Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting pig roaster

Ignoramus28671 fired this volley in
:

I actually agree with you. But the result is awesome. We are just
about to start eating this pig right now.

The "result" can be had in any open brazier, or even in a large enough
oven.

"REAL" barbeque requires 1)low, long heat, 2)capturing of the wood smoke
and fat smoke, to allow it to re-condense on the meat.

A shoat that small is delightful no matter how you cook it (short of
boiling), but can be so _extremely_ enhanced by proper cooking to make
eating it almost an orgasmic experience.

IF I were to make an open brazier/rotisserie for a large cut like that,
I'd make it like the American Colonial braziers that had clockwork
rotisseries (of course, mine would be electrical) and held the meat close
in front of a vertical fire box. Such an arrangement prevents fat flare-
ups that do not enhance the flavor, but only add a burnt flavor. A
decided advantage to the vertical fire boxes (with charcoal) is that one
can add fresh fuel without smoking the meat with the residues of
incompletely-lit coals, which are harsh and resinous in flavor.

Fat smoke improves flavor. Burnt fat residue on the cut of meat does
not. "Browned" fat, on the other hand, is a delicacy.

If you're not trying to capture the smoke, then prevent the fires from
reaching the meat, at all; cook only by radiant heat, not by fat fire
flare-ups.

You may have guessed, I'm a barbeque and grilling fanatic, and distinctly
HATE anyone calling a grill a "barbeque", which it ain't. T'ain't a
brazier, either, which is what you showed. Each has its merits, and its
limits.

LLoyd