Boris Beizer

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ink.net...

So what could I put in the tubs to either make the cat not pee there
(impossible I think). Or something to keep my stock from corroding to

death
when he does his thing next time?

Advice from a fellow cat owner. I think you're looking at it the wrong way.
A cat doesn't suddenly start to pee in new places for no reason. There are
several possibilities:

1. He's got a urinary problem -- not uncommon with altered male cats. You
should take him to the vet for a check up, to rule that possibility out.
Check to see if he is ****ing in the bins instead of in the litter box. If
there's plenty of pee in the litter box, then he's probably marking
territory -- see 4 below. If there's little or no pee in the litter box it
could be 2 or 3 below.

2. You're not keeping the litter box clean enough. If I miss two days, I
can expect to find a lump of cat doo on my desk.

3. You've ****ed him off in some way and he's sending you a message.
Think back to when he started this routine and figure out what it is you did
to annoy him.

4. He's marking territory. This is a tough one to fix. Moth balls are
okay and a deterent -- unless he gets really serious about it and starts
****ing on the mothballs. You can also start moving the bins around at a
random. Take the metal out of the various bins, clean them very thoroughly
with strong-smelling detergent, except for one that you leave as stinky as
he gets it. Put a bit of litter in that one and see if he goes for it.
You might get him to be satisfied with the idea that that one bin is for
him. Also, put some sharp (e.g., rods) upright around the edges so that he
doesn't have a safe place to squat .. cats hate to have their comfort
assailed.

5. A really persistent territory marker can't be easily cured. You might
try chucking him up in a four-jaw, or mounted between centers in the obvious
places, with a lathe dog around his neck. As a less drastic measure, I
found that all of my cats absolutely hated the noise of the vaccum cleaner
and the air compressor. Just turn one of them on when he enters the shop
and keep the litter box elsewhere.

Boris

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com