Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting pig roaster

This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28671 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Ig, other than wasting a tremendous amount of heat and potential flavor-
enriching fat-smoke, what's so great about that?

It's just a brazier with a rotisserie, and a wasteful "non-barbequer's
intuition" way to roast a shoat.

Close it in, and you build half the fire, capture all of the smoke, and
produce a superior end product.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

Simple for a welder to make, and I see those motors a lot at yard sales. I
have two that I bought for tumblers. $2 each.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus28671 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Ig, other than wasting a tremendous amount of heat and potential flavor-
enriching fat-smoke, what's so great about that?

It's just a brazier with a rotisserie, and a wasteful "non-barbequer's
intuition" way to roast a shoat.

Close it in, and you build half the fire, capture all of the smoke, and
produce a superior end product.

I actually agree with you. But the result is awesome. We are just
about to start eating this pig right now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

Simple for a welder to make, and I see those motors a lot at yard sales. I
have two that I bought for tumblers. $2 each.

I will try to make one. Need to find cheap 10 ga steel sheet though.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

Simple for a welder to make, and I see those motors a lot at yard sales.
have two that I bought for tumblers. $2 each.

I will try to make one. Need to find cheap 10 ga steel sheet though.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

If I had bought all I had found at yard sales, I would have about 25 by now.
After I got two, I quit buying. But at a buck or two apiece, they are hard
to resist, knowing there's a potential project there.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28671 fired this volley in
:

I actually agree with you. But the result is awesome. We are just
about to start eating this pig right now.

The "result" can be had in any open brazier, or even in a large enough
oven.

"REAL" barbeque requires 1)low, long heat, 2)capturing of the wood smoke
and fat smoke, to allow it to re-condense on the meat.

A shoat that small is delightful no matter how you cook it (short of
boiling), but can be so _extremely_ enhanced by proper cooking to make
eating it almost an orgasmic experience.

IF I were to make an open brazier/rotisserie for a large cut like that,
I'd make it like the American Colonial braziers that had clockwork
rotisseries (of course, mine would be electrical) and held the meat close
in front of a vertical fire box. Such an arrangement prevents fat flare-
ups that do not enhance the flavor, but only add a burnt flavor. A
decided advantage to the vertical fire boxes (with charcoal) is that one
can add fresh fuel without smoking the meat with the residues of
incompletely-lit coals, which are harsh and resinous in flavor.

Fat smoke improves flavor. Burnt fat residue on the cut of meat does
not. "Browned" fat, on the other hand, is a delicacy.

If you're not trying to capture the smoke, then prevent the fires from
reaching the meat, at all; cook only by radiant heat, not by fat fire
flare-ups.

You may have guessed, I'm a barbeque and grilling fanatic, and distinctly
HATE anyone calling a grill a "barbeque", which it ain't. T'ain't a
brazier, either, which is what you showed. Each has its merits, and its
limits.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

DC motor with a pwm controller should get you in the range.
With variable speed you could experiment with a variety of
different meats, poultry, fish, and veggies. Bodine dc gearhead
motors used to be fairly cheap on ebay. CNC cooker ?

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:38:18 -0500, Ignoramus28671
wrote:

This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

?????

actually..its pretty plain.

The boys around here tend to make em a bit more flashy....

http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/1944

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/photo/...f_train_ls.jpg
http://www.gilroydispatch.com/photo/...q_horns_ls.jpg
http://www.fabgrills.com/

etc etc.

Perhaps you could make one like 1/3 Lubyanka Square?

The meat would go in ...and come out burned to a crisp.....

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:11:18 -0500, Ignoramus28671

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

Simple for a welder to make, and I see those motors a lot at yard sales. I
have two that I bought for tumblers. $2 each.

I will try to make one. Need to find cheap 10 ga steel sheet though.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

Rotisery (sp) motors are found at many thrift stores.
Or simply make a few gears on your mill, link them with a chain to a
motor protected from the heat under the bbq..and Voila!

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28671 wrote:

This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

A real pig roaster is made out of a fuel oil tank cut so you have a hinged cover. Then
you have a couple propane burners protected by a couple discs from a farm implement.

Image of a tank. http://www.kingcookers.com/9cf7_12.jpg

Mounting it to any sort of trailer so you can move it easy is a plus.

My coworker cooks pigs for $150 or so + consumables on the side.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/1944

gunny... Again (ig almost said it right when he called it a "roaster")

What he showed: That's not a grill. That's not a barbeque. It's a brazier.

