused]
jk

Our Bichon gets excited when the dust mop comes out -
puppy-on-a-stick
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Roger Shoaf

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article et, Boris

Beizer
says...

... As a less drastic measure, I
found that all of my cats absolutely hated the noise of the vaccum

cleaner
and the air compressor.

No kidding. Ever see a cat levitate? Ours does when
I turn the compressor on. They also skulk around when
they even *see* the vacuum cleaner come out. Hate
the thing.

At my lock shop we had a small vacuum and the then kitten now cat would go
gonzo each time some one switched on the swarf sucker.

To cure this, I picked him up held him against the machine and switched it
on. After several sessions, he no longer feared the vacuum.

This cat also would sleep with the dog and also shakes hands and gives high
fives for a crunchy Pounce.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:51:02 GMT, Gerald Miller
wrote:

Our Bichon gets excited when the dust mop comes out -
puppy-on-a-stick

Clue: a Bichon Frise IS a dust mop. With or without a stick. ;-)

To Dogs, people are "Gods". To Cats, People are "Staff".

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:25:20 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

[...]

************************************************* ****

In an odd sort of way volts are irrelevant - however
many volts you apply, if little or no current flows, there's
no discouraging shock.

About 1mA through a sensitive area should be enough
enough to severely discourage. Electric chairs use many amps
but this is no indication of a safety limit! Ground fault
interrupters that I've played with trigger at less than 20mA
so I'd be pretty cautious about any setup that could deliver
more than 10mA.

If the ground plane is conducting, the controlling
factor will be the skin on the cats possibly bone dry paw.
If this is really dry and horny (no not that sort!) it can
be in the many megohm range but the more supple pads of a
younger cat are probably closer to tens of thousands of
ohms. More than 9v is needed to deal with this.

1mA thru say 30K ohms is 30v. BUT you must limit the
current under wet conditions. Use a 4.7 K ohm, or better
still, to be safe, 2 x 2.2 K ohm resistorin series to limit
the maximum possible current.

These are just guesstimates based on zero medical
training and very little knowledge of cats so use with
caution!

Jim

Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:22:48 -0500, the renowned "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message
I doubt very much one nine volt battery will do squat.

Well, considering urine likes to break up into droplets, this is quite true.

Come on guys, five replies and none of the posters saw Mythbusters' third
rail experiment?!

Tim

They didn't try it with a cat.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Rex B

wrote:

||I doubt very much one nine volt battery will do squat. The resistance
||in the path from the metal, up the urine stream and to the cat is low.
||The resistance between the cat's feet and whatever he's standing on is
||high. I think you'll need a little more than nine volts to get his
||attention. But, rather than speculate, get a piece of mesh, a few feet
||of copper wire and a nine volt battery and set this up in your own
||toilet. Let's be scientific about this.
||bob g.

Great idea Bob!
We'll record the 10:00 news for posterity.
Texas Parts Guy
Bob Chilcoat

My uncle heard his dog yelping in the backyard one afternoon. Dog was lying
on its back whimpering, peeing in the air, and twitching horribly. After a
while he seemed better, so my uncle decided that perhaps he was OK. An hour
or so later the same thing happened. This time he was nearer the chain link
fence around the yard. My uncle leaned against the fence to get down to
help the dog and got knocked on his rear. A quick look at the fence
revealed that the electric feed into the house had sagged onto the top of
the fence. Apparently there was enough contact or leakage to energize the
fence without blowing the fuse in the transformer. The dog never peed near
that fence again.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

wrote:

||I doubt very much one nine volt battery will do squat. The resistance
||in the path from the metal, up the urine stream and to the cat is low.
||The resistance between the cat's feet and whatever he's standing on is
||high. I think you'll need a little more than nine volts to get his
||attention. But, rather than speculate, get a piece of mesh, a few feet
||of copper wire and a nine volt battery and set this up in your own
||toilet. Let's be scientific about this.
||bob g.

Great idea Bob!
We'll record the 10:00 news for posterity.
Texas Parts Guy

Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:23:47 -0400, "ph17314"
wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
link.net...

So what could I put in the tubs to either make the cat not pee there
(impossible I think). Or something to keep my stock from corroding to
death when he does his thing next time?

ANTI-FREEZE.....g

Excuse me? He said stop the cat, not kill it - Huge difference.

Since ethylene glycol is very poisonous, and poisoning is a slow,
horrible way for any animal to die - I lost an indoor/outdoor cat just
that way, one of my neighbors was irresponsible with some sort of
poisonous substance - that is NOT funny any way you look at it.

A silly g won't cover it - That was over the line.

And if Karl or his SWMBO (who share custody of the cat in question)
ever gets close, you can expect to get smacked good for that one - and
it would be well justified.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

stud wall on top of damp proof membrane. vivienne wykes UK diy 1 August 25th 04 03:16 PM
RCA Rca t25001gy "Tamper proof" locked Bedin Electronics Repair 1 May 28th 04 11:00 AM
Damp proof membrane tzd3sw UK diy 1 March 5th 04 06:43 AM
Marples *Yellow Split Proof Handle* Chisels Kenneth Woodworking 5 December 29th 03 02:04 AM
Sound proof existing wall? Stoney Home Repair 4 July 5th 03 01:54 PM