vivienne wykes

Default stud wall on top of damp proof membrane.

Hi all,

I am laying a damp proof membrane on top of an existing ,dry, poured
concrete floor. I will the be framing and insulating the stone walls . Is
there a special fixing reqired in order not to break the damp proof barrier
when fixing the timber to the poured concrete floor?

Thanks

Jim

Alan Campbell

"vivienne wykes" wrote ...
Hi all,

I am laying a damp proof membrane on top of an existing ,dry, poured
concrete floor. I will the be framing and insulating the stone walls . Is
there a special fixing reqired in order not to break the damp proof barrier
when fixing the timber to the poured concrete floor?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim (I guess Vivienne your Saturday night name but it's Wednesday
today...),

I can't answer your question but FWIW, I noticed recently that a local
luxury house builder just bolted straight into the concrete through
the DPM - no special fixings, sealants etc. That was on a raised and
dry site so I guess there will be no problems but if your site is
moist...

One thought is to lay the DPM then cast another slab on top which you
can bolt to - only suitable if you have the height or alternatively,
you could just sit the frames on the DPM and bolt them to the walls
above DPC level which would stop them moving. Most of the forces are
down so it wouldn't require much. Perhaps a quick chat with your BCO
would be in order. I'm not sure what you would do about internal walls
though - perhaps your layout allows you to join them to each other to
prevent horizontal movement?

I'd love to hear if you get a solution so please post back if you do.

Alan (Yvonne on Saturday nights).

fixing stud to concrete and damp proof course Simon UK diy 8 May 7th 04 10:17 PM
Damp proof membrane tzd3sw UK diy 1 March 5th 04 06:43 AM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM
Damp inside loft wall Orb UK diy 2 August 22nd 03 11:18 AM
Building an internal wall - brick or stud? steve UK diy 6 July 24th 03 09:40 AM