(Ig... roasting takes place in an oven or a pot placed on a fire)

OTOH... KEWl! I want one! G

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes fired this volley in
:

A real pig roaster is made out of a fuel oil tank cut so you have a
hinged cover. Then you have a couple propane burners protected by a
couple discs from a farm implement.

Wes... that might be the colloquial way where you live. There are _many_
ways to roast that pig properly.

All require a vessel which acts as an oven, along with a way to provide a
fire that usually heats the oven indirectly so flare-ups can't occur, and
never using anything but wood or charcoal for the initial cooking/smoking
(although propane is variously "acceptable" for the "sustain" part of the
cooking).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Wes fired this volley in
:

A real pig roaster is made out of a fuel oil tank cut so you have a
hinged cover. Then you have a couple propane burners protected by a
couple discs from a farm implement.

Wes... that might be the colloquial way where you live. There are _many_
ways to roast that pig properly.

All require a vessel which acts as an oven, along with a way to provide a
fire that usually heats the oven indirectly so flare-ups can't occur, and
never using anything but wood or charcoal for the initial cooking/smoking
(although propane is variously "acceptable" for the "sustain" part of the
cooking).

LLoyd

There has been decades of Internet fighting now over the term barbecuing.
Real barbecue is just that, low and slow. Most people consider grilling or
braising to be barbecuing, and the nomenclature and terminology are now
generic to all but the purists.

I have been seeing quite a few motors lately, and even the skewers with the
central long square rod, all together. I think I shall buy the next one I
see, and make a slow cooker. With the indirect low heat, you just put it
on, and come back at dinner time. I have a Brinkman smoker that I love.
You look on the chart. So many pounds of meat gets so many briquettes, and
so much water in the water tray. You get the charcoal going, put the water
in, the meat on the top grill, put the cover on, and come back when it's
done. I have done many a killer Thanksgiving turkey, standing rib roast,
prime rib, and brisket in them.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

DC motor with a pwm controller should get you in the range.
With variable speed you could experiment with a variety of
different meats, poultry, fish, and veggies. Bodine dc gearhead
motors used to be fairly cheap on ebay. CNC cooker ?

Yes, and no, because you lose on the power. I am glad that Steve B
finds so many low RPM gearmotors. I never found any. I can buy one
from Steve if he wants to part with one. I need 5-15 RPM.

I can make my own custom sprockets now with CNC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

?????

actually..its pretty plain.

The boys around here tend to make em a bit more flashy....

http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/1944

Really creative. Very awesome stuff.

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/photo/...f_train_ls.jpg
http://www.gilroydispatch.com/photo/...q_horns_ls.jpg
http://www.fabgrills.com/

etc etc.

Perhaps you could make one like 1/3 Lubyanka Square?

The meat would go in ...and come out burned to a crisp.....

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Wes fired this volley in
:

A real pig roaster is made out of a fuel oil tank cut so you have a
hinged cover. Then you have a couple propane burners protected by a
couple discs from a farm implement.

Wes... that might be the colloquial way where you live. There are _many_
ways to roast that pig properly.

Yup, I is a country bumpkin.

All require a vessel which acts as an oven, along with a way to provide a
fire that usually heats the oven indirectly so flare-ups can't occur, and
never using anything but wood or charcoal for the initial cooking/smoking
(although propane is variously "acceptable" for the "sustain" part of the
cooking).

Smoking would really add to the flavor. I love smoked meat. First time I had something
smoked, Uncle Carl bought a smoked Coho on our way up to Canada. Damn that was good
eating. Screw McDonalds.

I have a rule, I don't argue religion or BBQ. Political arguements are far safer

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Wes fired this volley in
:

A real pig roaster is made out of a fuel oil tank cut so you have a
hinged cover. Then you have a couple propane burners protected by a
couple discs from a farm implement.

Wes... that might be the colloquial way where you live. There are _many_
ways to roast that pig properly.

All require a vessel which acts as an oven, along with a way to provide a
fire that usually heats the oven indirectly so flare-ups can't occur, and
never using anything but wood or charcoal for the initial cooking/smoking
(although propane is variously "acceptable" for the "sustain" part of the
cooking).

LLoyd

Were I building something specifically for roasting pigs, I'd be
dispense with charcoal or wood for heat (provisions for smoke of
course), and get 4 or 6 replacement LP IR rotisserie burners for grills
and fire then at a 45 degree angle up at the spit from either side
below, with drip containment below, angled to lead to a 5 gal metal
grease pail below at one end, and a couple 20# LP tanks below. Lid
provisions of course, probably something rotateable and stoppable in any
position so it could be used in wind break mode vs. full cover mode as
needed. I'd also consider a 12V or 24V drive motor and a couple
batteries below so it would be operable anywhere without any need for
power i.e. middle of field.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

Simple for a welder to make, and I see those motors a lot at yard sales. I
have two that I bought for tumblers. $2 each.

I will try to make one. Need to find cheap 10 ga steel sheet though.

In our area of central PA, they make them out of old 275 gal oil
tanks. They split them lengthwise and hinge them. You of course
can't use an oxy-acetylene torch because of the explosion hazard of
cutting a drum formerly containing a petroleum product. They must use
a sawzall or a nibbler. I never spoke to someone who had made one,
but I dimly recall someone telling me you had to burn out the old
sludge before you could grill with them.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

DC motor with a pwm controller should get you in the range.
With variable speed you could experiment with a variety of
different meats, poultry, fish, and veggies. Bodine dc gearhead
motors used to be fairly cheap on ebay. CNC cooker ?

Yes, and no, because you lose on the power. I am glad that Steve B
finds so many low RPM gearmotors. I never found any. I can buy one
from Steve if he wants to part with one. I need 5-15 RPM.

I can make my own custom sprockets now with CNC.

Yes, but unless they are particularly large, it's cheaper and easier to
just buy them, Tractor Supply and similar have common ones retail cheap,
and Surpluscenter and similar have full lines cheap for the ordering.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We use 200 gallon Propane tanks that are out of date.
Little 'oil' cans are small. :-)

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 7/31/2010 8:31 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

A real pig roaster is made out of a fuel oil tank cut so you have a hinged cover. Then
you have a couple propane burners protected by a couple discs from a farm implement.

Image of a tank. http://www.kingcookers.com/9cf7_12.jpg

Mounting it to any sort of trailer so you can move it easy is a plus.

My coworker cooks pigs for $150 or so + consumables on the side.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

DC motor with a pwm controller should get you in the range.
With variable speed you could experiment with a variety of
different meats, poultry, fish, and veggies. Bodine dc gearhead
motors used to be fairly cheap on ebay. CNC cooker ?

Yes, and no, because you lose on the power. I am glad that Steve B
finds so many low RPM gearmotors. I never found any. I can buy one
from Steve if he wants to part with one. I need 5-15 RPM.

I can make my own custom sprockets now with CNC.

Not sure if it's a gear motor, just the end electric motor from an outside
grill rotisserie. There's a square socket where the main rod is inserted
that turns the meat. If you're interested, I'll send it to you.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I already looked in surpluscenter and did not find any.

5-10 RPM gearmotors are VERY rare.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Steve, is that for a chicken sized rotisserie or a pig sized rotisserie?

How much do they weigh?

I would love to get the right sized motor. I looked at every gearmotor
on ebay under $100.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in
message
[...]

I will take a pic of it and post on flickr. It looks like the chicken size.
Not very big.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 1:00*am, Ignoramus28671 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28671.invalid wrote:

I would love to get the right sized motor. I looked at every gearmotor
on ebay under $100.

Have a look at Herbach and Rademan.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I was referring to sprockets.

Surpluscenter periodically has low RPM gear motors, their availability
varies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
. 3.70...
Wes fired this volley in
:

[...]

Yours must be the vertical cylinder type . I've worn out two of those ...
now I use their horizontal type , with the firebox on the end . I've done
pork shoulders and turkeys that were almost orgasmically good . I failed at
brisket , but have learned from my mistake - ya gotta wrap it in foil and
let it rest over very low heat for a coupla hours . After reading this
thread I'm going to rig a trough to let the drippings run over to fall into
the fire the next time I smoke with it .
It also works very well for grillin' pork chops for 20 ...
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I can make sprockets very easily now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Not as easily as you think. Take a look at commercial sprockets and note
the profile of the teeth, they are not simple flat plate pieces, there
is an edge taper on both sides to allow the teeth to engage into the
chain without catching. If the teeth are flat, the chain is centered on
the sprocket, and the next chain link comes along and there is no
clearance into the chain opening and it can catch if the chain isn't
perfectly straight. The taper on the tooth allows it to fit into a non
perfectly centered chain and guide it into proper position. I believe
most of the commercial sprockets also have some heat treating to make
them more durable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I can do that easily too.

If the teeth are flat, the chain is centered on the sprocket, and
the next chain link comes along and there is no clearance into the
chain opening and it can catch if the chain isn't perfectly
straight. The taper on the tooth allows it to fit into a non
perfectly centered chain and guide it into proper position. I
believe most of the commercial sprockets also have some heat
treating to make them more durable.

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC
mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one
right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Is it worth the effort to spend a couple hours plus raw materials to
make a sprocket that you can readily buy for $5-$10? Unless the sprocket
is large, it's just not worth it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC
mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one
right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

At 5 rpm, and with the ability to make as needed, heat treating would be
overkill. Yeah, they would last longer, but just how long do they have to
last when you use it 4-8 hours a month?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC
mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one
right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

At 5 rpm, and with the ability to make as needed, heat treating would be
overkill. Yeah, they would last longer, but just how long do they have to
last when you use it 4-8 hours a month?

Yes, but you can buy the sprocket for $10 *with* heat treated teeth,
hub, etc. ready to go. On Surpluscenter.com, #35 sprockets start at $2
for the small sizes and go up to a whopping $22 for a nearly 9" dia
sprocket, still with heat treated teeth and hub ready to go.

If you need to cut a 4' diameter, segmented #100 pitch sprocket for some
giant turntable, it probably makes sense to DIY it, but not for ordinary
off the shelf sprockets.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Yours must be the vertical cylinder type . I've worn out two of those ...
now I use their horizontal type , with the firebox on the end . I've done
pork shoulders and turkeys that were almost orgasmically good . I failed at
brisket , but have learned from my mistake - ya gotta wrap it in foil and
let it rest over very low heat for a coupla hours.

Good grief, no. You *do not* foil brisket. There is never any need to
use foil on a brisket other that *after* it's done and it's going into
the refrigerator, or into a cooler to stay hot until serving.

The keys to perfect brisket are time and temperature. You smoke the
brisket around 275F for as long as it takes for the core temperature to
get up to 195F or so. If you monitor the temperature as it goes, you
will find that the temp climbs fairly linearly up to about 190F at which
point it plateaus for a while before finally starting to climb again.
What's happening at this plateau is the collagen in the brisket is
breaking down, and when the temp starts to rise again the process is
complete.

It is only after the collagen has broken down that you will get a
fork-tender brisket. For a large 15#+ brisket this process can take 18+
hours. If you don't want to tend a smoker for that long, you can cheat
by doing the first 6 hours in the smoker, and then moving to a regular
oven set at the same 275F for the remaining time. In the regular oven
you put the brisket on an elevated rack (roaster rack or similar)
sitting in a large rimmed baking sheet to contain the rendered fat.
Again *no* foil is used. Depending on how much you trimmed the fat cap
on the brisket, you may need to keep an eye on the fat level in the
baking sheet, and be prepared to remove some (turkey baster) before it
overflows.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-01, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC
mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one
right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

At 5 rpm, and with the ability to make as needed, heat treating would be
overkill. Yeah, they would last longer, but just how long do they have to
last when you use it 4-8 hours a month?

If that. I agree with you. Who gives a fsck about heat treating. If it
wears out, I will just reuse the same G code as I used to make it. But
it will not, of course, wear out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-01, Pete C. wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC
mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one
right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

At 5 rpm, and with the ability to make as needed, heat treating would be
overkill. Yeah, they would last longer, but just how long do they have to
last when you use it 4-8 hours a month?

Yes, but you can buy the sprocket for $10 *with* heat treated teeth,
hub, etc. ready to go. On Surpluscenter.com, #35 sprockets start at $2
for the small sizes and go up to a whopping $22 for a nearly 9" dia
sprocket, still with heat treated teeth and hub ready to go.

If you need to cut a 4' diameter, segmented #100 pitch sprocket for some
giant turntable, it probably makes sense to DIY it, but not for ordinary
off the shelf sprockets.

I am in this CNC frenzy right now, please do not interrupt it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-01, Pete C. wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

[...]

Hey, if I had one, I'd be playing with it all the time right now, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 10:54:53 -0500, Ignoramus32079

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Mount it high up on something..you are going to NEED a furnace if you
start making complex Stuff. Seriously. I **** you not.

No bull****.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:54:30 -0500, Ignoramus32079

On 2010-08-01, Pete C. wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

[...]

Indeed...oh hell yes...indeed!!!

Been there, done that. Ride the wave Iggy!!!